PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article by gamespot about the potential of storytelling within video game

darkchrono
08-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Here's an article feature within gamespot which discusses the potential of storytelling within the video game genre.

Once Upon A Time: Narrative in Video Games - Features at GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/features/6214951/index.html)

Markus. D
08-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I was more interested in the comments section to see how people would react (a nice balanced mix of preference).

Personally I think a potential great story not only requires an objective that involves the protagonist(s) crossing the threshold at somepoint, but well composed development of key characters... Which is why I think games like Infinite Discovery really grow on me. While other games like Guild Wars Prophecies/Factions are eternally lackluster in gripping substance.

Dreddz
08-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Developers need to stop being so narrow minded when it comes to stories in video games. It doesn't always have to be the same good vs evil story over and over again. The main character doesn't have to be a war torn badass that spouts one-liners at every oppotunity. There is nothing necessarily wrong with that, but its so played out at this point that it becomes tiresome.

Heavy Rain looks like the only game to have the potential to meet my demand, but the more I see of the game the more doubtful I am. I was hoping for a neo-noir psycological thriller along the lines of Mulholland Dr., but the game looks a little more clear cut than that. My guess is that they need a story thats easy to digest, because at the end of the day, kids make a large majority of game sales. And as we all know, kids are stupid and need everything spelled out for them.

I reckon the peak for storytelling in video games was with Silent Hill 2. Its the only game to truly capture that David Lynch style of storytelling that likes to mess with your head. Plus it dealt with surprisingly deep themes like child abuse and suicide. I also like how they kept a lot of things ambiguous.

KentaRawr!
08-08-2009, 04:10 PM
And as we all know, kids are stupid and need everything spelled out for them.

:(

Crimson
08-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Originality is a myth these days gamespot.

Deal with it.

krissy
08-08-2009, 09:56 PM
i once played through front mission entirely in japanese and made up my own story and it was one of the best gaming experiences i've ever had

it really does depend on the audience
people don't like crap because it's good
but because THEY get something out of it

I Don't Need A Name
08-08-2009, 10:17 PM
As corny as this will sound I think, for the most part, that the likes of Final Fantasy are the only games that really mastered story telling in the sense that you actually begin to feel for the characters.
FPS's and the like (such as Bioshock and GTA mentioned), to me, are almost devoid of story due to the game to constantly need to get the player shooting things and blowing things up, rather than creating a character to warm to.
Also, as Dreddz rightly put, Silent Hill (peaking at 2) was another example of decent story telling due to the game continuously keeping you guessing, and not shirking from reality.
Bring back more story please. You dont have to shoot everything to get a good interactivity!

Flying Arrow
10-17-2009, 06:45 PM
My opinion on plots in video games is that, for the most part, they are painfully juvenile. The worst part being that many games are dressed up like films, but neither the voice acting, dialogue or direction is up to snuff. Something like Metal Gear Solid's endless barrage of exposition would be a cinematic nightmare on the big screen. In terms of message and writing, no one else can possibly talk as much as Kojima and say less. Granted, it's entertaining as hell because he's got good ideas, but I'll be damned if I'm going to say it's written well. Even if gaming wants to be cinema (which, again, I think is a bad idea), it's still got a long way to go.

Furthermore, I believe "storytelling" in gaming should utilize exactly what sets it apart from movies and literature - that is, the interactivity. I can't really provide suggestions because I'm no game designer, but there's got to be a way to affect the player with methods other than ham-fisted, generic cut-scenes. It doesn't work anymore (if it ever did). 8-bit plots and 16-bit dialogue just don't cut it anymore with current technology. Of course, there are exceptions, and excellent pacing can vitalize even the silliest, most predictable plots (God of War, MGS, etc), but these examples are few and far between.

Rostum
10-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Of course, there are exceptions, and excellent pacing can vitalize even the silliest, most predictable plots (God of War, MGS, etc), but these examples are few and far between.

But even still, you have to understand that especially with games like God of War, that the story is made to be over-dramatic and steriotypical of a tragic hero story on purpose. There are reasons for that.

However, there's also the issue with how our governments and society see video games. They still see them as being created for kids; I know this is far from the case, but that's how it is in Australia at least (hence why we get banned games, and no adult ratings for our games). Once society sees video games being a medium that adults can enjoy, will be the time that we start see more maturity in the industry.

My hope is that this will be creeping up a lot sooner than we think.

P.S. Totally agree that we need more interactivity with stories in games. Definitely a huge thing that needs to be more utilized.

NeoCracker
10-17-2009, 10:52 PM
All you need to get people into your story is to give you characters you care about and can get involved in, and a well written plot. This is true regardless of the Medium your story is in.

For example, DBZ. No one who enjoys that show will deny the many, many faults it has. Horrible pacing, and unnescissarily long and pointless fights. But the plot is easy to follow, albiet silly, and the characters are interesting and we care about them, even if they aren't the best written out there.

Video games don't just have the potential to be a story telling medium, they have, for many years, been one. It may not be as talked about as the other aspects of the game, but that article fails to realize a lot of people, not just a small amount, get into and talk about their games story.

Moon Rabbits
10-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Indie games are the best example of well written games. The Chzo mythos, Facade, Immortal Defense, the girl who runs Amaranth games has some alright stuff going on, CAVE STORY, the Path. I could go on~

Even the breadth of topics covered by indie games is extensive ... the Path and the recent winner of an Adult/Educational games competition (Edmund) are about rape ... they're both really smurfed up games. I think the Path handles the subject matter better, though ... Edmund was just really, really disturbing (and it was 2D sprites o_O)

edit: Oh, and non-indie-wise - the Syberia series is by far the best storyline I've ever played through.

Jiro
10-18-2009, 10:23 AM

He means kids that aren't you Kentarou. You're smart because video games has made it so. It's these young kids that have grown up with explosions n' :bou::bou::bou::bou: without any substance that are stupid.

Slothy
10-18-2009, 12:23 PM

He means kids that aren't you Kentarou. You're smart because video games has made it so. It's these young kids that have grown up with explosions n' :bou::bou::bou::bou: without any substance that are stupid.

Actually I think he was being sarcastic. Personally, I think a lot of developers don't give kids enough credit for being smarter than they think they are.

As corny as this will sound I think, for the most part, that the likes of Final Fantasy are the only games that really mastered story telling in the sense that you actually begin to feel for the characters.
FPS's and the like (such as Bioshock and GTA mentioned), to me, are almost devoid of story due to the game to constantly need to get the player shooting things and blowing things up, rather than creating a character to warm to.

I'm not totally sure where to start with how wrong I think that statement is. Some of the best story telling I've seen in years, along with some of the best characters have been in FPS and action games.

The Half-Life series is an excellent example. The story portions are in game and not overly long (usually representing a small break in the action which is as important to pacing as actually doing something), but the characters and dialogue are great and since the move to the Source engine with it's incredible facial animation, I found it far easier to connect to the characters than in other games. There was suddenly a much more believable quality to them as their expressions displayed their emotions and feelings accurately making them much more relatable.

Portal is another example of a well told story. It's a simple and straight forward one, but the voice of GlaDOS really sells you on the whole thing, and helps to set the proper tone for every bit of gameplay that takes place in the game. From making you feel like a lab rat to running for your life, she sets the mood as much as the level design and pacing, and is absolutely hilarious to boot.

I'll also mention the Uncharted games because frankly, I don't think I've ever seen the everyman character in way over his head done as well in gaming as with Nathan Drake, and his supporting cast are every bit as likable and relatable. I'll have to give credit to Naughty Dog though for not treating the voice acting like it's an after thought as many developers do though.

theundeadhero
10-18-2009, 05:04 PM
i once played through front mission entirely in japanese and made up my own story and it was one of the best gaming experiences i've ever hadThat's actually an awesome idea.

We used to watch movies late at night without sound and make up our own story of what was happening.