PDA

View Full Version : Dont help me now!

blackmage_nuke
08-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Odin arriving when you're trying to Draw in FFVIII, Critical hits when a monster has 5 hp remaining, Supernatural Border on touhou 7 just before a boss.

What are the little helpers in games that just get there when you least want them?

edit: also when Donald casts stop in the Colleseum on KHI when you're trying to do time trial and you have to wait for it to wear off for the damage to take effect. And then once you reach the rock titan you beat him and while the whole slow motion thing at the end of boss battles is running your time runs out, Knowing if Donald didnt cast that stop you mightve made it!

Levian
08-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I think we all know that feeling so very well :D

The stupid old midgar zolom is always too weak when I get around to collecting Beta. Also in times when you can only mug and not steal, it's a bit of a pain to mug from weak enemies as they're more likely to die than being stolen from.

krissy
08-09-2009, 06:31 PM
in before essays about re5

Rostum
08-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Fricken' trance in Final Fantasy IX.

Rye
08-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Trance, by far. xD

tan
08-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Critical hits on the second turn in Fire Emblem, when the enemy already has 1 HP left. It's like, why couldn't you have pulled that off on the first try!? :P

Momiji
08-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Getting a supernatural border right before a boss isn't always a bad thing! It's bonus points that you're insured to get!

But yeah, trance.

Vermachtnis
08-10-2009, 12:54 AM

Oh yeah. I've seen DBL Black come up a lot, all of those times the monster was killed next turn by Zidane. Also Cook, it only comes up during encounters I've already learned or bosses.

SomethingBig
08-10-2009, 03:14 AM
Fifthing Trance, especially when it happens right before a big boss fight, when you actually need it.

Seconding criticals in Fire Emblem, but for me, it's when I need to just weaken enemies for lower level units.

Masamunemaster
08-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Seconding criticals in Fire Emblem, but for me, it's when I need to just weaken enemies for lower level units.

oh especially when you think youve planned it not to faill....

"ok I have done 15dmg each turn with guy a and 5 with guy b(lame yea but im tired lol)...I will hit this guy that has 18hp left....*attacks* WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".......fail:(

Crimson
08-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Trance, for having a retarded finishing system.

Also,

Odin arriving when you're trying to Draw in FFVIII, Critical hits when a monster has 5 hp remaining, Supernatural Border on touhou 7 just before a boss.

You officially win for playing Touhou.

Old Manus
08-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Spending all your money on awesome equipment in town and finding the same stuff just lying around in the next dungeon.

blackmage_nuke
08-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Getting a supernatural border right before a boss isn't always a bad thing! It's bonus points that you're insured to get!

Yes if you're actually good and going for a high score, not when you're lame like me and just trying to finish without continues on normal

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Damn 's' shaped blocks in tetris!

Shattered Dreamer
08-10-2009, 06:43 PM

Spending all your money on awesome equipment in town and finding the same stuff just lying around in the next dungeon.

Both of these definitely. Odin in FFVIII never helps me when needed also! Accidentially killing Snake with a grenade when a boss has almost no health left I've done that on more than one occasion!

BG-57
08-13-2009, 02:33 PM
AI controlled guest characters! They never do what I want them to do. They either march straight into enemy fire or else gang up on a boss or enemy I'm trying to steal from, learn blue magic from, etc....

Best example is FFT: In Nelveska Temple I'm trying to do two things: recruit a Hyrudra, and get some rare treasure on top of two pillars (the best spear and shield in the game). I have to eliminate most of the foes, subdue the Hyrudra, then surround the boss and guard him from my ally Hyrudra, all the while feeding X-Potions to my allies and the boss (since his attacks are self-damaging), just so one of my treasure hunter characters can snag the treasure in time.

In cases where the game allows guests to die without penalty, I usually let them. I like to play defensively and drawing the enemies to me.

Shel Silverstein put it best:

Some kind of help/
Is the kind of help/
That helpings all about

And some kind of help/
Is the kind of help/
That we can all do without

qwertysaur
08-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Trance is the most prominent example.

Also it is painful when you get hit by a stray bullet in Mountain of Faith that dissipates a second after the boss dies. When that happened after I beat Kanoko I was very sad.

Also supernatural border that comes at the end of a very annoying spellcard is worse than just before a boss. Especially when the next pattern is so easy compared to the previous one.