PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy IX Riddles... Three!?

Rantz
08-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Third time's the charm, right? The v2.0 thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ix/68281-ffix-riddles-v2-0-a.html) was getting long and slow again, so here's a new thread for a new server.

Basic rules!

One riddle at a time: you can post a riddle if you solve the current one.
One guess per post: wait until the riddle maker confirms or denies your guess before you guess again.
If the person who solves a riddle doesn't want to make a new one, they can the turn over to another person or leave it up for grabs. If a new riddle isn't posted within two days, it's automatically free for anyone to make a riddle.

MsTiffie solved the riddle in the last thread, so she's up!

Lenna
08-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Twice Your Protector,
Three Times A Foe,
Each Time Met Royalty,
And Would Not Let You Go,

You May Misunderstand Me,
My Guardians Say The Same,
But If You Research Me,
You'll See In My Fame

This one will be far too easy =p

I need to concentrate more! here ya go

Rantz
08-09-2009, 02:23 PM
It might be too obvious, but is it Beatrix? :P

Lenna
08-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Nope =p

FFIX Choco Boy
08-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Zorn and Thorn

Lenna
08-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Nope,

ChrystleofAsura
08-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Steiner?

roen
08-10-2009, 12:46 AM
I was thinking steiner too.

Lenna
08-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Nope, try and look carefully behind the reasoning. It's all there in the riddle.

Depression Moon
08-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Queen Brahne POW! in your face!

Twice Guardian. Garnet washed up on shore and Brahne trying to recover her when she kidnapped.
Enemies to Zidane and co on accounts of Burmecia, Cleyra, and Lindblum.

Lenna
08-10-2009, 06:04 PM
I cried aloud with mirth and merriment Nope

And it's twice protector, :P not guardian, Brahne was never her protector at the time Garnet was kidnapped, she only wanted Garnet back for her powers.

Okay, here's a hint:

The answer is recurring, in more than one way...

Melissaur
08-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Ohh wow I guess I really don't remember anything from FFIX. Seems I need to play it again...

Lenna
08-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Okay, another hint seeing as no one is guessing. the recurring hint refers to more than one ff, so look into the reasoning behind the riddle and it will all fit perfectly.

KentaRawr!
08-12-2009, 12:56 PM
It's Alexander? :3

Lenna
08-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Nope. Alexander was never a foe I don't believe.
You need to look behind more than just the fact that the answer was a protector, because it isn't necessarily a direct protector to you.

Look carefully behind the "Each time met royalty"...This line is literal to the first 2 lines

Rantz
08-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Sorry I haven't guessed apart from the throwaway first guess. :P I'm gonna guess the Invincible, although I don't expect it to be correct...

Twice Your Protector,
Three Times A Foe,
Each Time Met Royalty,
And Would Not Let You Go

It is three times a "foe" by my count: The attacks on Madain Sari, Brahne's Fleet, and Alexandria. It's a "protector" when you fly it into Memoria, and also when you get the airship Invincible in FFIII.

Each time met royalty: Queen Brahne is present at the second attack; Princess/Queen Garnet is present at all three, although she wasn't a princess at the time of the first. The protector part is even more sketchy, you do "meet" Cid when you fly into Memoria, but I haven't gotten that far in III and I can't find anything about meeting royalty in that context.

"And would not let you go" I can't really see how that fits. The same goes for the whole second stanza actually xD But yeah, I don't actually expect it to be correct.

Lenna
08-12-2009, 05:10 PM
The "And would not let you go" is reference to the circumstances you meet the answer in regards to line 2 and 3

But unfortunately you're wrong.

You'll have to look more carefully at the amount of times you meet this, because it is slightly a trick sentence with the twice protector, three times a foe.

And when I say met royalty, I mean face to face, hence me saying its literal. Not present in the sense of being in the same area.

roen
08-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Gilgamesh?

Lenna
08-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Nope sorry

TurkSlayer
08-13-2009, 12:52 PM
I almost want to sat Black Waltz #3, but it only fits with "three times a foe, each time met royalty and would not let you go". I'm pretty sure #3 never protected anything.

Lenna
08-13-2009, 01:01 PM
ok, to help you guys out a little. I'm gonna let you know that in FFIX the reference to the royalty in this is not Garnet. =) This should get you thinking.

Quindiana Jones
08-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Twice Your Protector, - simple as. In the series of FF, the answer has been your protector twice. However, MsTiffie says that you may not have been directly protected. So it may not necessarily be a *swoop saved your life swoop* kinda deal.
Three Times A Foe, - simple as again. This could mean that you fight the answer three times throughout the series, or it could just be that the answer doesn't like you much. Tiffie says these lines are a bit tricky though, so I imagine you actually meet the answer more than these five times?
Each Time Met Royalty, - Face to face. Not Garnet. My knowledge of other games pretty much screws me for this part, as I haven't played enough. Or at least can't remember enough. All I remember from other games is Sarahs, but Tiffie says it's not Garnet. I just reread some of your hints. This line is literal to the first two lines. This could mean that the character met royalty in the protector/foe events, or it could mean that the answer met royalty. Hell, it could also mean that the protector/foe is the royalty.
And Would Not Let You Go, - In reference to the circumstances in which you meet the answer regarding the five times we know we meet it. This further suggests that the answer is actually met more than 5 times, in my mind. But maybe not. Anyway, this suggests that you are forced to meet the answer. For example, a necessary boss battle, or a necessary meeting to continue the story etc.

But If You Research Me,
You'll See In My Fame

This confuses me, I'll be honest. We may misunderstand the answer in a Garland way. Garland is technically a bad guy, but he's trying to restore his homeland and his people. So the foe times may just be because the answer isn't evil, just misguided. And the protector times may happen when we think the answer is a bastard. Maybe, I dunno. The Guardians say the same in that they misunderstand the answer also? Or the guardians may literally say the same in that they are senseless drones.

"If you research me, you'll see in my fame" has me stumped. My knowledge of fame is that it refers to the reputation or generally opinion held by many, so that's what I'll apply here. So...we'll understand why the person is misunderstood if we researched them more thoroughly? There's more to them that meets the eye, perhaps?

I haven't an answer yet, I'm afraid. Just throwing some ideas out.

Lenna
08-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Twice Your Protector, - simple as. In the series of FF, the answer has been your protector twice. However, MsTiffie says that you may not have been directly protected. So it may not necessarily be a *swoop saved your life swoop* kinda deal. - You are completely right about this. The answer does not save your life at any point, it is an indirect protector to certain people/things that you relate to etc.

Three Times A Foe, - simple as again. This could mean that you fight the answer three times throughout the series, or it could just be that the answer doesn't like you much. Tiffie says these lines are a bit tricky though, so I imagine you actually meet the answer more than these five times? - You are a bit off on this one, you are right about fighting the answer, however it is rather specific about when it is related to this riddle. As for the tricky bit, I'll give you a hint, Three times a Foe is the main thing you need to look at in terms of how many times you meet them. You do meet the answer more than once in the series, however the riddle only specifies certain times that are relevant to what I'm asking for.

Each Time Met Royalty, - Face to face. Not Garnet. My knowledge of other games pretty much screws me for this part, as I haven't played enough. Or at least can't remember enough. All I remember from other games is Sarahs, but Tiffie says it's not Garnet. I just reread some of your hints. This line is literal to the first two lines. This could mean that the character met royalty in the protector/foe events, or it could mean that the answer met royalty. Hell, it could also mean that the protector/foe is the royalty. Think about all the royalty in FFIX and start from there. Then once you've figured out that part, the rest should fit in.

And Would Not Let You Go, - In reference to the circumstances in which you meet the answer regarding the five times we know we meet it. This further suggests that the answer is actually met more than 5 times, in my mind. But maybe not. Anyway, this suggests that you are forced to meet the answer. For example, a necessary boss battle, or a necessary meeting to continue the story etc. - Again refer to the second line. but yes again you are right about it being forced =)

But If You Research Me,
You'll See In My Fame

This confuses me, I'll be honest. We may misunderstand the answer in a Garland way. Garland is technically a bad guy, but he's trying to restore his homeland and his people. So the foe times may just be because the answer isn't evil, just misguided. And the protector times may happen when we think the answer is a bastard. Maybe, I dunno. The Guardians say the same in that they misunderstand the answer also? Or the guardians may literally say the same in that they are senseless drones. - This is quite confusing until you can figure out the first few lines. This basically just clarifies that the answer is who you're looking for. Basically the Guardians say that the answer is misunderstood. You'll see why when the answer is figured out.

"If you research me, you'll see in my fame" has me stumped. My knowledge of fame is that it refers to the reputation or generally opinion held by many, so that's what I'll apply here. So...we'll understand why the person is misunderstood if we researched them more thoroughly? There's more to them that meets the eye, perhaps?

I haven't an answer yet, I'm afraid. Just throwing some ideas out. - Again, you're right. =)

Thank you for giving a shot at the reasoning. It's nice to see that instead of pure guess work I cried aloud with mirth and merriment. It's harder to help guess work that doesn't have any reasoning :P Hope this has helped a little.

FFIX Choco Boy
08-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Garland?

Lenna
08-13-2009, 11:13 PM
No, try to put reasoning behind your answers, that way I help you understand where you've gone wrong, which will also help other members in their guesses.

Depression Moon
08-14-2009, 12:35 AM
He probably just made a random guess as it's become way too confuasing now. I would like to see the answer and see who is possibly related to all those things.

FFIX Choco Boy
08-14-2009, 03:46 AM
Garland wasn't really random.

Twice Your Protector, -Wasn't sure about this.

Three Times A Foe, -FFI at the beginning and end, and also FFIX

Each Time Met Royalty, -Princess Sara, Chaos, and Garland himself in IX

And Would Not Let You Go -He wasn't going to let you run, he was trying to kill you.

You May Misunderstand Me, -Unsure

My Guardians Say The Same, -Guardians: Lich, Maralith, Kraken, Tiamat

But If You Research Me, -Unsure

You'll See In My Fame -He's the final and 1st boss of FFI as well.

TurkSlayer
08-14-2009, 04:40 AM
Royalty in FFIX (aside from Garnet):

Queen Brahne, Cid IX, Hilda, Puck and Puck's father.

That would be the full list as far as I'm aware, correct?

Wait a minute... I'm not studying the full riddle with this, so I could be wrong, but is it the Antlion? The Antlion has met with Edward (FFIV), Krile (FFV) and Puck (FFIX). I think a few times it was protecting its nest, and you usually fought it when caught in quicksand.

Jiro
08-14-2009, 07:52 AM
I dare say the battles with Antlions are forced too. I know they are for IV and IX at least.

Was there a leader of Cleyra? Whoever that is might count as royalty, if this guess falls through.

G13
08-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Is it Bahamut?

He is a protector and a foe.
He was the cause of Brahne's death and he went up against Alexander.

That's all I have for reasoning right now as I am tired.

Lenna
08-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Royalty in FFIX (aside from Garnet):

Queen Brahne, Cid IX, Hilda, Puck and Puck's father.

That would be the full list as far as I'm aware, correct?

Wait a minute... I'm not studying the full riddle with this, so I could be wrong, but is it the Antlion? The Antlion has met with Edward (FFIV), Krile (FFV) and Puck (FFIX). I think a few times it was protecting its nest, and you usually fought it when caught in quicksand.

Congratulations, you got the answer right, it is Antlion.

Twice Your Protector - In FFIV it was the protector of the Sand Ruby? Which you needed to save Rosa, and in FFIX, it was sort of a protector to Cleyra. In all you meet it 3 times, but twice it turns against you after being Tame.
Three Times A Foe - In regards to the Royalty bit, you fight the Antlion 3 times as a boss fight. (People may say that he's been a boss in more than these ones, but in the other games he was a "mark" boss (optional))
Each Time Met Royalty - Edward, Krile and Puck as Turk says.
And Would Not Let You Go - Boss battle / can't escape.

You May Misunderstand Me - In FFIV and FFIX the Antlion was a tame creature that was said not to hurt anyone.
My Guardians Say The Same - Puck and Edward both mention that it is tame.
But If You Research Me -
You'll See In My Fame - Reference to the fact it's been in pretty much all FF's bar a couple, but you needed to research the various few to match it with the riddle =)

Grats Turk. your go :P

Quindiana Jones
08-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Good stuff, both of you. Looking forward to the next one. :)

Rantz
08-15-2009, 03:58 AM
Nice riddle and good job on solving it. Sorry I didn't help much Tiffie x)

Lenna
08-16-2009, 02:44 PM
It's been over 48 hours, someone want to do a riddle?

TurkSlayer
08-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey, I apologize, been busy all weekend and forgot to come back. :D

I'm terrible at writing riddles, so if anyone else wants to take it, by all means do so.

FFIX Choco Boy
08-16-2009, 11:38 PM
I'll do one.

Two mistakes precede me,
A mistress who betrayed my master,
Just one look at me,
And you'll see I was made after.
Use me and then you'll find,
I left all of my mistakes behind.

What am I?

Quindiana Jones
08-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Hilda Garde 3?

Two mistakes precede me, - 1 and 2.
A mistress who betrayed my master, - Hilda stole 2 when Cid boinked around too much.
Just one look at me,
And you'll see I was made after. - 3 is better than the others.
Use me and then you'll find,
I left all of my mistakes behind. - 3 is better than the others.

FFIX Choco Boy
08-18-2009, 12:04 AM
QUIN! ARG! Getting it on the 1st guess... mumble mumble mumble...

Jiro
08-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Well hot damn. Good job Quin.

EDIT: If there's no riddle up when I get home, is it cool if I have a shot? :p

Quindiana Jones
08-20-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm passing my turn onto Jiro. Having not played FF9 for a while, any riddle I create would do the game a disservice. :)

Sorry to steal your dreams, Jiro, but I just remembered I took down notes (actually true) when I saw an awesome riddle worthy topic on my last playthrough. Riddle will appear tomorrow evening.

Jiro
08-22-2009, 02:15 PM
I never got home :( It's cool, you guessed right so go for it Quin

Quindiana Jones
08-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Riddle. As usual, I've slipped into some kind of ye olde dreamspeech. But whatever, you love it. xD

You sleep in lands of darkened sky;
a home away from home.
You hide from fools and demons
in places which they roam.

Outside are those who use you,
those ignorant monsters and mice.
But we looked closer and we did see
one minute piece of Taoist vice.

I hope that it's not too vague. I don't think it is, but I would say that as I wrote the bloody thing.

FFIX Choco Boy
08-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Mognet Central?

Rantz
08-24-2009, 03:09 AM
I'm guessing this is the Treno area, unless it's too obvious. It could also refer to the southern part of the Forgotten Continent, or possibly some FMV where the sky goes dark, although "lands of" suggests it's a more permanent state.

"Sleep" could refer to actual sleeping, or having died and being buried or similar here. Alternatively just resting/waiting.

a home away from home.
Suggests they live here but only temporarily or such; it's not their "real" home.

This could mean pretty much anywhere I guess, but I'm thinking it might have a more specific meaning. Maybe Zorn and Thorn was here or something (they're both fools and demons, really).

This is interesting. "Those who use you" says to me it is some sort of machine or similarly useful item. Ehh I'll elaborate more later.

But we looked closer and we did see one minute piece of Taoist vice.
I know the absolute basics of Taoism but I have no idea what a Taoist vice would be xD I have to research this later when I have more time.

Agh I don't really have time to elaborate but is it Quan? I doubt it but oh well it's a guess and all. /half-done post

TurkSlayer
08-24-2009, 04:46 AM
I figure that whatever it is would be in Burmecia., what with the monsters, darken skies, and most obviously, "Mice". Unfortunately, I can't seem to think of anything hidden there. Too long since I've played. The only person I can think of is Stilitzkin.

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Mognet Central?

'Fraid not.

I'm guessing this is the Treno area, unless it's too obvious. It could also refer to the southern part of the Forgotten Continent, or possibly some FMV where the sky goes dark, although "lands of" suggests it's a more permanent state.

"Sleep" could refer to actual sleeping, or having died and being buried or similar here. Alternatively just resting/waiting.

Not Treno or any FMVs. It is, indeed, a permanent state. "Sleep" refers more to the actual sleeping than any death or burial, but technically both could apply now that I think about it, though only it the most broad of senses. However, for simplicity's sake (and because it was the original idea), you can safely assume sleep refers to sleeping without jeopardising your chances of answering the riddle.

a home away from home.
Suggests they live here but only temporarily or such; it's not their "real" home.

It is assumed that the answer does not live where you find it, because it's location belongs to someone else. However, no "real" home for the answer is ever mentioned in the game.

This could mean pretty much anywhere I guess, but I'm thinking it might have a more specific meaning. Maybe Zorn and Thorn was here or something (they're both fools and demons, really).

You're half right. Fools and demons refer to two different things, one of which is Zorn and Thorn.

This is interesting. "Those who use you" says to me it is some sort of machine or similarly useful item. Ehh I'll elaborate more later.

You are right in saying that there is an item in use. However, the item itself is merely a way of finding the answer, and "ignorant monsters and mice" is an important line.

But we looked closer and we did see one minute piece of Taoist vice.
I know the absolute basics of Taoism but I have no idea what a Taoist vice would be xD I have to research this later when I have more time.

If you completely ignored this line you would be able to find the answer with the rest of the riddle. This is more of a cryptic clue than the traditional riddle, mostly put in for my own enjoyment. And because I think it's quite clever.

Agh I don't really have time to elaborate but is it Quan? I doubt it but oh well it's a guess and all. /half-done post

Not Quan, no. Thanks for the reasoning though.

I figure that whatever it is would be in Burmecia., what with the monsters, darken skies, and most obviously, "Mice". Unfortunately, I can't seem to think of anything hidden there. Too long since I've played. The only person I can think of is Stilitzkin.

Yes, it is in Burmecia. :)
No, it is not Stiltzkin. :(

My answers here were intentionally vague. As the riddle goes on however, I will give out more specific and clear clues to speed the thing along a little. :)

To sum up:

Not Mognet Central.
Not Quan.
Not Stiltzkin.
The area you should be concerned with is Burmecia.
"Sleep" refers more to actual sleeping. However, it can refer to burial, though it would be stretching the definition somewhat.
"Fools and demons" partially refers to Zorn and Thorn.
An item is used, though the item itself is not the answer.
The last two lines are cryptic clues, and are separate from the rest of the riddle. However, they can be used to figure out the answer.

Rantz
08-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Is it the key item, Protection Bell?

a home away from home.
"Sleep" because it's hiding under a bed, in Burmecia.

Either Zorn or Thorn (fools) and Black Mages (demons) were in this room before, as you saw when they came out on the balconies (what were they doing in there, anyway? Why did they run back inside to escape? That place is a dead end xD)

There are monsters and "mice" outside the house... Yeah, that's the best I can think of here. :greenie:

one minute piece of Taoist vice.
Possibly referring to the text on the bell:

"We seek the meaning of life because we are mortal."
=Philosopher Minu=

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm gonna have to give it to you for that one. It's actually Philsopher Minu, not the Bell.

You sleep in lands of darkened sky; - Under a bed in Burmecia.
a home away from home. - If I remeber rightly, the room belongs to the King.
You hide from fools and demons - Hiding under a bed *giggle*. From fools (Zorn and Thorn) and demons (Black Mages).
in places which they roam. - Yeah, what Rantz said.

those ignorant monsters and mice. - The Protection Bell is used to continue through the door. As the black mages and Burmecians have managed it, we can assume they used a Protection Bell. Also, they are ignorant because I'm pretty sure they don't have Key Items lists. :)
one minute piece of Taoist vice. Taoist virtue is Te. Vice is the lack of virtue (lack of Te). Take away the only Te in the sentence and you get Minu. And you "look closer" in the sense that the only way to find out about Minu is by checking your Key Items. :)

Hit it, Rantz!

Rantz
08-24-2009, 12:28 PM
I thought it could've been the philosopher himself, but I thought the Protection Bell fit the reasoning better. :D

Jiro or anyone who wants to can go, I feel I've occupied FFIX riddles enough for a while..

Jiro
08-24-2009, 01:06 PM
A faceless voice commands
"Set the waxen rod alight"
Do so and the door will open
Be prepared to fight

Yeah okay so that's my first attempt ever. Hopefully it's not too easy, or too hard. Good luck!

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Seems to me like it's the first battle of the game. When you fight Baku in his dragon mask. I'm not really sure what part specifically you're after, though. :(

Jiro
08-24-2009, 01:56 PM
You've got it Quin :mad:

The first two lines reference lighting the candle right at the start.
The door that opens could refer to either Blank, Marcus and Cinna, or Baku, whichever you like :p
And of course, the fight referenced is the fight with Baku.

Guess I need a harder one next time :p

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Should I pass this go onto someone else, seeing as how I just had a go?

Rantz
08-24-2009, 06:55 PM
I don't know, should you?

Melissaur
08-24-2009, 07:04 PM
I think you should Pass. You might even get the next one too! Maybe Rantz can go?

Rantz
08-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Here's a good one:

I like frogs. Who am I?

Melissaur
08-24-2009, 07:25 PM
hmmmmm... Quina? maybe

Rantz
08-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Nope! The answer was Quale. :D

Jiro
08-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Nope! The answer was Quale. :D

I would have said Quan.

Quindiana Jones
08-25-2009, 02:49 PM
I was gunning for "The French".

Seriousness aside, someone should post a proper riddle (tsk, Rantz. Tsk.) soon. Anyone can go. If nobody has within a few days I'll just throw another one up.

Lenna
08-25-2009, 04:12 PM
The only problem with posting proper riddles anymore is the fact no one really takes any serious guesses for them. I'm all about proper riddles (as rantz and thingfish would say) but when no one wants to take a guess because it's not easy enough, it's hard to comply. I don't want to make my riddles easy because people aren't interested in reading carefully into them, I am a puzzle / riddle addict. I need a proper fix lol :P

Quindiana Jones
08-25-2009, 08:07 PM
The only problem with posting proper riddles anymore is the fact no one really takes any serious guesses for them. I'm all about proper riddles (as rantz and thingfish would say) but when no one wants to take a guess because it's not easy enough, it's hard to comply. I don't want to make my riddles easy because people aren't interested in reading carefully into them, I am a puzzle / riddle addict. I need a proper fix lol :P

I resent this post. :(

I like the riddle that I get to analyse and eventually get wrong, thus giving Rantz the chance to put my analysis to better use and answer it correctly. It's...like, teamwork or something.

Lenna
08-25-2009, 09:21 PM
sorry, but a riddle that only 1 person solves is a bit limited. It's boring to have the same 2 people do them all the time. That's all I meant. I wasn't saying you don't guess proper. You and Rantz are very good at these things. I just don't see anyone else really trying, they complain that they're too complicated to be solved.

Edit: Like when I did my riddle. No one really tried to solve it until I'd been forced to keep giving hints because it was dead for days on end.

Depression Moon
08-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Old tales and world yales
his knowledge on these is the best around
hidden past oceans across continents over the planet of Gaia
he rewards the intelligent and humiliates the ignorant
who is he?

Rantz
08-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Ragtime mouse? He supposedly knows a lot about the legends and history of Gaia, he can be found on all continents, he gives you awards if you answer correctly, and he does that thing he does if you don't.

Quindiana Jones
08-28-2009, 09:43 AM
sorry, but a riddle that only 1 person solves is a bit limited. It's boring to have the same 2 people do them all the time. That's all I meant. I wasn't saying you don't guess proper. You and Rantz are very good at these things. I just don't see anyone else really trying, they complain that they're too complicated to be solved.

Edit: Like when I did my riddle. No one really tried to solve it until I'd been forced to keep giving hints because it was dead for days on end.

Ah, yeah. I can completely agree with this.

Rantzien has this one, I think.

Depression Moon
08-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Ragtime mouse? He supposedly knows a lot about the legends and history of Gaia, he can be found on all continents, he gives you awards if you answer correctly, and he does that thing he does if you don't.

That's correct!

Rantz
08-31-2009, 04:44 PM
The gaiety seems lopsided
As the two taciturnly join
An act of necessity, yet not so

Melissaur
08-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Is it the ending? Garnet is really happy to see Zidane, but he doesn't look so happy himself, though I'm sure he is. So it would "seem" lopsided. Also its Garnet and Zidane joining together. Im not sure how to tie the last line in to my answer, so it's probably wrong.

Rantz
08-31-2009, 10:11 PM
It's not the game ending. Good guess though.

Quindiana Jones
08-31-2009, 10:17 PM
I'll go ahead and guess Zorn and Thorn, even though it's wrong.

The gaiety seems lopsided - Zorn and Thorn are clowns. All happy and they dance around. But there's always something wrong. Or this could refer to the celebration when you defeat them.

As the two taciturnly join - They get their asses handed to them. Then they become Multigemini whilst unconscious, or silent. Eh? Eh?

An act of necessity, yet not so - Well, they just got beaten when separate. So they join because they have to in order to win. "yet not so" is a bit :confused: for me, so I'll just say that they didn't have to combine, because Zidane wasn't gonna get his bollock knife out and kill them when they're out.

Rantz
08-31-2009, 10:58 PM
Another nice guess, but nope, not Zorn and Thorn. This riddle is fairly straightforward, so don't look too deeply into it. Tifa_Lockhart88 comes closer with her reasoning.

Melissaur
08-31-2009, 11:31 PM
YAY! That's a feat for me, because I've only played the game once!

Medi
09-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I think it's when Vivi and Quina get hitched. It's not "necessary" to do it in the game. The dwarves seem pretty happy about it, as does Quina, but Vivi is a little uncomfortable, hence lopsided-ness.

Rantz
09-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Yep, Vivi and Quina's wedding/ceremony is the correct answer. :-)

The gaiety seems lopsided -> What you said.
As the two taciturnly join -> They're all quiet-like.
An act of necessity, yet not so -> It's done because it seemingly has to be done, but the event is still technically optional.

Your go!

Medi
09-07-2009, 05:09 AM
Okay, sorry for the long delay!

I am an utterance
by a libidinous spirit in the skies,
finally grasping a royal token.

Not complex at all. Should be easy for you folks to figure out. ;)

FFIX Choco Boy
09-08-2009, 01:27 AM
Alexander?

Medi
09-08-2009, 04:11 AM
Nope.

Quindiana Jones
09-08-2009, 09:41 AM
I am an utterance

The "libidinous spirit" makes me think of Brahne, and how she lusts after power, which fits with my interpretation of "grasping a royal token", because she hunts down the four crystals. But I can't fit the first line into my logic.

I'll go ahead and guess Beatrix, if only to knock another possibility off the list.

JackNapier
09-08-2009, 09:53 AM
I am an utterance

My guess is either Odin or Atomos.
Both are summoned by Brahne while aboard the Red Rose, however Odin's summoning doesn't directly relate to the claiming of a royal token since Beatrix had already claimed it. So I'm leaning towards Atomos.

Medi
09-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Nah, it's not that complicated. Simplify. The only words that aren't "literal" are spirit and token.

G13
09-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Is it when Zidane grabs Garnets tush (yes I said that with a Jewish accent)?

Libidinous is like... lustful. In the skies could refer to the Cargo Ship there were jumping onto at the time. And finally grasping a royal token could be... well, the tushie.

I realize this is a dumb guess, but it's worth a shot. :D

Medi
09-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Is it when Zidane grabs Garnets tush (yes I said that with a Jewish accent)?

Libidinous is like... lustful. In the skies could refer to the Cargo Ship there were jumping onto at the time. And finally grasping a royal token could be... well, the tushie.

I realize this is a dumb guess, but it's worth a shot. :D

You, sir (or ma'am), are correct. I was looking specifically for the line "Ooh, soft" in the answer, referring to the utterance spoken, but your analysis was otherwise perfect.

:)

Quindiana Jones
09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Haha "royal token"! Nice. xD

G13
09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Wow, I was so sure I was wrong. I wasn't sure about the utterance, I can't believe I forgot about the "Ooo, soft".

Well, I really don't have any good IX riddles so I'll leave this one open to anybody.

To think I almost said Ramuh. pshh

Quindiana Jones
09-08-2009, 11:33 AM
I'll take my skipped go from before if nobody minds?

Jiro
09-08-2009, 11:41 AM
The sooner we get a riddle, the better imho. It's open so take it.

G13
09-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Dude, go for it. The only thing keeping the merglargs away is the constant flow of riddles. Their feeble minds can't take them.

Jiro
09-08-2009, 12:24 PM
I should have thrown my own riddle down, snatched it out from under him ;)

Quindiana Jones
09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Continuing the three line tradition. xD

The woods wise words, tourist's escort,
ravaged by greed but left untouched
you fled to Leviathan's Cave.

Should be pretty easy.

FFIX Choco Boy
09-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Stiltzkin?

G13
09-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Dude this is good. It's tough. I'm drawing a blank.

Leviathan's Cave makes me think of Daguerro, but the rest doesn't really coincide (at least as far as I can tell). I'll go with Daguerro anyways.

Jiro
09-09-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm glad I didn't usurp the riddle, it's a good'un. I'll be back with a guess after my head stops exploding.

Medi
09-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Is it Oracle Kildea?

The woods wise words, tourist's escort, - She showed people around in Cleyra, didn't she?
ravaged by greed but left untouched - she escaped harm during the attack
you fled to Leviathan's Cave. - she then moved to Daguerreo

Quindiana Jones
09-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Is it Oracle Kildea?

Specifically Forest Oracle Kildea. ;)

The woods wise words, tourist's escort, - "woods wise words". Basically her name after having mated with a thesaurus. Tourist's escort because, as you said, she guides Zidane around Cleyra.
ravaged by greed but left untouched - Brahne's greed destroyed Cleyra but Kildea escaped. Untouched also refers to the fact that her character even wears the same clothes etc. in Daguerreo. xD
you fled to Leviathan's Cave. - Refers to Daguerreo.

Good job. :)

Rantz
09-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Nice riddle, and well solved. :)

Medi
09-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Again, I'm so sorry for taking a long time. For some reason, I thought it'd be a good idea to take a bunch of AP classes and join multiple clubs my senior year. Anywho, here is your riddle:

Don't try to escape
from the lair of clavier melody -
the light just makes me stronger.

G13
09-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Kuja's Palace?

Medi
09-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Kuja's Palace?

Close. Very close.

G13
09-12-2009, 07:30 PM
I figured it might be wrong right after I said it. I instantly thought of a better guess.

I hope I'm not breaking a rule by going again, but is it when you fight Kuja in Pandemonium?

Don't try to escape You can't leave until you beat Kuja.
from the lair of clavier melody - The theme for Pandemonium is played on an organ.
the light just makes me stronger. This could refer to Kuja in Trance form.

Medi
09-12-2009, 09:17 PM
You were closer when you said Desert Palace, as it is related to the solution. The last line is most important. "The lair of clavier melody" is not the answer, but the "me" is.

FFIX Choco Boy
09-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Ark?

Medi
09-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Nope.

Quindiana Jones
09-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Valia Pira, I think.

It's related very closely to the Desert Palace, and the candles you can extinguish power the phallic boss.

Medi
09-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Valia Pira is correct. :)

1. It appears when you escape
2. lair of clavier melody = desert palace, as has been established
3. It keeps its strength if you don't put out the lights.

Good job!

Quindiana Jones
09-16-2009, 09:20 AM
I'll pass my turn again, I think. Unfortunately, I've got nothing good in my head (no difference there!), and I'm gonna be busy on my first week of uni so couldn't give you guys much attention.

So yeah. Anybody who wants it can have it.

FFIX Choco Boy
09-17-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm pulling a blank, too.

Depression Moon
09-17-2009, 01:57 PM
I think I can put up a riddle here. I want to find an online script for it, but I don't think I'll be able to so reserve my spot for tomorrow.

Depression Moon
09-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Tender flesh not so innocent
Brought into the world to soon for such tragedies
Lead an oct plus one more to the same suffering
Left us too soon leaving only a figment to remember your glory.

Hah, bet no one will guess this!:plotting:

Jiro
09-28-2009, 06:07 AM
Something makes me think it's either a black mage or a genome. The oct plus one more should help me more than it is. I can't think of any groups that are nine strong except for the Pluto Knights.

Depression Moon
09-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Hrmm your not quite there, but it does have to do with knights.

Jiro
09-28-2009, 03:36 PM
So the answer has to do with knights, and also led 9 things to some kind of pain/suffering...

Nope, got nothing in my head :monster:

Hopefully someone else can guess so I have something else to work with :)

Quindiana Jones
09-28-2009, 04:21 PM
This makes me think of the Alexander/Bahamut battle, but I can't think of any reason why.

Rantz
09-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Is "too soon" repeated on purpose?

Depression Moon
09-29-2009, 04:06 PM
No I just think of another word to use for that instead. I might have made this too hard now that I'm thinking about it and y'all wioll probably be mad at me when you know the answer to it. I'll gicve you all two more guesses before I give the answer.

Kyros
09-29-2009, 08:58 PM
No I just think of another word to use for that instead. I might have made this too hard now that I'm thinking about it and y'all wioll probably be mad at me when you know the answer to it. I'll gicve you all two more guesses before I give the answer.

I think they were referring to the last line where you typed it twice.

Depression Moon
09-29-2009, 09:20 PM
oh. That was a typo.

Kyros
09-29-2009, 10:29 PM
lol everyone randomly does it so not picking on ya :P

anyway I'm gonna guess Beatrix thought I dont remember a ton of the story so I may be way off the right answer. I would be playing through again today, but I need to get the opening fmv of garnet on the raft to not freeze on my friend's ps3 (think I may have a scratch on the disc I need to get rid of). >.<

Depression Moon
10-21-2009, 02:57 AM
Uhh, sorry about my major delay of a response, but the actual answer to my riddle was General Madelene. You can be mad at me, because I should have known no one would have guessed about a character that's not even really in the game and is just extra detail about Gaia's history.
Thought it was interesting though, because I believe that Jeanne D'Arc did something similar.

Quindiana Jones
10-21-2009, 11:07 AM
That was actually a very good riddle, DM. Like, really good. And General Madeleine is awesome.

I suppose next is up for grabs. I don't mind if DM gets another go.

I wonder if Madeleine is actually a tribute sort of thing to Jeanne d'Arc.

Jiro
10-21-2009, 12:22 PM
I'll pass this time. Someone else go for it. Rantz? :p

Khimbar2775
10-21-2009, 04:14 PM
hey yall

im replaying through ffix atm on an emulator along with three other ps1 games. and yeah, madeleine fought and died in a war when she was only 13. sound like jeanne d'arc much? lol

because im only reaplying it for teh first time in maybe 6 years, i don think ill be able to get any of these based on my most recent attempts at the ffvii riddles :P but ill post in here so whnever i scroll through the "new post" page, ill see the dot on the folder to the left of the title. who knows, maybe ill get a riddle or two...

Rantz
10-21-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm in no riddling groove. I'd just do a crappy job of it, so not me.

Jiro
10-22-2009, 12:05 PM
The keys to no kingdom
One a queen and one a king
The children hold one
A mother the other

Eh whatever there just needs to be a riddle.

FFIX Choco Boy
10-23-2009, 01:04 AM
The Falcon Claws?

Jiro
10-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Nope, not the Falcon Claws.

Jiro
10-29-2009, 01:04 PM
You are looking for key items, however.

Quindiana Jones
10-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Oh, d'oh. It's the Mini-things. Mini-Cid, Mini-Brahne, Mini-Burmecia and...ummm...I forget the other.

Key to no city = Key items.
King and Queen = Brahne and Cid.
Children = the kids play with the figurines.
Mother = I forget. :(

Jiro
10-30-2009, 02:02 PM
No it's not :bigsmile:
The Queen is not Brahne, if that helps narrow it down!

Quindiana Jones
10-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Oh, well fuck you then. xD

And you say it's not "the Falcon Claws"? As in Silver Pendant, Falcon Claw, Desert Star, and the other one? Because they make lots of sense too. :(

Rantz
10-30-2009, 03:25 PM
It's the Athlete Queen and the King of Jump Rope.

The keys to no kingdom - Key items, but they don't do anything.
One a queen and one a king - The names.
The children hold one - The rope jumping children who reward you the King of Jump Rope.
A mother the other - Hippaul's mother who rewards you the Athlete Queen.

Quindiana Jones
10-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Hah, nice. The two Key Items that I have never retrieved more than once. xD

Jiro
11-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Rantz is correct! Well done :)

Rantz
11-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Anyone can go. I might make one if nobody else goes.

Quindiana Jones
11-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Rantz, if you don't make one I'm going to come up there and dry hump your sofa. :mad2:

Rantz
11-06-2009, 11:04 PM
I can't risk that, so alright then.

Vagabond and service of ages past
Now long forgotten, save by one;
My apprentice, who gawps at my display!

But two elusive chances I give you
Once for the friend away from home, won
Once from the home of the enemy, taken

Quindiana Jones
11-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Namingway Card?

I imagine my reasons are obvious. If it's incorrect, I'll give them to help further answers. :)

Rantz
11-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Quite right. xD I had especially big trouble seeing whether this one would be hard or easy.

Quindiana Jones
11-07-2009, 12:32 AM
I think it would have been hard if I didn't know all things FF9 Namingway related. :D

I know nothing of the actual Namingway history though, so the first paragraph did almost nothing for me. :)

Darth Cid
11-09-2009, 12:04 AM
So next riddle?

Quindiana Jones
11-09-2009, 01:42 PM
You can take it if you want Darth Cid. My memories of FF9 are steadily escaping me, so I'm left pretty much riddleless. :(

Darth Cid
11-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I can't think of anything, my mind's a blank when it comes to riddles, and mine are probably too obvious.

Quindiana Jones
11-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Hey, it can't be any easier than Rantzien's. That's some comfort, surely?

PS. Rantz: <3

Darth Cid
11-09-2009, 03:47 PM
People do not know of my existence,
For I robe myself in stone.
I can be be brought forth into the world,
But not just anyone can do it.
I have wings that do not fly
And a sword I do not wield.

I Don't Need A Name
11-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Alexander

Darth Cid
11-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Correct.

I Don't Need A Name
11-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Good lord, my FFIX info is probably more rusty than Dave's.
Grieving but celebrating
Playing and crying
but in the end
remembered by absence
and yet holds a large presence.

Darth Cid
11-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Vivi

I Don't Need A Name
11-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Yep

Darth Cid
11-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm the 3rd generation in shoes I never got to fill.

Jiro
12-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Hilda Garde III

arcanedude34
12-02-2009, 11:53 PM
This thread :monocle:

qwertysaur
12-07-2009, 03:29 AM
Mikoto?

Codelock
12-07-2009, 04:52 AM
could it be the third black waltz?
that would seem a bit obvious but i dunno

Darth Cid
12-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Mikoto?

Bingo, sorry for the wait on it, I forgot it was my riddle because it was left unanswered for so long.

qwertysaur
12-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Once I was there,
That was long ago.
The first thing I will do
Is find it yet a again.

Wait lets explore,
And strive to find.
A soul, a stone,
And a reflection of my home.

It feels so close.
But never quite the same.

Rantz
12-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Vivi's visit to Quan's Dwelling?

Kyros
12-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Garnet at the summoner village (forgot the name atm)

FFIX Choco Boy
12-08-2009, 08:49 PM
I think Rantz has it, cause I think soul and stone refer to Quan and the Stellazio.

qwertysaur
12-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Nope :p

Depression Moon
12-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Easy Zidane returning to Terra

The stone refers to the Gulug Stone and the soul, umm, umm. the talking heads?

The reflection of his home refers to the holograms projecting Terra before their civilization was destroyed.

qwertysaur
12-08-2009, 11:58 PM
nope

Codelock
12-14-2009, 01:03 AM
ok i think i got it. It is the chocobo he once was in chocobo paradise a long time ago he must find stones the chocograph pieces.A soul which would pertain to his changing colors and further abilities or it could be his trainer and the reflection of my home is there because he gets the first glimpse of paradise by finding the first chest near the water reflective surface. he always feels so close by continually seeing it but never actually gets there

edit: im sorry i think im goin against the rules on this i started thinkin and to many holes in my answer so i changed it i had a few guesses and i think this one is better

It's Zidane. He's talking about Terra. When he returns to Terra, he's looking everywhere for a genome that isn't just an empty vessel. He eventually finds Mikoto; the only other genome with a soul (minus Kuja), and she comes back with Zidane when they escape Terra. She's a reflection of his soul

Rantz
12-14-2009, 02:46 AM
Codelock, activity in the riddles thread is always appreciated (by me, anyhow ;)), but if you have something to add to a previous post, you can use the Edit button on that post to append to it or modify it as you wish. Posting several times in a row is discouraged here.

qwertysaur
12-14-2009, 05:05 AM
nope :p

Codelock
12-14-2009, 05:18 AM
ok so its not that stuff am i even close with either of them and can you give a hot or cold lol

qwertysaur
12-14-2009, 05:26 AM
The stone does refer to the Gulug stone.

Quindiana Jones
12-15-2009, 01:53 AM
Once I was there,
That was long ago.
The first thing I will do
Is find it yet a again.

Wait lets explore,
And strive to find.
A soul, a stone,
And a reflection of my home.

It feels so close.
But never quite the same.

I feel it has something to do with Oeilvert. Finding it yet again, I imagine, refers to Zidane having to find the place. He explores the place. The soul is Ark, the stone is the Gulug Stone, the reflection is the Terra hologram. The Oeilvert tune is the exact same tune as A Place to Call Home, but with different instruments, which could be what the last two lines are about.

Depression Moon
12-15-2009, 02:18 AM
Are any of you reading the other posts? I thought everyone would stop guessing Oeilvert and the Gulug stone after you saw me get it wrong.

Quindiana Jones
12-15-2009, 02:29 AM
Untwist your knickers, DM, you have yet to mention Oeilvert. And even if I hadn't bothered reading the other posts, why does it matter if someone double guesses? It especially not-matters by virtue of the fact that your guess was wrong, so there's not even a chance that someone could steal your win.

"Any of you" of course refers to Codelock and myself. Let's clear this up.

Your guess:

Zidane returning to Terra

This is a specific event that happened in the game.

Codelock's guess:

Zidane

A character of the game who relates to several specific events in-game but is different and separate to them.

My guess:

Oeilvert

A place in the game.

It's very clear that these are all different guesses with a variety of similarities. Though several parts of your post make some reference to events that happen in Oeilvert, at no point to you actually make that guess or suggest that it is your guess. As such, should the answer end up being Oeilvert, qwerty was completely within his right to not accept your answer.

qwertysaur
12-15-2009, 02:37 AM
Oeilvert is close but still wrong. :p

The Dark Messenger
12-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Is it possible that it's referring to Mount Gulug? I mean, Zidane goes to get the Gulug Stone from Olivert in order for Kuja to enter Mt. Gulug...which is the result Garland's attempt to merge Terra and Gaia together, right?

"It feels so close, but never quite the same" seems to fit this scenario perfectly. Am I close, qwertysaur?
Btw, rofl at this little dispute here. I like Codelock's answer (the second one)

Quindiana Jones
12-15-2009, 02:49 AM
It's somewhat hypocritical how randomly offensive I get because of other people's random offensiveness.

I'm like The Punisher, except less badass.

Depression Moon
12-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Your guess:

Zidane returning to TerraThis is a specific event that happened in the game.

Codelock's guess:

ZidaneA character of the game who relates to several specific events in-game but is different and separate to them.

My guess:

OeilvertA place in the game.

It's very clear that these are all different guesses with a variety of similarities. Though several parts of your post make some reference to events that happen in Oeilvert, at no point to you actually make that guess or suggest that it is your guess. As such, should the answer end up being Oeilvert, qwerty was completely within his right to not accept your answer.

You didn't quote the rest of mine I mentioned the stone which is in Oeilvert and the talking heads which is in Oeilvert as well.

It especially not-matters by virtue of the fact that your guess was wrong, so there's not even a chance that someone could steal your win.
Huh, what's the point of that? I'm just trying to help you all out ain't nothing wrong with it.

qwertysaur
12-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Not Mt. Gulug.

The Dark Messenger
12-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Okay...well, what about Pandemonium?...come on. i gotta be close!

qwertysaur
12-16-2009, 02:30 AM
nope

Jiro
12-16-2009, 04:19 AM
It wouldn't have anything to do with that castle with the four seals, would it? The one holding the key to unlocking Terra?

qwertysaur
12-16-2009, 04:46 AM
it might, it might not. I'll be more clear when I get a couple more guesses.

the_sandman
12-16-2009, 05:51 AM
The stone faces in Oeilvert.

qwertysaur
12-16-2009, 03:44 PM
not the faces

The Dark Messenger
12-17-2009, 03:37 AM
Eugh...I don't know. Ark? Something to do with the Pumice pieces?

qwertysaur
12-17-2009, 03:40 PM
One guess at a time please.

Tell me your reasoning for the guesses and I'll be able to give a hint. :dagger:

tminus31
01-02-2010, 10:05 PM
The projector on the bridge thing that showed terra and bran bal?

qwertysaur
01-04-2010, 10:30 PM
nope :p