PDA

View Full Version : Greatest emotional investment

Madame Adequate
08-09-2009, 02:03 PM
"What games made you cry?" is a fairly common question amongst our rabble. I'm not sure why, it's not like sadness is the only emotion which exists or can be stirred by games.

So in this thread, we're going to discuss games that had an emotional impact on us, and those we are/were emotionally invested in. (FFFFFUUUUUU RAGE doesn't count.) Not just sadness, but anything!

GO~

Renmiri
08-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Radiata stories or Tak the Great Juju Challenge always made me LOL

Jessweeee♪
08-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Persona 4 made me feel every emotion ever!

Mogi
08-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Mass Effect
I can't even explain how attached I got to the characters.
o.o

Shoeberto
08-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Metal Gear Solid. I'm working through 4 right now, so I can't say what emotional effect it will have overall, but Snake Eater was a very powerful experience all around.

krissy
08-09-2009, 09:25 PM
friggin metal gear solid

i was 13 or 14 when i played the first one so it kind of destroyed my emotions

and i was really old when i played snake eater but when the starsailor song came on i still had to sit myself down and think for a bit

Momiji
08-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Tears welled up a bit when Anna died when I was playing FFIV DS yesterday. While I'm not fond of the voiceovers, that particular scene was rather well done, and hit the emotion just right.

Vermachtnis
08-09-2009, 09:35 PM
.Hack//G.U. for me. I didn't watch Roots first so I really had no idea what was going on. So yea they mystery was there for me. And then in Part 2 my favorite character went MIA and it was really sad. Especially since they kind of played it up like maybe, just maybe he was going to make it in time. But nope. That whole scene was so heart wrenching. And then finally at the end of Part 3 it made me go awww.

Bunny
08-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I must be a cold, heartless sonuva bitch because I don't get emotional during video games.

SomethingBig
08-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Just a suggestion: since most of the comments in this thread will have to do with deaths of video-game characters, it would be best to use spoiler tags along with the name of the game you'll be spoiling.

I rarely ever feel sad during sad moments in video-games. The only one I can really think of off the top of my head is Chrono Trigger when you revive Chrono with Marle in your party.

Momiji
08-09-2009, 10:38 PM
FFIV's been out for 18 years. I don't think the death of a very minor character should be a spoiler. :p

SomethingBig
08-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Theeeeen for more recent games.

Shattered Dreamer
08-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Metal Gear Solid 3 the ending had a great emotional effect on me. Fifa when you hit the post a million times then lose to a goal in the last seconds of play annoys me to an immeasurable degree.

Raistlin
08-09-2009, 11:52 PM
I must be a cold, heartless sonuva bitch because I don't get emotional during video games.

Pretty much, yeah. Though the closest that have come to emotionally affecting me were Lunar SSSC and Suikoden II, both of which had fantastic stories and character development, so that I really cared about what was happening.

Ramza Beoulve
08-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Shame on you all:mad2:

Shadow of the Colossus ALL OF 'EM!

Madame Adequate
08-10-2009, 03:19 AM
Okay, my turn!

Pretty much all of Suikoden II. There's a sense of belonging in some places, like Muse and Greenhill, there's anger at Luca Blight, joy when you triumph over unlikely odds, sadness, all sorts. And very few things in this world make me happier than listening to Beautiful Morning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5jac7guTK0).

The Halo series. I feel outrage and xenophobia bordering on advocacy of genocide. Humans are awesome and these dirty alien bastards aren't going to get away with their crap. (See also: Dawn of War)

Deus Ex. It might be a dystopian nightmare but it is still amazing and mindblowing. Standing on Liberty Island after having ended a terrorist occupation, looking at the New York skyline, with that music, it makes me feel... I don't know quite how to describe it. It's the complete and polar opposide of Suikoden II but it makes me feel home, in a different way.

krissy
08-10-2009, 04:45 AM
Shame on you all:mad2:

Shadow of the Colossus ALL OF 'EM!

OK FINE i felt wonderful playing that game
ico was great too
actually ico got me euphoric
because the scenery is spectacular
and it got me deeply frustrated and pissed
because the battle system is ass

PeTeRL90
08-10-2009, 05:12 AM
Lufia II was the first game to bring a tear to my eye. Everything was fine, but noooo, the ending just had to eventually come along.

Tales of Legendia also got to me.

sephireland
08-10-2009, 01:48 PM
ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, the end of Shadow Hearts: Covenant, the end of FFX.

black orb
08-10-2009, 11:18 PM
>>> Suikoden 1 and 2..

Aydin
08-10-2009, 11:50 PM
FFX, FFVII, Persona 4...

Wolf Kanno
08-11-2009, 04:28 AM
I will have to come back to this one... I have too many games that mean a lot to me. Games have probably influenced me more than other mediums. I'll be back to bore you all with a couple of paragraphs and some cake. ;)

Jiro
08-11-2009, 10:11 AM
While I could list almost every RPG I've ever played, I'm going to say Suikoden V. There are so many likeable characters, and the deaths of certain characters are quite saddening. It also has an element of awe, but it's been a while since I've played it so I can't think of examples :/

Dreddz
08-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Deus Ex. It might be a dystopian nightmare but it is still amazing and mindblowing. Standing on Liberty Island after having ended a terrorist occupation, looking at the New York skyline, with that music, it makes me feel... I don't know quite how to describe it. It's the complete and polar opposide of Suikoden II but it makes me feel home, in a different way.
I'm with you on Deus Ex. One of the few games that actually built characters that I cared for. I remember the first time I witnessed Jock die I had to pause the game in disbelief. Plus just listening to Walton Simons and Bob Page taunt you throughout the game gets me so pumped with adreneline. If only more games paid as close attention to dialogue and characters.

Plus I love the atmosphere and music in the game, just walking around New York and Paris gives me goosebumps.

Madame Adequate
08-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Dreddz knows exactly what is up :love:

Another game which deserves particular kudos for atmosphere is Sid Meier's Alpha Centuari. You wouldn't think a TBS game could really do very much in terms of atmosphere, but this is just genius. The use of quotes, both real and fictional, is amazing. You get into the leader's minds more with SMAC than with games featuring real people, like Civilization. The technologies are believable and the whole thing is cohesive.

Wolf Kanno
08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
I have quite a few games that have impacted my life, I feel I've spoken enough about certain FF games so I see no reason to repeat myself on them.

FFTactics - My first real introduction to the job class system since III and V never saw the light of day here by this point. It was also my first SRPG and made me come to love using real strategy in my games. What really got me was its story and plot. The political intrigue and how even nobility can be just pawns to a social system or greater problem. Yes, it has its supernatural Lucavi but what always seemed more interesting was the Lion War and the battle for succession. Ramza uncovering the conspiracy while Delita used it to seize powers.

There was a lot of gray in the cast and events and that was something that I never really saw in any game up until that point and sadly, I still don't see much of it by today's standards. It was what I considered to be one of the first "adult games" not for violence or explicit content but because its themes and characterization was written for a mature mind to feast upon and explore its subtleties. Its something that even the mainstream FFs can't really do cause they feel childish in comparison.

Metal Gear Solid 3 - Another title that is just remarkable from beginning to end and one of the few that makes me tear up towards the end. Quite possibly the greatest story of one man's decent into darkness. The historical setting added so much weight to the events and Kojima backed away too much from the hair raising techno super babble that plagues MGS2 and 4. It felt more like the original in the sense that it felt very believable. The relation between the characters was very strong and I loved the gameplay but it was the philosophy of patriotism and the times that stood out. Despite only being in one title, I feel most would agree that The Boss is one of the most amazing characters in the series if not in gaming. The game's use of merging gameplay with cutscenes seamlessly was also amazing. My heart still gets all pump up in the escape from the last base. Its still one of the most amazing games on the PS2.

Xenogears - Gears was everything to me that people keep saying VII should have been for me in terms of story and character. A complex and highly convulated tale that is actually just complex and deep rather than purposely being told in a convulated manner to make it feel deep. Xenogears touches on a wide range of themes that most games don't even come close. Politics, religion, psychology, faith, drugs, social engineering, loyalty, and even finding meaning in our lives.

Its cast was rich and even its more underdeveloped characters were more developed than other games major cast. Its story was a grand experience that kept you guessing and explored one of the most well defined worlds in RPG history. Its use of symbolism was also exceptional and I found myself learning more about different religions and philosophy as explored the meaning. Unlike other games that may drop religious names and referece, Xenogears use of it tended to embody the whole concept of it rather than its face value. Even its "re-imagining" with Saga wasn't as sharp and as strongly used as it was in Gears. Its story telling was already complexed but when you actually look into its meaning the story reaches greater and more exciting depths.

Its a game that I feel no one has yet to actually top in terms of well... everything. Its the game I wish the FF series would move towards as it was probably one of the most mind-blowing games that Square ever made and really secretly set the bar higher than its own flagship series can't even come close to. Xenogears made me go out and learn more about the world, which is something very few games have ever done.

Both Gears and Tactics made me really question things and expanded my world. They changed my expectations of what I look for in storytelling and even game design. Both titles are emotional roller coasters for me as I can easily become so immersed in both there worlds. Even discussing the games brings me back to such strong feelings as I had when I first played them.

Well I spoke long enough on these titles but I may have to come back to do Ico, SotC, Persona 3, Suikoden and CT. I'll stop here for now.

Jojee
08-11-2009, 09:39 PM

Yeah, I can't remember a game that I ever shed a tear at. :mog:

Probably because most games I play have already been spoiled for me. xD

theundeadhero
08-11-2009, 10:54 PM
I can't ever remember crying over a video game, but they do bring out several other emotions.

Raistlin
08-12-2009, 12:15 AM
If we're allowing for a wide range of "other" emotions, Suikoden IV had a significant emotional investment ranging between laughing at Snowe and wanting to punch him in the face.

Madame Adequate
08-12-2009, 12:20 AM
"What games made you cry?" is a fairly common question amongst our rabble. I'm not sure why, it's not like sadness is the only emotion which exists or can be stirred by games.

So in this thread, we're going to discuss games that had an emotional impact on us, and those we are/were emotionally invested in. (FFFFFUUUUUU RAGE doesn't count.) Not just sadness, but anything!

GO~

:confused:

theundeadhero
08-12-2009, 12:50 AM
Other emotions I commonly feel are amusement, anger, shock (the first time I saw Aeris die it was spoiler free and my mouth dropped open), and sadness but not to the point of crying over it.

JKTrix
08-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Dragon Quest 5 on the DS really impressed me with how effective it was with evoking certain feelings through its rather simple presentation. There are various setpieces through the game that are pretty strong, but to choose one that isn't as much of a spoiler:

Very shortly after you get married and give birth to your twins (it's not a spoiler if it's on the game box!), your wife is kidnapped by some baddies to lure you into a trap. Upon finding your wife, both you and your wife are turned to stone and are just abandoned in this dungeon. Some bandits come and steal the statues of you two, and eventually auction you off to some rich guy (while keeping your beautiful Statue Wife for their own ambiguous amusement).

Now, the rich guy you got sold to, he also just had a baby... just like you! He bought your statue as a good luck charm for his newborn son and erects you in his front lawn. Then a sequence occurs showing the passage of time. Every time the baby comes out of the house, he is a little older. You see his first steps and all of that. So you're watching the growth of this other man's child as an immobile stone statue, instead of watching your own children grow. For 10 years.

I'm not sure what most other players would think of that setpiece, particularly younger gamers who may not have any parental instincts in them yet. But it's something that is executed quite well in the game, where other games may have simply faded to black and said '10 years later...'

DQ5 has a deceptively simple, but masterfully executed story that may very well be timeless. That's not something I can say for most games I've played in any genre or platform. It is probably the most unexpectedly moving game I have ever played. Other games, particularly JRPGs, you kind of expect certain kinds of things to happen because--it's that kind of world! Persona is kind of dark, FF is kind of serious, but Dragon Quest games are usually pretty easygoing and lighthearted. So when they pull off something that is really emotionally moving, I think it's quite a feat.

Meat Puppet
08-12-2009, 05:40 AM
The only real time that comes to mind is when my stack was awesome, although those Tetriminoes were piled dangerously high to that point of doom
there were those sweaty thumbs of mine and my heart was racing
It was make or break
when along came the line and saved the day with possibly my most satisfying tetris ever

xXsarahXx
08-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Im a really emotional person,

I cried whilst playing the following games...

FF7 - Nooo dont kill.....too late :(
FF8 - Happy Tears
FFX - Ending...just too sad
FF X-2 1000 words, that song is beautiful. Bought me to tears
FF X-2 Ending - All of them
FF XII - All of it, the entire game was just too painful to play. (quality wise)
FF7- Crisis Core - The ending

Kingdom Hearts - Ill find you Kairi... *sob sob*
Kingdom Hearts 2 - Happy tears
Kingdom Hearts - My sanctuary/passion. I love this song so much.

Silent Hill 2 - Endings, odd i know

thats all i can think of right now, im sure there are loads more

TurkSlayer
08-13-2009, 02:17 AM
Oh god, Final Fantasy Tactics. Multiple parts of that game just break my heart.

FFX definitely had one of the most emotional endings as far as I'm concerned. Persona 4 I invested a lot of myself in too. And Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross.

... Actually, screw it, I get attached in just about every game I play. Even Sid Meier's Pirates! had me grieving as I watched my pirate's skill deteriorate as he became old. T.T

Vyk
08-21-2009, 03:56 AM
Visas Marr made me blush in KOTOR 2 :[

qwertysaur
08-22-2009, 02:52 AM
I still want to throw Algus into a pit of cacti! :mad2: