PDA

View Full Version : Races.

08-09-2009, 09:39 PM
This is where information regarding the different races goes.
If anyones up for writing decent descriptions for the main races (i.e Human, Moogle, Elf, Dwarf, Bangaa & Shumi.) i'll edit them into this post.

Also any other ideas for the races should be submitted here.

Human:
Look like... humans.
http://www.regressionx.com/wow/Images/humans.gif
Though they prefer open regions and a temperate climate they love to travel and one can find their settlements all over Eizon.

Moogles:
Moogles are small creatures, generally only a few feet tall with white fur, purple/red/pink wings, and a red "pom pom" - a red ball of fur on a wire - emerging from their heads, which they are very sensitive about being touched.
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/e/e7/XII-moogles.jpg
Moogles can be found almost anywhere both in their own villages or mixed in with others.

Bangaa:
They have long faces, scaly skin, and tough limbs. Due to all these factors, the Bangaa are physically the strongest race in Eizon.
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/2/2d/Bangaa_races.JPG
Apart from physical differences, their intelligence and manners are not very different from those of Humans with perhaps more focus on battle/mercenary work and trade, less on expansion and conquest/government. However, some Humans hardly like them and speak about them by using the racist insult "lizard". Males and females are difficult to distinguish until their voice is heard.
Bangaa prefer warm/desert regions and hate the cold.

Shumi:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/6/69/Shumi.png
Shumi are a race of short humanoids that share many mannerisms with Humans. They are completely bald and have long arms and fingers. An adult Shumi normally grows to only 4 feet tall but they are surprisingly strong for their size. Their lifespan is slightly shorter, being usually around 50 years. Also, a Shumi's childhood is very short, having only 2 years after birth before reaching adulthood.

Shumi tend to live in underground caverns but can be housed practically anywhere, similar to Humans. The race specializes in mining and artistic talents, as well as being skilled merchants/traders. They are extremely localized, however, only leaving the immediate area to trade or research new technologies.

The Shumi are considered a collective tribe and the tribe is lead by 4 Elders. If an Elder expires, another Shumi evolves to take their place as a new Elder. In general, the Shumi dislike war and politics and tend to ignore talk of such things. Most refer to themselves in the third person and by their station (Sculptor, Musician, etc.).

oddler
08-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Good stuff. I'll elaborate some more on these guys when I get some more time. :greenie:

Aerith's Knight
08-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Could we not use FFXII human pictures? They look like gay sailors with female waists, and I'm not even talking about the women!

oddler
08-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Aerith's Knight, what's wrong with gay sailors with female waists? If you don't approve of the image, then find something more suitable. :greenie:

Shumi

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/6/69/Shumi.png

Shumi are a race of short humanoids that share many mannerisms with Humans. They are completely bald and have long arms and fingers. An adult Shumi normally grows to only 4 feet tall but they are surprisingly strong for their size. Their lifespan is slightly shorter, being usually around 50 years. Also, a Shumi's childhood is very short, having only 2 years after birth before reaching adulthood.

Shumi tend to live in underground caverns but can be housed practically anywhere, similar to Humans. The race specializes in mining and artistic talents, as well as being skilled merchants/traders. They are extremely localized, however, only leaving the immediate area to trade or research new technologies.

The Shumi are considered a collective tribe and the tribe is lead by 4 Elders. If an Elder expires, another Shumi evolves to take their place as a new Elder. In general, the Shumi dislike war and politics and tend to ignore talk of such things. Most refer to themselves in the third person and by their station (Sculptor, Musician, etc.).

Aerith's Knight
08-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Here you go:

http://www.regressionx.com/wow/Images/humans.gif

Loony BoB
08-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Origin ideas... obviously not restricted but a general idea of when to expect to see more of one population than another when you roam around the major towns on a map. What do you guys think?

Sir Lancealot
08-11-2009, 01:20 PM
I like it.

Loony BoB
08-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Only thing I'm unsure about is having the Dwarves in the Sentinel Islands. But the name just makes me think it fits...

oddler
08-11-2009, 08:39 PM
That's what's up. Great job. :up:

Did you have something in mind for the little spot of Dwarves on the southern tip of Spariva? It looks a little out of place to me.

Loony BoB
08-11-2009, 08:44 PM
I just thought it might make for a "different type of dwarf" if we ever felt like it. Honest answer: No xD

oddler
08-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Well it's staying there anyway I guess! I'll add that map to the original post in the World Map thread, too.

Psychotic
08-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Dwarves

Dwarves are all covered with fine beards, and can live for 150 years. They are stout and stocky, and have hewn their way into the very heart of the mountains through sheer might alone. They survive on mushrooms grown underground, and on the meat of every animal they can find. Some Dwarven outposts, for example, survive purely on kitten and puppy meat, and the bones are carved into totems.

Dwarves are a violent and bloodthirsty people, and take joy in slaughter. However, this can often lead to accidents. Many of the Dwarven military die or suffer grievous injuries in sparring, and disagreements between Dwarves can often lead to a tantrum spiral of violence that will destroy an entire community.

A Dwarven mountainhome is likely to be riddled with various crazy mechanisms, traps, levers and whatnot, and nobody is really sure what everything does. Pulling a lever might just make the great hall become flooded with lava, for example!

Dwarven society is based around mining. Ores, precious gems and metals are dug up from the mountains. These are then crafted into masterpieces by the Dwarven smiths, and these can be traded (or, if weapons, wielded by Dwarven warriors) for other goods.

Nobles are the rulers of the society. The highest is the King, and each outpost is ruled by a Duke, Count, or a Baron. There is also an elected Mayor to assign work orders and the like. The nobles will frequently make demands of their Dwarves to produce things for them, and strict punishments are meted out if they go unfulfilled.

Dwarven justice is simple. The Hammerer delivers a beating with his hammer to any Dwarf who falls foul of the law.

Dwarves and Elves do not get along. This is because Elves believe nature - trees and animals - are something to live in harmony with, whereas Dwarves do not see their value as anything other than fuel for their forges or dinner. Dwarves happily trade commodities with both humans and Bangaa. Dwarves and Shumi share a lot of common values in mining and living underground, however, the Shumi consider the Dwarves to be a bit barbaric for their tastes. I dunno what they'd make of Moogles. They'd probably try to eat them or something. :shobon:

They smurfing hate tusked menaces, otherwise known as elephants.

Dwarf Fortress smurfing kicks ass and you should go and play it.

oddler
08-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Now all we need is a detailed explanation of Elves. And perhaps images of both Dwarves and Elves. :)

Psychotic
08-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Images?

Oh, by Armok, I've got your god damn Dwarven images right here, son.

Rocket Edge
08-11-2009, 11:41 PM
The races all seem spot on, as does the map BoB attached.

Jiro
08-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Are there any particular differences going to be noted between the (assumingly) different human types? Same goes for the difference between an Elf and High Elf. Or are we going to just leave them all as generic humans (or elves, when we establish their race description)?

Loony BoB
08-13-2009, 09:05 AM
I figured I'd leave that open to the imaginations of you lot. :p I'm sure you can come up with something.

Jiro
08-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Islanders
These humans live on the Shiny Islands, a group of islands of varying size. Due to their tropical surroundings, they are quite tanned and athletic. While many towns and small cities exist on these islands, there are many small villages and settlements.

The Islanders are quite skilled at hunting and foraging, which had been their primary source of food for *insert time period here guys*. Their craftsmen are most skilled working with timber, especially in the creation of sea vessels. It is for this reason than many Islanders move to *Wherever our biggest port city is* in order to find employment and develop their skills.

Add or edit at your will.

oddler
08-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Islanders sound good. Accepted.

Sparivan

The continent of Spariva and the Greenfrost Islands are "home" to the Human group known as the Sparivan. Most Sparivan are much paler in comparison to others of their race due to the arctic nature of the land. Generally the more bitter of the Human groups, Sparivan only call the land of Spariva a temporary home, thinking that one day the continent of Amano will be their dominion again. War and battle are touchy subjects to them and they consider their "loss" of Amano to be the fault of the Moogles just as much as they do the Dwarves of Baroke. For this reason, a great deal of focus is put forth into their soldiers' training.

After being "pushed" to Spariva, the Sparivan learned to fashion shelters and buildings from the icy landscapes. Mountains, glaciers, and frozen rivers are hollowed and used for residence as well as a convenient source of water and defense against the elements. Most areas of Spariva still hold to traditional monarchy governments. Also, known for their silver tongues, Sparivan excel at mediation and are highly charismatic.

Jiro
08-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Wondering about characteristics of the Elves. I don't know about the rest of you, but I envision the High Elves to have a focus on academic and scholarly pursuits, whereas the Elves of Estapora are more attuned to nature.

Following this, I would assume that the Westerners would be more inclined to academic pursuits due to their interaction with High Elves. Just speculation really, if it's to be included I'd try and make it look clearer and nicer :p

oddler
08-13-2009, 11:16 AM
I think those are logical conclusions. :choc2:

Jiro
08-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Elves
The Elves of Estapora are often called "Woodland Elves" in order to distinguish them from the High Elves of Dulake. They have a great affinity for nature, making excellent herbalists, breeders and farmers.

The Woodland Elves have a great distaste for the Dwarves due to their opposing views in relation to the natural environment. Disputes seemingly always erupt whenever they cross paths, though they rarely meet. However, the humans of Shiny Island have a positive relationship with the Elves, as both peoples have a dependency and respect for nature.

High Elves
Popular belief is that the ancestors of the High Elves came into close proximity with The Crystal and thereby gained a higher level of intellect. There is much doubt to the validity of this rumour, and it is often speculated that the High Elves spread this rumour themselves to fuel their own ego.

Regardless, the High Elves posses an intelligence greater than that of the other races. This leads them to partake in many scholarly and academic pursuits, and many High Elves spend their entire lives studying the planet, trying to unlock its secrets.

oddler
08-13-2009, 03:08 PM
This is all good stuff. We still need images for Elves (they don't necessarily have to be broken into Wood Elves and High Elves) and descriptions for the Human groups Westerners and Southerners.

Jiro
08-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Southerners
While Bangaa are sometimes ill-treated by other denizens of Eizon, the Southerners and Bangaa have good relations. This is due mostly to their frequent interaction, brought on by being neighbouring countries. Southerners have an aptitude for trade and other professions requiring interpersonal skills.

Westerners
Westerners are the most versatile of the humans. With borders neighbouring the High Elves, Moogles, Bangaa and Islanders, the Westerners have a variety of skills and knowledge at their disposal.

I really didn't feel like writing stuff up for these two, but here you are. They're not what I quite hoped, but I'm sure we can fix that up as we go :)

oddler
08-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Hey, good building blocks at any rate! I like how the world map really influenced our decisions on what races are more compatable with each other, too. :up:

And let's go with this for Elves:

Ha, FFXI for the win. I would guess that High Elves would have much fairer complexion than the Estaporan Elves, too.

The roleplaying portions of Eizon will be open soon. :choc2:

Jiro
08-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Glad that's wrapped up. The world map really was helpful, kudos to those who worked on it. :up:

Loony BoB
08-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Only thing I'd mention is that for the Sparivan, bitter and charismatic don't really go hand in hand.

oddler
08-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Well, people can openly say that they're disappointed in past events and be clearly in denile of the outcome, yet still excel at coaxing others into thinking their way.