PDA

View Full Version : Songs that have meaning in your life

SomethingBig
08-10-2009, 06:37 AM
We all have songs we love and come back to every now and then. Too bad for them, because this thread ain't about 'em! This thread is about those songs that either bring you to a happy place, always make you sad, or have a special place in your heart. You may even use one during your first dance with your husband/wife at your wedding.

Secondhand Serenade - Fall for You
I never liked emo music, and I still don't, but this was playing when a girl and I were in a car at the height of our "relationship." She had me sing this song to her every night before she slept and would refuse to sleep, if I didn't. It could be 5 am, and she'd call me up, anyway, and ask me to sing to her. The song was also representative of our situation at the time.

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Aside from being an absolutely phenomenal song, that talks about how life can be tough and tiring, but you just have to power through. This is especially true, when you're trying to keep a dream alive.

Edit: Changed the title from "Movies that have meaning" to "Songs that have meaning." ><

Edit 2: Oh damn, never mind. Can a mod change that por favor?

krissy
08-10-2009, 06:54 AM
raiders of the lost ark

alternatively

theme from raiders of the lost ark

Moon Rabbits
08-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Too many to list!

Anything by Kate Bush has merit, imho. Running Up That Hill, Never Be Mine, Breathing, Top of the City, You Want Alchemy, both discs of Aerial ...

Bjork is pretty good for wicked lyrics too. 5 Years, All is Full of Love, Hyperballad, Enjoy, Dull Flame of Desire, Who Is It, Pagan Poetry, Aurora ... (edit: Dull Flame of Desire reminds me - ANTONY AND THE JOHNSONS, who, incidentally, have the most mind bogglingly amazing lyrics ever out of anything ever).

And Xiu Xiu! Brooklyn Dodgers, Apistat, Ceremony, Crank Heart, Fabulous Muscles, I Love the Valley (OH!), No Friend (OH!), Muppet Face, Mousey Toy ...

Down Under, Pier Paolo, Oh James, Symphony of Treble, Missile++, and Elephant Woman by Blonde Redhead

80% of anything by Tegan and Sara or Ani DiFranco.

That's all I can bother typing right now. Basically my entire playlist has some sort of value in it to me.

Shlup
08-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Uhh... Love Song by The Cure is mine and BJ's song. Which is horribly cheesy but whatever.

That's it though. I'm not a musical person.

Breine
08-10-2009, 10:57 AM
There are far too many to list! I really want to list them all, but just thinking about this topic makes me all confused and I'm not able to actually produce the list, even though I want to and there is so much music that has meant a lot to me!

I can kinda list one, though, and that's Kate Bush in general. I therefore agree with Moon Rabbits on that one. It's hard to say what my favourite album of all time is, but "Aerial" is most definitely up there.

sephireland
08-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Not one of their better compositions but The Apparition by Iron Maiden resonates lyrically with me. Standing on the Outside by Sheryl Crow and Nghtswimming by REM.

Shattered Dreamer
08-10-2009, 06:15 PM
What a tough question I probably couldn't give a definitive list but I'l go with hat I'm listening too right now:

No Surprise - Daughtry - Great song for helping me keep a positive attitude.

Second Chance - Shinedown - Awesome rock ballad nothing more needs explaining.

Holding Sand - Rival Schools - Regardless of how many times I listen to this the guitar tones in this song will always blow my mind!

black orb
08-10-2009, 10:34 PM
>>> Some music/songs from The Smiths..

I Took the Red Pill
08-19-2009, 08:05 PM
The original (Kermit) version of The Rainbow Connection will often make me cry.

Medi
08-19-2009, 09:50 PM
"Hypnotized" on Ani DiFranco's album Reprieve. It's not her most poetic song, nor do I really relate to it all that much, but it's one of the most beautiful melodies I've ever heard in my life. It's almost as if I can feel the song.

The rest of DiFranco's more introspective songs are powerful as well.

Shattered Dreamer
08-19-2009, 10:59 PM
What I Meant To Say - Daughtry

This song is the last 24hrs of my life translated into music!

Moon Rabbits
08-20-2009, 10:13 PM
"Hypnotized" on Ani DiFranco's album Reprieve. It's not her most poetic song, nor do I really relate to it all that much, but it's one of the most beautiful melodies I've ever heard in my life. It's almost as if I can feel the song.

I LOVE ANI. Shy, Not a Pretty Girl, and Both Hands = :love::love::love:

Necronopticous
08-20-2009, 11:47 PM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo4Y0TxW41g">I don't want to grow up</a>

Medi
08-21-2009, 04:23 PM

I LOVE ANI. Shy, Not a Pretty Girl, and Both Hands = :love::love::love:

Hell, yeah! I should've mentioned this before, but she has a song that deeply resonates with any one of my moods. It's excellent. For the last few days, it was Studying Stones, but I'm little more hopeful now, so maybe Your Next Bold Move. :D

Nice
08-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Time, The Great Gig in the Sky and Wish you were here by Pink Floyd. Love these dudes man!

Aydin
08-27-2009, 02:48 PM
There's so many to list but I think the most significant would be Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Unbreakable Will
08-27-2009, 03:51 PM
I Will Not Bow by Breaking Benjamin:
This song tends to uplift me and put me in strong-minded spirits. At the moment it seems like life is doing all that it can to make things difficult. The lyrics are amazing and the music is pretty engaging, at the moment its pretty much my theme song.

I Took the Red Pill
08-27-2009, 11:14 PM
John Williams can stir up some pretty serious emotions in me as well. Theme From Schindler's List and Cavatina (Theme From Deer Hunter) are both pretty nuts.

krissy
08-27-2009, 11:30 PM
on that note

binary sunset gives me chills
every time