PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail problem

Carl the Llama
08-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Well I just changed my broadband service to BT and it took almost a month to happen so I go to try and sign into my MSN service only to find that my email has been compromised and my WoW account has additionally been stolen aswell, im not to worried about the wow account as it is easy enough to get that back but I really want my hotmail account back, I have tried to enter the security information but that appears to have been changed aswell, iv had this email for over 10 years and nothing like this has ever happened and so im at a loose end as what I can do to get it back? if anyone can help id be eternally greatful.

o_O
08-10-2009, 01:47 PM
One of hotmail's password recovery options is to have the password reset instructions sent to a linked email account. If you entered a secondary email account to link with your hotmail (and if it hasn't been changed) then you should be able to reset your password that way.

Otherwise I hate to say it but there's little chance that you're gonna get back in there 'cos the hotmail staff certainly won't give you the password or reset it. :/

Rantz
08-10-2009, 01:53 PM
If your password and security information has been changed, I'd say what you should do is contact the Hotmail support team, explain the situation and ask them if it's possible for them to help you recover it. Include as much detail as you can, and if they don't dismiss it as a lost cause they're most likely going to ask you about things to confirm that you're the real owner of the account, so you might as prove yourself adamant by telling them things like what folders you've set up, what newsletters you've subscribed to, around what time the address was registered and so on. Hopefully they'll be able to help you, but it depends on their policies.

Edit @ o_O: I've had accounts on other sites where I lost my password and the e-mail address I'd used to sign up was no longer active, so I couldn't recover my password automatically. I contacted support and did what I said above, and after a few exchanges where I provided information about the content of the account and otherwise, they manually reset my password for me.

Carl the Llama
08-10-2009, 02:17 PM
That's great ill do just that... at least all hope is not lost

o_O
08-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Edit @ o_O: I've had accounts on other sites where I lost my password and the e-mail address I'd used to sign up was no longer active, so I couldn't recover my password automatically. I contacted support and did what I said above, and after a few exchanges where I provided information about the content of the account and otherwise, they manually reset my password for me.

Oh, well there you go then. Maybe you will get your password back.

Hopefully you can remember some details about your account/emails then, Kaiser. :p