PDA

View Full Version : smurf you Broadband

Crimson
08-10-2009, 01:50 PM
So, since upgrading to Virgin's 50MB, i've gotten more random internet disconnects/slowdowns in a month than I had with the 20MB in 2 years.

RAAAGE

How often does your ISP annoy you?

Rantz
08-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Never. My broadband is my BFF.

Madame Adequate
08-10-2009, 02:10 PM
A one minute long interruption per decade is too much for me.

Psychotic
08-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Orange used to be fucking dreadful. The absolute worst was the first time me and Dan played (THAT VIDEOGAME I MENTION ALL THE TIME) on XBL and we got to the last level and were about to beat it when my net died.

But now it's cool. Good work improving, Orange!

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I've been meaning to change my isp for ages. Currently I've been on the same contract for almost 5 years and I'm, quite frankly, being overcharged. Though I do rip the piss out of the unlimited bandwidth. Been thinking of switching to O2 seeing as we don't get any awesome fibre optics here. As a general rule though broadband in the UK is :bou::bou::bou::bou: compared to our European neighbours, atleast that's what the news keeps telling me!

trancekuja
08-10-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm satisfied.

Raistlin
08-10-2009, 02:50 PM
My ISP at home (Comcast) has actually been pretty good; I've only had a couple of annoying incidents in several years, which seems an acceptable rate. Of course I've been at college for 3/4 of that time, so maybe they've been absolutely terrible when I'm away.

I just got a different ISP at my new apartment (Cox), and I know nothing about them but hopefully they'll be good to me as well.

Rodarian
08-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Never. My broadband is my BFF.

BFF= Paris Hilton.....

MY ISP always regularily drops connection... I have to live with it :P Its either that or no internet!

Vermachtnis
08-10-2009, 04:19 PM
I hate my connection. I miss my cable, now that was awesome. But not now. It takes way to long to watch clips on YouTube. I mean it'll take over five minutes for a half minute clip to load. And pictures take to long too. And it's not cheaper, they said it would be, but it ain't.

black orb
08-11-2009, 12:38 AM
>>> I remember my old 56k connection, those were good times..

Kirobaito
08-11-2009, 01:56 AM
Here at school it works well. It's fast both wireless and wired.

At home it sucks, but my parents pay like $10 a month for it.

Parker
08-11-2009, 02:18 AM
I'm with virgin too and have had the same problem as the OP. Often I can't get on the internet at all. Virgin sucks.

Jiro
08-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Pretty much all Australian internet is either :bou::bou::bou::bou: or overpriced. My net is decent enough I guess, it's a step up from the bottom-tier of dial up I used to have. Still, a ping of inside 2 seconds would be nice.

Blue Harvest
08-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I used to be on aol and that was pretty damn terrible. Eventually I switched to Talktalk and I haven't had any problems since.

Dante WolfWood
08-12-2009, 03:48 AM
I actually work for a cable company (charter) and we get the higher tier ( I believe its 20 MB now?) for nothing. we are soon going to be updating our QAM and start "Narrowbanding" to each nodes to give more bandwidth and speed so I am actually hopefully looking at 50 MB for nothing soon. Plus My service is great! My connection never drops off and I havent had an outage yet. plus if I ever do have a problem, its nothing I can't handle on my own or call in a system tech to check on for me for free.

and the only problem with DSL over cable is the shared bandwidth but I live way WAY out in the country and I am actually on the last port of the cable plant so my speed is always topped out any time of the day.

Peegee
08-12-2009, 04:35 AM
I actually work for a cable company (charter) and we get the higher tier ( I believe its 20 MB now?) for nothing. we are soon going to be updating our QAM and start "Narrowbanding" to each nodes to give more bandwidth and speed so I am actually hopefully looking at 50 MB for nothing soon. Plus My service is great! My connection never drops off and I havent had an outage yet. plus if I ever do have a problem, its nothing I can't handle on my own or call in a system tech to check on for me for free.

and the only problem with DSL over cable is the shared bandwidth but I live way WAY out in the country and I am actually on the last port of the cable plant so my speed is always topped out any time of the day.

Every word of that post made sense to me until you said 'last port of the cable plant' -- how is that relevant to distributed bandwidth?

I pay quite a bit for my internet access, as it is no longer subsidized by my employer. But the service is pretty good. There's a download limit but I blame myself and everybody like myself who downloads a lot every month. The funny thing is I don't download any more, and by Sept I don't expect to ever run into problems with that (I used to go over the limit and they charge you an arm and a leg for moar).

All the same, I don't remotely get close to 50 Mbps and so I'm jealous. Also I didn't think such speeds were possible except in other countries like Japan...wow

Dante WolfWood
08-12-2009, 04:52 AM
our headend is located in a town that is maybe...75 miles away. so I live in a small rural town that has hubs situated so far from each other to communicate between the nodes and the headend. The bandwidth is distributed by the hubs to the nodes. well, I seem to be one of the very few customers on this node on the end. hell, there's not another customer for miles on this hub.

Heath
08-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Internet under BT was great. Pipex were terrible and now this Dongle thingy from T-Mobile is terrible because I live in an area without 3G (though were I a mile up the road, I'd be fine). As such I have a speed at the moment of... 7 kb/s and I absolutely hate it.

Dethroned
08-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Pretty much all Australian internet is either :bou::bou::bou::bou: or overpriced.
sadly this is true, my net is quite terribad, it's okay for what i pay for it though :p

Dignified Pauper
08-12-2009, 12:07 PM
I use Time Warner because I HATE AT&T, but it's the lesser of two evils. I'd love to have VZ Comm internet.