PDA

View Full Version : NO it's NOT okay because I HAVEN'T seen it >:[!

Jessweeee♪
08-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Have you ever had a movie or a game or a book or something spoiled for you because it was "so old everyone knows by now?" Are you reminded of it every time someone shouts AERIS DIES!

I've had a lot of really good movies ruined for me.

;_;

Books and games I've been lucky with though. Except for FFVII, but that was my own fault, I was given good warning before I was told.

Wolf Kanno
08-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Persona 4 artbook... :cry:

I have quite a few movies and books ruined for me but since I rarely enjoy the activities themselves, I usually don't mind.

Agent Proto
08-11-2009, 11:09 AM
I've been spoiled plenty of times, sometimes it's intentional, other times not. It doesn't really ruin the experience for me if I know a spoiler or not, but when it comes down to it, the shock value is often lost if it's one of those kind of spoilers that should come as a big surprise.

Take the Harry Potter spoiler that "Snape killed Dumbledore" as example. If I were a big fan of the Harry Potter books, and I'm not, I would be really upset about it since it's supposedly a big deal of a shock for readers. Knowing the spoiler, the shock value really goes down greatly because you're expecting it, as opposed to being caught off guard.

Jiro
08-11-2009, 11:16 AM
I rarely have things spoiled for me by any external forces. It's usually of my own doing, and that way I don't mind so much. But the games/movies/books I spoil are ones I'd probably never play/watch/read anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Jessweeee♪
08-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Oh gawd, I remember deciding to stay off the internet until I finished it and feeling so glad about it when I returned and saw it everywhere xD

Shauna
08-11-2009, 12:51 PM
For me, knowing the spoiler doesn't affect much. I may be expecting something, but the way everything plays out is still unknown and the emotion whatever happens evokes in me is still there. I mean, I knew what happened at the end of FFX, but that didn't stop me tearing up when I actually got to the end.

Crimson
08-11-2009, 12:55 PM
How about the ultimate spoiler of all?

I AM YOUR FATHER

Rodarian
08-11-2009, 02:55 PM
How about the ultimate spoiler of all?

I AM YOUR FATHER

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! Thats no True!! It Can't be! Nooooo

*falls of the site net*

Raistlin
08-11-2009, 03:07 PM
I've had plenty of things spoiled for me. It doesn't really bother me, though. If the shock value of a 1 minute/page/whatever scene is your only motivation to read or watch something, then it's not that good to begin with.

Levian
08-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Oh god yes, I hate spoilers. I go out of my way to make sure I never spoil anything both online and offline. The log out screen really annoys me by the way, I'm sure there will be more and more young people out there who haven't played FFVII. I know I'd be angry if a fricken log out screen spoiled a game for me.

I got into the Silent Hill series quite late, the first three was released and The Room was just around the corner. I was majorly impressed with SH1, so I signed up for a forum so I could read interpretations of the plot and more, the game doesn't exactly spell it out to ya. I made a point to not venture into the SH2 and SH3. Still, people were blabbermouths in the SH1 forum and I ended up getting parts of SH3 spoiled for me.

The Mole. I'm a big fan of these series, and I thought I would start seeing the US, UK and Australian versions on the internet. This proved to be a fucking nightmare. Most of these seasons were shot from 2001 to 2003 so I guess most people assume everyone's seen them. I tried my best to avoid reading any youtube comments, but even the thumbnail of the finale episodes would reveal who was still in the game and especially the last video of each season would be a picture of the mole, or sometimes the winner, as they always have a big ass interview with the mole in each season. I also signed up at a Mole forum (Yes, I'm a dork) and some moron managed to spoil 3 seasons for me in one sentence, so I scolded him. That was last summer though, so I've forgotten the names he mentioned now. Also, fucking wikipedia. God damn. wikipedia spoiled at least 3 seasons for me too. I went there to see how many seasons they had for different countries, but apparently they were more interested in making a list of who the mole was in every season ever.

Vermachtnis
08-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Yup all the time. I go to tropes and stuff and look at stuff. Spoilers don't bother me. I mean if I didn't want to be spoiled, I'd just avoid the internet.

I also spoil stuff all the time. I keep forgetting some people are uppity about it. So if want to remain unspoiled about something tell me before hand. That's how I keep losing Karma at GameFAQs. I spam and post stupid stuff all the time. My messages get modded, but no loss. But I spoil a little thing, bam -3 karma. It's stupid, it wasn't even a spoil for that game's board. It wasn't even the same series. Why are people so uppity?

Levian
08-11-2009, 09:54 PM
It's stupid, it wasn't even a spoil for that game's board. It wasn't even the same series. Why are people so uppity?

That's the point though. If I don't want Silent Hill 5 spoiled for me, I will avoid the Silent Hill 5 forum for all it's worth. I will however not expect to find SH5 spoilers in the "Lara Croft: The Legend of the Triangular Breasts" forum, a game I've beaten and want to discuss, naturally I'd be annoyed to see spoilers for a game I'm interested in there, especially if the game was new like SH5. It'd be a different case if the series you were spoiling was really old though, I'd have more understanding then.

Bunny
08-11-2009, 09:57 PM
The only big time spoiler I cared about was Luc being the main villain of Suikoden III but I didn't prevent myself from reading spoilers so I didn't really care all that much.

MJN SEIFER
08-11-2009, 10:14 PM
I know most of you don't like Aeris but I still regard her death as on of the most emotional and memorable scenes in gaming history, and still do although it's an old game. I hate it when people spoil it even though I know.

Vermachtnis
08-11-2009, 10:39 PM
It's stupid, it wasn't even a spoil for that game's board. It wasn't even the same series. Why are people so uppity?

That's the point though. If I don't want Silent Hill 5 spoiled for me, I will avoid the Silent Hill 5 forum for all it's worth. I will however not expect to find SH5 spoilers in the "Lara Croft: The Legend of the Triangular Breasts" forum, a game I've beaten and want to discuss, naturally I'd be annoyed to see spoilers for a game I'm interested in there, especially if the game was new like SH5. It'd be a different case if the series you were spoiling was really old though, I'd have more understanding then.

I was trying to be funny, but I failed.

On a serious note and something I forgot to mention. One thing I hate is when someone makes a generic statement and someone else jumps all over them about spoiling the game. When the only way someone will know that said statement was a spoiler if they are already past the point.

sephireland
08-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Was King Kong a true story? LOL.

Breine
08-11-2009, 11:20 PM
I hate spoilers with a burning passion. I try to avoid them as much as possible, but sadly I have been spoiled in the past. It sucks :(

Jessweeee♪
08-12-2009, 03:54 AM
I don't mean to be a nag, but it would help if you all labeled your spoilers if it's not obvious from the rest of the post S:

Levian
08-12-2009, 05:34 AM

I was trying to be funny, but I failed.

Oh, sorry. :D My irony detector must be getting rusty.

Momiji
08-12-2009, 05:42 AM
Snape kills Dumbledore
Dumbledore is gay
Kamina dies
Nia dies
Misuzu dies
Yukito is Yue
Toya knew Sakura's secret all along
Yuuko dies
Jun is a trap
Adam is actually Lilith
Sekai kills Makoto
Kotonoha kills Sekai
She wasn't pregnant

Hey, I warned you.

trancekuja
08-12-2009, 06:58 AM
All of these spoilers are just babies...Imagine Lady Gaga's boyfriend when he pulled her pants down. Now that's a spoiler!

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
08-12-2009, 12:23 PM
All of these spoilers are just babies...Imagine Lady Gaga's boyfriend when he pulled her pants down. Now that's a spoiler!

Talk about finding out "the hard way" why dont ya!

If im that invested in a game/movie/tv show i try to go out of my way to aviod it! But if i go to a site thats about said game or movie or tv show and someone spills it then i pretty much asked for it...still pissed that someone would spoil stuff though!

I remember going on a news website that had the name of the 5th cylon (in BSG) revealed in a news page as a headline! i was like seriously wtf!?

LOL and about Aeris....i was introduced to the final fantasy world with THAT scene lol didnt play it or anything it as just "hey dude check this game out" and *bang* lol

Dethroned
08-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Snape kills Dumbledore
Dumbledore is gay
Kamina dies
Nia dies
Misuzu dies
Yukito is Yue
Yuuko dies
Jun is a trap
Adam is actually Lilith
Sekai kills Makoto
Kotonoha kills Sekai
She wasn't pregnant

Hey, I warned you.
dammit, why did i click it!? :(

Crimson
08-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Snape kills Dumbledore
Dumbledore is gay
Kamina dies
Nia dies
Misuzu dies
Yukito is Yue
Yuuko dies
Jun is a trap
Adam is actually Lilith
Sekai kills Makoto
Kotonoha kills Sekai
She wasn't pregnant

Hey, I warned you.

That last one is debatable, some claim that she wasnt pregnant, others think that Kotonoha's insanity just refused to allow her to believe that she was.

Momiji
08-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Snape kills Dumbledore
Dumbledore is gay
Kamina dies
Nia dies
Misuzu dies
Yukito is Yue
Yuuko dies
Jun is a trap
Adam is actually Lilith
Sekai kills Makoto
Kotonoha kills Sekai
She wasn't pregnant

Hey, I warned you.

That last one is debatable, some claim that she wasnt pregnaant, others think that Kotonoha's insanity just refused to allow her to believe that she was.

Well we'll never know now because Sekai got slaughtered! xD

JKTrix
08-12-2009, 04:46 PM

This

Jessweeee♪
08-12-2009, 08:50 PM

This

You poor souls :(

Was it just Teddie, or was it the real culprit? D:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-12-2009, 09:03 PM
<b><i>Don't click this:</b></i> A bunch of Japanese character names

Man, I never would have guessed that Kotohaka kills Saburosukemaru.

PeneloRatsbane
08-12-2009, 09:51 PM
I hate spoilers, they are so tempting

the other night i was at my friends house and we were watching the TV and an ad for Sky tv came on and my friends bf said "oh I hate John Locke, he's so smug "ohhhh i can walk look at me"" and i said "oh well doesn't matter cos hes dead, they tipped him out of that airplane box" and he Whacked me really hard on the arm shrieking that he had only seen up to s3.
I partly deserved a whack but i mean come on!! keep up will ya

Elly
08-13-2009, 05:06 AM
i dislike spoilers, if i feel one lies ahead i just hit the back button...
as for the logout screen for this site i actualy never saw it as i never log out of anything as i find it redundant (what's the point of telling it to remember me if i log out), but after hearing about it i had to check it out, though funny it's still a spoiler for the newbies none the less...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-13-2009, 05:34 AM
EoFF's official rule on spoilers is that anything older than three years is fair game to talk about freely.

FFVII is going on thir<i>teen</i>.

Levian
08-13-2009, 05:59 AM
I guess FFXII is due for spoiling then. Why don't we do it in the banner this time? :p Official or not, it's still stupid to force a spoiler upon someone.

A game being thirteen years old only means that it's likely that a thirteen year old hasn't played it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-13-2009, 07:51 PM
There are still new stories being written wherein characters die unexpectedly. They can be surprised by those.

Furthermore, the case of Aerith in particular is out of our hands. The fan contingent on the Internet has openly and constantly obsessed over it since 1997, to the extent that it's an inextricable aspect of our collective consciousness. The idea of "spoiling" it really is analogous to "spoiling" Darth Vader's relation to Luke at this point.

Levian
08-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Yeah that's true. Aeris' case is common knowledge and probably a lost cause, a shame that.

Jessweeee♪
08-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Hey I didn't know :(

I mean, yeah it was my own fault I was spoiled, but I didn't knoooow ;_;

Depression Moon
08-13-2009, 10:17 PM
I got spoiled a couple of times. One was with Aeris I think I mentioned it before, although I wasn't too upset with that I'm unsure if I would have responded differently to it if I hadn't known. The most recent for me was Bioshock I can't actually remember what it was but I was upset when I read it in a preview about the second game. I read previews of sequels of games hI haven't played all the time and all those articles marked their spoilers. The thing was I was trying to avoid iot. I had the magazine for a while and decided not to read it, but I was bored and didn't have much reading material so I went ahead and read it. It hurt me then. The issue after that in Game Informer a fan had asked them why they did it and GI rudely replied that they had to in order to allow people to understand what the developers are doing. They had a few extra space on the page. They didn't want to admit that they could have just put one word in bold letters before giving the info. I'm just lucky that I forgot what it was.

The Half-Blood Prince one got me furious too as the person who did it did it on purpose because of some immature plight that he didn't like the book. That gives no justice for you to ruin it for others. opf course I still read it, but I wanted to wring the man's neck also the stupid guy on the internet who did it to a whole bookstore. Immature ass!

blackmage_nuke
08-14-2009, 04:33 AM
Because of all the starwars parodies theyve made, I was not surprised when it was declared darth vader's relation to luke skywalkers.

Also someone told me who the halfblood prince was and that aeris was going to die.