PDA

View Full Version : Games you loved that never hit the spotlight.

Crimson
08-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Basically.

For me, the one that comes to mind the most was Digimon World and Jade Cocoon, both classics which I absolutely drooled over because I just loved everything about them at that age.

Old Manus
08-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Digimon World and Jade CocoonI just came :<3:

I Don't Need A Name
08-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Digimon World was awesome.

Avarice-ness
08-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Seiken Densetsu 3.

But it's prolly because it never came out in the US, for those who played the emulator patched version know what I'm talking about.

I wish they'd release it, but alas, I'll have to just continue showing people it's greatness instead of them just knowing due to mass promotion.

SomethingBig
08-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Rudra no Hishou. I believe it was Squaresoft's last SNES RPG and it was an absolutely beautiful game. The graphics really pushed the SNES and looked like FFVI 2.0. It was never released in the US and it's a damn shame it's not one of the millions of games Square ports to the DS.

Lenna
08-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Chrono Cross and Jade Cocoon (Chrono Cross never hit europe =( so I had to play it through emulators)
And TOMBI!

kikimm
08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Beyond the Beyond. Heh heh. Although the key word is loved. Of course now I realize what a pile of :bou::bou::bou::bou: it is. But for years I loved that game and wondered why more people hadn't ever heard of it or played it. :P

Necronopticous
08-11-2009, 04:55 PM
http://progressquest.com/pq.gif (http://www.progressquest.com)

The Unknown Guru
08-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Dragon Warrior Monsters. That is the game that got me into games, and I still love it.

Slothy
08-11-2009, 05:56 PM
And here's the obligatory Ico plug from me. The only reason everyone seems to know about it now is thanks to Shadow of the Colossus, and considering it only sold about 50,000 copies it's safe to say that almost no one played it. I really wish it had been given a Greatest Hits release after Shadow of the Colossus brought more attention to it.

Madame Adequate
08-11-2009, 06:29 PM
I'll say Suikoden. There's the fanbase, the reviewers, and everyone else. The fanbase are very often "best games ever" types - I certainly am. The reviewers tend to give the games scores that are exactly average and unnoteworthy. And the rest of the world has never heard of them.

Vermachtnis
08-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Septerra Core and Digimon World. I loved those games. I didn't know Digimon World was unpopular. But I go to a Digimon forum so yeah...

Raistlin
08-11-2009, 07:14 PM
I'll say Suikoden. There's the fanbase, the reviewers, and everyone else. The fanbase are very often "best games ever" types - I certainly am. The reviewers tend to give the games scores that are exactly average and unnoteworthy. And the rest of the world has never heard of them.

Suikoden may never have reached a mainstream spotlight, but the series has sure become well known throughout the internet. The main problem is that the first two have become so rare as to be prohibitively expensive for new people to get into.

Jowy
08-11-2009, 07:20 PM
The first Suikoden can be downloaded for a mere $10 on the Playstation Store. Hopefully Suikoden II gets the same treatment.

I liked Mega Man Legends a whole lot, could never find a copy of MML2 though. :aimcry:

Wolf Kanno
08-11-2009, 08:20 PM
I'll do my obligatory Xenogears reference, amazing game that many people adored when it came out but just disappeared in the ongoing fangasm of VII fans and the hype of the upcoming VIII. It has a following on the net but the game has never really reached mainstream or critical acclaim (despite getting amazing scores when it was originally released).

I will also go with Jade Cocoon and the Digimon games. I will also add Sly Cooper. Yes the game did very well but it always was the black sheep of the "Sony Trinity". Despite doing amazing gameplay, characters, and story. People were more interested in the "FPS wannabe" of Ratchet and Clank and the "GTA wannabe" of Jax and Daxter.

SMT series also gets a worthy mention. Its nice that Persona finally brought it more into the mainstream and Atlus is willing to bring them out but it seemed like years before it really caught on and the main series is pretty damn snazzy. :cool:

Jessweeee♪
08-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Threads of Fate :(

Bolivar
08-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Obligatory JRPG back in the day: Shining Force/SFII, not really remembered when people talk of traditional isometric SRPG's.

Games of today:
Far Cry 2. I know it sold decent and it did get good critical love, but I really feel like it was an important game last year that got a bad rap because too many mainstream/novice FPS gamers realized how big transportation is apart of the game and bitched their asses off. Despite hating Rev Rant from Destructoid, I totally agree with his video on it (most important game of 2008) and could go further on it (of course i feel MGS4 was the most important game of '08).

Valkyria Chronicles. Damn. Most 360/PS3 RPGs are flops anway, but this one flopped harder. And I think nearly everyone who played it realizes that if any JRPG this gen should've gotten the consumer support it deserves, it's this one. I remember the penny arcade guys touting it as easily one of the best games of last year, and I usually think they're uninformed and unnecessarily pompous.

Raistlin
08-11-2009, 08:46 PM
I'll do my obligatory Xenogears reference, amazing game that many people adored when it came out but just disappeared in the ongoing fangasm of VII fans and the hype of the upcoming VIII. It has a following on the net but the game has never really reached mainstream or critical acclaim (despite getting amazing scores when it was originally released).

Xenogears isn't even remotely obscure. Yeah its fanbase has worn off, but it definitely had time in the spotlight. Although if Xenogears can be mentioned, I should say FFT - what I consider to be the best FF that isn't even on some people's lists just because it has a letter instead of a number in its name.

Actually, I'm also going to throw out Suikoden III. Everybody has S1, S2, and S5 as their top three Suikodens, and S3 is considered one small step above the rather disappointing S4. But I really enjoyed it.

I liked Mega Man Legends a whole lot, could never find a copy of MML2 though.

Oh man, I loved Mega Man Legends! I almost forgot about that one. I never played MML2, though.

Wolf Kanno
08-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Xenogears' fame grew over a long course of time after it was released. It only got a re-release as a greatest hits years later after copies of the game became obscure and terribly inflated in price. By the time it became really popular, the PS2 generation was starting to kick in and frankly the game rarely gets mention in the mainstream media or even in casual RPG fan circles. I'd say the game is still nowhere near as popular or renowned as it should be. It's only renowned on the web due to the cries of RPG elitist that troll forums...

Though I will give you props for Suikoden III as I adore the game and feel its on par with II and V. Its use of cinematography for some of the dungeons was really amazing and I'm surprised more games don't use it. It was an awesome game. :cool:

Bunny
08-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Actually, I'm also going to throw out Suikoden III. Everybody has S1, S2, and S5 as their top three Suikodens, and S3 is considered one small step above the rather disappointing S4. But I really enjoyed it.

I have never understood why Suikoden III is largely ignored by even the most diehard of fans. Suikoden I and II get their due because they are pretty awesome, Suikoden IV gets attention because of how terrible it was (protip: it wasn't), and Suikoden V gets attention for being the spiritual sequel (or something like that) of Suikoden II. But everyone ignores Suikoden III. To me, the storyline remains one of my favorites and the "villain" is by far one of the best in the Suikoden series.

Madame Adequate
08-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Oh, I love III myself, though I don't rate it quite as highly as II and V it definintely deserves a lot of praise and does get overlooked by the fandom.

Another game: Treasures of the Deep. Man, I loved that game back in the mid-PS1 days.

Ouch!
08-12-2009, 12:08 AM

Oh man, I loved Mega Man Legends! I almost forgot about that one. I never played MML2, though.
I'm still waiting for them to grow the balls to move forward with MML3.

Rostum
08-12-2009, 12:31 AM
Grim Fandango.

Threads of Fate :(

Here we go again... :p

NeoCracker
08-12-2009, 01:58 AM
As far as games I needed an English patch to play theres Bahamut Lagoon and Dual Orb 2, great games they were.

A lot of people seemed to have missed out on Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen as well, which is sad cause it's an awesome game.

More towards the PS1 Era, Brigandine was definately under loved. Twas an awesome game, and one of Atlus's better titles.

Vermachtnis
08-12-2009, 01:59 AM

Me too. Legends 2 didn't exactly end on a positive note.

Dante WolfWood
08-12-2009, 03:49 AM

amen brotha! both were great and I really wish they would make the sequel...the creator said he wants to but the company wont let him.

also....guardian's crusade was just....AWESOME! I loved that game, the story was just great yet simple. I just wish it got more noticed than it did :/

Dethroned
08-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Chrono Cross and Jade Cocoon (Chrono Cross never hit europe =( so I had to play it through emulators)
And TOMBI!
tombi was such a great game, i loved it, dammit i wish i knew what happened to my copy! :mad2:

Sword
08-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Zone of the Enders, specifically the 2nd game. And the .hack games. I'm pissed off that the .hack//G.U. series wasn't released in Europe.

blackmage_nuke
08-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Monkey Island and Chrono Trigger were popular back in the day but I feel they dont get the recognition they deserve nowadays. Also Seiken Densetsu 3

Slothy
08-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Zone of the Enders, specifically the 2nd game.

Can't believe I forgot these. I really hope to find a copy of the second game someday as it was absolutely incredible.

Also have to agree with Bolivar on Valkyria Chronicles. Another one that sold poorly but really deserved success. Unfortunately though, my most recent save file in the game was mysteriously deleted. I believe it may have been the unintentional result of letting my 8 year old brother in law play my PS3 when he was here a month ago, as it says I was playing it that day, but definitely didn't. Now my only decent save file is several missions back on one that I didn't enjoy that much the first time around. Lesson learned for me I guess.

PeTeRL90
08-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Let's see...

Koudelka
Shadow Hearts/Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Guilty Gear/GGX/GGX2

SomethingBig
08-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I'd also like to throw in pretty much every 3rd party game on the Wii that's actually good, like Madworld and the Conduit. It's an absolute shame that they're not selling because it sends a poor message to other companies that exclusive games that aren't from Nintendo won't sell well on the Wii.

Rostum
08-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Monkey Island and Chrono Trigger were popular back in the day but I feel they dont get the recognition they deserve nowadays.

What are you talking about? Chrono Trigger just got released on DS and sold quite a bit from my understanding. Monkey Island is also still very popular today, especially with the remake and the new episodes that are being made.

krissy
08-12-2009, 11:39 PM
are zone of the enders games under the radar? cause they're amazing. best mecha games i've ever played that aren't strategy.
great story too. hot ass music. i had to pay a lot of money for 2nd runner on ebay but it was worth it.

i dont think chrono cross was out of the spotlight. just no one liked it because it was a sequel to trigger (which i think is silly but whtve)

viewtiful joe games are fun

cant think of anything right now

TurkSlayer
08-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Shadow Hearts. I only ever played the first one because the copies are so damned hard to find. :(

Also, huge fan of Romancing Saga. Probably the only one.

sephireland
08-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Global Defense Force.
Shadow Hearts: Covenant.
Rygar.
Raystorm.
Disruptor (that one was a beaut)
Okami. Just on Okami, I'm really baffled at how this game didn't sell. It was an absolute cracker!!!
Alundra.
Dark Chronicle

Recently: Valkyria Chronicles. Seriously WTF is wrong with people not buying this game :(

Vermachtnis
08-13-2009, 03:21 AM
Just thought of one. God Hand. That game is pure awesome. Hard as hell though.

krissy
08-13-2009, 04:08 AM
Okami. Just on Okami, I'm really baffled at how this game didn't sell. It

it's greatest hits now so it must've sold some
but yeah okami is amaziiing
i would go back into a burning building for a copy of okami

Brennan
08-13-2009, 04:18 AM
I think the Drakengard series was great, even though it was very dark, it was still enjoyable, and seems to be very underrated.

And I agree with sephireland, The Dark Cloud series is great, and should have more attension than it does.

leader of mortals
08-13-2009, 05:49 AM
Radiata Stories!
Legend of Legaia!
Megaman Legends 1 and 2!
Shining Force 2!!!!!!!!!!

I used to own Megaman Legends 1, and recently downloaded a ROM of it and beat it again.

Wolf Kanno
08-13-2009, 05:56 AM
Robotech BattleCry
Evil Zone
Brave Fencer Musashi
Front Mission series
Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter
The World Ends With You
Gitaroo Man
Um Jammer Lammy

Rye
08-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Space Station Silicon Valley!

blackmage_nuke
08-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Monkey Island and Chrono Trigger were popular back in the day but I feel they dont get the recognition they deserve nowadays.

What are you talking about? Chrono Trigger just got released on DS and sold quite a bit from my understanding. Monkey Island is also still very popular today, especially with the remake and the new episodes that are being made.

Oh yes I forgot about the DS chrono trigger but what monkey island are you talking about because I havent heard any news about monkey island for years

edit! WTF I just found out about Tales of monkey island! SWEET!

Jiro
08-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Digimon World for me too. I never actually found a copy of Tombi, but I played the demo to death. One day I'll find a copy :(

Rostum
08-13-2009, 10:48 AM
I just found out about Tales of monkey island! SWEET!

It certainly IS sweet!

NeoCracker
08-13-2009, 10:52 AM

Games that don't exist tend not to sell very well.

Slothy
08-13-2009, 11:34 AM

Greatest hits titles stopped being about sales part way through the PS2's life cycle I believe and are now simply at Sony's discretion. There are at least a handful of them that I don't think ever would have done it based on the old million sales mark, Okami being one of them. Always seemed like next to no one actually played it.

Bolivar
08-13-2009, 04:37 PM

Greatest hits titles stopped being about sales part way through the PS2's life cycle I believe and are now simply at Sony's discretion. There are at least a handful of them that I don't think ever would have done it based on the old million sales mark, Okami being one of them. Always seemed like next to no one actually played it.

Even in the PS1 era, Greatest Hits were used to bring back games that were out of print, and specifically ones that had demand after such, like Final Fantasy Tactics and Xenogears.

I would assume Okami must have done ok, though, assuming it had to since it got ported. It could've been any number of things though.

qwertysaur
08-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Namco's tales series. They are so much fun to play.

BG-57
08-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Beyond the Beyond. Heh heh. Although the key word is loved. Of course now I realize what a pile of :bou::bou::bou::bou: it is. But for years I loved that game and wondered why more people hadn't ever heard of it or played it. :P

I got that when it first came out. I bought my PSX because I heard FFVII was being released on it, but I had to make due with BtB until then. It had some good elements, like animated character portraits, but it did some really stupid things too, like hobbling the main fighter with a curse for like 1/2 the game. Well, maybe 1/3, but it felt like forever. :mad2:

I think the Suikoden series needs more love. Although I'm quite fond of IV, I get the impression it's not as beloved as III or V. And maybe I like Suikoden Tactics because it brings in so many IV characters over (it's essentially a direct sequel to IV).

I loved Xenogears, and I think it's a shame they went on to make Xenosaga instead of this as a series.

sephireland
08-14-2009, 01:36 PM

Even in the PS1 era, Greatest Hits were used to bring back games that were out of print, and specifically ones that had demand after such, like Final Fantasy Tactics and Xenogears.

I would assume Okami must have done ok, though, assuming it had to since it got ported. It could've been any number of things though.

It got ported to the Wii, yes but it still didn't sell at all well. A crime against quality gaming IMO.

Bunny
08-14-2009, 06:01 PM

Try harder next time.

Quindiana Jones
08-14-2009, 06:17 PM
"Hey, ever played Okami?"
"Oh car what?"
:(

Okami was one of my favourite games until I had a morongasm and got rid of it. Just rebought it though because I missed it. I don't remember hearing much about The Darkness, though I think it's a fantastic game. However, when I rebought it recently I realised it really doesn't have much replay value. The awesome cutscenes and stuff aren't worth trekking through the game twice.

Oh, Apocalypse for PS1, with Bruce Willis. That game is hella fun with cheats on. xD

Dante WolfWood
08-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Namco's tales series. They are so much fun to play.

ya, I love the tales series. I do wish they were more mainstream, I guess most people just cant get use to the fighting system though :/

I know this is way off topic...but it would be so awesome if SE bought tales from Namco and made one with a *little* dab of final fantasy in it :p

NeoCracker
08-18-2009, 12:11 AM

Try harder next time.

Me or Kanno? :p

PeTeRL90
08-18-2009, 12:47 AM

Try harder next time.

No, Neo is right to a certain extent. BoFV is so horrible that it shouldn't exist or doesn't exist to some people.

Wolf Kanno
08-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Not my fault I'm the only one who can recognize Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarters awesomeness. It really has one of the best plots in the series. Its combat is actually fairly good and requires strategy and the overall design works well for the plot.

sir helix
08-18-2009, 11:13 PM

now that takes me back to the wal-mart after i broke my controler..

id have to say xenosaga, the trilogy was great but not many know about it, at least where iv lived anyway. shadow hearts was another one that noone really liked.

Kossage
08-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Seiken Densetsu 3 and Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns come to mind. Both are great games. :)

Breine
08-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Bloody Roar and Alundra come to mind.

Whenever I pop in Bloody Roar it's a blast from the past. Me and one of my friends played the game for countless hours back in the day.

And Alundra too. That really was a good game. I'd give a lot to get a copy of it today.

CimminyCricket
08-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Definitely the Shadow Hearts series. :c\

Lionx
08-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Klonoa...

THATS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW >(

Trumpet Thief
08-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Grandia 2! Got I loved that game :p

NeoCracker
08-21-2009, 05:56 AM
YES TRUMPET!

Though I got pissed off dumping so much points into some characters, only to have them never rejoin...

Trumpet Thief
08-21-2009, 06:30 AM
True! But it's better than having their "leaving" spoiled. Besides, it was nice for that one kid to return. Honestly, it's been so long since I played the game that I can't even remember names. But I remember that man it was magical, and it could also be really really really depressing, and powerful.

NeoCracker
08-21-2009, 06:36 AM
True! But it's better than having their "leaving" spoiled. Besides, it was nice for that one kid to return. Honestly, it's been so long since I played the game that I can't even remember names. But I remember that man it was magical, and it could also be really really really depressing, and powerful.

I do agree. THough the guy you loose right before getting the kid back was one of my favorites.

I'd dumped almost all my points into the guy beefing him up, and he owned everything.

Then he go die. :(

Vyk
08-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Dragon Force

Or ... any good game on the Saturn :(

Slothy
08-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Whenever I pop in Bloody Roar it's a blast from the past. Me and one of my friends played the game for countless hours back in the day.

Speaking of Bloody Roar, it was released on the PSN this week. I remember playing and enjoying a demo of BR2, so maybe I'll drop five bucks on this when I have the cash.

Dreddz
08-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Dragon Force

Or ... any good game on the Saturn :(

Completely agree. I'm pretty sure NiGHTS and Pazer Dragoon are the only games to recieve any notable attention out of the entire Saturn library. I think Burning Rangers should have made more of an impact than it did, theres hardly anything like it.

black orb
08-21-2009, 11:22 PM
>>> Look at my signature..

aquatius
08-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Little Big Adventure (2)

Aerith's Knight
08-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Little Big Adventure (2)

This.

Seraphic
08-25-2009, 02:30 AM
The Shadow Hearts series
Killer Instinct Gold
And although still pretty recent, Mirror's Edge deserved more attention,imho.

Quindiana Jones
08-25-2009, 04:00 PM
All I've ever heard of Mirror's Edge is that it's kinda crappy, so I've never bought it. At £12.99, would you say it's worth it?

Slothy
08-25-2009, 05:15 PM
All I've ever heard of Mirror's Edge is that it's kinda crappy, so I've never bought it. At £12.99, would you say it's worth it?

Mirror's Edge is one of the best games I've played in years. It has a few flaws (like being too short), but the core gameplay, and the sheer thrill of the experience is more than worth it.

Aerith's Knight
08-25-2009, 06:58 PM

Mirror's Edge is one of the best games I've played in years. It has a few flaws (like being too short), but the core gameplay, and the sheer thrill of the experience is more than worth it.

Although some of the parts can be soooo annoying when you try to do it without killing, because it's so hard you have to use an systematic and analytical approach that fails a lot. I had to do the final stretch about 25 times. It was on hard, but still.

Anyway, that is the only bad part about the game, but the story is compelling and the action is pretty cool.

Quindiana Jones
08-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Alrighty then. Sold.

Aydin
08-25-2009, 08:42 PM
I loved Mirror's Edge. It does have a few flaws like being too short and the mother fuckin Time Trials... but the action was really good. Though, the puzzles and just running was the best part, in my opinion...

Jessweeee♪
08-25-2009, 08:49 PM
The only thing I didn't like about Mirror's Edge was those areas towards the end when you're forced to fight mobs of guys with guns. It kinda defeated the purpose of the game :|

You go zooomrunrunrun and then you slam into an armed brick wall >:[

krissy
08-25-2009, 11:51 PM
i watched playthroughs for mirrors edge on youtube
and yeah the end seems kind of like a big deal
how on earth would you get past it without killing anyway?

Markus. D
08-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Which is why it's one of my most favorite achievements I've never gotten.

<3 that game.

aquatius
08-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Jump. It was a simple game that was made by indie programmers and released as a bonus in a playstation demo disc but it was soooo addictive and fun. You have to jump down platforms while the screen moved down. Sounds simple but eventually more obstacles and stuff appeared and later you'd unlock different play modes. You could play with 4 people with just 2 controllers due to the simple control, which was great fun.

Also, Bishi Bashi Special. It was basically like Warioware on playstation, but having 8 player parties with it was just epic. It required a lot of button mashing but it was still really great.

Loony BoB
08-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Warzone 2100. Didn't get any recognition at all, really. Best RTS I've possibly ever played (and certainly best futuristic RTS I've played).