PDA

View Full Version : New York watch out

IronOcean
08-13-2009, 03:42 AM
i am visiting a friend next month in new york city it is my first time being there since i was little. now i am overage and still little (short :roll2) but i was just wondering for those of you who have been there and who live there what are your fav things to do and what is the must have food of new york? i have had the pizza loved it and i have eaten at the veiw restraunt in times square fancy pants mcgee really and what should i just do in general

Denmark
08-13-2009, 08:25 AM
My favorite thing to do in NYC is get the hell out.

(I don't much care for NYC)

Breine
08-13-2009, 08:31 AM
I like New York a lot. My best tip is to have some time to just walk around and experience the city, instead of just seeing all the touristy stuff. Chelsea, SoHo, Alphabet City and so on are worth visiting. New York has so much different to offer.

Oh, and MoMa and The Metropolitan Museum are awesome.

Rodarian
08-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Never did like NYC but Breine Just walk around the city and avoid too much tourist stuff... I loved visiting the galleries and museums..Oh not to mention Saks Fifth Avenue! *cheeky*:tongue:

Rye
08-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Oh not to mention Saks Fifth Avenue! *cheeky*:tongue:

Mhhhhhmmmmm. :bigsmile:

Hm. I personally like the East Village, because it's a very funky part of town, lots of little stores. I forget what it was called, but there's this nice place there that sold epic amounts of Japanese candy really cheap. You get to see really funky things.

If you're looking to buy cheap boot leg sort of things, go to Canal Street.

I personally like Central Park the best. It has a really amazing vibe, I already know that's where I have to get married one day. Go rowing there, or if you have the money and want to eat up, go eat at The Boathouse or something.

I love The Museum of Natural History more than life itself. There are other really cool ones, like the Museum of Sex and the BODY Museum, if you're not squeamish.

Oh, and try this place that sells millions of kinds of rice pudding called Rice to Riches. SomethingBig says it's amazing, and I've been dying to go.

There's this place on the Upper East Side that personally makes the best food I've ever tasted called Viands. Go there. Go there NOW. It's cheap, too. Get that roman chicken wrap or whatever it's called. Oh goodddd, delicious.

I'll think of more stuff later. I don't know any touristy things to do because I've never do any of that, like go to the Statue of Liberty, since I live in NY.

qwertysaur
08-13-2009, 04:56 PM
BODY museum is <3
Natural History is <3<3
Museum of Sex is :bigsmile:

You should also consider the Madame Trousseau wax museum.

As for the food, there are enough choices to get something new every day of the year. Go to a random pizza shop on any corner of Manhattan at least once to get a slice of New York Pizza. Chinatown has some great tastes, but you should find someone who frequents it a lot more than I do to find the really good spots. Also find a Kosher Deli and get a sandwich. They are marvelous[/jew].

Canal Street is an art to get a deal. They will try to sell you short half the time, so triple check everything before you buy and be prepared to haggle.

Central Park is a lot of fun to have a day to relax outside and have a picnic.

Just remember though, a lot of things are more expensive in NYC then most other places. So bring a lot of extra money because you will likely need it.

Statue of Liberty is cool to go once, but like Rye I'm desensitized to it because I live so close to it.

Also you HAVE to see a Broadway play if you have the time. It is a magical experience.

IronOcean
08-13-2009, 05:16 PM
one problem is that i am going with someone who has never been to NYC and he wants to do the toursists stuffs i have already seen the statue of liberty no need to go back i want to see what NYC has to offer than the tourist stuff you know? i will probabaly do what breine said and end up wondering off and just looking around i do that everywhere we go and my friends hate it, but i am a big food guy and i know new york has some of the best in the world so i will def be hitting up something on people suggests

Madame Adequate
08-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Museum of Natural History fgj

I wanna go to MoMa as well. And a bunch of other museums in NYC. Central Park is pretty awesome as well and rowing is fun if you don't have some screeching harridan trying to navigate when you know perfectly well how to handle watercraft because all men are sailors at heart :irked:

Also, italian ices. Get them. Jess and I spent most of a weekend looking for one with no luck and then, on the way to Penn Station to leave the city, happened across a street vendor vending them. It was godly.

And then there was the T.G.I. Friday's where we ate, the one in Times Square. Which was nice :kaoclove:

SomethingBig
08-13-2009, 06:03 PM
All of the museums are worth seeing. Haven't been to one in a while, though.

There's also the huge Nintendo Store on Rockefeller Plaza. It's a gigantic store with all Nintendo stuff and you can play games in there. I wanted to go the last time I went to the city, but we were pressed for time. :(

Go karaoke in Korea Town, too, because it's incredibly cheap there. From what I've seen, karaoke places usually charge $30+ an hour per person, but the one I went to in K-Town charged $6 per person per hour. You get your own room and the song collection is massive. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the place I went to. Sorry!

OH OH while my friend and I were randomly in the city just walking around, we found this small, sort of hidden arcade in, I believe, China Town. It had mainly fighting games, some classic arcade games, and a DDR machine. Only the elite and most hardcore of gamers went there for the fighting games and I remember it somehow had the English version of Street Fighter IV before it was released in the US. If you're into that kinda thing, I recommend going there. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Breine
08-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Oh yeah, go watch a Broadway show as well. You can get cheaper tickets if you stand in line at Times Square for tickets for shows that play the same night (basically they sell tickets there for less money if the show hasn't been sold out).

For bigger shows like Wicked and Lion King you have to buy them at the actual venues, though.

Rye
08-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Museum of Natural History fgj

I wanna go to MoMa as well. And a bunch of other museums in NYC. Central Park is pretty awesome as well and rowing is fun if you don't have some screeching harridan trying to navigate when you know perfectly well how to handle watercraft because all men are sailors at heart :irked:

Also, italian ices. Get them. Jess and I spent most of a weekend looking for one with no luck and then, on the way to Penn Station to leave the city, happened across a street vendor vending them. It was godly.

And then there was the T.G.I. Friday's where we ate, the one in Times Square. Which was nice :kaoclove:

Hee hee. xD I love how good of an impression NYC had on you.

black orb
08-14-2009, 09:57 PM
>>> TMNT..

eestlinc
08-16-2009, 09:43 AM
I like walking around Manhattan. and definitely take a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Rye
08-16-2009, 03:15 PM
If you want a little bit of nerdy cred, go eat at the Goodburger in Manhattan. It's like, a legit Goodburger, like the movie. I've always wanted to go. And their ratings are actually really good. xD

http://twi-ny.com/goodburger1.jpg

IronOcean
08-16-2009, 05:44 PM
thats the best idea ever