PDA

View Full Version : Don't look down

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-14-2009, 01:02 PM
I was just wondering how good you guys are at touch typing. Really, I'm pretty bad at it; my right hand tends to totally dominate nearly all the time often moving into-what should be-the left hands domain. And my ring finger is generally forgotten. It feels so unnatural to type with it for me.

I honestly do think it makes me a less efficient typist than I should be considering I have been using computers for about 15 years now at least. I didn't really learn to be able to type without looking until I was about 13 if I recall. And even now I feel like I still don't know exactly where the keys are on the keyboard relative to f and j so sometimes I loss my place and I just end up writing rubbish. So I'm going to see if I can find some sort of program to teach me how to be a better typist, any tips?

Anyway, how good a touch typist are you? How did you learn, do you have your own way or do you stick strictly to always having you fingers for left: gfdsa, right: hjkl; ?

Rye
08-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Okay, this is me typing without looking down at all. I tend to make spelling errors a lot before i EDIT THEM anyway, sothis probably won't be super pretty. I'm not terrible st it. I probably type a bit too much for my own good! Tiom uch computer time, I guess. Okay, I guess I'll end this post about now. Let's see the carnage!

Croyles
08-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Okay, this is me typing without looking down at all. I tend to make spelling errors a lot before i EDIT THEM anyway, sothis probably won't be super pretty. I'm not terrible st it. I probably type a bit too much for my own good! Tiom uch computer time, I guess. Okay, I guess I'll end this post about now. Let's see the carnage!

that was hardly any carnage there at all. i think im usually pretty good at typing without looking but i hardly ever do i9t so im probably out of practice. oh yeah and this is me doing it now.

xXsarahXx
08-14-2009, 01:10 PM
challange accepted. this me not looking at the keyboard at all (honestly) I used to be a secretary so you get used to where the keys are and if i do get things wrong i can tell the position of the correct key by looking at what key i did actually press.

My right hand does dominate my left though.

Marky Tee
08-14-2009, 01:43 PM
cant do it

Momiji
08-14-2009, 02:00 PM
This isn't so hard for me. I can correct any mistakes I may make without having to look, as I type.

Breine
08-14-2009, 02:08 PM
I don't really notice whether or not I look down on the keyboard when I'm typing.. Hmm, I think I mostly don't look down, but then sometimes have a quick look just to see what my fingers actually are doing down there.

Raistlin
08-14-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm pretty good at typing without looking down, as I usually don't look down when I type anyway. Also, I can correct my mistakes without looking. I don't type traditionally, though, as I basically taught myself to type.

Old Manus
08-14-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't know how long I've been able to touch type. I remember just one day I realised that I just wasn't looking at the keyboard anymore :S

oddler
08-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I was pretty much the same way, Old Manus. And I just go back and edit without looking like Momiji. I just recently got any good at typing symbols and such without looking like ~ and | just because I don't use them that often. But whatev.

Now if I go and type without spopping something it loosk pretty bad.

(Now if I go and type without stopping sometimes it looks pretty bad.) Funny how I meant to type sometimes and something came out instead. :Oo:

blackmage_nuke
08-14-2009, 02:42 PM
I never really noticed if I touch type or not but now that I think about it I can type pretty quickly with only a few quick glances at the keyboard, usually when I start typing after a pause to orientate my hands or when Im using uncommon punctuation marks. If I try to type without looking at the keyboard at all I do alright too. For me it wasnt really a case of "learning" how to touch type, Its just that alot of typing has allowed me to be able to touch type. So just sit in front of a computer screen for a couple more years and you'll get the hang of it.

Crimson
08-14-2009, 02:44 PM
I suck at it.

Psychotic
08-14-2009, 02:54 PM
I peck at the keyboard because I don't know where any of the keys are. It took me about 9 minutes to type this post. Pretty good going.

Levian
08-14-2009, 02:59 PM
No point in looking at the keyboard, my lumpy hands are in the way so I can't see what letter I'm hoovering over anyway. I don't do touch though, my pointy fingers do all the hard work.

Jiro
08-14-2009, 03:41 PM
I don't touch type, but I don't look at the keys. My mother likes to call me spider fingers because my hands move kinda weird when I type (obviously the must look like spiders or something). I mostly type with the first two fingers on each hand and use my right thumb to space. Left pinky is shift, and anything else usually takes a bit of effort and a glance at the keyboard. This post is far bigger than I intended it to be.

Unbreakable Will
08-14-2009, 03:46 PM
I tend to glance at the keyboard every now and again, most of the time I just go back and correct my mistakes If I make any.

demondude
08-14-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm pretty tubbish at it tbh. I'm doing it now, and I'm lawyas a few keys off of the one I want. I'm a really hast typer when I look though, so i should learn to touch type.

Translation: I'm pretty rubbish at it tbh. I'm doing it now, and I'm always a few keys off of the one I want. I'm a really fast typer when I look though, so I should learn to touch type.

Breine
08-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Oh yeah, I actually took typing as a class for one year in elementary school xD

Didn't teach me much in the ways of typing, but hey.. I learned how to make my own business card!

So yeah, even though I took typing 101, I've pretty much teached myself how to type.

Croyles
08-14-2009, 04:35 PM
easiest way to learn are those typing games. They are fun, in a sad way :)

Avarice-ness
08-14-2009, 05:59 PM
This is me not looking down, not only that, but on a keyboard that I'm slightly unconfortable on. I honestly do most of my typing without having to look, usually when I look, I somehow complicate the typing process in my mind and then I screw up like half of everything I type, so it's much better for me to type without looking.

My hands go just about everywhere, I know that my right hand crosses my left sometimes if like.. the first letter is R, then I'll use my left hand, but if the second letter is R and the letter after that is like an S, then I'll use my right hand for R, my left hand for S... Yeah it's weird.

rubah
08-14-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm pretty damn incredible at it.

Proof: Meeko Nari and Jume - a meme from The Ferrett (http://jume.livejournal.com/593881.html)

scrumpleberry
08-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Hello EoFF I am touch typing. Fffff idk I'm pretty alright at it, but i've never learnt the PRO SUPER OFFICIAL way to do it, and I still slip up more than when typing regularly and I'm rather a lot slower. I normally touch type and glance down once every couple of minutes, or obv. when I begin typing.

I use my left middle and index finger, the 3rd only for shift or caps lock. Right hand I use my first 2 fingers for a few letters and the 3rd for one or two letters and return and backspace &c. My pinky fingers just sort of hover there awkwardly! No wait - left pinky does Ctrl sometimes. I never use my right thumb for backspace, only the left. I have to look for the numbers and related symbols if I don't use them often.

Rocket Edge
08-14-2009, 08:22 PM
I am preyyu good at it i think, hoervrt i think i could be completely wrong here. In gact this is impossible.

-Yep, that was alot harder than I thought it was.

~*~Celes~*~
08-14-2009, 08:25 PM
I tend to type with all of my fingers, it's really interesting :p I don't look down at the keyboard as i type, but i can watch out of the corner of my eye and it looks interesting...*stares*

Ironically enough, i took a class to learn how to type properly, and I cheated all the time cause i couldn't do it the way he was teaching (he put orange covers on the keys so you couldn't see them) and i ended up teaching myself pretty well :p

Quindiana Jones
08-14-2009, 08:56 PM
I can't actually remember the last time I looked at a keyboard.

Seriousness aside, I only need to look at the keyboard to start a sentence off, assuming I've left a long break between the end of the previous and the start of the current, or if I've moved my hands away from the keyboard. Once I've hit a letter or whatever, though, I know where to put my fingers relative to that key to get the keys I want. I make pretty much equal typos as when I look more often at the keyboard, so I think I only cock up because I type fast.

I'm 18 and have been around computers for most of my life, so it's just something I've got the knack of. GCSE ICT was murder. Jesus, in two years I learnt NOTHING. I should not have been forced to do what was for me a completely useless subject. Luckily, GCSEs don't matter in the slightest. :roll2

Jojee
08-14-2009, 09:13 PM
easiest way to learn are those typing games. They are fun, in a sad way :)

YES. :mog:

In third grade, my mom got this really old used computer and it had a really old typing program on it. I thought it was fun, it told me where to put my fingers and everything. xD and the game on it was excellent, I spent ages on that. Y'know, the ones where the words fall down the screen and you have to type them before they hit the bottom.

So that's how I learned typing. I type the correct way, as far as I know, and my WPM is 130. :3 Touch typing is easy, since I don't look at the keys when I type anyway. But I do have some trouble touch-typing numbers quickly.

Jessweeee♪
08-14-2009, 10:12 PM
It's easy! Just find the little bumps on the F and J key and start typing away!

Rodarian
08-14-2009, 10:25 PM
I usually check a for a second at the keyboard every time I type. Its weird cause before I use be complete :bou::bou::bou::bou:ters at typing as I had to look constantly to see where all the letters are placed.

Back in the days where PC's and CD ROMS were just entering the mainstream by 1992 we were taught how to properly align your fingers when operating a keyboard...

Like I said before, I was a complete :bou::bou::bou::bou:ters!!

Rantz
08-14-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm okay at it I guess, a lot slower and I make mistakes, but I'm anal enough about spelling correctly that I go back and edit all the time anyway. I look at the keyboard usually.

theundeadhero
08-14-2009, 11:06 PM
I type faster when I look at the keyboard, and better too. This whole post is me typing without looking and so far it;s ... neer mind. I could habe done that a lot faster if I was looking. I gook typing classes in school but that was more caise theu were a fin class than because I wanted to learn how to type better, I pretty mich learned to type my own way and can keep up well enough with it.

Captain Maxx Power
08-15-2009, 01:08 AM
I tend to only type with my first two fingers, but I rarely have to look at the keyboard if at all. Having played PC games since I was eight typing seems as natural as walking now. I also have a steady 80w/s typing speed if I concentrate.

Yar
08-15-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm actually getting a lot better (thanks, #eoff! :) )

Jiro
08-15-2009, 10:16 AM
One-handed typing is pretty cool too. It's not nearly as quick, but I still think I could type quicker than some people I know :roll2

Why type one-handed you ask? Think of all the things you could do with a spare hand! :bigsmile:

Timekeeper
08-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Why was the first thing that came to my mind something nasty? :(

But yea, we spent ages on typing programs in my Junior Computer Studies class, it didn't really teach me to type fast, it only gave me relatively good form.
The main trouble I have when typing is that my hands tend to type what they want to type and not what I told them to... This often leads to letters being typed that are in completely different places to the ones I wanted!

Blue Harvest
08-15-2009, 11:50 AM
I can type pretty well with minimal mistakes without looking down. The mistakes I did make have been edited before posting this as I always do.

Heath
08-15-2009, 11:19 PM
I don't know how long I've been able to touch type. I remember just one day I realised that I just wasn't looking at the keyboard anymore :S

Yeah, likewise. I don't know when I started to type properly, I just remember that at one time I did look down to watch what buttons I was pressing but now I no longer need to!