PDA

View Full Version : Grammar non pet peeves

blackmage_nuke
08-15-2009, 04:33 AM
What grammar or vocabulary mistakes do people make that you find amusing rather than annoying?

I find when people use "literally" when they really mean figuratively to can lead to some rather amusing mental images.

Also when someone ends a sentence by saying "period" to emphasise a point but sometimes they are yelling the statement so it really should end with an exclamation point. It's even better when someone is typing it out, for example "That's the worst drink ever period!" would really be "That's the worst drink ever.!" So I imagine them saying the sentence calmly then screaming "AGH!" after a pause.

I guess if you can discuss your actual pet peeves too if you want, GO!

Timekeeper
08-15-2009, 05:06 AM
Unfortunately I find most grammar and vocabulary mistakes annoying...

You could end a sentence with period if you were referring to a particular space in time though, "That's the worst drink, period!"

Jiro
08-15-2009, 10:14 AM
"The reality is.." I figure, if you're going to tell me then it must be true, and if it's not true, I'll just call bull:bou::bou::bou::bou:. You don't need to tell me you're telling the truth.

Misuses of literally are pretty funny for me too actually. :D

Rantz
08-15-2009, 10:31 AM
What Jiro said. I'm guilty of the first one myself, but I still find it amusing the way "to be honest" is used sometimes, or more so still, the Swedish bastard "om jag ska vara ärlig" (if I'm to be honest).

Timekeeper
08-15-2009, 10:57 AM
To be honest, the reality is that people literally think this makes them sound much more official, period!

The Space Pope
08-15-2009, 12:27 PM
My only pet peeve is the term pet peeve

paxx0r
08-15-2009, 01:56 PM
I find most grammar mistakes annoying, as well.

blackmage_nuke
08-15-2009, 02:01 PM
My only pet peeve is the term pet peeve

I get a little more suicidal every time I alliterate

Unbreakable Will
08-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Grammatical errors and the like tend to get on my nerves. I'm not perfect at spelling and grammar, but it really gets on my nerves when people blatantly misspell things due to laziness...
And fake hobos, they are going to get whacked with my Unbreakable Baseball Bat. :shifty:

Medi
08-15-2009, 02:48 PM
I find most grammar mistakes annoying, but one error I find amusing is redundancy, like ATM Machine. Automatic Teller Machine Machine?

I abhor the over-usage of the word literally.

Meat Puppet
08-15-2009, 03:23 PM
As long as I can read it and understand the point with little struggle, it’s fine with me.

Raistlin
08-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Vocabulary mistakes amuse me, especially people using a big word that doesn't make sense or means something entirely different in the context they put it in.

Grammar mistakes still bug me, though.

Vermachtnis
08-15-2009, 04:56 PM
When people don't use the shift key and try to make a point. It is so hilarious. Especially coupled with no form of punctuation and over three lines long. It is just so funny and makes me wonder how they managed to turn on the computer and find their way here.

Sword
08-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Grammar mistakes annoy me too, there's one that is surprisingly common and makes me angry every time I see it. When someone wants to say "you should have done that", they could shorten it to "you should've done that", but instead they write "you should of done that". The freaking "of" stuck in there doesn't make any sense!

Mogi
08-15-2009, 05:18 PM
It annoys me how many grammar mistakes are in this thread.
>:[

Edgar
08-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Not sure if this classifies under grammar (more of formatting), but I hate wall of texts. Without proper capitals and punctuations. And bad grammar usually goes along with it.

Then again, my own grammar literally getting from bad to worse.

:roll2:roll2:roll2

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-15-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm not overly concerned about other people making grammatical errors in their type. This is because I understand that on the internet, a lot of the time, I'm conversing with people that may know English as their second language. However I do get quite annoyed if I make mistakes.

That said, I do dislike the overuse of italics in type. I also detest the use of double exclamation marks (!!) in printed media such as advertisement posters and what not. On the internet I can somewhat stand the double or even triple exclamation mark as it can be slightly humorous.

Haha, that post just reads twat. That is the problem with grammar, it can often make you look like a right fudd. And I've probably still made errors.

Edit: I forgot the best part of grammatical mistakes is when the grammer police come along and tell you your grammer is incorrect. Hahaha, idiots.

Edgar
08-15-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm not overly concerned about other people making grammatical errors in their type. This is because I understand that on the internet, a lot of the time, I'm conversing with people that may know English as their second language. However I do get quite annoyed if I make mistakes.

That said, I do dislike the overuse of italics in type. I also detest the use of double exclamation marks (!!) in printed media such as advertisement posters and what not. On the internet I can somewhat stand the double or even triple exclamation mark as it can be slightly humorous.

Haha, that post just reads twat. That is the problem with grammar, it can often make you look like a right fudd. And I've probably still made errors.

Edit: I forgot the best part of grammatical mistakes is when the grammer police come along and tell you your grammer is incorrect. Hahaha, idiots.

grammar for the last part :D

rubah
08-15-2009, 07:30 PM
I like to put the apostrophe in ya'll in the middle of the word instead of after the y :bigsmile: it just looks more balanced that way!

Crimson
08-15-2009, 07:38 PM
I like to put quotation marks in the most inappropriate places just to confuse people. :D

LunarWeaver
08-15-2009, 09:40 PM
None of it bothers me unless it is a complete catastrophe of a sentence. I'm talking to the point I cannot understand it. Otherwise I don't give a fuck.

The only time I find it amusing is when people get holier-than-thou, acting like they're a smurfing genius, when they're not.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/LunarWeaver/YoureGrammar.jpg

Crimson
08-15-2009, 10:17 PM
None of it bothers me unless it is a complete catastrophe of a sentence. I'm talking to the point I cannot understand it. Otherwise I don't give a smurf.

The only time I find it amusing is when people get holier-than-thou, acting like they're a smurfing genius, when they're not.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/LunarWeaver/YoureGrammar.jpg

There's an excuse for that one though.

It's Youtube.

Jiro
08-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I love how they always fail at grammar, spelling or punctuation in the sentence(s) that have a go at the other person's grammar, spelling or punctuation. There's some justice in that ;)