PDA

View Full Version : Brave Break

VeloZer0
08-15-2009, 04:10 PM
After playing through the demo I kind of feel the whole brave break thing is ridiculously powerful. The amount of damage you can do afterward is ridiculous compared to your regular attacks.

In many of the stages where I was losing I found I just had to keep using brave damage attacks, not do a single point of hp damage, and just wait for an EX transformation to pop up. From there just a simple break and attack+limit usually drains all of the opponents hp, or close to it.

Seems kind of broken to me.

Crimson
08-15-2009, 05:00 PM
The trick is, dont get hit.

It's not very hard at all.

You cant always assume you'll land a hit, if you plan on going Multiplayer expect ALOT of dodging from other players, waaay more than the Level 9 AI does.

Skyblade
08-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Ok, that may be a valid point, but I fail to see what connection, if any, it has to the thread.

Yes, the Brave Break bonus is ridiculously overpowered. It adds, on average, 2100 Brave Points in Hard Mode. While the Hard Mode characters average 5500 HP. That's over a third of the max health just in the point bonus, in addition to the base Brave and whatever you get from attacks. So two Brave Breaks essentially set you up for a one-hit victory. In fact, it makes the most efficient way to play to be hit by your opponent so they recover from Break instantly and you can Break them again, getting the jackpot bonus. It is ridiculously overpowered, and I am sincerely hoping that it is an option that can be turned off or dramatically increased.

It doesn't seem to change the results of the battle any, as anyone put into Break status is probably going to lose anyway, it just makes the battles end much, much faster than they would otherwise, and I am not a fan of that at all.

Crimson
08-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Once again, it doesnt end the battles fast at all because your ASSUMING you'll always get a hit in fast, it doesnt work that way, Dissidia isnt a typical fighter, it requires alot on dodging which is fairly easy to do.

If your judging your opinions based on the AI dodging capabilities (which is absolute shyte) then I wont even acknowledge this thread.

Skyblade
08-16-2009, 09:30 PM
No, I'm judging my information on the simple fact that the game is adding enough Brave to one character to do over one third of a character's HP worth of damage in a single hit. Whether you are getting hit a lot, or not at all, it doesn't change anything about that. That is a HUGE amount of Brave that just pops out of nowhere, and it makes the game go by that much faster. If, in multiplayer, you only get hit once every five minutes, then a match would normally take, say, 45 minutes (9 hits at about 600 each, which is base brave [because, if you don't hit your enemy, your brave doesn't go up past the base amount]). With Brave Break, that goes down to about 15 minutes (2 2600 damage hits and another 5 minutes for extra time to achieve the Break). No matter how "often" you are hitting your opponent, Brave Break makes the game go much faster.

Wolf Kanno
08-17-2009, 05:53 AM
It does seem like a pretty cheap mechanic. I've had some concerns at the "brokenness" of some of the gameplay mechanics as I've seen videos of people getting wailed on and then using a summon to raise their Brave, use a Brave Break, and then finish with their Ultimate attacks. It really does seem unfair.

Yet I feel part of the problem is fixed by Crimson's response that the computer is just stupid whereas another player would know better than to fall for this. Lots of fighting games have this issue, the computer is either too dumb or too intelligent (damn you Guilty Gear *shakes fist*) but once you get it on a player vs. player scenario, the whole thing works itself out to some degree.

Crimson
08-17-2009, 04:25 PM
It's for this reason why in a players hands, Exdeath is considered o be the strongest character in the game, he has several Guard attacks that do exactly what you think, they Guard, All Guard being his strongest because it blocks EVERYTHING.

Skyblade
08-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Well, I know plenty of gamers who have trouble properly executing blocks and dodges in a lot of fighting games, so you're assuming that all players are on a particular skill level, which may not be the case.

Frankly, though, I don't really care about the PvP aspects. I only have one friend who has a PSP, so I won't be playing much against anything other than the AI. And when fighting the AI, it is annoyingly overpowered, and I sincerely hope we get the option to turn it (and the summons) off.

Wolf Kanno
08-18-2009, 01:45 AM
That's too bad, if it had real Wi-Fi support I would have played you Skyblade. ;)

I doubt you can turn them off as that rarely happens in any fighting game since it appears to be part of the core gameplay. At the same time though, I feel the game is going to be incredibly noob friendly for a fighting game. Looking back at Squares past attempts at fighting games (Tobal, Bushido Blade, and Ehrgiez) I'm not expecting anything here that will satisfy my fighting game itch. So I don't think blocking or dodging will be too difficult unless the PSP controls get in the way...

Crimson
08-18-2009, 03:34 AM
That's too bad, if it had real Wi-Fi support I would have played you Skyblade. ;)

I doobt you can turn them off as that rarely happens in any fighting game since it appears to be part of the core gameplay. At the same time though, I feel the game is going to be incredibly noob friendly for a fighting game. Looking back at Squares past attempts at fighting games (Tobal, Bushido Blade, and Ehrgiez) I'm not expecting anything here that will satisfy my fighting game itch. So I don't think blocking or dodging will be too difficult unless the PSP controls get in the way...

Having played the Japanese version, I can assure you, Exdeath, The Emperor, Ultimecia and Golbez are great characters but are HORRIBLE to start with if you dont have decent experiance with the game.

Wolf Kanno
08-18-2009, 04:16 AM
Well that is good to hear.

Ramza Beoulve
08-18-2009, 05:58 AM
The computer level used in the Demo is actually quite low compared with the computer the normal game will have/has. The computer knows how to block and dodge, but the demo shows you maybe a level 4 computer, with a level 30 of HP and brave. That's actually low compared with what the computer can toss at you when leveled up to its maximum.

Related to the attacks, the computer can be quite doggy with you, it will break your soul if you're not ready for the battles, and will not doubt using summons when it needs them. Be assured, the game has quite good computer levels.

Skyblade
08-18-2009, 06:32 AM
How does the PSP's multiplayer work anyway?

And, thanks for the reassurance, Ramza. I'll look forward to fighting the stronger AI when the game comes out.

Ramza Beoulve
08-18-2009, 06:49 AM
I haven't tested the online multiplayer, but with Ad-Hoc you can battle a friend's customized character, with your own. It is quite fun actually.

And you're welcome Skyblade.

I'll just add something. The only quite fool AI is ExDeath one, but maybe it will be tweaked for the US release. Anyways, it is extremely powerful in good hands (but his defenses aren't flawless)