PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft: Cataclysm speculation thread. HUGE SPOILERS.

Jowy
08-15-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't want to clutter the character information thread with twenty pages of us nerdgasming and raging over the alleged information leak that has been a hot topic of discussion over the past twenty-four hours. For those who haven't seen it yet, check the front page of MMO-Champion. (http://www.mmo-champion.com/)

Playing an undead hunter would be pretty fuckin' awesome. Seeing as their faction leader is a Ranger Lord anyway, it just feels right. Goblin Rogue? The NPC in the Dalaran sewers decked out in Bloodfang leather is just adorable. I want to be him. I'm still on the fence about orc mages, but with Thrall allegedly being the new Guardian of Tirisfal, I'm sure him and Jaina will have some newfound knowledge to share with what will remain of the Horde after Garrosh's staggering dicketry and horrible decision making. Saurfang needs to cleave a bitch.

Bunny
08-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I really don't like a lot of the rumored character-class combinations because I'm a huge lorefag and the majority of them go against the lore for that specific race. Taurens don't believe in the light, as they are specifically a nature worshiping race, and so they shouldn't be capable of hosting paladins or priests. Likewise, Night Elves being able to control fire, frost and arcane magic goes against their strict belief system and disregards a major chunk of their racial history. As far as I'm concerned, this is a giant copout by Blizzard as the only classes combinations that make sense are Human Hunter, Undead Hunter, Orc Mage and Troll Druid (sorta). Adding lore-based quests to explain their decisions is an even further cop out. Regardless, the entire revelation was so Blizzard didn't have to release another Hero Class since Death Knights are horrible. Whatever.

As far as the rest of the expansion is concerned, I'm excited to see how it turns out. I don't like the increased level cap, but I hear they're going to limit it to one level per patch, which could make it extremely annoying or decent, depending on how well they do it. Although, it's Blizzard so it'll probably end up being horrible.

Worgen joining the Alliance is amazing, especially since they are supposed to have two customizable forms. This may effect my faction decisions on whether or not I'll switch over any of my characters as having a Worgen anything will be amazing. Goblins are okay but it depends on what they are allowed to have.

The revamp to Azeroth as a whole and the revisitation is going to make the expansion amazing for a lot of people, myself included. I never got to do anything in vanilla because I started way too late and leveled through BC. Now that I actually get to participate in some of the revamped content, I'm pretty excited. I don't like the idea of flying mounts being allowed in some parts of Azeroth but a lot of people have been complaining about the lack of it so it is understandable that Blizzard would relent from their previous statements of not ever letting that happen.

Thrall will hand over the leadership of the Horde to Garrosh Hellscream, while he serves as a coordinator for both the Horde and Alliance forces in and effort to combat the new threat of the Naga and Black Dragonflight. Without Thrall to keep Garrosh in check, he declares open war on the Alliance. In the political upheaval Cairne Bloodhoof is implicated as a traitor to the Horde and murdered by Garrosh. Cairne's son Baine takes over as the new Tauren chieftan. This could explain why Baine was removed from the game in Patch 3.2.2, you can find more information about this in Ahmo Thunderhorn - replacement for Baine Bloodhoof?

I started jerking off immediately when I read this.

Madame Adequate
08-15-2009, 09:43 PM
I call shens on much of it. But let's speculate anyway.

The post itself is badly structured. I was raging about Goblin lore before I got to the stuff which indicated the Goblins might be totally screwed to the point that they need to seek refuge.

Dorf Mage and Shammy fgj. Shammy makes little sense but I love Dorfs so I don't really care :grover:

Cataclysm will be the first expansion not to introduce a new continent, instead making use of previously unreleased zones and revamping existing ones.

Remaking Old World is something I've been thinking should be done in patches for a long time (even two or three zones per patch would take years but it would be neat to see). I'm honestly unsure how good a business move it would be (Can you imagine the number of people saying "But we've already PAID for Vanilla WoW, we want NEW content in this $30 expac!") but I'd probably pay for it, especially if these turn out to be true:

# Durotar is wrecked and apparently Orgrimmar could be destroyed. A new Orc city is rebuilt over the course of the expansion.
# Gnomeregan will be part of the expansion as well and gnomes might be able to reclaim their capital. (The last part is still unconfirmed)

Utterly epic. And seeing Old World stuff change as you undergo quests would be neat as well. Still don't see how they'll sell this to the public, I guess they'd focus on the new content and say "We're also changing Old World stuff a lot so your alts will have a fresh experience?"

Bunny
08-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Dwarven Shamans make sense if the Wildhammer Dwarves decide to join the Alliance, as most of those dwarves are both druids and shamans.

And yeah, I was in the same spot when I first heard that Goblins would be the new Horde race introduced. It had me raging and wondering how they were going to make that happen. Then I read some things and it made a bit of sense.

Madame Adequate
08-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Dwarven Shamans make sense if the Wildhammer Dwarves decide to join the Alliance, as most of those dwarves are both druids and shamans.

Fair point. Would be pretty interesting to have new variations of races, like the Wildhammer Dwarves and such.

Jowy
08-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Loken's globe in Halls of Lightning shows a reshaped Kalimdor, looking slightly different than that on the world map. Foreshadowing for quite a while that we've just assumed as LOL BLIZZ? He knows what's up. Dwarven shamans need lightning shooting out of their beards like the Stormforged ones all throughout Northrend, that would be completely badass.

Azshara being revamped to a 10-20 zone rather than the pointless mid 40s suckfest that it is now would be nice to see, Grim Batol and Uldum as possible raids? Hell yes. Present-day Hyjal? Awwww yeah.

Go hang out in Elder Rise in TB. Since the patch came out, there is a quest in Dalaran that points Horde players there to hear a conversation about the Light from the NPCs there. There's allegedly going to be one in Darnassus with the Highborne returning as well.

McLovin'
08-15-2009, 11:30 PM
We still haven't even gotten to fight Arthas yet :p

All the race to class changes are alright EXCEPT for Tauren. It is completely fucked to have a Tauren Paladin or Priest. I mean a COW?

This old world revamp expansion is looking pretty good. Might be incentive to play the game again. Wotlk is pretty boring without being a raider.

Madame Adequate
08-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Azshara being revamped to a 10-20 zone rather than the pointless mid 40s suckfest that it is now would be nice to see

Aw no son, you did not just diss Azshara. Most underrated zone ever.

I've been checking :bou::bou::bou::bou: on MMOchamp and I'm gradually growing more convinced of this all.

Markus. D
08-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Forsaken Hunter, I like it.

Surely they'll either revolutionize the MMORPG genre by having a non-instanced transition between location time-periods (if they're going as far as I think they are)... or absolutely blow it, making the need to buy the expansion rather pointless pretty-ness wise.

Freya
08-17-2009, 03:44 AM
I think a lot of it would make sense. I've been playing since vanilla and there was a lot of azeroth I had no need to see while leveling. Hell There were a bunch of flight paths I didn't get until I tried for the explorer achievement. I think revamping azeroth will help have players experience a lot of stuff they wouldn't have before.

I've been checking :bou::bou::bou::bou: on MMOchamp and I'm gradually growing more convinced of this all.

I'm thinking it's pretty valid I mean they had this (http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=570.0) before wrath was announced :p

I think having Garrosh take over gives them more of a reason to make more wintergrasp-ish pvp zones since WG is such a hit. Plus don't a lot of horde dislike thrall because he wont attack the alliance? Lore wise that is.

I mean alliance have varian as a d-bag ruler why can't horde have a jerkoff leader too xD

I bet they wanted to upgrade Org since that's the favorite city by many :P But they had no reason so they just said, "smurf it, let's just make a new city instead."

If you try the new coliseum there is that whole dialogue between Garrosh and Varian basically bitching each other out. They are setting it up for him to declare all out war on alliance.

ALSO I bet they just wanted to update thralls model too xD

EDIT: They had edited the article that is up now but the previous one before edited I remember seeing somehting about Ragnaros =3 I am dancing with glee at that still.

McLovin'
08-17-2009, 04:16 AM
They really MUST make Garrosh leader because game-wise Blizzard can't have the Alliance and Horde not at all out war with each other. In Vanilla and TBC the Horde and Alliance were getting along sorta but this meant less hate from both factions but now with Varian as King and this change they can implement a lot of faction war things which keep the game as it should be, a game. :p

Freya
08-18-2009, 06:38 PM
I think saurfang will die with the arthas battle o.o

Avarice-ness
08-18-2009, 08:33 PM
I think saurfang will die with the arthas battle o.o

You can't just KILL Saurfang.

Serapy
08-18-2009, 08:39 PM
We still haven't even gotten to fight Arthas yet :p

All the race to class changes are alright EXCEPT for Tauren. It is completely smurfed to have a Tauren Paladin or Priest. I mean a COW?

This old world revamp expansion is looking pretty good. Might be incentive to play the game again. Wotlk is pretty boring without being a raider.

Holy cow!

Tauren Rogue would be nice.

Freya
08-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Lol well if garrosh does take over I don't think saurfang would let him outright kill carine and attack the alliance. So I think something is going to happen to him :/

McLovin'
08-18-2009, 10:15 PM
The long awaited Saurfang Cleave vs the Frostmourne strike...

There is just no comparison!

Madame Adequate
08-18-2009, 11:50 PM
I cried aloud with mirth and merriment well if garrosh does take over I don't think saurfang would let him outright kill carine and attack the alliance. So I think something is going to happen to him :/

Maybe Saurfang goes with Thrall?

Bunny
08-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Or that could be one of the quests chains. A large chain like the one that leads to an attack on Undercity for the retaking or something like that. Saurfang leading a group of horde into the city to head off Garrosh before he can do any more damage.

It'd be a pretty fun quest.

G3ORGE
08-19-2009, 01:16 AM
So they basically dropped a nuke on the world?

Jowy
08-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Probably one of the moons. There'll be a Caverns of Time raid with a three day lockout timer with the Infinite Dragonflight attempting to prevent it from crashing into Kalimdor. One person in the raid will randomly get turned into a boomerang shooting naga to make it a vehicle encounter.

Madame Adequate
08-19-2009, 01:48 AM
The Blue Child is quite conspicuously absent.

Freya
08-19-2009, 02:42 AM
I dunno, I think they still want it to go back to more of orcs vs humans kinda thing. If Saurfang comes in and takes over Garroshs spot you wont have a reason to be all OMG PVP!

My theory is Garrosh gets someone to kill carine and then blames it on alliance so he can rally the horde. I doubt the tauren would stand by while the orcs murder their leader. They'd just split off from the horde and probably join the night elfs if they had to (moonglade). SO YEAH I think he's gonna rally the horde :P

Madame Adequate
08-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Wow, they are not kidding around. Old World looks pretty darned different, from the trailer. Goblins fgreatestj.

Also check this convo:

Huxley says:
If Gilneas was phased, so Worgen players actually played through the civil war there, starting 'earlier' in the timeline than other new characters and catching up once they complete quests.
Pike says:
=o
That would be awesome
hey guess what they just said?
Regarding the worgen starting zone?
xDDDDDD
Huxley says:
... are you serious? xD
Pike says:
Well if "the starting zone will have you playing through how the plague happened" counts, then yes xD

:cool: I called it several seconds before it happened.

Bunny
08-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Pretty excited about this so far. Worgen Hunter inc

Goblin and Worgen racials are amazing so far.

Also,

The Horde finally conquered Southshore.

Finally.

Sunken City of Vashj'ir will be an underwater zone and was the home city of Lady Vashj before the original sundering, this is a gateway to the Abyssal Maw. Going through the Abyssal Maw will take you to the Elemental Plane of Water, even if the zone will be underwater you will be walking on the sea floor here, new underwater mounts will be available and should have the same speed as normal flying mounts.

Some of this is just awesome.

The Deadmines and Shadowfang Keep will be back in a brand new level 85 heroic version.

OHGOD

Madame Adequate
08-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Heroic Deadmines is pretty much the greatest news in WoW since WoW was released, yeah.

Markus. D
08-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Worrrrrrgen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McLovin'
08-22-2009, 01:00 AM
The Alliance rejoices as hundreds of 12 year olds flock to become Worgens.

I'm not sure I like them changing old Azeroth forever. I mean the play through should be something like Old Azeroth -> Outland -> Northrend -> New Azeroth

Cause someone who doesn't want Cataclysm and maybe wants to remain in the old world will not be able to do this because even if you don't have the expansion this change will affect even the original WoW box.

Not too fond of the Ragnoras/Deathing/Elementals story. Too out there for my liking. The trailer made it seem this expansion will intervene in the fight against the Lich King so perhaps we won't kill Arthas just yet.

Bunny
08-22-2009, 02:15 AM
I don't think they ever intended for Arthas to ever be killed, maybe just fought. There is still 3.3 as far as I know.

Goblins
Rocket Jump - Activate your rocket belt to jump up to 20 yards, every 2 min
Rocket Barrage - Fire your belt rockets at an enemy within 30 yards, every 2 min. (Shared cooldown with Rocket Jump)
Time is money - Cash in on a 1% increase to attack and casting speed.
Best Deals Anywhere - Best possible gold discount, regardless of reputation.
Pack Hobgoblin - Calls in your personal servent, allowing you bank access every 30 min.
Better Living Through Chemistry - Alchemy skill +15, Your potions give more health / mana
Goblins can be all classes except Paladin or Druids

Worgens
Darkflight - Activate your true form, increasing movement speed by 70% for 6 sec, every 3 min.
Viciousness - Increase damage by 1%.
Abberation - Reduced duration on Curses and Diseases used against you by 15%.
Flayer - Skinning skill +15, you skin creature fast, and you don't even need a knife.
Worgens can be all classes except Paladins or Shamans

Worgen Form
The Worgen Form is cosmetic only
out of combat you can pick between Human or Worgen.
In combat you will be a worgen.

Not sure I like the hunter mana-to-energy change.

Jowy
08-22-2009, 02:23 AM
[2. Trade][Belfadin] wtf why does alli get worgen that is so gay im rerolling
[2. Trade][Belfadin] seriously just dumb little green :bou::bou::bou::bou:s i f u blizz
[2. Trade][Belphiroth] petition blizz and dont buy the xpac
[2. Trade][Belphiroth] worgen dk ftw

I am so excited.

I'll be sad to take some of my alts out back and shoot them though, time to start hoarding stuff for my new undead hunter. 8-)

Bunny
08-22-2009, 03:38 AM
I'm going to have to find another character to transfer to Draka. Fuck Undead hunter, I'm going Worgen. Maybe my druid or something.

Markus. D
08-22-2009, 05:22 AM
Why not both Bunny?

Then you can be Epic AND a Volfen.

Madame Adequate
08-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Worgenfreeman
Terryworgen
Worgenbackwards
Worgen Hunter: Pitcher/Worgen pet wolf: Catcher (Or vice-versa)

etc. etc.

Jowy
08-22-2009, 06:52 PM
You're forgetting all of the obligatory Twilight werewolf names they'll get stuck with.

Bunny
08-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Jowy hop onto Deathwing and reserve JACOBxBELLA for me.

Jowy
08-22-2009, 07:01 PM
okay.

Renmiri
08-22-2009, 07:10 PM
video
YouTube - World of Warcraft Cataclysm Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a3TxilrTUo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fapplesider&feature=player_profilepage)

Bunny
08-22-2009, 07:32 PM
okay.

Thanks. I'll eventually start playing again.

Bunny
08-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Not too fond of the Ragnoras/Deathing/Elementals story. Too out there for my liking. The trailer made it seem this expansion will intervene in the fight against the Lich King so perhaps we won't kill Arthas just yet.

Icecrown Citadel
Icecrown Citadel will have 4 floors.
It will be a 10 and 25 players raid with 12 bosses
Waypoints / Teleporters are being reused here because the instance is really big.
You will fight Sindragosa, the ultimate Frost Wyrm. You will also fight Arthas.
The instance is built around the spire where the Ice Throne sits.
At the 2nd floor, you will have to board an airship with your faction leader and race against the other faction to reach the 3rd floor. You will eventually board their ship with rocket packs and catapults to fight them.
The 3rd floor seems to be the biggest one and will feature 3 wings
The 4th floor is where you will fight Arthas

POASTING TWICE

McLovin'
08-22-2009, 11:03 PM
The Frozen Throne is in the trailer.

Madame Adequate
08-27-2009, 11:59 PM
I bet dollars to donuts that the inn in Westfall will still not be finished.