PDA

View Full Version : I'm down $300

SomethingBig
08-17-2009, 01:55 AM
... because I just bought my books for school.

In exactly a week, I'll be going back to school for my senior year. So when are you guys going back? What year? Are you looking forward to going back? How much do you spend on books? How active are you within the school community? What do you think Zack Morris is up to these days?

I go to the College of New Jersey and, even though I'm a senior, I still have a year and a half left. I'm a Secondary Ed. major with a concentration in English. Since transferring to TCNJ, I haven't really done much at school. This year, though, my friend and I plan on joining a million clubs, like the Outdoors Club and the Alternative Films club. I think Zack Morris divorced Kelly and got back with that hussy from the beach resort.

So to those that are returning or the incoming newbie freshmen, tell me about your school life. Or die. :mad2:

eestlinc
08-17-2009, 02:09 AM
I ain't never goin' back! Unless I get hired to teach or something.

Madame Adequate
08-17-2009, 02:10 AM
I'm hoping to go to the University of Reading to pursue a Master's in Strategic Studies. But because it's crunch time right now, I'm rather nervous about it all.

I'm very much looking forward to it though :jess:

In my first year I joined a bunch of clubs and promptly went to none of them xD

PeTeRL90
08-17-2009, 02:19 AM
My classes start tomorrow. Tuition went up a bit as did the cost of books so it wasn't exactly the cheapest of semesters.

Four classes on MWF from 10-2 with a Lab in Biology on Thursdays from 1-3:50. Fun.

Bunny
08-17-2009, 02:20 AM
So when are you guys going back? What year? Are you looking forward to going back? How much do you spend on books? How active are you within the school community? What do you think Zack Morris is up to these days?

I'm attending a community college at the moment but will probably transfer to a university next semester. I tire of the constant run around and bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: that I am forced to deal with on an almost weekly basis just to have my money all but stolen from me by con artists. Classes start on the 24th (I think) and it'll be my first year (took summer courses, starting late due to military). I expect to send somewhere in the couple hundreds of dollars on books that I probably won't need.

Also he's a lawyer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_the_Bar_(TV_series)).

The Space Pope
08-17-2009, 02:21 AM
The Space Pope once went to college....briefly.

I may go back when I can afford it, right now I sleep on the floor and siphon my internet from neighbors so I'm pretty far off.

Just because I run an intergalactic church doesn't mean I'm rich :colbert:

Those lawsuits cost alot of money ;D

eestlinc
08-17-2009, 02:23 AM
I'm hoping to go to the University of Reading to pursue a Master's in Strategic Studies.
Strategic Studies? Do you get to play Tactics for homework?

Kirobaito
08-17-2009, 02:25 AM
So when are you guys going back?
School starts on the 24th.

What year?
I will be a senior.

Are you looking forward to going back?
Yes. I'm tired of the summer.

How much do you spend on books?
I spent $500 on books this semester.

How active are you within the school community?
Not very. I played College Bowl for two years, but they ended that nationally so I lost my only extracurricular activity.

What do you think Zack Morris is up to these days?
I saw the SBTB gang on some magazine at the grocery store.

Rye
08-17-2009, 03:21 AM
Going to University of Reading in a month. I'm very excited, but they're being pains in the ass about my housing!

I went to University of Rhode Island for my freshman year. I don't recommend it, unless you like boredom, farms, and isolation or unless you join a sorority.

Shlup
08-17-2009, 03:26 AM
I'm living off unemployment. I can do anything at any time I want.

As long as it doesn't cost very much money. ;_____________;

Marshall Banana
08-17-2009, 03:28 AM
Jeremy and last semester taught me that, unless one has a math, art history, or literature class at my school, one doesn't need to buy textbooks. Textbooks are ridiculous!

Edit: I have a lowly Spanish class this semester, I think, so I probably will buy the textbook for it.

Shlup
08-17-2009, 03:32 AM
Oh yeah, I totally didn't buy any textbooks my whole last year of college. Didn't even notice they were gone.

Ki Ki
08-17-2009, 04:12 AM
It's back to reality tomorrow, sadly.
I haven't even looked up what textbooks I need... I usually leave that until the end of the first week in case I end up dropping a class or in case the instructor suddenly decides we don't really need to use the textbook. Also, if procrastination was a drug, I'd be an addict. :)

But I'm already down $200 just for a parking permit. Because downtown campuses suck and stuff...

Oh and I'll be a junior this year. Not active in the school community. No idea who Zack Morris is.

SomethingBig
08-17-2009, 04:31 AM
But I'm already down $200 just for a parking permit.

I had to pay $280 for mine. :(

Kirobaito
08-17-2009, 04:38 AM
I'm not going to buy a parking permit. I can catch the bus from my apartment which is there every fifteen minutes.

Madame Adequate
08-17-2009, 04:55 AM
Jeremy and last semester taught me that, unless one has a math, art history, or literature class at my school, one doesn't need to buy textbooks. Textbooks are ridiculous!

Basically yes. I could have got away with only buying... three books throughout the whole time. But then I wouldn't have a nice row of academic books on my shelf :D

SomethingBig
08-17-2009, 05:00 AM
I start every semester with a studious mindset. I tell myself that this will be the semester that I read EVERYTHING I'm required to read and I'll be a good student. I usually stop reading anything and everything by the end of the first month. :D

My textbooks will then be used entirely for quotes for my papers, but never for reading!

Shoeberto
08-17-2009, 06:59 AM
School starts back up at the University of Arkansas next Monday... not excited! I worked all summer and really want to enjoy what time I have left for a break. Classes shouldn't be anything terribly hard... I don't think. But having to get up and do them, then work, then do homework as my schedule for the second year in a row is kinda annoying. It'll be my junior year in computer science btw.

rubah
08-17-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm one week out of summer school. I'm not comfortable enough yet to talk about the fall session.

Yar
08-17-2009, 07:23 AM
So when are you guys going back? -- August 24
What year? -- College Freshman
Are you looking forward to going back? N/A
How much do you spend on books? -- $160 already, hoping to get by on just $100 for the remaining two.
How active are you within the school community? -- I doubt I'll get to be too active, living 28 miles from campus. :(

Breine
08-17-2009, 07:33 AM
I kinda wish I was going back to school - I kinda miss it. I think I will start next year, though, which means I'll be a university student. What I'll study, though, is still unknown.

Parker
08-17-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm not going to university until next year. I already went once but it sucked but I'm giving it another go.

Even tho I'm not in education I still spent ~£400 on books this year!! :nerd:

Heath
08-17-2009, 08:08 AM
When are you guys going back?

My term starts very late; 12th October, officially, I think. I'm helping out with some fresher's week stuff so I'll likely be back in my university city the week before. I should be working right up until then.

What year?

Will be starting my second.

Are you looking forward to going back?

Yes, I am. I'm looking forward to both my modules in the first term and I also can't wait to see my friends again.

How much do you spend on books?

For next year? I've only bought two which comes to about £25, though I'll have to buy more. Thanks to really good exam results, though, my Politics department are giving me £50 of book vouchers that will certainly come in handy.

How active are you within the school community?

Fairly active. I've been the ordinary officer on the JCRC of the college I belong to and may well run for secretary in the new elections. I'm also vice-chair of a political society. I enjoy getting involved, though I refuse to be one of those people who puts their society stuff before their degree.

Rodarian
08-17-2009, 04:05 PM
I'll tell ya something..By the time I graduate in four months... I would have spent over ten grand.....

SomethingBig
08-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Yikes, on what?

Meat Puppet
08-17-2009, 05:47 PM
hookers

Raistlin
08-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I just started at William & Mary Law School. I have spent... a fair amount on books. Law school texts are ridiculous, even used and bought online.

Rodarian
08-18-2009, 03:33 AM
Yikes, on what?

my thesis work.... I spent nearly that much on my mini thesis work a few months back...

Being an art student is very expensive and not to mention laborious T_T

Shlup
08-18-2009, 03:35 AM
Basically yes. I could have got away with only buying... three books throughout the whole time. But then I wouldn't have a nice row of academic books on my shelf :D

As soon as you try to move you'll be re-thinking that "nice" adjective. I gave all my old textbooks to my students so they could giggle at the anatomy pictures.

Rodarian
08-18-2009, 10:38 AM
hookers

XD..If only it was true....

Faris
08-18-2009, 03:48 PM
I just finished my second semester. Right now I'm waiting for my grades which should be out tomorrow. I start my third semester (so 3/6 of a single degree or 3/8 of a double degree, depends on what they allow me to do) in three weeks. I'm kinda looking forward to going back. After six straight months of school - I only had one week off between semester one and two - it feels weird not having some course work or test to study for.

I recently bought 4/5 of my new books and it totaled up to be close to $400 and I have to buy access to an online application. I'll end up paying close to $500 - $550 in the end just on books. Woo-woo

I'm somewhat involved with school community. I participate in the department heads meetings which is basically reviewing and making suggestions for our courses.

black orb
08-25-2009, 09:20 PM
>>> School was ok, i guess.. College sucked (a total waste of money)..

Raistlin
08-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Now that I can add it up, I ended up spending $700 on books. Jesus. Thankfully, almost $300 of that are books that will be continuously used for a mandatory legal skills class over the next two years (I bought them used online, but if I had better known that I would've bought them as-needed instead of all at once and maybe could've gotten away without one or two).

I suppose $400 isn't that bad for a semester (extrapolating to next semester), but I hope to be able to get that down to under $300.

rubah
08-25-2009, 10:59 PM
The first two days of school were gr8. I have three reading *(four?) assignments. Do not want to do work yet :|

I spent $324.88 on books this semester, my lowest yet. some of them are international versions, but I feel confident they'll work. It's been strange trying to use my summer school as a model for fall semester because it's not a simple matter of just scaling it up; there's so many small changes and they're kinda freaky. Like 'okay, there's 19000 people on campus' 'okay, the busses run 3x as often, but less predictably', 'okay, I won't spend 7 hours at school each day.'

Kirobaito
08-25-2009, 11:00 PM
My roommate spent $900 on books this semester. Good lord.