PDA

View Full Version : Amazing...

Italian
08-17-2009, 05:14 AM
I heard a few comments a while back somewhere on the internet that some people thought FFIX for being to childish. What do you guys think? I don't see much childish things in this game. I don't get it, I think this was the best Final Fantasy ever made. (I have only played 7-12 though excluding 11)

Edgar
08-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Because our 3 main characters (Zidane, Garnet, Vivi) looks like kids. The adults don't really look like adults. It's more of a chibi art direction, but the general impression of Final Fantasy to people is for it to be 'realistic' and 'dark', thanks to FFVII and FFVIII.

So when FFIX comes out with a more cute direction in both story and art, people tend to wave it off. If FFIX was renamed into something else, it might be better off in terms of general public critism, but FFIX, even with the "FF" at the front, is only a cult hit. Square might not make the sales it wants if it was renamed. They'd have to do alot of marketing for that. I guess they are just expecting the name "FF" to kick off their sales =/

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-17-2009, 07:03 AM
FFIX is thematically charming, whimsical, fun, and doesn't always take itself completely seriously. Certain people with certain insecurities call these things "childish"; this is their loss.

G13
08-17-2009, 07:56 AM
You have such a way with words Kawaii.

NeoCracker
08-17-2009, 08:00 AM
That he does.

J.Raven
08-17-2009, 11:23 AM
It is indeed their loss that they let this character design aspect color their opinion of FF9. They also fail to realize this was how it was generally designed in the Final Fantasy Series before FF7.

Marky Tee
08-17-2009, 11:58 AM
i agree
ff9 is amazing

sure some bits do seem a little childish or cartoony but some darker stuff also happens too
kuja actualy manages to destroy one planet and basicly conquer another through military might

which is a lot more than some of the more popular villians manage to do ie . sephiroth

trancekuja
08-17-2009, 12:45 PM
It's not childish at all. Maybe at first glimpse, but whoever spent more than 5 min playing the game realized it's deep and mature.

PS. is Kawaii a robot?

Crimson
08-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Because in this developing stupid society, anything that isnt 6ft tall and covered in dark attire is automatically childish.

But screw that, FFIX ftw.

Aerisfanatic
08-18-2009, 02:05 AM
I love this game. Most likely they find it childish based on appearance, so that's no real argument. So screw all those so called hardcore gamers and let them go back to their Halo hell.

Rostum
08-18-2009, 02:31 AM
FFIX is thematically charming, whimsical, fun, and doesn't always take itself completely seriously. Certain people with certain insecurities call these things "childish"; this is their loss.

Agreed.

PS. is Kawaii a robot?

This has been known for awhile now. :D

By the way, am I alone in not really associating super deformed (or as some say; chibi) designs with children? The designs in FFIX aren't even extreme enough to be even using this as an arguement against the game.

J.Raven
08-25-2009, 06:12 AM
The chibi aspect would be probably from stuff like Beatrix's hand being large enough to cover her face.

Crimson
08-25-2009, 09:55 AM
It's ironic that people say FFIX is childish yet it contains more deaths in a small time spans than just about any other FF.

Nobles and kids killed in Alexandria when the Prima Vista crashes at the start.

*2 hours later*

Black Mages killed on the cargo ship.

*2 hours later*

Tons of Burmecians slaughtered and STILL being killed.

*cue back to Zidane's group after Garnet scenario*

You know those little kids and their dad and the rat king dude and pretty much anyone who was left in Cleyra?

Yeah, dead.

*After Garnets rescue*

Lindblum attacked, hundreds killed by Atomos

Slothy
08-25-2009, 11:58 AM
but FFIX, even with the "FF" at the front, is only a cult hit.

I don't think a game with more than five million sales can be considered a cult hit. Especially when most everyone with any sense loves it.

Square might not make the sales it wants if it was renamed. They'd have to do alot of marketing for that. I guess they are just expecting the name "FF" to kick off their sales =/

It was meant to be a throwback to the stylings of earlier FF titles. Would be much of an homage to FF history if it were renamed.

But yeah, Kawaii explained it best.

Quindiana Jones
08-25-2009, 02:54 PM
I think it's childish. But in the same way that mindlessly running around is childish. And how eating sweets is childish. And how appreciating a good PS1 game with fantastic characters and side-quests, as well as very complicated and adult storylines and themes throughout made by Square Enix at the turn of the century is childish. It's good childish.

Crimson
08-25-2009, 02:59 PM
You just totally blew my mind Quin.

Quindiana Jones
08-25-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm just playing for a quote in NeoCrackers sig, to be honest.