PDA

View Full Version : good at the time...

Marky Tee
08-18-2009, 12:27 AM
anyone else feel that although they liked this game while playing it, afterwards it seemed so bland and crappy?

im still giving it a 10/10 but thats only cause i couldnt bear to give a final fantasy anything less

Wolf Kanno
08-18-2009, 01:28 AM
Not really, I actually feel III was ahead of its time and generally I can't put it down. I've been having a blast replaying it again even if the WiFi is against me.

Of anything, its probably made me look at the FFs in the last 10 years and think "what the hell happened?" in some cases as the game utilizes gameplay in such unique ways (Mini dungeons, using classes as sorta like puzzle pieces to solve parts of the game). Recent entries feel a bit formulaic. Its made me kinda feel disappointed with IV cause that game seems so lackluster now compared to its predecessor.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-18-2009, 02:00 AM
FFIII is incredibly detailed and beautiful for its time, and it remains one of the most lush 8-bit games ever. The plot and world design are just simple enough for me to find charm in each of their most minute details, as well.

Marky Tee
08-18-2009, 12:18 PM
i jus cant see it...

Elpizo
08-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Well, then that's your loss I'm afraid. :(
But Wolf and Kawaii are right and took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks guys.
Too bad you can't see the brilliance that is FF III. It really is one of the greatest entries in the series. Luckily, Japan realizes this and has it as its fourth fav FF, behind X, VII and IV.

I blame the fact that so little western gamers enjoy this one on the fact that it took almost 20 years for III to be released in english.

rubah
08-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I didn't play it until last summer, and just playing the NES version I was blown away.

hhr1dluv
08-20-2009, 10:09 PM
I liked III a lot more than I expected. More than V even. The job system is a lot of fun without being daunting.

ReloadPsi
08-21-2009, 11:32 AM
I think the NES version of this was like the fourth FF game I ever played and I instantly loved it. Too bad I only had a ROM of the incomplete fan-translation back then and didn't quite know where to look for the finished version :( We had a lot of laughs with Cid's wife though; the unfinished translation caused her gibberish NPC line to read "Urfyurfi!", which we never shut up about.

beema
08-25-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm about halfway through the DS remake and I found the whole damn thing to be bland and crappy. The characters are shallow and uninteresting, the quest is fairly homogeneous, the villain is just another random evil "just because" guy. The job system is pure crap. The soundtrack needs much more variation.

My girlfriend really likes it, but it's the first FF she's ever played... so nothing to compare it to! :p

Crimson
08-25-2009, 09:45 AM
I love it for being the first FF to actually kick my ass.

Raistlin
08-25-2009, 02:53 PM
I only recently played the DS remake, and I really liked it. Not a great game, but the gameplay was interesting enough to keep me engaged, and the job system was definitely ahead of its time (though still under FFV and FFT).

Elpizo
08-26-2009, 10:31 AM
the villain is just another random evil "just because" guy
How dare you insult one of the things that set FF III apart from I and II, storywise. Xande was the first developed villain in the series, and anybody who says that is not true is in denial. Or, if you mean Cloud of Darkness, that was not a villain, merely a neutral force of nature that did what it was supposed to do. Next time you play it, pay attention to what the bland and boring characters actually have to say. ;)

Crimson
08-26-2009, 10:52 AM
the villain is just another random evil "just because" guy
How dare you insult one of the things that set FF III apart from I and II, storywise. Xande was the first developed villain in the series, and anybody who says that is not true is in denial. Or, if you mean Cloud of Darkness, that was not a villain, merely a neutral force of nature that did what it was supposed to do. Next time you play it, pay attention to what the bland and boring characters actually have to say. ;)

I gotta agree with this, while I think CoD was a good final boss and great choice for Dissidia, she's as much as a villian in FFIII as Necron was in FFIX.

Dont get me wrong, I thought Xande sucked for a villian, but regardless, he WAS the main antagonist of FFIII.

Marky Tee
08-31-2009, 04:14 PM
i think that if they had somehow connected at least some of the bosses (goldar, hynne etc.) to each other and the Xande storyline it would have been a better story
jus seems like random stuff then the main story

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Medusa and Kraken both mention they're working for Zande (they're actually the first you hear of him, which is nice and ominous). But I kind of appreciate the fact that one guy isn't behind all the world's problems for once; each city or region has at least one local villain who just can't get along with others, and in the course of vanquishing them, the Four Valiant Youths gain strength and connections that become vital to their cause by the end of the game.

Heath
08-31-2009, 08:46 PM
I've only played the DS remake of III, but I'd definitely consider it one of my least favourite entries in the series. I liked it, but as Raistlin said, it's not a great game. I didn't have any problems with the story, it had some pretty interesting twists that I quite enjoyed. No way in hell did I see that world within a world thing coming.

rubah
08-31-2009, 08:58 PM
FF3 was the most recent FF I've played, and to be honest, I was blown away by how advanced it was. I loved it :) (compared to say, ff1, which I've never been able to finish xD)

Elpizo
09-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Zande is, directly or not, in fact responsile for the whole world's problems. He caused the unbalance between Light and Dark in his fear for death, causing the Darkness to cover the world. Nearly all villains (Djinn, Hein, Gutzco, Gigameth/Garuda...) have become twisted because they were swayed by the powers of Darkness. Powers that Zande unknowingly unleashed.

And like Kawaii Ryűkishi said, Medusa and Kraken were both working under Zande's orders, as was Titan, I believe.

arcanedude34
09-04-2009, 05:31 AM
I love it for being the first FF to actually kick my ass.

QFT but I'll specify that I love it for being the first REMAKE of a FF to kick my ass, instead of being watered down like the "Finest Fantasy for Advance" or whatever.

And FFIII is definitely one of the better games in the series. I give the first two games a lot of credit for story (they're more engaging than FFIV or FFVIII, at least >_>) but this one is probably the best of the NES bunch. FFI has a really deep plot for its time, and FFII's characters are amazing for its time, but it's FFIII's actual message about human mortality and fear of death that really stands out to me from the first three games.

black orb
09-20-2009, 03:54 AM
>>> Im playing this game seriously for the first time now and Im loving it..
FF2 story was more interesing but FF3 has lots of awesome stuff that the previous ones didnt have..

Fynn
09-21-2009, 12:23 PM
I played it twice, both times on the DS. After the first playthrough, I felt it was a waste of my time, but at least I beat all of the FFs at last. I recently wanted to play all the FFs in succession, though, and once I reached III, I was blown away. The battle system still annoys me, but at least less than the last time, however the story is just so complex after I and II... Besides all the stuff about morality, life and death, etc. that everyone seems to mention, I loved the world for what it was. I later played FFIV DS - which I always thought to actually be pretty dumb and ridiculous at times - and was again blown away by the depth the creators have given the game with basically just a few tweaks. Really, I think they should keep remaking FFs for the DS since the console seems to be meant for those games...

Back on topic, I don't consider FFIII to be one of the best FFs, but it was definitelly way ahead of its time, and still thought-provoking after so many years.

Omni-Odin
12-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I'd agree. I think the story is ok and the battle system is to FF standard, but I thought the job system wasn't. FF5 was a perfection of that. Even Tactics. I know this game was old, but I thought shifting through jobs got annoying.

Elpizo
12-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Still, the job system was revolutionary for its time, one has to give it that. Compared to the good-on-paper-but-bad-in-the-game stat system of FF II, the job system in III actually WORKED and provided the gameplay with great diversity (for its time). Of course V perfected it. It would be bad if it didn't, seeing as it was made later and on a more powerful console.