PDA

View Full Version : Finished Final Fantasy X. Ending not so epic...

Italian
08-19-2009, 04:16 AM
Just finished Final Fantasy X for the first time today. I was stuck on Braska's Final Aeon Jecht. I finally beat him today. But the battle with Yu Yevon as not epic at all. It was stupid and horrible. I hated it. I loved the whole game just that ending battle was stupid. Anyone else think that way?

I Took the Red Pill
08-19-2009, 07:12 AM
I pretty much just consider BFA the final boss in my head and pretty much disregard Yu-Yevon as having any significance but symbolic.

Formalhaut
08-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Well Yu Yevon is in a category of Final bosses I call the bosses you can't really lose to. The game does not expect you to lose, because in their eyes, the game is now over. Its like the post game, but you fight one last time in a battle which is one sided in your favour.

if you see what I mean.

On a side note, was'nt defeating all of your Aeonsheart wrenching?

seiferalmasy2
08-20-2009, 05:15 AM
Whilst one of the end bosses should have been much more difficult, the idea behind the very end boss being like he is, is all to do with the storyline itself. And cheer up, you still have dark aeon's and penance to beat ;) I absolutely loved the ending itself, not a crappy hollywood one :)

Trumpet Thief
08-20-2009, 05:37 AM
Like many already said, it was symbolic. The fight had to happen, but that doesn't mean that it had to be mind-wrenchingly hard. I like to relate it to the final fight in Xenosaga 2 between Rubedo and Albedo, where it was almost impossible to lose.

NeoCracker
08-20-2009, 07:19 AM
Like many already said, it was symbolic. The fight had to happen, but that doesn't mean that it had to be mind-wrenchingly hard. I like to relate it to the final fight in Xenosaga 2 between Rubedo and Albedo, where it was almost impossible to lose.

I would relate it to that fight, except the symbolism was done so much better, and I don't want to relate such a well done tale from a great series to a story as poorly put together as this.

But that aside, I guess it's a reasonable comparison. :p

Rostum
08-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Not the first time they've done this - i.e. Cloud vs. Sephiroth.

Marky Tee
08-20-2009, 11:15 AM
thats what i was thinking

Formalhaut
08-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Not the first time they've done this - i.e. Cloud vs. Sephiroth.

Great Example. just like that.

Anyway.

Trumpet Thief
08-20-2009, 08:30 PM

I would relate it to that fight, except the symbolism was done so much better, and I don't want to relate such a well done tale from a great series to a story as poorly put together as this.

But that aside, I guess it's a reasonable comparison. :p

Personally I thought FFX was extremely well done, but still behind Xenosaga. And I have to agree, the final fight finished the fued between Rubedo and Albedo in an awesome fashion.

It's a shame they had to let me down with Xenosaga 3 </3

BG-57
08-25-2009, 08:46 PM
The final boss was a bit of a letdown, but the bittersweet ending more than made up for that.

Kyros
09-15-2009, 07:36 AM
At least the final boss in this one had some significance while Necron was just a random stupid extra 5 mins of my time in FFIX =/

I Don't Need A Name
09-15-2009, 10:29 AM
I personally felt that the game finished before you get to BFA.
The whole ending, including the very easy bosses and the increadibly lame and un-emotional ending was just terrible.

Shattered Dreamer
09-15-2009, 10:01 PM
I really didn't enjoy the ending of FFX at all. The fact Tidus was technically an Aeon & disappeared seemingly forever leaving the love of life behind It really annoyed me

auronlu
09-16-2009, 03:54 AM
Shattered Dreamer: That was actually part of why I loved the ending of FFX the most. It was a non-standard, non-clichéd storybook ending, much like the end of LOTR, where the world is saved, but not for Frodo.

Have you played FFX-2? I suspect you might feel differently about the ending of FFX if you knew what happened later...

RoxasLeonhart
09-16-2009, 05:09 AM
yeah it was pretty bad but it leads up to a totally awesome squeal 10-2 is much better check it out

rubah
09-16-2009, 05:26 AM
At least you knew why you were fighting the little tick looking yu-yevon. That's more than can be said for some of the other FFs.

Shattered Dreamer
09-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Shattered Dreamer: That was actually part of why I loved the ending of FFX the most. It was a non-standard, non-clichéd storybook ending, much like the end of LOTR, where the world is saved, but not for Frodo.

Have you played FFX-2? I suspect you might feel differently about the ending of FFX if you knew what happened later...

Yeah I've finished FFX-2 & the ending does give more closure to the story. But this thread is about the FFX ending which sucked:tongue:

Fynn
09-17-2009, 09:34 AM

Yeah I've finished FFX-2 & the ending does give more closure to the story. But this thread is about the FFX ending which sucked:tongue:

I have to disagree with you and agree with most of the people posting in this thread.

Final Fantasy X had a great ending. Even though I liked IX's happy ending, I think X's bittersweet one was very original for an FF. It was nice and refreshing and it was the first video game ending during which I felt tears gather in my eyes. Even though the whole game was rather... mediocre, the ending was magnificent...

Which brings us to X-2. Don't get me wrong. I consider this game great... But only because of the gameplay. Pretty much every other element sucked. So did the ending. It just ruined everything Final Fantasy X established... Meh... Now this is sad...

Also, I liked the final battle, if only for the music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeMz9lHXzX0) (the piano version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRM1btJ8EbM&feature=PlayList&p=C7050557C2A8312B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=13) is just plain awesome).

Kyros
09-17-2009, 06:30 PM
I felt like if the ending to FFX were different then it would not have fit at all and therefore been worse. The entire storyline made you know that was going to happen long before it actually did, which was my only complaint really, but I wasnt sure Square would actually go through with it. At least they actually had the decency to do what they should have done 5 mins into IX by killing the main character.

Fynn
09-17-2009, 10:54 PM
I felt like if the ending to FFX were different then it would not have fit at all and therefore been worse. The entire storyline made you know that was going to happen long before it actually did, which was my only complaint really, but I wasnt sure Square would actually go through with it. At least they actually had the decency to do what they should have done 5 mins into IX by killing the main character.

You take that back! Zidane was awesome :mad2:

Kyros
09-18-2009, 07:41 AM

You take that back! Zidane was awesome :mad2:

Nope never I was hoping that vine at the end was going straight through his face. I actually felt let down when I saw he lived, which made me care even less for FFIX (somehow).

sir helix
09-19-2009, 10:51 PM
thats sacralidge........

the only true let down when it comes to final bosses, is cloud vs sephiroth. sure the battle could be easy but, all it let you do was push x or o twice, it should have just been one of ff7s great cine clips, and then yuffie and vince just friggen vanish only to by the grace of jehova reappear in AC... or you were like me and after seeing vince in AC you shouted Who the smurf is that?

[back on topic]
Zidane is by far the greatest FF hero to ever exist, c'mon hes a pervert and has a monkey tail, and boycotts the traditional (main party charecter must have long sword crap).

Fynn
09-20-2009, 10:30 AM
thats sacralidge........

the only true let down when it comes to final bosses, is cloud vs sephiroth. sure the battle could be easy but, all it let you do was push x or o twice, it should have just been one of ff7s great cine clips, and then yuffie and vince just friggen vanish only to by the grace of jehova reappear in AC... or you were like me and after seeing vince in AC you shouted Who the smurf is that?

[back on topic]
Zidane is by far the greatest FF hero to ever exist, c'mon hes a pervert and has a monkey tail, and boycotts the traditional (main party charecter must have long sword crap).

Plus, he's a breath of fresh air after Cloud and Squall's inner pain and anguish :rolleyes2

Kyros
09-20-2009, 10:34 PM
More like Tidus was a breath of fresh air after Zidane

Fynn
09-23-2009, 12:28 AM
Tidus was a whiny %^$#. I can't get the obnoxious "I WANT FOOD!" out of my head :barf:

Kyros
09-23-2009, 05:24 AM
Also, Zidane wasn't after just Cloud and Squall since FFT came out in between those 2 titles, and Ramza was pretty awesome himself. Tidus grew on me, and I liked him a lot more than stupid monkeyboy. Even though I saw it coming for like the last 3rd-4th of the story (just like how I found it completely obvious about Auron when he casually refused to go into the Farplane when you first got to it), I still didn't want the ending to be the way it was, but in FFIX I was praying for that tree to crush Zidane b/c graffiti on the tree woulda been the best use of that main chara ever. >:]

-kuri-
09-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Wow, you really hate Zidane, don't cha buddy?

I just finished the game today...and its the most depressing, bittersweet ending i've ever encountered in a game. A very good ending, nonetheless.

I've been hearing mixed feelings about X-2. Should I continue on and play it or just pretend it never exists?

Rantz
09-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Give it a chance, -kuri-. ;) I disliked it but that doesn't mean everybody will. It's impossible to tell what you'll think of it!

Heath
09-27-2009, 05:45 PM
The Yu Yevon battle wasn't amazing, though it did have good music. I quite liked that idea that you had to take on and defeat all the Aeons to remove them. Not difficult, but in terms of the overall story I quite liked it. Also nice as one last hurrah for the Aeons that have been with you through your adventure.

Heath
09-27-2009, 05:59 PM
The Yu Yevon battle wasn't amazing, though it did have good music. I quite liked that idea that you had to take on and defeat all the Aeons to remove them. Not difficult, but in terms of the overall story I quite liked it. Also nice as one last hurrah for the Aeons that have been with you through your adventure.

-kuri-
09-28-2009, 06:34 AM
Give it a chance, -kuri-. ;) I disliked it but that doesn't mean everybody will. It's impossible to tell what you'll think of it!

Haha perhaps. The story and the look of the game is not appealing to me...but i could give it a try. Why not? At the most, I'd only have a few days wasted on the game....or weeks.

Oh yeah, Heath reminded me of something. When i was fighing the aeons, I didn't realize that I got auto life for the battle so when Ixion used his overdrive on me, I almost tossed the controller and told the game to go to hell. >.<

Vice Nebulosa
09-29-2009, 05:04 AM
The Yu Yevon fight? Fully concurred with the thread originator. Anticlimactic junk. :roll2 The "Otherworld" battle is so designed to create the impression that it is "do or die"; that the chaos ends on the same note upon which it began (namely the violent riffs of "Otherworld"). If used, this arrangement would suggest a well-rounded plot construction that possesses things like stylistic parallels and (though this is rather a stretch) profound, hidden meanings. Like Tidus in general, the final battle butchers this potential right around the "embryo" state of things. :eep:

Following the fight with Jecht, it simply became a game for me; how long will the plot keep limping on? :lol: Auron's dramatic departure was about the only highlight, if memory serves.

Also, I liked the final battle, if only for the music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeMz9lHXzX0) (the piano version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRM1btJ8EbM&feature=PlayList&p=C7050557C2A8312B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=13) is just plain awesome).

Here we are again, Wizard. ;) Song blows and sucks simultaneously, which should give you some idea of the physics-defying godawful-ness the plunky little track epitomizes. :mad:

Fynn
09-29-2009, 10:54 PM

Here we are again, Wizard. ;) Song blows and sucks simultaneously, which should give you some idea of the physics-defying godawful-ness the plunky little track epitomizes. :mad:

You just showed what an ignorant fool you are. You simply cannot see good modern piano music when you see it. My twelve years of musical education tell me this is a masterpiece. End of story. Not another word from you now! ;)

Vice Nebulosa
09-30-2009, 02:01 AM
You just showed what an ignorant fool you are. You simply cannot see good modern piano music when you see it. My twelve years of musical education tell me this is a masterpiece. End of story. Not another word from you now!

The story is not "over" until your opponents are discredited and forced into obscurity and all potential threats among your supporters are killed.

And somehow I doubt that you command Stalin's guts. ;)

Intricate and off-the-wall though it may be, the song (and its dumb-ass setting :eep:) has nowhere near the dramatic thrust of the rearrangement of "Otherworld", and entirely screws any possibility of plot symmetry. Feel the wrath of Trotsky -- this time equipped with a helmet and a better retreat than Mexico! ^_^

Fynn
09-30-2009, 07:12 AM
I feel it contains a lot more emotion than 'Otherworld', although that is an awesome piece of music. Anyway, I don't like you being all "MY OPINION IS LAW!". I mean, sheeh, I like the music, you don't, but you don't have to tell me I'm wrong because you think it sucks :rolleyes2

Captain Maxx Power
09-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Tidus was a whiny %^$#. I can't get the obnoxious "I WANT FOOD!" out of my head :barf:

Read this[!] and proceed to shut mouth[/!]. (http://www.eyesonff.com/members/wiki/essay/tidusrebuttal)

Now cavort through the flowers with kittens and sparrows and enjoy the loveliness that is life.

Mirage
09-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Good points, max.

Vice Nebulosa
10-01-2009, 03:36 AM
I feel it contains a lot more emotion than 'Otherworld', although that is an awesome piece of music.

The guitar parts, yeah. Have to love when the song is used in contrast with Auron's taciturn presence in the opening. The vocalist, obviously, employs a method that most of us would hesitate to denote as "singing", but his influence is all but absent in-game. ^_^

Anyway, I don't like you being all "MY OPINION IS LAW!". I mean, sheeh, I like the music, you don't, but you don't have to tell me I'm wrong because you think it sucks :rolleyes2

As per usual, I have no idea whether you are being facetious or not. :eep: Assuming you are, I will state simply that you are wrong, and out of the benevolence of my spirit, I have undertaken the sizable task of purging your sin. ;) Your gratitude is not yet expected, but it will be required sooner or later.

Assuming you are not, then I will refer you to our past discussions on the subject of Uematsu vs. Mitsuda -- not only our numerous disagreements therein, but our tendency to mock one another regarding same. Granted, I got things going in this most recent bout with the whole "song sucks and blows simultaneously" thing, but your "ignorant fool" rejoinder seemed to indicate that you were on board, as well. ;) All in good fun, and I have repeated time without measure my belief that judgments regarding the quality of music are subjective and entirely individual. I am really not ragging on your taste in any decisive way; just anticipating our inevitable disagreement on an unresolvable issue and teasingly goading you thereto, is all.

EDIT:

Just read the Tidus General Rebuttal; interesting reading, Captain. It has been long enough since my one and only play-through that plot details like Tidus' supposed knowledge of his impending death are good and forgotten, but I went with it. I disliked the character, myself (Auron was about the only "intriguing" character by the end, and Seymour become only less interesting as time passed :roll2), but not necessarily for the reasons tackled in your essay. You do make a solid, well-reasoned case against the unthinking hatred granted Tidus by quite a number of fans, though.

Minus aesthetic stuff like the voice and character design, my major issues with the character emanated from his overall naiveté -- the way the plot was contrived to set him up as the starkest example of optimistic idealism in a world mostly populated by grimmer people and realities, and have his simple little mind be a source of inspiration for others.

Overall (to disagree with your general thesis) I found Tidus to be far too normal to be respectable. His hatred of his father, and his unthinking (and from what I remember unexamined) compulsion to assist him in spite of it, because that is our culture's moral expectation of a son. His childish feud with Seymour, fueled more by infatuated jealousy than any higher opposition (he hates Seymour without the compassion you attribute to him, primarily because he screwed with Tidus' little romance). His ability to "get by" in the plot without seeking any particular knowledge; he has "high ideals", and supposedly that is enough to see him past his trials. All of these indicate an average character, endeavoring to find goodness in a bizarre predicament and return home to normalcy, operating only on his pre-existing understanding of things to do it. If Tidus were ever called upon to think or grow beyond his roles of being "homesick", "lovesick", and "forever the optimist", he would probably not remain the same man. <_< If, for instance, Tidus was pitted against an antagonist who questioned and dissected his identity and simple motives (like Sephiroth to Cloud), Tidus, as we know him, would probably crumble. He has no particular reasons for his actions, minus having a love-hate relationship with life that predisposes him to act on passionate instinct. As it was, Seymour was far too in love with his misery and bared chest to pay any attention to Tidus, but still. :roll2

I found myself liking Tidus' soliloquies (what with the more refined voice, and the suggestion of deep reflection), but little else, I'm afraid. And that FMV with Yuna and Tidus frolicking beneath the water was just embarrassing to witness. :eep:

Fynn
10-01-2009, 10:48 AM
You all seem to misunderstand - I like Tidus! It's just that I like Zidane a lot better. I know Tidus has matured a lot during the course of Final Fantasy X. It's just disagreed with Kyros, because I think Zidane is a much better character, nowhere near as annoying as Tidus at certain points.

Kyros
10-02-2009, 07:30 AM
You all seem to misunderstand - I like Tidus! It's just that I like Zidane a lot better. I know Tidus has matured a lot during the course of Final Fantasy X. It's just disagreed with Kiros, because I think Zidane is a much better character, nowhere near as annoying as Tidus at certain points.

See check that out, even a FFVIII character agrees that Tidus is better than Zidane so why couldnt they have gotten rid of the right one? :)

Fynn
10-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Damn you :mad2:

malkyah
10-02-2009, 08:50 AM
There was nothing wrong with the ending, I thought it was quite recreational in all due respect. I didn't see anything that would have it lose credability for being a good ending.

ANGRYWOLF
01-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Poll of the Day - GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=3728)

I guess some people liked it.\\;)

Skyblade
01-18-2010, 04:14 PM
One thing I don't get about the ending: Why did they have to put down the Aeons? I never understood this. They summon an Aeon, Yu Yevon possesses it and starts to turn it into a new Sin, using it to shield himself while he continues the summoning of Dream Zanarkand. But, if they hadn't summoned the Aeons, he would have had nowhere to hide. They could have skipped straight to the last battle with Yu Yevon.

I understand if they are doing it to let the Fayth rest (although, really guys, if you're not willing to be used as a conduit for kickass magical creatures for all of time, don't sign up for the duty in the first place! We shouldn't have to lose the Aeons just because you guys get sick of it), but it seemed to actually be part of their plan to stop Yu Yevon, and from that point of view, it makes no sense at all.

BG-57
01-18-2010, 09:09 PM
How do optional Fayth figure in this? If the party doesn't acquire them, does it affect the endgame?

Darth Cid
01-19-2010, 02:53 PM
I wanted Yu Yevon to have a second form personally, it didn't feel like a challenge to me at all.

Skyblade
01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
I wanted Yu Yevon to have a second form personally, it didn't feel like a challenge to me at all.

It wasn't supposed to be. The challenge was meant to be Braska's Final Aeon, Yu Yevon and the Aeons were just cleaning up the loose plot ends. That's why you can't die during them (you have Auto-Life on all your characters the whole time).

Rad Bromance
01-19-2010, 06:59 PM
How do optional Fayth figure in this? If the party doesn't acquire them, does it affect the endgame?
Any and all Aeons you get, you have to kill during the Yu Yevon battle. Aside of that, it doesn't affect the ending.

Rye
02-04-2010, 08:40 AM
I agree with Red Pill's post - I think the final boss in my head was Braska's Final Aeon.

It does jar with me though a little. I thought Yu-Yevon was much too easy in comparison to Kuja being a pretty tough boss, and then Necron being all but impossible to just barely beat.

qwertysaur
02-04-2010, 08:55 AM
I agree with Red Pill's post - I think the final boss in my head was Braska's Final Aeon.

It does jar with me though a little. I thought Yu-Yevon was much too easy in comparison to Kuja being a pretty tough boss, and then Necron being all but impossible to just barely beat.First spoiler boss is the final boss of the game, second spoiler boss is more or a plot ending interactive movie. :p