PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever study some sort of fighting style?

KentaRawr!
08-19-2009, 03:40 PM
I've been taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu lately, so I became curious what fighting styles other EoFFers might be studying. :p

If you don't study a fighting style, then which one would you like to study, if any?

Madame Adequate
08-19-2009, 04:11 PM
I did Tae Kwon Do classes for a bit. T'was pretty fun but then my buddy Barry Manilow injured himself in one and if he wasn't going, I wasn't going :colbert:

That injury still occasionally crops up to this day for him :(

Rantz
08-19-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd like to truly master the bitch slapping technique one day.

Breine
08-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Nope.

I'd like to one day go to a secluded temple in China and learn the ways of kung fu, though :cool:

SomethingBig
08-19-2009, 04:38 PM
I took tae kwon do classes for a while as a kid. Recently, I've done eskrima and aikido. My dream is to eventually take wing chun and/or jeet kun do.

Namelessfengir
08-19-2009, 04:44 PM
ive been following the principles of jeet kun do but i dont really have the body form to pull off the heavy stuff

isn't brazillian justu made up of mostly bitch-slapping?? makes a kind of sense for a country with a high percentage of trannies.....

KentaRawr!
08-19-2009, 04:49 PM
ive been following the principles of jeet kun do but i dont really have the body form to pull off the heavy stuff

isn't brazillian justu made up of mostly bitch-slapping?? makes a kind of sense for a country with a high percentage of trannies.....

It's made up of grappling techniques, you dip:bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Namelessfengir
08-19-2009, 05:06 PM
didn't you ever see that movie with the rock and seann william scott..... gets his ass kicked by getting slapped around

KentaRawr!
08-19-2009, 05:16 PM
didn't you ever see that movie with the rock and seann william scott..... gets his ass kicked by getting slapped around

Movies are movies. :p

SomethingBig
08-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Brazillian jiu jitsu's what you see in the UFC. I've thought about taking it because take downs and grapples are extremely effective and possibly the most efficient way of ending a one-on-one street fight, but I like my strikes too much to give them up!

Faris
08-19-2009, 05:30 PM
I did Tae Kwon Do for a bit, but just wasn't my thing in the end. I still have the belt somewhere.

Tavrobel
08-19-2009, 05:32 PM
isn't brazillian justu made up of mostly bitch-slapping??

No, Brazilian Jiujitsu is ground fighting. Submissions, bars, take-downs, grappling. There's no strikes in it.

Bitch-slapping is a whole different, prestigiously named form of fighting. It's called bitch-slapping.

Psychotic
08-19-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm thinking of taking up either Judo or some form of kickboxing. The only time I am ever going to be in a fight is if I am jumped by chavs, and these seem the best ways of defending myself. BJJ is alright and all, but I can hardly put a kimura on a guy while three others are kicking my face in.

Also someone should make a UFC/MMA thread in The Lounge!

black orb
08-19-2009, 05:52 PM
>>> None.. but I would like to learn some kendo..

Rebellious Eagle
08-19-2009, 06:24 PM
I got my black belt in taekwondo when I was 9. I quit martial arts a few years ago, though. :<

Freya
08-19-2009, 06:42 PM
I did Tae Kwon Do at college for a PE credit :P

Bunny
08-19-2009, 06:57 PM
I spent several years studying Jujitsu, Akido, Judo, Dambe and Kendo. I also studied Muay Thai for a couple of months but didn't enjoy it as much.

rubah
08-19-2009, 07:01 PM
i took three whole tae kwon do lessons (they were free)

SomethingBig
08-19-2009, 07:05 PM
I think anyone who grew up during the reign of Power Rangers and loved the show took up a few tae kwon do lessons.

theundeadhero
08-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Army fighting is based heavily on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu , or I should say Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. I know it.

leader of mortals
08-19-2009, 08:23 PM
I don't know any martial arts, and I doubt that I will later learn any, although I would greatly like to.

Some that I would like to learn are on this list. (http://www.cracked.com/article_16595_6-great-martial-arts-killing-man-with-your-bare-hands.html)

Breine
08-19-2009, 08:35 PM
I think anyone who grew up during the reign of Power Rangers and loved the show took up a few tae kwon do lessons.

Nah, we just ran around and made up our own much cooler fighting styles xD

Raistlin
08-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Army fighting is based heavily on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu...

I have not practiced it, but the Jiu-Jitsu experts I see in MMA are extremely impressive, so I would pick that.

SomethingBig
08-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Some that I would like to learn are on this list. (http://www.cracked.com/article_16595_6-great-martial-arts-killing-man-with-your-bare-hands.html)

I'm not gonna lie. I got giddy seeing Eskrima at number 2 on that list. :D With the people I learned with, the motto was that you weren't officially part of the group until you got wounded while sparring.

Jess
08-19-2009, 09:11 PM
I did karate when I was really young, til I was about 10. I was purple belt when I quit.

I then did kickboxing for a little while, I loved that. :jess:

Madame Adequate
08-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Also were I to learn a martial art I would probably go for something a bit less well-known like Savate.

LunarWeaver
08-19-2009, 10:35 PM
I am too clumsy to even bother. That and scared of all things physical.

You know, I always wondered if that guy ever learned the ways of the ninja (http://forums.eyesonff.com/eyes-each-other/88405-shinobi-iri-art-shadow-walk.html).

Crimson
08-19-2009, 10:38 PM
I took Goyararu for 4 months in 2007, now i'm studying Jeet Kune Do.

kikimm
08-20-2009, 12:16 AM
I did tae kwon do for awhile, but I quit when they made me spar >=( I didn't want to learn how to fight, I just thought it was a nice change from the usual methods of exercising, i.e. running around in a circle for half an hour.

Momiji
08-20-2009, 12:26 AM
I am too clumsy to even bother. That and scared of all things physical.

You know, I always wondered if that guy ever learned the ways of the ninja (http://forums.eyesonff.com/eyes-each-other/88405-shinobi-iri-art-shadow-walk.html).

I bet he did, and he's standing behind you right now, ready to lecture you about ninjutsu, the art of the shinobi (shin00bie?) from the depths of his enigmatic mind.

Maybe then, and only then, you'll be able to use his shinobi-iri as well.

As for myself, I was in some sort of karate class when I was a little kid. I got bored with it and left when I was like... 8 though. xD

Rocket Edge
08-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Did karate as a kid. Since then it's just been the basic saturday night practice of bar-brawling.

Marshall Banana
08-20-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm currently studying Mondatime Nunchaku.

qwertysaur
08-20-2009, 12:47 AM
I have a second black in Tae Kwon Do, but stopped a year ago. I also dabbled a bit in Yang style Tai Chi Chuan, Hapkido and Kendo. I want to start a new style, it's great exersize and stress releif. I'll likely do Tai Chi Chuan because I prefer the soft style it employs, or Hapkido because it is has a very broad electric style. I didn't really like Kendo but I only had 2 classes in it so I need more exposure to it if I am to see if I really don't like the style. :p

Namelessfengir
08-20-2009, 01:13 AM
As for myself, I was in some sort of karate class when I was a little kid. I got bored with it and left when I was like... 8 though. xD

thats like me and church....

i was also really big on highlander i could probably beat people with a stick

Dante WolfWood
08-20-2009, 01:58 AM
although I have never taken any form of martial arts, I would love to take the Marine Corps. Martial Arts Class. those dudes can do some crazy stuff.

My brother was graduating from paris island and he showed me some videos of tournaments they held there by those who excelled in the Martial Arts program. I wouldn't fight some of those guys with an army unless I had to, its ridiculous. no one should be capable of some of the stuff they do.

Meat Puppet
08-20-2009, 05:48 AM
I did Tae Kwon Do for a little while. The only thing I can remember are those freaky toe-knuckles that the instructor had.

TurkSlayer
08-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Tae Kwon Do. Apparently so did everyone else.

I also do some Kendo, but thats "Independent study", which basically means I wave a sword around and hope I'm doing it right.

Laddy
08-21-2009, 03:23 AM
I want to study Capoeira.

Though when you say, 'I study Brazilian Dance Fighting,' no one will take you seriously.

Peegee
08-21-2009, 03:59 AM
I'm a black belt in desu ken

Aerith's Knight
08-21-2009, 11:40 AM
judo, taikwando, karate and another couple for no more than a year.

..I got bored easily as a kid. I've pretty much done every sport available for me at the time.

The Space Pope
08-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Jew-Jitsu
http://profcartoon.com/sport/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sofer-1.jpg

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm thinking of taking up either Judo or some form of kickboxing. The only time I am ever going to be in a fight is if I am jumped by chavs, and these seem the best ways of defending myself. BJJ is alright and all, but I can hardly put a kimura on a guy while three others are kicking my face in.

Psy you noob. All you have to do is take the kimura one step further and you've dislocated the bastards arm. And there's so many shortcuts for the moves in BJJ, it's ridiculous.

Anyway, I take BJJ and MMA. Though our teacher is fairly fluid. It's more of a self-defence class than anything else, so he shows us quick moves that will help us in a "GIMMEYAWALLET!" situation. However, some of the guys do it professional, so we get to see what that all looks like too. It's good fun and it keeps me fit. We also practice Cider Jitsu and Rave Jitsu (our own inventions). I'm going to uni in Manchester soon, so I plan on seeing what's available there. I know a few guys who do Wing Chun, and it's something I want a piece of. They all say it's more of a support art than a combat art. It improves your focus, reflexes etc. which, when combined with some super awesome ninja moves, can end up being pretty brutal. Mmm tasty.

Bastian
08-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Just like everyone else: Tae kwan do for a year.
Then I took a stage combat course one summer. Does that count? :P

aquatius
08-24-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm one of the few people who's never done any classes or proper study, and I've never really felt the want to. I did try some Kendo in Japan, and I must say, it was interesting, but to get the real experience, it kind of has to be done in Japan in Japanese.