PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild of Evangelion

Trumpet Thief
08-20-2009, 03:30 AM
To all the NGE fans, how do you guys feel about "Rebuild", which is seen by many as another way to cash in on the success of Evangelion. My apologies if a thread of this has already been made.

Momiji
08-20-2009, 03:54 AM
Dunno yet! I just finished watching Evangelion + End of Evangelion for the first time just a couple of days ago, and I'm planning on watching Eva 1.11 eventually.

My personal thoughts on them sort of revolve around 'if it's as good as it was the first time around, who cares if they're cashing in?'. I'm excited to watch it, but I have to set the time aside to do so.

Oh, and welcome back, TT.

Trumpet Thief
08-20-2009, 04:23 AM
Yeah, I just watched the first of the four films, and I actually found myself enjoying it better than the first 5/6ish? episodes of Eva. But from what I read about the 2nd movie, it is definetly going to go it's own way in comparison to the series. So I might end up enjoying it more than the original (mainly because End of Evangelion was one hell of a let down for me personally), but if some of my most cherished moments of Evangelion are gone, then I'll be one sad camper.

Speaking of which, what did you think about End of Evangelion? I actually liked the TV ending better...

Momiji
08-20-2009, 04:31 AM
Really? End of Evangelion freaking blew my mind. Then again, the TV ending did as well... but End of Eva was the biggest mindsmurf I've ever seen, and it left me completely stunned.

I guess I'm too much of a newbie to the series to be critical of it or cynical about it. I just really, really liked all of it. :p

Wolf Kanno
08-20-2009, 04:31 AM
I prefer the TV ending and basically tell people the movies are Anno's personal "middle finger" to the whiny fans who didn't get the original ending. Whether that's true or not is beside the point since Anno has so many weird rumors about him anyway and its fun messing with people....

On topic, I haven't seen them yet but I am a bit curious cause I love Evangelion, despite being so overexposed in the last 14 years. Damn, has it really been that long? Anyway... I'll have to check them out. I'm also waiting for the original manga adaption to finally be finished.

Trumpet Thief
08-20-2009, 04:41 AM
Really? End of Evangelion freaking blew my mind. Then again, the TV ending did as well... but End of Eva was the biggest mindsmurf I've ever seen, and it left me completely stunned.

I guess I'm too much of a newbie to the series to be critical of it or cynical about it. I just really, really liked all of it. :p

Yes, End of Eva was a mindsmurf haha, but not in a good way IMO. It, to me, crossed the line and made some of my most beloved characters reach absolute lows, Shinji being a prime example.. and that was only in the first minute of the movie.

And despite Shinji rejecting Instrumentality in the movie, I found him to be stronger in the TV show where he was finally able to get over the "Hedgehog's dilemma" and be able to feel accepted by everyone.

I prefer the TV ending and basically tell people the movies are Anno's personal "middle finger" to the whiny fans who didn't get the original ending. Whether that's true or not is beside the point since Anno has so many weird rumors about him anyway and its fun messing with people....

On topic, I haven't seen them yet but I am a bit curious cause I love Evangelion, despite being so overexposed in the last 14 years. Damn, has it really been that long? Anyway... I'll have to check them out. I'm also waiting for the original manga adaption to finally be finished.

I prefered the TV Ending as well, and by the way, I love the way that the manga adaption is heading. Some of it actually turned out to be a lot darker than the TV show, which granted, is quite a feat.

And yes, definetly check out the films. The first one was awesome, and I have a feeling that I'll get blown away whenever I get to see the second one, regardless of them adding a new character :Eek:

Shlup
08-20-2009, 04:59 AM
I haven't seen this series in probably ten years, but at the time I was absolutely in love with it. I guess I'll have to re-watch it before I can even begin to be apart of this conversation, but I tend to agree with the 'if it's good, let the people earn their extra money' philosophy. I don't mind people milking things when they've earned it by creating something awesome.

Momiji
08-20-2009, 05:45 AM

Yes, End of Eva was a mindsmurf haha, but not in a good way IMO. It, to me, crossed the line and made some of my most beloved characters reach absolute lows, Shinji being a prime example.. and that was only in the first minute of the movie.

And despite Shinji rejecting Instrumentality in the movie, I found him to be stronger in the TV show where he was finally able to get over the "Hedgehog's dilemma" and be able to feel accepted by everyone.

I personally liked seeing Asuka rise up from her catatonic depressive state to go back to being a total badass before she gets absolutely mauled. She's my favorite character in the series, and I didn't like how the TV kind of left you hanging about her condition. As for Shinji... well, while I did enjoy the TV ending, I had always seen Shinji as someone who would eternally suffer from the 'Hedgehog's Dilemma', so seeing him so abruptly get over that was something I found to be sort of annoying.

I enjoyed the TV ending for its abstract execution, but End of Eva just had that absolutely insane imagery that left me simultaneously stunned and freaked out, something no anime has ever really done to me. (Example: Giant Rei-Lilith forming female genitalia on her forehead with an eyeball inside it, and Shinji (in a red cross) pierces the eyeball; I think I repeated 'what the smurf' for at least 5 minutes after that scene)

Trumpet Thief
08-20-2009, 05:48 AM

I personally liked seeing Asuka rise up from her catatonic depressive state to go back to being a total badass before she gets absolutely mauled. She's my favorite character in the series, and I didn't like how the TV kind of left you hanging about her condition. As for Shinji... well, while I did enjoy the TV ending, I had always seen Shinji as someone who would eternally suffer from the 'Hedgehog's Dilemma', so seeing him so abruptly get over that was something I found to be sort of annoying.

I enjoyed the TV ending for its abstract execution, but End of Eva just had that absolutely insane imagery that left me simultaneously stunned and freaked out, something no anime has ever really done to me. (Example: Giant Rei-Lilith forming female genitalia on her forehead with an eyeball inside it, and Shinji (in a red cross) pierces the eyeball; I think I repeated 'what the smurf' for at least 5 minutes after that scene)

You know something that I never hear people complain about concerning EOE? WHAT THE EFF HAPPENED TO REI MAN?! In a nutshell she died a bloody death, and that left me feeling hollow and depressed after. And then after, Shinji sees her for a split second and then she's gone, just like the beginning of the show, which btw was an awesome gesture, but still! She just... died! AHH

Momiji
08-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Well, it is explained that the effects of Instrumentality aren't permanent, as both Rei and Yui mention that people can restore themselves depending on the strength of their hearts. Perhaps Rei chose not to restore herself?

Trumpet Thief
08-20-2009, 05:59 AM
Well that is just really depressing then haha. But of course, if it's the ending of Evangelion, something has to be sad, right?

Momiji
08-20-2009, 06:02 AM
Personally, I don't believe either ending of Evangelion could be considered 'happy endings'.

Trumpet Thief
08-20-2009, 06:03 AM
Personally, I don't believe either ending of Evangelion could be considered 'happy endings'.

Haha I could describe the original TV ending as a "twisted happy ending". It was like... too much happiness to the point that it was forced? Making it depressing in that way haha.

Momiji
08-20-2009, 06:10 AM
Well, I saw the TV ending as messed up and unfavorable because of the happiness-- I mean yeah, hi, it's cool that Shinji got over his 'Hedgehog's Dilemma', but what about the world and reality they left behind? What happened to everyone else?

I enjoyed the abstract execution of the TV series, but I see it as a negative ending because nothing was resolved in reality; it seems that through Instrumentality, people became able to manipulate their own realities, shutting out all things they consider unfavorable-- which could be seen as a good thing I suppose, but I just saw it as incredibly bittersweet.

NeoCracker
08-20-2009, 06:45 AM
I don't really see why the endings must be exclusive honestly.

The first time watching this is how I interpreted both The TV and Movie endings.

The TV series ending was what was happening in Shinji's Mind as Instrumentality started. As all minds began converging, he was seeing all those he know's minds. The TV series showed, in a way the movie didn't, how Shinji began to accept himself and, in an odd sense, began opening up to others in the way the Movie didn't.

The Movie ending, however, was the reality of what was going on outside of Shinji's Mind. It gave the filan revelation to the motivations of Selene (I think that was their name) And Ikari, as the final stages of everyones plans were unfolding.

Both end in the same way, Shinji Rejecting the Instrumentality. Don't see how either ending contradicts the others actually. :p

Trumpet Thief
08-20-2009, 06:51 AM
I understand where you're coming from, but I always thought that the TV ending showed Shinji accepting Instrumentality. That's the point where it ended at, with Shinji finally feeling comfortable with everyone, and realizing that coming together wasn't so bad after all. All that mindrape stuff was him going through Instrumentality, so yes, it did give a picture into his mind, but I thought his final choice differed in the movie.

NeoCracker
08-20-2009, 07:00 AM
I understand where you're coming from, but I always thought that the TV ending showed Shinji accepting Instrumentality. That's the point where it ended at, with Shinji finally feeling comfortable with everyone, and realizing that coming together wasn't so bad after all. All that mindrape stuff was him going through Instrumentality, so yes, it did give a picture into his mind, but I thought his final choice differed in the movie.

I always looked at the TV ending him accepting who he was. All the people he was talking to within his mind were telling him of his faults, and how he refused to realize that others did appriciate him, were he believed they all hated him, and gave him no choice in the matter.

Though the last scene shows him finally accepting that part of his thinking to be false. With that realization, I don't think he would have still chosen Instrumentality.

Edit: And where the hell is Trowa!? :Mad2:

Trumpet Thief
08-20-2009, 07:03 AM
You know, I never actually thought of it that way. They all could have very well been congratulating him on NOT choosing Instrumentality. Kudos!

And I figured that with the Split Personality gimmick, people wouldn't take me too seriously. But being my favorite anime character ever, all my "split personality" badboys will be in a signature that I'll make up soon enough :cool:

NeoCracker
08-20-2009, 07:05 AM
They will still be missed though. :(

JKTrix
08-20-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm kind of in class right now, but I watched EoE with Momiji just a few days ago. And then immediately after EoE was done, I had him watch the first minute of Rebuild.

There are some strong theories about what the true nature of 'Rebuild' is. I have seen the 2nd Rebuild movie as well so I can agree with some of the theories.

There is a doujin manga series called 'Re Take' which is basically a sequel to the End of Evangelion. It is pretty darn good. Only thing is that it is absolutely 18+. There's sex and stuff. But the storyline that that follows is really interesting.

LunarWeaver
08-24-2009, 10:51 PM
I got around to watching this with some help of Momiji (Momiji-CHAN even). I really liked it. I don't remember the series too well anymore... It seemed like a hand full of episodes with higher productions values. I really loved it, and I hate anime these days!

Now I keep listening to Komm,susser Tod!

Shinji remains my favorite character. That's right, out of everyone else, all of them, Shinji is my favorite. Suck it ;/

Ouch!
08-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Rebuild of Evangelion is a necessity for the series, I think. The reason the anime is so convoluted and neither endings (Episodes 25 and 26) and End of Evangelion make any good amount of sense is because the whole scope of the series was never realized in the original anime. There has been a significant amount of information released via interviews which actually explain the origin of the Angels and humans as well. These details actually make End of Evangelion make perfect sense.

Anyone who honestly thinks Rebuild of Evangelion is merely a cash-in isn't giving the movies a fair chance. Aside from being significantly different from the series (major changes start happening at the end of the first movie), this time around, they might actually have the opportunity to fit in everything they'd intended from the beginning.

Trumpet Thief
08-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Rebuild of Evangelion is a necessity for the series, I think. The reason the anime is so convoluted and neither endings (Episodes 25 and 26) and End of Evangelion make any good amount of sense is because the whole scope of the series was never realized in the original anime. There has been a significant amount of information released via interviews which actually explain the origin of the Angels and humans as well. These details actually make End of Evangelion make perfect sense.

Anyone who honestly thinks Rebuild of Evangelion is merely a cash-in isn't giving the movies a fair chance. Aside from being significantly different from the series (major changes start happening at the end of the first movie), this time around, they might actually have the opportunity to fit in everything they'd intended from the beginning.

Agreed. Good to know that no one in this forum is looking at Rebuild as a "cash-in". Elsewhere, the opinions are quite the opposite.

JKTrix
08-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Rebuild is a cash-in for sure, but it's not 'merely' so. I can agree with that.

Also in case I was too ambiguous before, Rebuild is a direct sequel to End of Evangelion.

Trumpet Thief
08-25-2009, 12:38 AM
Rebuild is a cash-in for sure, but it's not 'merely' so. I can agree with that.

Also in case I was too ambiguous before, Rebuild is a direct sequel to End of Evangelion.

I think it's mainly Hideako showing what he wanted Evangelion to truly be (He was happy with the TV Ending, but there were problems because of budget cutbacks etc.).

And I've heard a lot of theories about that, and it is really interesting and very plausible. In 2.0, there are actually a lot of hints that support Rebuild being a sequel to EOE. I have yet to see the movie though, this is just from what I've read.

blackmage_nuke
08-25-2009, 01:31 AM
While I did prefer the end of evangelion movie to the last two episodes of the series (i watch the giant naked glowing Rei destroying the world scene atleast once every week) I prefered the ending itself of the series to that of end of evangelion. I just got this warm feelin of completion with the whole room breaks apart and congratulations scene.

Anyway the rebuild of Evangelion doesnt really catch my interest. Right now Im only really interested in seeing the completion of the Manga and how they decide to end things. Overall I liked the Manga series much more than the anime series as it had alot less angsty teenage sexual tension. Also the fact that Toji dies makes a far stronger impact with the following scene where it flashes to class rep's appartment and she says "I hope Toji enjoys his lunch tommorow"

Infact the only thing I prefer in the anime over the manga is that Kensuke gets abit more notice in the anime. And the fact that the anime is actually finished. Otherwise all the extra angel battles and what not werent very enjoyable for me.

Trumpet Thief
08-25-2009, 04:07 AM
While I did prefer the end of evangelion movie to the last two episodes of the series (i watch the giant naked glowing Rei destroying the world scene atleast once every week) I prefered the ending itself of the series to that of end of evangelion. I just got this warm feelin of completion with the whole room breaks apart and congratulations scene.

Anyway the rebuild of Evangelion doesnt really catch my interest. Right now Im only really interested in seeing the completion of the Manga and how they decide to end things. Overall I liked the Manga series much more than the anime series as it had alot less angsty teenage sexual tension. Also the fact that Toji dies makes a far stronger impact with the following scene where it flashes to class rep's appartment and she says "I hope Toji enjoys his lunch tommorow"

Infact the only thing I prefer in the anime over the manga is that Kensuke gets abit more notice in the anime. And the fact that the anime is actually finished. Otherwise all the extra angel battles and what not werent very enjoyable for me.

Toji should have died in the anime in my opinion, as heartbreaking as it is. It's not like he did much when he got back anyways.

Momiji
08-25-2009, 04:37 AM

Toji should have died in the anime in my opinion, as heartbreaking as it is. It's not like he did much when he got back anyways.

Agreed. It would have made the scene where Toji's entry plug gets crushed a bit more believable. I mean, just how many people expected Toji to die from that? I sure did.

Trumpet Thief
08-25-2009, 04:43 AM

Agreed. It would have made the scene where Toji's entry plug gets crushed a bit more believable. I mean, just how many people expected Toji to die from that? I sure did.

I definetly did. And by seeing him at the end of the episode I actually thought he was dead. Shinji's piercing scream at the end sold it for me. But alas, it turned out to be naught. :(

JKTrix
08-25-2009, 05:34 AM
Wait until you see Rebuild 2.0...

Christmas
03-24-2022, 04:59 AM
Finished the Rebuild. Much better than the original TV ending (which i catch no ball) and the end of Evangelion (which was so sad). This one is better not just the ending but the character and story development. Shinji and his dad are still shit which is consistent, but the glasses girl really spices things up in a way.

Yay to a happier ending! Yay!! :kaoclove:

The last one can use more action sequences though.:bigsmile:

Mr Gashtacular
03-24-2022, 07:39 AM
I'm glad that actually used glasses girl for something. I was a bit miffed by what they did with Rei, but I recently re-watched Rebuild and IDK... it worked out in the end?

I am overall very satisfied with Rebuild, even if it took almost 20 years. I was really worried it would not meet even base expectations but its really good and when I finished the last episode i genuinely felt a wave of relief... it was over lmao it will never be over

Del Murder
03-24-2022, 10:03 PM
I actually watched them both back to back not too long ago. I definitely preferred Rebuild. It was somewhat less confusing and ended in a more satisfactory way. Still hella confusing though.

Christmas
03-25-2022, 02:36 AM
If you did not read the backstory about the seed of life...etc, that is where the confusion starts. I can never understand it as a kid.