PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Slim is official. $299/EUR299

Croyles
08-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Sony Announces Slim PS3 - It Lives This September! - Gamescom 09 - Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5339968/sony-announces-slim-ps3-+-it-lives-this-september)

A lot of people on boards think it looks ugly, I think it looks kinda cool, not TOO keen on the perfect square shape and all, but still cool.
Also, I never cared about the look of the 360 which was always hideous, its whats underneath that counts :), and for 299, same price as Pro, less than elite, $50 more than Wii.

Around 35% smaller and lighter than the phat.
2 USB ports
Wi-Fi
Ethernet
everything else that the current PS3's have.
Matt finish (even though it looked cool, that means no more dust collecting gloss)
More quiet, produces less power and heat.
PS1 emulation.
No PS2 emulation.
Pushable buttons, no more electromagnetic ones (whatever l0l)

One thing I have to say though is that, this emphasises the ridiculousness of the PSP Go price even more, which is at $250.

krissy
08-20-2009, 07:38 PM
now im waiting for the old ones to get cheaper second hand

less noise and heat huh

ps1 emulation still in there or gone too?

Shoeberto
08-20-2009, 07:48 PM
PS1 emulation is totally software afaik, so it shouldn't be gone.

I still like the look of my PS3 Phat, though I'm slightly miffed I paid retail for it. I guess getting the target bundle did produce ~$100 in savings, though :)

JKTrix
08-20-2009, 07:55 PM
I hope this makes the system much more successful in Japan, so that they make more cool games for Japanese systems that I can import. Next Gen Super Robot Wars plz, hurry up.

No mention of PS2 emulation.

Here's your 'mention': not gonna happen (http://kotaku.com/5340337/sony-explain-why-the-ps3-slim-has-no-backwards-compatibility).

Necronopticous
08-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Lord Playstation the Third (http://www.castle-vidcons.com/2009/08/19/comic-87-pretender-to-the-throne/)

Croyles
08-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I hope this makes the system much more successful in Japan, so that they make more cool games for Japanese systems that I can import. Next Gen Super Robot Wars plz, hurry up.

No mention of PS2 emulation.

Here's your 'mention': not gonna happen (http://kotaku.com/5340337/sony-explain-why-the-ps3-slim-has-no-backwards-compatibility).

I wasnt saying it would, i wasnt expecting it. I just worded it like that for everyone else's sake :)

I got a launch 60gb anyway so I got BC.
Oh and yes PS1 emulation works of course.

McLovin'
08-20-2009, 09:48 PM
It's a pretty cheap PS3...smurf how it looks.

Bolivar
08-20-2009, 10:08 PM
They also took out "Install Other OS" (install operating systems like linux, Yellow Dog officially supported, as a separate bootable partition) and an ethernet plug.

Most people wouldn't bother with another OS, and most give up after trying it, since Sony's firmware blocks access to the graphics card, so it isn't realiable for 16-bit emulation and is impractical for anything above that. Seeing that the function is being removed proves that this ill will never be remedied, which is a shame for me, but probably no more than the 15 other people who tried it.

Personally I always liked how the PS3 has both ethernet and wi-fi whereas the 360 and Wii only have one option. However, it strikes me as much more convenient to have Wi-Fi on a gaming system since having a close cable modem (or moving a cable modem) or hub isn't the most practical way of doing things. Of course, you might not have wi fi or dependable wi-fi in your area. But routers aren't that expensive anymore (just got a great netgear for 35), so i would have to say wi-fi is still the way to go.

Regarding Linux in a larger frame, I'm just disappointed how Sony has cut little and little each time out of the system due to the general public bitching about how costly the system was. Originally it had: 1) PS2 emulation, 2) 4 USB slots, 3) Three card readers (SD, CF, Memory Stick), 4) Install Other OS.

^ Combined with Blu Ray, it really made the system stand out among the competition. But because of the adversity to the price, they had to cut it a little more each time to make it more comparable and competitive with current systems. Those were all great features that differentiated the product more than we know, with everlasting potential due to firmware updates.

I'm a gamer, and not a business student (although I did minor in economics) - I could care less how Sony corp. does as a business, but I do like having a great hardware package. I still have a 60GB, so I shouldn't complain, but the older features are negligible now because current models have dropped them.

I like the look and feel of the ps3 slim, but all I'm really hoping for is that it shuts up all the "industry gamer" news phenomenon that's plagued and diluted game discussion over the last 3-4 years. Hopefully we won't have to hear business analysts and ignorant game journalists use economics as a reason to bash or (ideally) praise video games and consoles anymore. No one gave a smurf what the Nintendo 64's year-over-year growth was in 1998, and no one should give a smurf what it is now.

With that out of the way, I highly recommend the PS3, but would suggest getting the 80GB models at $299 new now, since they have ethernet and Install Other OS (although you probably will never use it).

Croyles
08-20-2009, 10:43 PM
wait, the slim doesnt have ethernet? i swear it did...

JKTrix
08-20-2009, 10:45 PM
It does.

Croyles
08-20-2009, 10:59 PM
oh...

then i probably misunderstood what Bolivar meant

JKTrix
08-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Definitely a misunderstanding somewhere :P

As far as all the 'business' talk surrounding the games industry, frankly I doubt it's going to change. People didn't care about it back in '98 because they didn't have access to it. And the primary source of any video game news and discussion was magazines and face-to-face talking. Now with the overabundance of information on the internet, everyone can see pretty much whatever they want.

The game companies themselves love to reveal business information just because it does get into the 'news' and gets people talking about it. It's like free marketing without having to actually do anything. I think a more annoying byproduct of this are 'countdown' websites and the announcement of announcements.

tebian
08-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Just in case you have not seen that exact stats on this thing. Personally I will keep my big old first gen that plays all my games since long ago...

Keep your new box Sony if it don't play my PS1 games still, the logo is ugly besides.

Besides my ps3 is a great protable heater in the winter .. :P

Product Outline: PlayStation®3 (CECH-2000)
Product name: PlayStation®3
Product code: CECH-2000 (Charcoal Black)
CPU: Cell Broadband Engine™
GPU: RSX®
Audio output: LPCM 7.1ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC.
Memory: 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
Hard disk: 2.5” Serial ATA 120GB *1
Inputs / Outputs *2 Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0): 2
Networking: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) × 1; IEEE 802.11 b/g; Bluetooth® 2.0 (EDR)
Controller: Wireless Controller (Bluetooth®)
AV output Resolution: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i (for PAL 576p, 576i)
AV output HDMI OUT connector *3: 1
AV output AV MULTI OUT connector: 1
AV output Digital out (optical) connector: 1
BD/DVD/CD drive (read only) Maximum read rate: BD × 2 (BD-ROM); DVD × 8 (DVD-ROM); CD × 24 (CD-ROM)
Power: AC 220 – 240, 50/60Hz *4
Power consumption: Approx. 250W
External dimensions (excluding maximum projecting part): Approx. 290 × 65 × 290 mm (width × height × length)
Mass: Approx. 3.2kg
Included *5: PlayStation®3 system × 1; Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®3) × 1; AC power cord × 1; AV cable × 1; USB cable × 1
*1. Hard disk capacity calculated using base 10 mathematics (1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes). System software versions 1.10 and later calculate capacity using binary mathematics (1 GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes), which will display lower capacity and free space. A portion of hard disk capacity is reserved for system administration, which varies depending upon system software version, and is not available for use.
*2. Usability of all connected devices is not guaranteed.
*3. "Deep Colour" and "x.v.Colour (xvYCC)" defined by HDMI ver.1.3a are supported.
*4. Power changes depending on countries or regions.
*5. For certain regions, Euro-AV cable will be included.
Note: This product is not compatible with PlayStation 2 games.

oh yea, I guess we wont be putting another OS on our ps3's anymore, as if any would screw with a 400 buck machine like that...

Removal of Install Other OS feature
The new PS3 system will focus on delivering games and other entertainment content, and users will not be able to install other Operating Systems to the new PS3 system.

Dreddz
08-21-2009, 12:21 AM
I thought it was pretty funny when it was confirmed that the PS3 slim would in fact look like those early leaked photos and videos. I was almost positive those early leaked photos and videos were fake. In my opinion the slim PS3 looks cheap and not anywhere near as sexy as the original black behemoth. Lacks the glossy finish which had me weak at the knees for the original. I keep getting a cheap VCR look from the new design.

It is quite a technical feat though. The fact that they managed to shrink the size of the PS3 considerably and still not have a power brick outside is quite impressive. I'm even more surprised they are cramming 120GB's into the thing, its awesome that they are doing so but I think 80GB would have been sufficient.

Still, for $299/£215 the PS3 is one heck of a deal. Sony should be fine for the next couple of years, especially with GT5 and FFXIII which will skyrocket them in Europe and Japan.

Crimson
08-21-2009, 12:51 AM
HA! This thing is going to be an epic fail, removing the ability to install Linux is one thing but condemning it to Wi-Fi is where it will hit rock bottom.

Think i'll stick to my OBESE PS3 kthx.

JKTrix
08-21-2009, 01:49 AM
I'm not sure if that was supposed to be a joke, but just to make it clear--the PS3 Slim DOES have an ethernet port.

Croyles
08-21-2009, 01:56 AM
AAAAAAAAAANNNNND we're back to doom and gloom again :)

Bolivar
08-21-2009, 02:16 AM
Definitely a misunderstanding somewhere :P

As far as all the 'business' talk surrounding the games industry, frankly I doubt it's going to change. People didn't care about it back in '98 because they didn't have access to it. And the primary source of any video game news and discussion was magazines and face-to-face talking. Now with the overabundance of information on the internet, everyone can see pretty much whatever they want.

The game companies themselves love to reveal business information just because it does get into the 'news' and gets people talking about it. It's like free marketing without having to actually do anything. I think a more annoying byproduct of this are 'countdown' websites and the announcement of announcements.

I'm glad I was mistaken about ethernet, I guess there's no point in getting the phat ones cheap now, unless of course you just like the look better and can live with 40GB's less HD space (i'd say every gig counts though after owning one for 1 and a half years).

I agree the internet gaming blog culture has increased the industry talk, but sales figures we around back in '98, just no magazine paid to get them. There had to have been a conscious decision by one gaming website to subscribe to NPD numbers for all of this to start. Personally, I think it began because of just how lucrative the gaming industry is today, relative to anything it's ever been. I remember in 06/07 I think, that while the movie and music industries were stagnating, gaming was showing incredible growth. I think Halo 3 and GTA IV selling 9-10 million copies kinda solidified it. I don't expect it to go away soon, I'm just doing a little wishful thinking, because it really disgusts me just how many people on the internet sound like they're pretending to be marketing graduates in the way they praise and deride sectors of gaming.

Back on topic I think it's great this is coming with a new firmware update, 3.0. The motion-enabled themes have a lot of potential, especially b/c most themes are free and there's a large custom theme development community on the internet. I also like being able to see unread messages, that's a big thing that's been missing.

Croyles
08-21-2009, 02:58 PM
I actually AM a marketing graduate l0l, but I try to avoid talking about console business most of the time. Its not even a course I greatly enjoyed towards the end, probably why I only just passed and am doing something else now :)

I know what you mean, it does get annoying when people talk about console business, though i might have been guilty of it once or twice.

Dignified Pauper
08-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm super excited. While they removed a bunch of features, I never cared about BC because I have a working PS2. That said, I want a PS3 for the next gen console aspect. While I hope they come out with a firmware up date for PS2 Emulation, I doubt they will. The whole point is to get people to buy more PS3 games so they can start making better royalties.

Carl the Llama
09-17-2009, 02:05 AM
I personally don't see what the big deal is with BC, sure you have an extra box under the TV but the "It has to many wires" excuse doesn't fly with me, its only 1 extra cable seeing as you can plug your PS3 aerial into your PS2 all you need is the plug.

As for the control not being wireless, personally I prefer wired controllers as my PS3 pad frequently gets lost amid my room of mess, the wire (to which I have a fantastic extension cable which only cost me a meer 2.49) is a life saver cause all I have to do is find a bit of the cable and BAM I have my controller, coupled with the fact I like my rumble lol.

Slothy
09-17-2009, 11:40 AM
all I have to do is find a bit of the cable and BAM I have my controller, coupled with the fact I like my rumble lol.

You know PS3 controllers have rumble now right? They have for like two years now. And I don't want to even think about how messy a room has to be to lose a controller. I can honestly say that's a problem I've never had.

Depression Moon
09-17-2009, 01:30 PM
It's cheaper, but a lot has been cut making it the most inferior version yet. No backwards compatibility at all, got rid of the Install other OS, strictly confined to Wifi which is terrible for me since I can only catch a signal every three weeks and it lasts from about 20min-2hrs only and even my ethernet connection hasn't worked in months, that can't catch a signal either. The only good thing about it is it's hard drive of 120GB. I just won't recommend it to anyone.

I heard the stupidest thing on X-Play a couple of weeks ago Blair Herter said "Who cares that it doesn't have backwards compatibility?"

"People who don't have working PS2s that's who" That would've been my reply to him.

Croyles
09-17-2009, 04:31 PM
It's cheaper, but a lot has been cut making it the most inferior version yet. No backwards compatibility at all, got rid of the Install other OS, strictly confined to Wifi which is terrible for me since I can only catch a signal every three weeks and it lasts from about 20min-2hrs only and even my ethernet connection hasn't worked in months, that can't catch a signal either. The only good thing about it is it's hard drive of 120GB. I just won't recommend it to anyone.

I heard the stupidest thing on X-Play a couple of weeks ago Blair Herter said "Who cares that it doesn't have backwards compatibility?"

"People who don't have working PS2s that's who" That would've been my reply to him.

BC has been taken out of the PS3 years ago. Strictly Wi-Fi was something someone misunderstood. It has ethernet. Install other OS was something hardly anyone did.
So yeah, the only thing thats different is that you cant install Linux, lol.

:)

Slothy
09-17-2009, 05:33 PM
I can't understand why anyone would want to install Linux on it anyway. You can't choose how much hard drive space to allocate to it and the PS3 firmware locks out the RSX so you can't access the graphics card which essentially killed any chance of a Linux homebrew market really developing.I mean really, if you want Linux that badly install it on a PC. Everyone here obviously has one of those and they don't come with stupid limitations on Linux use.

Bolivar
09-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I can't understand why anyone would want to install Linux on it anyway. You can't choose how much hard drive space to allocate to it and the PS3 firmware locks out the RSX so you can't access the graphics card which essentially killed any chance of a Linux homebrew market really developing.I mean really, if you want Linux that badly install it on a PC. Everyone here obviously has one of those and they don't come with stupid limitations on Linux use.

Yeah, I was one of those people holding out hope that Sony would unlock the RSX chip... looks like this is the nail in the coffin.

And from personal experience, YES, linux is pretty much useless on the ps3 except for maybe the web browser and other small stuff like that. Actually, it's pretty nice for that stuff, but other than that forget it.

Carl the Llama
09-18-2009, 01:21 AM
all I have to do is find a bit of the cable and BAM I have my controller, coupled with the fact I like my rumble lol.

You know PS3 controllers have rumble now right? They have for like two years now. And I don't want to even think about how messy a room has to be to lose a controller. I can honestly say that's a problem I've never had.

It actually doesn't need to be that messy, the PS3 pad is incredibly easy to lose when you have lots of stuff* in your room, coupled with the fact that I live with my brother who comes in my room regularly to play my PS3/2.

* by stuff I mean over 350 books my PC, TV, PS2/3 AC unit, stereo, warderobe, 2 bedside tables, loads of Dragon ornaments and a double bed lol take into the mix the copius amounts of DVD's and games I have equates into a very very cluttered room.

Depression Moon
09-21-2009, 01:45 PM

BC has been taken out of the PS3 years ago. Strictly Wi-Fi was something someone misunderstood. It has ethernet. Install other OS was something hardly anyone did.

I had just got a new one this year and it has BC just PS1 BC so it wasn't completely taken out years ago.

Croyles
09-21-2009, 03:04 PM

I had just got a new one this year and it has BC just PS1 BC so it wasn't completely taken out years ago.

Lol ok you misunderstood the thread a little.
PS3 has always had and always will have PS1 compatability.
What everyone has been talking about for years is the PS2 compatability, which was phased out when the first 60gb models were phased out, which was pretty much a couple of months after release.

This is another one of those instances where the media has been flinging out :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty information, so its no wonder some people dont know this. :)
I guess i'll edit the first post :)

I heard the stupidest thing on X-Play a couple of weeks ago"

Ah I think I found the problem l0l. X-Play is entertaining but they know pretty much NOTHING about computer games and their consoles.