PDA

View Full Version : The Other Characters Made FFVII

Forsaken Lover
08-20-2009, 08:57 PM
To some gamers and the cash hungry execs at Squeenix, Cloud and Sephiroth and everything revolving around their characters are what matters. That's why pretty much every sequel has had something to do with them.

I do not agree, however. One of the good things about 7 was how it didn't star just one or two characters but a whole cast. Every last party member had their own subplot, their own story we could learn about and bring to a resolution.

So do ou agree? Do you find the plots of the other party members more intriguing than that of te main character? If so, which character's story do you like the most?

I for one think Barret and Dyne was the best in the game.

Melissaur
08-20-2009, 09:24 PM
I really liked Red's story. It was sad but and good one none the less.

Trumpet Thief
08-20-2009, 11:40 PM
The supporting characters in a Final Fantasy are usually the most important thing to me. No main character (with the exception of Terra/Locke from FFVI and Zidane from FFIX) has been able to completely capture my imagination, so I always have to look at the sidekicks.

One of the good things about 7 was how it didn't star just one or two characters but a whole cast. Every last party member had their own subplot, their own story we could learn about and bring to a resolution.

While that is true, most Final Fantasies did (I'm not gonna speak about the ones before IV having not played them). I found some of the supporting characters to be enjoyable (Red XIII, Barret), but Aerith and Vincent seemed pretty bland.

But when talking about just FFVII, then definetly. The supporting characters pretty much made the game for me, along with the overall gameplay. Cloud was an alright protagonist, but all the Sephiroth hype ruined him for me. Definetly one of my least favorite final bosses of all time.

Crimson
08-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Cid was the main character of FFVII, but he was too busy being awesome to appear in the beginning.

Dante WolfWood
08-21-2009, 01:11 AM
I really liked Red's story. It was sad but and good one none the less.

was one of the first games where I had a tearjerker when the truth is revealed to him about his dad at cosmo canyon...was so awesome!

Even though Vincent was bland, his sup-plot was very interesting, plus he was a cool character. I guess SE didnt think about putting too much in him since he was an optional character.

Ya, I have to agree, even though cloud isnt my favorite main character of the FF series (hell, he might be last), FF7 to me, had the best line up of Playable characters out of them all.

The Turk
08-24-2009, 11:16 PM
To me it's Rufus Shinra who really makes the game special as it means the game is not just good vs evil. Sephiroth wants to destroy the world, Cloud wants to save it, Rufus wants to rule it. Therefore while they try and stop Cloud and co in their attempts to save the planet, they sure as hell don't want to see it destroyed either.

Then you have the Turks who will do whatever they are told to do..... unless they are on holiday.

I actually don't like Red that much to be honest. He's a good character, but isn't really linked to the plot that much. Yuffie isn't either but she has bundles of character. As for Vincent, making him a secret character was a mistake imo. His backstory is fascinating as is his links with Hojo and Sephiroth. But due to the fact he was a secret character his story never really got finished the way it should have- mainly with him killing Hojo with the limit breaks he got thanks to Hojo's experiments.

Speaking of Hojo, what a character? In my opinion that guy is the true villain of the game as unlike Sephiroth who was born different and turned evil Hojo was born normal human being that chose to be evil. He is also the centerpiece of the game as he has links to all the main characters- Cloud, Sephiroth, Aeris, Vincent, Red etc and ties them all together.

Tifa & Aeris were great heroines too and while Cid's story wasn't the greatest he was a fun guy. Throw in a desperate pimp, a gay bodybuilder and Dyne- the deepest 5 minute character I can ever recall and you can see that VII's cast is awesome.

Cait Sith still sucks as a character however.

Heath
08-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Rufus was a good character and definitely one of my favourites from FFVII, so I agree with the last post on that front. I disagree about Cait Sith though. I really liked the role he played in the story because it showed, first of all, that the Shinra weren't a single-entity of evil like Hojo, Scarlet and Heideggar but that there were good guys within the monolith too.

I'll agree on Red XIII and Barret. I think the disc one scenes at the Cave of Gi and the desert are both very touching in their own ways.

Cid was the first character that sprung to my mind, however. I liked his development and his backstory about how he had this dream he'd always wanted to fulfil, but he stopped it at the very last moment to save his friend who would be willingly sacrificed otherwise.

Zyphus
08-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Cid was the main character of FFVII, but he was too busy being awesome to appear in the beginning.

Sit your ass down in that chair and drink your goddamn TEA!

I loved Cid so much :D he made me smile when he went off on one of his rants.

Big D
08-28-2009, 02:26 PM
I like how each main character in FFVII got their time in the spotlight, and some meaningful character development. Some not as much as others, but they all have their moments and we get to explore their origins and motivations. The thing that let me down about every FF I played afterward (and since FFVII was my first, that's quite a lot of games) is the fact that so many characters are treated as little more than set-dressing. Amarant in IX, Lulu in X, to name but two - I'd have preferred it if the supporting characters got as much scrutiny as their counterparts in VII.

seiferalmasy2
08-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I thought Cait was way too unrealistic, even for the fantasy itself. And probably just an excuse to sell merhandise.

We are modding him out though in favour of a new storyline I am creating for a character named skoll. (who is working for reeve)

Jaffer
08-28-2009, 10:26 PM
What story would that be seifer? Link?

Anyway i agree that Rufus and Shinra made the story special. Now every FF had final and then a true villain but FFVII handled it the best if you ask me. Sephiroth was revealed relativly early and Shinra a stayed around to put up just as good a fight as you do. Evn after Sephiroth has a achieved ultimate power in the form of Meteor and tricked the Weapons in doing his battles for him Rufus was at least effective as Cloud in answering these threats.

seiferalmasy2
08-28-2009, 11:19 PM
The basics are here:

http://break-off.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=805

The model is being redesigned. I chose Raul Julia as what I would like it to look like. esp from this photo:

http://www.mensflair.com/ns/media/halloween-gomez-addams.jpg

I am working on story tomorrow, I already have a main plot outline, it won't be too hard making it work with FF7

Aerisfanatic
08-29-2009, 03:12 AM
It all goes back to the story really, one of the well known aspects of this game. When replaying games I find myself occasionally skimming through the dialogue boxes, especially when it come to side stories and sub-plots. But in FF7 I never skip the boxes, the stories/sub-plots are all great in my opinion, well, maybe except for Yuffie's. I found her sub-plot kind of meh, that and having my materia stolen was kind of annoying.

Melissaur
08-29-2009, 04:07 PM
I still love how no one seems to like Yuffie! Or like once every 1000 Final Fantasy someone does. When I first played FF7 i used her a lot, actually like the first few time. But after a while I started to forget I even had her. I always hated having to roam around looking for her and then having to say the right things in order to get her in your party.

Big D
08-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I like Yuffie's character. Her personal storyline is neat, and she injects a bit of humour and cheekiness to the party. Her 'date' with Cloud is hilariously cute too.

The Turk
08-30-2009, 05:09 PM
I'd say minus Cloud Yuffie is the best character in the game fighting wise. As for her character while she wasn't really involved in the main plot- why she stayed around to defeat Sephiroth never addressed other than the fact she wanted Cloud's materia- she was a great character. I think people either remember the part in Wutai where she steals your materia or the fact she's young and call her annoying without much reason really.

I don't like Cait Sith because I just don't think it makes any sense at all. So it's meant to be a talking cat on a robot moggle right? Why doesn't that seem strange to anybody? About Red XIII they are all like "OMG, IT SPEAKS!" but when face to face with Cait, nobody batters an eye lid. Also why did Reeves use a robot cat..... to control a robot moggle anyway? I'd have much preferred it if Cait Sith looked human but was actually an android.

Lastly how did he manage to get away using Cait without anybody else in Shinra noticing? I understand at first it was part of Shinra's plot to use Cait as a spy, but that plan should have finished at the Temple of the Ancients. How he was allowed to continue to use it without them knowing was remarkable. At one point Reeves manages to have two simultaneous conversations with Scarlet & Heidnegger and Cloud and co. And then after he is arrested by Shinra he STILL manages to control Cait! Crazy.

Raistlin
08-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah, Yuffie gets a bad rap by some people. She gets called annoying for stealing your materia, but that was probably the most thorough and entertaining sidequests in the game.