PDA

View Full Version : Where You Live

The Space Pope
08-25-2009, 01:21 AM
For me, I used to love my hometown (and where I currently live) but over the past few years it's really gone to :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Boston used to have great music and be really laid back, and now it's filled with uptight douchebags, hipsters, and tourists who feel the need to take a picture of a McDonalds while standing in the middle of the sidewalk in awe, because like, they're so hard to come by or something.

The Space Pope has lived in many places over the years, and I gotta say, there's better out there. The west coast is more laid back, but most of the people out there are left wing nutjobs and they think having a liberal arts degree in basket weaving or whatever is "progressive". But, people out there are generally friendlier than in New England, but at the same time a bit more...fake I guess would be a fitting term.

So, my questions for you are:

What do you like about where you live?
What not?
What aspects from other places you've lived in/visited would you like to see in your city?

I Took the Red Pill
08-25-2009, 01:34 AM
hmm not much besides friends and family. my hometown is boring and uneventful. I cannot wait to return to college this Friday.

What not?
see "boring and uneventful"

What aspects from other places you've lived in/visited would you like to see in your city?
everything

Rye
08-25-2009, 01:36 AM
Everyone I met in New England from New England turned out to be a backstabber, or a total dbag, not to mention the fact that there is nothing to do in Rhode Island, so I can't say I liked my time in Rhode Island one bit. Sorry, New England!

I love New York. I live on Long Island right now. Long Island is pretty nice. It's weird though, because it's very class-segregated. One mile stretch of a town can be gorgeous and filthy rich, but as soon as you reach the next town, you can be afraid to drive there even during the day. It's odd. Also, the people can be really annoying. Awful housewives with no lives who just sit around. But overall, it's cool.

I prefer Manhattan, though.

I was born in Queens, NY. Most of Queens is a :bou::bou::bou::bou:hole now, so I don't like it there when I visit, but the people are really cool and friendly.

Bunny
08-25-2009, 01:36 AM
Absolutely nothing. I'm moving as soon as I am able.
What not?
Everything.
More :bou::bou::bou::bou: to do.

The Space Pope
08-25-2009, 01:40 AM
Everyone I met in New England from New England turned out to be a backstabber, or a total dbag

Really? I've spent a good portion of my life here and I've come across more straight up people than anywhere else. But yeah, Rhode Island sucks, I used to live in Providence for a short period.

WHY DO I KEEP TYPING USED TO AS USE DOT UGH

Raistlin
08-25-2009, 01:45 AM

Area-wise, I like that it's a small town, as I hate city life. Regarding my place, it's a pretty nice apartment, and it has a dishwasher which makes me feel spoiled.

What not?

Humidity. Too far to easily walk to classes.

Lack of humidity.

Rye
08-25-2009, 01:45 AM
Aside from Thayer Street and right across from the Providence Place Mall, Providence has to be one of the most ghetto places I've ever been to, except for maybe the Bronx.

Shiny
08-25-2009, 01:50 AM
The fact they I'm so close to restaurants like Charlie Brown, Friendlys, Bennihanna, TGI Fridays, Red Lobster, Hibachi Steakhouse, 3532546 Panera Breads, and many other places for good eats. Also, we have our own amusement park in my town. It's relatively small compared to other large amusement parks like Sesame Place, but it was amazing fun when I was little tot. The arcade they have is still pretty cool. Not to mention many clothing stores (besides crap like Walmart and Target) are also close in proximity so I don't have to go to NYC to find some stuff. I also have to mention that it's a pretty diverse town -- though mostly Italian.

What not?
The town's downtown is pretty boring compared to the neighboring town. It's full of pizza places too. There's a Dominos right next to the Pizza Hut for christ sakes unless they moved it. It's also full of Guidos i.e. the orange species who scare me.

A movie theater and Thai restaurants!

The Space Pope
08-25-2009, 02:01 AM
Aside from Thayer Street and right across from the Providence Place Mall, Providence has to be one of the most ghetto places I've ever been to, except for maybe the Bronx.
I lived in the ghetto there ;_;
You can't walk a block without tripping over a crackpipe amirite?

And I got a lifetime ban from the mall. =/

Rye
08-25-2009, 02:04 AM
I was driving in Providence with someone who lives there once, in this really ghetto area, and there was a pizza delivery car that had a sign that was like "THIS CAR NEVER CARRIES MORE THAN 50 DOLLARS AT A TIME" or something implying frequent car hold up robberies, and I lean over and say "Oh my god..." and I high-tailed it out of that place so fast I'm sure I left skid marks.

How did you manage that? xD

The Space Pope
08-25-2009, 02:08 AM
I was driving in Providence with someone who lives there once, in this really ghetto area, and there was a pizza delivery car that had a sign that was like "THIS CAR NEVER CARRIES MORE THAN 50 DOLLARS AT A TIME" or something implying frequent car hold up robberies, and I lean over and say "Oh my god..." and I high-tailed it out of that place so fast I'm sure I left skid marks.

Yeah I lived in West Providence, so I know exactly what you mean. In fact the reason why I lived there wasn't exactly to go around handing out lollipops and sunshine, but I suppose I shouldn't prattle on as to the exact whys ;) But really it wasn't all that bad.
Was short lived though, I ended up moving to Orlando FL which was approximately 43785492375 times worse.

Oh, and I got banned because some guy grabbed my friend's ass so I threw him off the second floor.

Seraphic
08-25-2009, 02:08 AM
Everything is generally close together so I don't have to drive very far. I'm very much a city-minded person so I'm grateful for city life in Miami,Fl. I've always appreciated the diversity of cultures you can come across just by sitting in a public place.

What not?
It's always ridiculously hot outside and humid to boot, so I'm constantly melting.

Definitely a change in the weather. If it was at least 60 degrees all the time, I'd be forever thankful

rubah
08-25-2009, 02:15 AM
Fayetteville is funky :D bike trails, farmers market, crazy hippies

What not?
it's in the middle of a heavily rural part of the state. It shows.

What aspects from other places you've lived in/visited would you like to see in your city? there's talk about a light rail system for NWA :O that would be so awesome <3

Rye
08-25-2009, 02:19 AM

Yeah I lived in West Providence, so I know exactly what you mean. In fact the reason why I lived there wasn't exactly to go around handing out I cried aloud with mirth and merrimentlipops and sunshine, but I suppose I shouldn't prattle on as to the exact whys ;) But really it wasn't all that bad.
Was short lived though, I ended up moving to Orlando FL which was approximately 43785492375 times worse.

Oh, and I got banned because some guy grabbed my friend's ass so I threw him off the second floor.

Oh :bou::bou::bou::bou:! That's a really big fall. xDDD

The Space Pope
08-25-2009, 02:23 AM
Yeah, at least I didn't go to jail for it though.

He deserved it :colbert:

Breine
08-25-2009, 09:55 AM
I live in a small town with around 6000 people living in it. Therefore it's very familiar, there's lots of nature and there are corn/crop fields literally only 1 minute away from my house. In that way it's very romantic and beautiful, but nothing really happens around here. I want to live in a bigger town with more culture and such.

Good thing Denmark is small, though, since no matter where you live you're still gonna be in close proximity to bigger cities and other stuff.

Crimson
08-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Absolutely Nothing.

What not?
Everything.

Less emphasis on crap like RnB and Football and chavy soaps being worshipped as gods (Eastenders and Hollyoaks, i'm looking at YOU), but that wont happen because England iis ruled by this garbage.

xXsarahXx
08-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Exeter is really nice, nice houses, nice people generally and the shopping here is fab!

What not?
Weather sucks and crazy people like to do crazy things sometimes (someone let a nail bomb off in a cafe) and a lot of people here are really snobby.

What aspects from other places you've lived in/visited would you like to see in your city? Only lived in Plymouth or London, dont want ANY of their attributes in my city thanks.

Unbreakable Will
08-25-2009, 01:58 PM
I like small country places now, seeing as I spent 17 years in a large city. It's quieter and the people are generally friendly.

What not?
The fact that there is a whole hell of a lot more lawn to mow o.o

More things to do, and smaller lawns lol

Loony BoB
08-25-2009, 02:05 PM
It's a tourist city. This means that there is a large number of cultures, there are so many things to do during tourist season that you'll never in your life find yourself lacking. It's really pretty for a European city. Edinburgh Castle, Princes Street Gardens, etc. make Princes Street the most gorgeous main street I've ever seen in my life. The girls aren't bad. ;) The odd decent hill to walk around/up for when you want to. Incredibly good public transport.

What not?
The lack of things to do outdoors when meeting up with friends (outside of tourist season in particular). The lack of sunshine hours. Neds and chavs. Road works.

Less of the things I mentioned that I don't like about the city.

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I live in a village, it's very nice really: in the country but only 15 minutes from Glasgow; surrounded by fields and nice walks; it's not that busy; it has a Spar; and my best friend lives about 500 metres away.

The main reason I don't like where I live is accessibility. The bus here (to Glasgow) runs once an hour between 0630-2230 hours and takes half an hour, or more, to get into town. You can make the same journey in a car in under 15 minutes. Add to the fact that it's £4.60 return (you can get to Edinburgh and back for less) it's just a rip off. Other issues I have is that it'll cost me £15+ to get a taxi home after a night out! And finally the internet here is rubbish! I want to be able to get more than 2mb/s but our old school copper wires et cetera just suck and being a village we're obviously not on the priority list for exchange upgrades.

As for Glasgow, it's a pretty dire place in most areas but the city centre is nice as is the West End. Some of the nightclubs are just fantastic and shopping is pretty good if you enjoy it.

I cannot think about what I'd change, I'd probably get rid of all the neds in the city centre and a Friday and Saturday night.

Rodarian
08-25-2009, 04:26 PM
I live in Karachi, Pakistan for four years now......

What I like about it....

Umm I have my cousins and few family friends here so that's pretty alright.

What I hate about it:

The weather here is terrible...You can only survive if you have money...People here are ill behaved....

The aspect I would like to see:

Too many to even count but this place definitely needs to upgrade itself from poverty and corruption...

Freya
08-25-2009, 04:28 PM
There are trees! Before in wyoming there were no trees. I like being a little ways out of town compare to really far out of town. I also like that i'm away from people (I hate large amounts of people) but it's still only a 40 minute drive to get to a bigger town with a mall and such. The people are super nice!

What not?
All the things that i'm allergic too o.o There are a lot of churchy people.

Well the town itself I'd like to see it be less run down. There are a bunch of beautiful buildings that are just empty and not taken care of. No one lives in small towns anymore :/

Momiji
08-25-2009, 04:41 PM
What do I like about this place? It's quiet, I guess.

What don't I like? Pretty much everything else.

What would I like? People who suck less.

eestlinc
08-26-2009, 08:02 AM
i have a great job, and this place is really interesting, plus the coolness of living so close to the arctic circle.

What not?
everything is so expensive. as in: seven! seven dollar foot longs! and the fact that it is already the middle of autumn in late August.

tons of stuff but mostly more smart people

Aerith's Knight
08-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Close to my Uni... that's about it.

What not?
No trees, second floor appartement, but instead of a nice view I have a stupid factory tower in the middle of it.(grrr)

Everything open 24/7 BOOYAH!

Dreddz
08-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Very close to the centre of London. Lots of things to do and see. Lots of transport option. Around lots of people.

What not?
Like any other inner London area, its a ghetto. Lots of crime. Rows and rows of housing estates. Plus being white is being in a minority. I walk down the road and I feel like I'm walking through Jamaica. My pale white skin sticks out like a sore thumb.

Weather is the only thing I can think of now.

Rocket Edge
08-26-2009, 01:07 PM
I live in a small village just outside a growing town. My village is beautiful, I like the location I live, and being so close to town has it's advantages.

What not?
I'm sick of living with my parents and being told what to do. I loved being independent in college, so coming home is a sickner. Of course, I appreciate having my own bed with a dinner in front of me every evening, but it's driving me nuts. *phew, rant over* Other than that, there simply isn't much to do in my town, and especially not in the village. I was discussing with my girlfriend what we could do this weekend apart from drinking, and we couldn't come up with any creative suggestions other than the cinema or bowling. I enjoy going to a nightclub or a bar, but it's starting to effect my mood during the week because of drinking too much alcohol during a weekend. The weather is crazy also.

Things to don't require alcohol, & better weather.

The Space Pope
08-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I supose I should do this in the same fashion as the rest of you.

The fact that I live in one of the few major American cities that aren't completely overrun with left wing or right wing extremists, lots of cheap alcohol and not alot of fat people.

What not?
Hipsters, snobs, tourists, bad drivers, lots of crackheads, bad music, old money and subpar weed.

What aspects from other places you've lived in/visited would you like to see in your city? Lenient drug laws like in San Fransisco, friendlier people like in Georgia, less hipsters, less snobs, less people period.

Aydin
08-27-2009, 01:56 AM
I live in Corpus Christi, Texas.......

People are pretty friendly (For the most part), there are some things to do and the few things there is to do is clustered in the area, the roadway system makes going places pretty simple, the community college isn't bad, downtown is pretty happenin for a small city, RealmsCon!!!!!!!!!!

What not?
The public schools are terribly ran, the middle school kids are some of the worst people you've ever met, People who drive here are ASSHOLES!!, the gay community isn't very exciting, the whole city isn't very rich in culture (the city does attempt to promote them but it really isn't enough), the police are corrupt, the city is poorly ran, no one is at all active, THE HEAT IS UNBEARABLE, no one keeps their home at a decent cool temperature, possibly the lamest malls in existence...

I want to see some more culture and a better mall like in Houston.

Miriel
08-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Ethnically diverse, one of the liberal epicenters of California, amazing food scene, access to art, culture, concerts, festivals, exhibits, events, etc, the area is also surviving the recession relatively well.

What not?
The Bay Area is inundated with chilly fog at times. 65 degree weather in JULY?! Not cool. Cost of living is also fairly high. And too many neighborhoods that are crumbling and falling to decay while others are super gentrified and its crazy expensive to live there. Stupid one way streets.

Would love it if the streets and neighborhoods were safe to walk around in at night. Like in Madrid where you can frolic through the well lit boulevards at 2 in the morning without an ounce of fear for your safety. Siestas are awfully nice too. Would also appreciate a more vibrant and expansive korea town area a la Los Angeles.

rajagiri10
09-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I lived in Nether Land.I like my family and friends.

Laddy
09-04-2009, 12:36 PM
I live in Memphis, Tennessee.

I like the musical history, the cultural splendor, and the pure aesthetic beauty some of the places by the river posess.

I dislike the amount of criminal activity and the typical uberconservativeness in the more rural parts, even though the city limits of Memphis (I live in the metropolitan area) are quite liberal and open-minded.