PDA

View Full Version : Alive

Shiny
08-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Today I watched a movie called, Alive, which is based on the true story of a Uruguayan rugby team's struggle to survive in the cold, rigid weather of the Andes mountain after their plane crashes. The pilot and a few other people die due to the effects of harsh temperature and the impact of the plane crash. Stranded, cold and hungry, the living people decide to eat the people who've already died. The film itself is a decent account of what happened -- though the cannibalism is far more gruesome to see in visuals. I had read an article about this story in Sociology and thought it brought up a good question of a "What would you do" type of scenario.

If you were stranded on a cold mountain top with no food, would you resort to eating the people who've died? Keep in mind that many of the people they ate were their friends. Alternatively, you can discuss the moral dilemma in this film and the story as a whole.

LunarWeaver
08-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Oh man, I remember parts of this movie from a long time ago.

If I were dead and my friends still alive, I wouldn't care if they ate me. I mean, what the fuck do I care? I'm fucking dead. They might as well do their best to keep on keepin' on. With that mind, I would hope they feel the same and wouldn't care if I nom nom'd them. I guess I would, if I absolutely had to. Or maybe not. Maybe I'd just stab myself in the brain and forget the whole thing.

Bunny
08-25-2009, 08:28 PM
I would eat anyone. Dead or alive.

Peegee
08-31-2009, 05:47 PM
There was a GC thread where I had to decide if I would eat Leeza. I said no.

So my answer is 'it depends on who is dead'. I wouldn't eat somebody who I knew, and I'd probably have problems letting people eat him/her as well.

People/bodies/Life aren't/isn't intrinsically meaningful but they can be subjectively so, and greatly so.

Peter Singer says it is ethically okay to eat roadkill, so as long as that practice doesn't cause people to seek to 'cause' roadkill. That sort of emotionless, cold rationality works only in an academic exercise and in practice gives little to no satisfaction to those affected by emotions.

burp.