PDA

View Full Version : I jUST Started the Devil May Cry Series

Forsaken Lover
08-26-2009, 08:02 AM
So yeah, being a gamer, I heard all about this series for years. However I saw bits and pieces of it and like the anime/manga series Hellsing, I decided it was overrated due to its simplyappealing to immaturity. However I recently watched the first foru OVAS of Hellsing Ultimate and it was decent so i fugred I'd also give DMC its fair share. i got the first three games and here are my intial thoughts after playing a bit of all three:

1. Apart from the better gameplay, DMC1 still gives off a vibe like Onimusha: Warlords. Which is to say it feels like Resident Evil only with demons instead of zombies or mind-controlled minorities.

2h. I don't get the hate for DMC2. I've had a lot of fun playing it. Sure Dante doesn't talk as much but he only started flapping his gums every second in the next game. I think a cold stare and silence works better than the epic fail that were DMC3 Dante's dialogue. Though a lto of it is the fault of the VA. he seems to have improved in 4 but in 3...ugh.

3. Gameplay is fun. Basically a mix of The Matrix gun-fu and anime swordfighting. The bosses are all pretty cool as well.

4. Love the music in all the games.

5. I guess I may pick up 4 even though it's hero just seems to be Dante version 2.0... Some of it looks nice.

Your thoughts on my thoughts or yowu own comments on the series?

Masamunemaster
08-26-2009, 08:29 AM
I liked them all alot I just wish I could mix the game styles together, but it all gets better when you get deeper and try different things like only using swords or guns(except for those few times you cant get anywhere unless you do)

Breine
08-26-2009, 09:38 AM
I only have the first Devil May Cry. It was the first PlayStation 2 game I bought back then (I got Dead or Alive 2 with the console). I haven't played it for a long time now, but I remember liking it quite a lot. It has a good atmosphere as far as I remember, and the gameplay was fun too.

However, for some reason I didn't feel like buying the other games in the series.

Markus. D
08-26-2009, 09:55 AM
\

5. I guess I may pick up 4 even though it's hero just seems to be Dante version 2.0... Some of it looks nice.

Your thoughts on my thoughts or yowu own comments on the series?

DMC 4's Nero is very much the anti-Dante... and the way he plays in comparison to dante is rather different (Who instead abuses a very broken set of weapons by that time, and switches stances with ease like a crazy fella'... awesome, but overpowered).

DMC 3 is my favorite installment of the series
+ Great Storyline
+ Beating Dante Must Die Mode is satisfying enough to learn the advanced gameplay tactics.
+ Indy Lady (before she turned Voluptuous), pure badass.
+ Extremely fun gameplay, extremely fun places to obliterate through.

Dreddz
08-26-2009, 10:53 AM
The first Devil May Cry blew me away when I first played it. Just seemed like such a leap in gaming. Its still one of my favourite games ever. The series slowly wore thin on me though, to the point where finishing DMC4 became more of a chore than anything else.

I don't care what Capcom does with the series at this point. Bayonetta seems like the natural evolution for the series, so Ill just follow that for now.

Crimson
08-26-2009, 11:06 AM
It's my favourite series by Capcom with RE shortly behind it.

I just really loved it's fast paced battle system, and the whole Big Sword and guns packing heat badass who kills demons really appealed to me.

Slothy
08-26-2009, 11:45 AM
I liked the first game when it came out, up until I was about three quarters of the way through. Eventually the tedium of the battle system set in and I couldn't stand the thought of finishing the game. I skipped DMC2, then picked up the greatest hits version of 3 because people raved about how perfect and amazing it was. Unfortunately, I got bored even faster as the fighting was still tedious after a short time, and the story characters and voice acting were so cheesy that I couldn't even find enjoyment in how bad it was.

krissy
08-26-2009, 02:49 PM
dmc3 was great
dmc1 is pretty good too
dmc2 was just ok and no more

how was dmc3 cheesy and had bad dialogue? i never had a problem with the voice acting.

Slothy
08-26-2009, 03:24 PM
how was dmc3 cheesy and had bad dialogue? i never had a problem with the voice acting.

Maybe I'm thinking of the first one, but I have a hard time finding anything that comes out of Dante's mouth anything other than cheesy. They try to build him up as a big badass, but half his dialogue was eyeroll inducing one liners. I had the same problem with Leon in RE4.

As for the voice acting, there's certainly worse out there, but it's still not that great.

Forsaken Lover
08-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Hey now, Leons' one-liners were great.

Compared to scenes of Epic Fail like this:
YouTube - Devil May Cry 3 - Mission 10 - 3 - Dante, Lady & Arkham (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8YUWC-tWNY)

Leon sis perfectly composed and humble.

Edgar
08-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Hey now, Leons' one-liners were great.

Compared to scenes of Epic Fail like this:
YouTube - Devil May Cry 3 - Mission 10 - 3 - Dante, Lady & Arkham (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8YUWC-tWNY)

Leon sis perfectly composed and humble.

I don't see anything wrong with that scene.
DMC3 may seem cheesy, but it IS a younger, or rather, the youngest version of Dante in the DMC series. He is cocky, crazy, careless and obviously doesn't give a sh*t to anything much other than screwing his brother.

As for gameplay:
I didn't really play much of DMC2. It seemed so slow at the start it was a huge turn off. DMC1 was okay. DMC3 was rather crazy in terms of action. I would love DMC4 to be harder since I have swap styles with Dante.

Seraphic
08-26-2009, 06:56 PM
When I first played DMC1 it felt like such a chore to finish it, but after a second playthrough I liked it alot and got really excited for the next one that had just been released at the time.
I really loved the second one too, despite what everyone else had to say about it. I'm still waiting for them to bring back Lucia or some other second playable character that doesn't have a sword and guns to fight with.
As for the third one, I thought it had the coolest choreography to date and might still be the coolest in the series. Hottest version of Dante as well, I must say ;).
And the fourth I really liked Nero's devil arm grabby-thing, it allowed for some pretty badass combos. I think I liked Nero more than I did Dante in this game.
In fact I think I've always liked the secondary characters more than I actually liked Dante.

krissy
08-26-2009, 09:14 PM
dante and leon aren't exactly supposed to be deep thinking characters who are too good for a pun every now and again

afaik they got some of the best one liners available in video games
but i'm willing to accept youtube links to better ones

theundeadhero
08-26-2009, 09:21 PM
I have the first three and played them some but never got around to beating them. I have every intention to, one day.

scrumpleberry
08-26-2009, 09:25 PM
I've tried out Devil May Cry 4. Good slashy, gothy, pretty fun. The characters are also hilarious. I enjoyed it.

Slothy
08-27-2009, 12:39 AM
dante and leon aren't exactly supposed to be deep thinking characters who are too good for a pun every now and again

afaik they got some of the best one liners available in video games
but i'm willing to accept youtube links to better ones

As someone who's played RE2, I have trouble believing that Leon could ever be a one liner spewing badass and not have it feel forced. And his one liners were incredibly bad to boot. :p

Forsaken Lover
08-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Time changes people. Six years changed Leon from Ash in Evil Dead to Ash in Army of Darkness.

Slothy
08-27-2009, 01:30 AM
Poor writing changes people too.

Forsaken Lover
08-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Thank goodness RE2 Leon had such great writing.
YouTube - RE2 Leon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaBFuG31OvI)