PDA

View Full Version : Disk 1->2 Change (Spoilers, duh)

VeloZer0
08-26-2009, 03:34 PM
I was thinking about disk swaping from the FF13 thread, and when going through game disk swaps and how they identify 'chapters' in games I realized that I didn't really think of the time between the start of Disk 2 and the events at the northern crater as 'Disk 2'.

If you think about the general themes in each disk (excluding the section in question):
Disk 1:
- Following Sephiroth around
- Path of travel governed by geography
- No immanent threat to the world

Disk 2:
- Changing objectives
- Highwind allows access to entire world
- World in peril by Meteor

From these generic themes it seems to me that the City of Ancients -> Northern Crater sequence its in far better with Disk 1's themes. Thoughts?

(I'm going from a narative point of view, and ignoring the fact they probably couldn't have fit the extra data on Disk 1)

The Crystal
08-26-2009, 04:30 PM
I agree with you. To tell you the truth, I allways thought the same thing.
If we go by chapters, FFVII have two(chasing Sephiroth, and trying to stop Meteor) the same way FFVI have two chapters too(WoB and WoR).

Aydin
08-26-2009, 04:35 PM
I completely agree with you.... Though I miss having Aeris as a playable character... :(

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-26-2009, 06:29 PM
I've felt the same. Aerith's death is a big deal, but Cloud handing over the Black Materia is where things really go topsy-turvy.

Raistlin
08-26-2009, 10:59 PM
I agree completely. It seems like the City of Ancients and going up Northern Crater are still very very related, in that you're still just chasing along after Sephiroth. Aeris's death is a circumstance that happens along the way, and while it is an important one, it doesn't change the entire perspective of the game as much as Sephiroth summoning Meteor.

(I'm going from a narative point of view, and ignoring the fact they probably couldn't have fit the extra data on Disk 1)

Would it really be that much extra? Although there is a lot on disc 1, and I suppose moving more from disc 2 would further imbalance it, if it was even possible.

VeloZer0
08-27-2009, 05:03 AM
It doesn't mater if it is just a little extra, if Disk 1 is full Disk 1 is full. I don't actually own PSX disks for FFVII so I can't tell how much space is on it, but I would imagine that if the could have fit that content onto Disk 1, then they could have then moved all of Disk 3 on to Disk 2.

Big D
08-31-2009, 07:39 AM
From what I understand, the entire game is on all three discs - except for the FMVs.