PDA

View Full Version : A final boss with bite

Shattered Dreamer
08-26-2009, 06:48 PM
For the 1st time ever yesterday I decide to hell with it its about time I gave Sephiroth a shot. Got to Jenova, 1 Knight of The Round casting ladder she was dead! Then Sephiroth 2 Knights Of The Round he was dead. Then came Sephiroth's final form. I think I lasted 10 minutes, I threw everything at him, KOTR, Ultima & everything in between. 2 supernova's later & I was firmly bitch slapped.

So basically the point I'm trying to make is what an epic final boss! I've always found final bosses in games on average to be a bit of a let down or anti-climax but hell One Winged Angel Sephiroth just might be one of the greatest final bosses ever thought everyone?

theundeadhero
08-26-2009, 06:55 PM
I don't know what happened but most people find it incredibly easy. I don't even use KoTR on him ever and whip the crap out of him.

leader of mortals
08-26-2009, 08:26 PM
If you use KotR on Jenova Synth, Safer Sephy gains a lot of extra Hp.

Crimson
08-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Why would you use KOTR on Jenova? She's weaksauce.

And yeah, using KOTR on her gives Safer Sephiroth an extra 500,000 HP.

oddler
08-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Haste + 4x Cut + Counter + Mime > KOTR :choc2:

VeloZer0
08-26-2009, 10:18 PM
I always liked how that worked with Sephy gaining more HP. I also heard he is significantly stronger if you are lv99, though I don't know how true this is.

It would be nice if they made last bosses with 'I just went right through and beat the game' difficulty and 'I got everything' difficulty. It would really lessen the need for extra uber bosses in the game if they could just find a way to have the last boss scale intelligently. (Using triggers for every extra event you clear or something)

Then again in the earlier games it was almost assumed that you collected everything in order to beat the game at all :)

Raistlin
08-26-2009, 10:54 PM
As has been mentioned, using KotR on Jenova increases Safer Sephiroth's difficulty. And VeloZ, it is correct that if you're at level 99 the difficulty makes a significant jump as well. If you were lower-leveled and did not use KotR, you'd probably find him very easy.

I don't think he was particularly epic. He is at least moderately difficult at level 99 and after using KotR, but still not that much. The final bosses in FFs aren't really that difficult for me, but I like to do a lot of things in games and not just rush through. Some of the optional bosses have certainly been challenging, though.

Shattered Dreamer
08-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Looks like I'm totally out voted here:p But I'll bare in mind the bit about Jenova I have to say I do rely on KOTR a bit too much on powerful bosses towards the end of the game. If I use KOTR on Bizarro Sephiroth does it effect Safer Sephiroths difficulty?

DarkBahamut
08-27-2009, 05:01 AM
I know how KotR effects Safer Sephy, but for some reason, excluding or including HP Boost, only Omnislash would kill. Not a very strong Highwind, Ungarmax, or Catastrophe, but the Omnislash would always be the one to kill him. Especially because I always only used KotR once.

Wolf Kanno
08-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Sephiroth never gave me too many problems. I even took him on with a level 99 party using no materia and starting equipment and the battle only seemed to last forever rather than be really challenging. Course he's still a bigger threat than say... Ultemacia or Yu Yevon. Final boss battles haven't been terribly difficult in the series since Ex-Death in FFV (even then the right party set-up can eat him alive). I still think Zeromus in the original difficulty mode is still one of the nastiest bosses in the series cause the battle hinges on Edge who can be killed by just about anything Zeromus does. Every other final boss has some major Achilles heel or there is some game-mechanic that can be exploited to make them easier (Blood Sword, Max Level Onion Knight, Duel-Wield/ Rapid Fire, Duel Cast/Ultima, KotR/Limit Breaks, Desperation Moves, Trance/Maxed special skills, anything, proper Gambits and paying attention) :D

I do like that Sephy can get some extra power if you do proper things but I still feel its not enough. I don't find him that terribly more difficult even with the extra HP and more violent script. I really feel we need to do this a bit more like Star Ocean 2 where unlocking the Optional Super Dungeon and obtaining all the best equipment transforms the final boss into the most powerful boss in the game. That or just power down all the abilites and stop making max damage/break damage limit the norm. :roll2

oddler
08-27-2009, 07:42 PM
I really feel we need to do this a bit more like Star Ocean 2 where unlocking the Optional Super Dungeon and obtaining all the best equipment transforms the final boss into the most powerful boss in the game. That or just power down all the abilites and stop making max damage/break damage limit the norm. :roll2

I thought it was the Private Action with Filia in Central City that caused Indalecio to go nuts, not the Cave of Trials. But yeah, having variables throughout the game that can increase the power of a final boss is a great concept, in my opinion. I never knew about the KOTR/Jenova thing until this thread; that's pretty creative.

seiferalmasy2
08-28-2009, 03:50 PM
I think they made the end bosses way too easy....

But that can be rectified with some of the tools for PC version. For example. I have made Super Nova an instant game over (no cait sith and no final attack will work)

Other small tweaks and changes will eventually lead to my new mod: making the whole game harder.

DarkMassacre
08-29-2009, 11:02 AM
If you use KotR on Jenova Synth, Safer Sephy gains a lot of extra Hp.

I did not know that. Fortunately for me, on my last run through I didn't use KOTR on her. At some point before the fight Cloud leveled up his max HP increased to 7777 (That'll never happen again) and he just went ape:bou::bou::bou::bou: on her as soon as the battle began.

Zyphus
08-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I have made Super Nova an instant game over

This would personally just annoy the hell out of me rather than make it feel like its making the game harder.

seiferalmasy2
08-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Well in terms of last boss, it would certainly be harder....but the game itself becomes harder by altering HP and attack strengths.

Shattered Dreamer
08-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Retried him yesterday sans using KOTR on Jenova & made a lier out of myself biggest gaming disappointment EVER! I severely bitch slapped him. I'd encourage using KOTR on Jenova to make him a challenge! To think since I was 6 or 7yrs old I figured just because I couldn't beat Ruby & Emerald Weapon I wouldn't be strong enough to beat Sephiroth. EPIC FAIL!

DarkMassacre
08-29-2009, 07:54 PM
There is one other way to make him him stronger besides using KOTR on Jenova. For every character (besides Aeris) that you have at level 99 he will gain 30,000 more HP, 2 Attack, 20 Def, 5 Magic and 16 MDef.

seiferalmasy2
08-29-2009, 09:51 PM
It is actually more complicated than that, the full breakdown of HP amounts is here >

Safer Sephiroth - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Safer_Sephiroth)

Bizarro Sephiroth also becomes more difficult becaue of KOTR

Momiji
08-29-2009, 10:25 PM
I think Sephiroth is actually the easiest final boss in the series, with the possible exception of Ultimecia. Zeromus and Kuja/Necron gave me a harder time, honestly.

Crimson
08-30-2009, 03:18 AM
Sephiroth was pathetic, I had to draw the battle out TWICE just so I could actually see Super Nova without killing him.

Zeromus was a much better fight because god forbid it's AI script actually had the brains to constantly hit me with Big Bang forcing me to stay on my toes.

With Sephiroth it's like "Oh hey, um....Heartless Angel....ok, now, um....physical attack...um.*

Joke battle is a joke.

Wolf Kanno
08-30-2009, 06:22 AM
I thought it was the Private Action with Filia in Central City that caused Indalecio to go nuts, not the Cave of Trials. But yeah, having variables throughout the game that can increase the power of a final boss is a great concept, in my opinion. I never knew about the KOTR/Jenova thing until this thread; that's pretty creative.

Your correct but doing that event also unlocks the optional dungeon and I felt people would understand it better if I said it that way. :p Course it is confusing since I said requiring the best loot was also a factor so I'm sorry for some confusion.

Shattered Dreamer
08-30-2009, 02:40 PM
It is actually more complicated than that, the full breakdown of HP amounts is here >

Safer Sephiroth - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Safer_Sephiroth)

Bizarro Sephiroth also becomes more difficult becaue of KOTR

Interesting read that if I'm ever bored enough I might fight him at him peak by satisfying all the requirements to make him stronger. That might make what I said when I started this thread true:tongue:

VeloZer0
08-30-2009, 03:50 PM
"Any time Bizarro Sephiroth's head was killed during the previous fight reduces 100 Max HP up to a maximum reduction of 24,900 HP"

Nice to know they took into account what should happen if you killed the head 249 times fighting Bizarro Sephiroth.

Raistlin
08-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Haha, I didn't even know that one. It's interesting that they essentially give you a bonus for having a difficult time with Bizzaro Sephiroth (though after a few times I think you'd have to really be trying to keep him alive).

Zeromus_X
08-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Your correct but doing that event also unlocks the optional dungeon and I felt people would understand it better if I said it that way. :p Course it is confusing since I said requiring the best loot was also a factor so I'm sorry for some confusion.

Well, to be more specific, it's actually saving at the final save point that unlocks both access to the bonus dungeon and the PA to remove the final boss's limiter (and if you did the first part to the PA earlier in the game). So if you were feeling suicidal, you could actually try fighting the "unlimited" final boss without the extra levels and best stuff from going through the bonus dungeon.

But yes, I agree, games should have more options to make the final boss a bit more challenging if you've already done optional content. Some more examples can be be found in some of the Tales games. In Tales of Destiny remake for PS2, clearing the bonus dungeon gives the final boss new cheap super moves to counter some of your own skills. In Tales of Vesperia, doing a sidequest gives the final boss a third, more powerful form. And maybe more in others I haven't played

As for Sephiroth, even using Knights of the Round to make him more powerful, he isn't too intimidating, especially if your characters were prepared to fight the Weapons and the like. Perhaps if he got some new skills or a more threatening AI pattern, he could be more challenging.

Jessweeee♪
08-30-2009, 09:35 PM
It was the strangest thing. The first time I beat him, it was a piece of cake. My brother shut off the playstation before I could see the ending, so I had to load it back up and do it again.

Everything was the same, I didn't even have KOTR, but for some reason it was just impossible! I couldn't do it :(

VeloZer0
08-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Well (as far as I know) his moves, like just about all JRPG enemies, are mostly random so the frequency/order he uses certain abilities will really change the difficulty of the fight.

The Turk
08-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Well (as far as I know) his moves, like just about all JRPG enemies, are mostly random so the frequency/order he uses certain abilities will really change the difficulty of the fight.
Actually there is a pattern to all his attacks. I can't remember it myself but if you know the pattern you can figure out his next attacks and then work out when you need to heal etc.

seiferalmasy2
08-31-2009, 12:17 AM
Sepher Sephiroth's moves are an order you are correct. The way I remember is

Wall> Shadow Flare > wing attack > Pale Horse > Supernova

Those might change a little, but most are in that order. He also uses deen later and the process is pretty much same. AFAIK, pale horse always precedes Supernova

Big D
08-31-2009, 07:44 AM
As has been mentioned, using KotR on Jenova increases Safer Sephiroth's difficulty.I never know about that one... knew that he gets more powerful as you gain levels - kind of like FFVIII's monsters - but not the KotR thing.
"Any time Bizarro Sephiroth's head was killed during the previous fight reduces 100 Max HP up to a maximum reduction of 24,900 HP"

Nice to know they took into account what should happen if you killed the head 249 times fighting Bizarro Sephiroth.That's pretty cool too. It's neat that there's still stuff to learn about this game, 12 years on...

FFVII was the first console RPG I ever played, so Sephiroth was one tough cookie for me, at first. Took a lot of effort and a lot of Megalixirs to beat him with my relatively poorly-equipped and under-levelled party.