PDA

View Full Version : Currency!

Rye
08-28-2009, 12:36 AM
I just received some converted British pounds (my keyboard doesn't have the sign!). I've never seen any foreign money before, except for the old Italian Lira, so I was so excited. I'm a fan of the 20 Pound note, because it's purple and shiny. The 50s are my favorite color of red too. I like how the smaller denomination bills are smaller than the 20s and 50s. It's so different!

The lira was the prettiest though.

What do you think is the prettiest money?

Parker
08-28-2009, 12:41 AM
There are old 20 pound notes in circulation still which suck and are uglier so don't freak out and shout at the supermarket checkout guy for giving you fake moneyzz like some guy did to me last week.

Kirobaito
08-28-2009, 12:46 AM
The notes printed by the HBoS were cooler than those by the Bank of England or Clydesdale, I found. Maybe it's because the Barclay's ATM I used always spit them out brand new.

Unbreakable Will
08-28-2009, 12:47 AM
I think all money is beautiful in its own way :bigsmile:

Rye
08-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Hahaha, I'll try not to! I do like the pretty ones though. They're so shinyyyy.

Madame Adequate
08-28-2009, 12:53 AM
If Granny ever gives you any Northern Irish money you'll need to get that changed at the bank because most places seem to think it's not legit :jess:

Rye
08-28-2009, 12:55 AM
If Granny ever gives you any Northern Irish money you'll need to get that changed at the bank because most places seem to think it's not legit :jess:

I am totally not accepting money from GRANNY. No way. I'd feel so guilty.

All I want is like, a dollar, for my collection.

... wait a minute. I thought the whole of Ireland had the same money as the rest of GB? What? xD

Kirobaito
08-28-2009, 12:56 AM
While I was in Canterbury I handed a lady a 20-pound purple Walter Scott HBoS note (now that Lloyds bought them, is HBoS money still circulating?). She had to ask someone else, who presumably was a Scot, if it was actually legit money or if I was trying to pull a fast one on her.

EDIT: The Republic of Ireland uses the Euro. Northern Ireland uses the pound, but their own banks print them out. There's no such thing as merely a "20-pound note." There are several banks which print money, so their notes do not all look the same. In England the BoE has a monopoly, but in Scotland there are either two or three, and in Northern Ireland there are four.

EDIT 2: And of course, you need to edit your "rest of Great Britain" line once you get over to the UK - of course, Ireland is not a part of Great Britain, which is merely an island that includes Scotland, Wales, and England.

Yar
08-28-2009, 01:00 AM
Monopoly money is the prettiest. I could look at Mr. Monopoly's mustache all day.

Madame Adequate
08-28-2009, 01:28 AM
EDIT 2: And of course, you need to edit your "rest of Great Britain" line once you get over to the UK - of course, Ireland is not a part of Great Britain, which is merely an island that includes Scotland, Wales, and England.

Yes but in reality the terms "Great Britain" and "United Kingdom" are synonymous and the only reason 90% of people distinguish between them is when debating geographical specifics.

Kirobaito
08-28-2009, 01:32 AM

Yes but in reality the terms "Great Britain" and "United Kingdom" are synonymous and the only reason 90% of people distinguish between them is when debating geographical specifics.
Of course they are. But that doesn't mean she can't be factually correct about it. :p

Madame Adequate
08-28-2009, 01:35 AM

Of course they are. But that doesn't mean she can't be factually correct about it. :p

Psh, WE don't care, I don't think we need foreign types to worry :p

Necronopticous
08-28-2009, 02:00 AM
Thai Baht is the most beautiful money on Earth because of what it can buy.

Rye
08-28-2009, 02:02 AM
Thai Baht is the most beautiful money on Earth because of what it can buy.

:tpg::yamete:

The Space Pope
08-28-2009, 02:04 AM
I have quite a few foreign coins that I found on my travels.

Will post pics of them later, too lazy to turn on my laptop to do it.
I mean I always try turning it on but it's never in the mood and tells me to go back to sleep.

Kirobaito
08-28-2009, 02:09 AM

Psh, WE don't care, I don't think we need foreign types to worry :p
The Irishmen and Scots I met cared about getting the geography right. :D Of course, the Scots were all SNP and the Irishmen were probably IRA.

Shauna
08-28-2009, 03:05 AM
While I was in Canterbury I handed a lady a 20-pound purple Walter Scott HBoS note (now that Lloyds bought them, is HBoS money still circulating?). She had to ask someone else, who presumably was a Scot, if it was actually legit money or if I was trying to pull a fast one on her.

Ugh. I hate this. D: Even non-HBoS notes, people in England don't seem to like accepting Scottish notes. I remember I was trying to donate money to some charity, and I handed them a Royal Bank of Scotland note, and they were all "Oh, I dunno if we can accept this...". I was fairly annoyed.

But yes, I agree that the HBoS notes are fantastic. I love getting them. xD

rubah
08-28-2009, 04:01 AM
I love 50 cent pieces, regardless of currency. At least the three currencies I've possessed have had really nice 50 cent pieces.

rubah
08-28-2009, 04:04 AM
btw rye, you can change your keyboard to British English and then be able to shift + 3 to get £

Madame Adequate
08-28-2009, 04:44 AM
btw rye, you can change your keyboard to British English and then be able to shift + 3 to get £

Yes but there are other differences that would just end up being confusing

Peegee
08-28-2009, 04:46 AM

or Pound sterling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_pound)

rubah
08-28-2009, 04:50 AM

Yes but there are other differences that would just end up being confusing

*shrug*

I like to learn different keyboard layouts. I learned the french layout pretty well in the month I was there instead of using the US layout. As long as you don't look at the keyboard very often, you'll learn by just making mistakes often enough.

I keep meaning to learn colemak but I never stick to it long enoughxD Any keyboard layout with very few differences (and all the letters are teh same between US/British keyboards, right? So it'd only be punctuation and shift-numbers) is very easy to pick up

Peegee
08-28-2009, 06:04 AM
Canada and its technicolor money ftw

Quindiana Jones
08-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Canadian money is awesome. It's like the British pounds, except cooler.

American money is the most boring money in the entire world.

Aerith's Knight
08-28-2009, 10:22 AM
http://www.biegel-collect.eu/webshop/images//munten_beeldmap/bn/bn135_1.jpg

Old Manus
08-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Enjoy trying to spend your £50 notes at anywhere but Tesco. Change them to twenties or something.

I've got various currencies knocking about here somewhere. I have 100 Greek δραχμή, 1 Egyptian Pound and a few Turkish coins from various adventures.

Breine
08-28-2009, 11:28 AM
I've seen many different types of money, partly because of my traveling. Nepalese money look really pretty as far as I remember. Indian money have Gandhi all over them (and some of the 1 rupee coins feature a thumbs up). Hong Kong money are totally spaced out with bright colours, transparent see-through parts, and flower-shaped coins.

There are many pretty moneyz out there, but I do have to say that I do not like the look of the American Dollar.

Rye
08-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Enjoy trying to spend your £50 notes at anywhere but Tesco. Change them to twenties or something.

I've got various currencies knocking about here somewhere. I have 100 Greek δραχμή, 1 Egyptian Pound and a few Turkish coins from various adventures.

That's what Huxley told me! He said that people won't take them because they think they're fake or something. xD

Old Manus
08-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah they're so uncommon that nobody knows what they look like (I don't), so half the time they're counterfeit.

Quindiana Jones
08-28-2009, 12:22 PM
I take them where I work. I know what £50s look like and know the things to look out for. Still a much better idea to just switch them over at a bank, though.

aquatius
08-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Yen coins are really light, and the 5 one is cool because it has a hole in it.

Rye
08-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Wow, Manus. I feel like I have some sort of otherworldly power, being in possession of two of these bills.

I'll be sitting in an alleyway in a sketchy overcoat when three innocent shoden-faced children walk by.

"Psst. Psst, kids... C'mere... I got something to show you"

"Gosh, I'm not interested in drugs!!! Stranger danger!!!"

"Nah... nah... say... wanna see a 50 pound note?"

"Wow!!! Okay!"

"Well, y'gotta do somtin for me, seeee?"

"W-what is it...?" they ask nervously.

"Give me your lunch money. A lunch box is okay. No crusts or strawberry jam, alright? Now gather around, kids..."

Quindiana Jones
08-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Rye molests those children afterwards.

Rodarian
08-28-2009, 02:54 PM
The most boring currency notes are american ones...:eep:

The best buying power and looks goes to the Thai Bhat...I Love shopping there!! *Is a shopaholic in Thailand*:yamete:

Pakistani Rupees are so so..:colbert:

I like Swedish currency are eye catching some reason.:pinkelephant:

British Pounds makes me feel expensive!:D

The winner is good old Canadian dollar... Reds oranges and purples , my oh my! :pinkelephant:

Breine
08-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Thai Baht is kinda meh in my opinion. They all feature a pic of when the king was still young, and then they have these weird rules concerning them too. You can't step on, bend, crumple, crease or do anything like that to them without breaking the law. Thailand is super royal, and anything that defies or goes against the king is illegal, and they'll lock you away for years.

Don't get me wrong, I like Thailand, but that's just a tad too much.

scrumpleberry
08-28-2009, 11:07 PM
You're technically not allowed to DEFACE THE QUEEEEN on brit money, but she's too chill to care imo.

Quindiana Jones
08-29-2009, 11:33 AM
scrumps speaks the truth. Technically some kind of treason, or some bollocks.

Iceglow
08-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Heheh I got lots of replies to make here, so I'm going to have to be quick I guess.

Ugh. I hate this. D: Even non-HBoS notes, people in England don't seem to like accepting Scottish notes. I remember I was trying to donate money to some charity, and I handed them a Royal Bank of Scotland note, and they were all "Oh, I dunno if we can accept this...". I was fairly annoyed.

Did you go with the immortal line you ONLY ever hear in a Scottish accent, "Thats legal tender, I'll have you know!" please tell me you did xD

That's what Huxley told me! He said that people won't take them because they think they're fake or something. xD

Manus, you can use 50 quid notes pretty much anywhere, or maybe thats just London but I never have had issues using them when I get them and I never have issues taking them from customers (well, unless I just started shift in the restaurant and thus have like 20 quid in coins in my cash float or if I just emptied my tenners out of my till float in my other job, we're only allowed 50 quid in tenners in there at a time, the rest goes in the counter clear) In fact I had more trouble as an employee of Sainsbury's taking 50 quid notes than I do now.

As for people thinking they're fake well the employee should have been taught how to detect fake notes, I take thousands of pounds worth of notes in an hour at HMV on a till and if I take 3 fake notes I lose my job. I've been accused of taking 1 in a 14 month period, the problem there is that they cannot actually 100% declare "IT WAS YOU!" because the tills are shared and they have to 'estimate the time of transaction' based on the number or notes in the counter cache and the money taken on that till also when it's busy and you're not on a till but get told to help out you very rarely get back on to the till you're assigned to.

Jess, if you have any troubles with 50 quid notes bring them up to London, I'll help ya spend them ;) if you do find a fake note, take it in to any bank branch of any bank in the UK they'll swap the note over for a legit one in most circumstances.

Pretty money eh? Well Polish Zlotty is cute because it's tiny! Seriously the 5p (uk money, smallest coin in circulation) coin is pretty damn small (smaller than a cent for sure) and the 1 grozny (equivalent to like 1 cent/1p) is smaller even than the 5p coin. I think Polish money is physically the smallest money I've ever had to use, the problem with that is the fact that my pockets kept hiding my money in the lining of them. Seriously, the coins go no bigger than a 50p coin and that would be a 5zl coin. Australia has pretty money, their notes have clear see through bits in ect. Also I had this beautiful coin with a lily on the opposite side from the denomination, I just can't find it and can't remember the currency, if I find the coin I might have it made in to a pendant for the girlfriend.

Shauna
08-29-2009, 12:39 PM

Did you go with the immortal line you ONLY ever hear in a Scottish accent, "Thats legal tender, I'll have you know!" please tell me you did xD

Haha, no, I never did. He wandered away to ask some other person who was collecting donations, and I just grumbled away. xD

Iceglow
08-29-2009, 12:43 PM

Haha, no, I never did. He wandered away to ask some other person who was collecting donations, and I just grumbled away. xD

Thats so full of fail Shauna...I'm so deadly disappointed in you!

Shauna
08-29-2009, 12:44 PM
:( I am sorry I disappointed you.

scrumpleberry
08-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah I've never had any trouble spending 50s. Like, at all. Ever.

Quindiana Jones
08-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Haha, I love that the guy continued trying to donate to charity. If a charity refused my "legal tenderrrrrr", I would've told them to go die in a hole and never donated again.

Having said that, I don't donate to charities anyway, so I never have that problem. :)

Shauna
08-29-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't usually either, but if someone stops me in the street, I find that the fastest way to get rid of them can often be to just do what they ask. :p

Quindiana Jones
08-29-2009, 01:03 PM
I talk to them about what a bastard Bono is and they play along and pretend to find me funny. That way, when I tell them that a)I don't donate to charities or b)I would donate, but I'd rather wait until I'm in a more financially secure place before I sign up to anything, they can't wait to get going. xD

Laddy
08-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Australian Dollar. 'Nuff said.

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-29-2009, 07:23 PM
In Canadaland we have rainbow money. :D

Who can't love things like a Loony and Toony?