PDA

View Full Version : I don't like making food for one person

Levian
08-28-2009, 04:36 PM
I also don't like making food every day. :D That's why I'm seeking your guidance, EoFF. I have a big freezer and I have a microwave, so I intend to make food in large quantities when I first decide to make food. So help me out! what are some good meals that are easy to make large quantities of?

Providing recipes will not be frown upon.

Rodarian
08-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Poor Man's Pizza

You need

loads of pita bread...

olive oil

cheese (any variety)

Hot sauce / tomato sauce

some herbs and spices

any random meat topping if needed

Place in mirco and zap it for maybe four mins tops...

Voila!! Instant yummy pizza!

Works wonders for me!!

Unbreakable Will
08-28-2009, 04:46 PM
I suggest making lots of beef tips and rice. Its a ton of rice with beef and gravy in it all in the confines of a crockpot mmmm. If you wish I can give you the recipe

Rodarian
08-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Oh and dinner in box is always the way to go...And you can get so many variety these days!! Go visit your nearest friendly supermarket and start shopping for these things!!

Why I have Instant Thai in a Box to Indian Curry Special in a box!

Yum yum!!

Aerith's Knight
08-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Beef Bowl

Needed:

1 wok
2 spatulas
500 grams ground beef
paprika spice
salt
pepper
chili powder
olive oil
Peppers
Cabbage
Chili sauce(preferably Thai, just make sure you see small bits of pepper in there)
Tomatoes
Onions
Lettuce
Various vegetables to own taste

Preperation:

- Cut up all the vegetables, onions, peppers and tomatoes. If you can buy a Thai wok mix of vegetables in the supermarket you'll be done a lot easier
- throw the beef in a big bowl, add plenty of paprika powder, chili powder and some pepper and salt. The amount varies by amount of beef, but when the colour of the beef starts to change, you should stop. Mesh it all together with your hands until the spices are mixed together well.

Cooking:

1. Pour some olive oil in the wok pan, or any deep pan you can find.
2. If not done so already, turn on the stove.
3. Wait for the wok to get hot, then put in the beef.
4. Use the spatulas to tear apart the beef into little pieces. It will be easier to eat that way.
5. After about 5-7 minutes, after the beef is cooked, add the vegetables, peppers and Onions.
6. Mix it all together and let it cook for a few minutes. Keep rotating the vegetables and such.
7. Add the tomatoes and let it cook for a few minutes, still keeping up with the rotating, like making a salad.
8. pour a generous amount of the Chili sauce on it, how much depending on how spicy you can take it.
9. Mesh it together and let it cook for 2-3 min, then take the pan off the fire.
10. Enjoy, but keep a glass of water nearby.

Levian
08-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Oh and dinner in box is always the way to go...And you can get so many variety these days!! Go visit your nearest friendly supermarket and start shopping for these things!!

Ah things don't work like that in Norway. If you want it in a box, it's gonna cost you more!

I suggest making lots of beef tips and rice. Its a ton of rice with beef and gravy in it all in the confines of a crockpot mmmm. If you wish I can give you the recipe

Some weird woman I lived with yesteryear told me rewarming frozen rice is dangerous to eat, then she threw it in the trash! I wouldn't know how true that actually is. xD But yeah, I'd love the recipe! Trying out new stuff is fun.

edit: ooh, wok! Yeah, I'm definitely going to be making me some of that. ;o

Rodarian
08-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Poor man's pizza then!!

Raistlin
08-28-2009, 06:06 PM
If you have a microwave, why do you need to cook anything in the first place? :confused:

Bunny
08-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Make a big bucket of chili. That should last you the week. Hamburger, 1-2 types of beans, tomato sauce, done.

Miriel
08-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Lasagna is great to make/freeze and keep on hand for whenever you're in the mood.

Here's a blog with recipes and instructions for how to freeze/unfreeze meals, and how long it keeps in the fridge: 100 Make-Ahead Meals (http://makeaheadmeals.blogspot.com/)

Quindiana Jones
08-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Curry. Spaghetti bolognese. Anything where all you have to do is add more stuff. Things like steak and that are more difficult, due to the fact that you can't just lob it all toogether and wait.

Levian
08-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Lasagna is great to make/freeze and keep on hand for whenever you're in the mood.

Here's a blog with recipes and instructions for how to freeze/unfreeze meals, and how long it keeps in the fridge: 100 Make-Ahead Meals (http://makeaheadmeals.blogspot.com/)

Ooh, that's a glorious idea for a website. :o Most of those recipes seems kinda fancy pants though with lots of ingredients I can't afford, but I'm sure I'll find some good ones in there. :D *bookmark'd*

Breine
08-28-2009, 09:14 PM

Click! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhp_pLWHIvU) :monster:

Seriously, make loads of lasagna. Easy and tastes great.

Quindiana Jones
08-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Lasagna is icky. Tasty once a month, maybe. Not something to have over and over again. I mean, Jesus that's a boring taste. And a boring texture too.

oddler
08-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Spaghetti is so much more awesome than Lasagna but I don't know how awesome it would be if you kept large quantities of spaghetti chilled for a while. :-\

scrumpleberry
08-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Putting aubergines and courgettes in helps. Sometimes.

Quindiana Jones
08-28-2009, 09:55 PM
The downside of that, of course, is that it then tastes of ass-bergines and courg-:bou::bou::bou::bou:s.

Took me a little while to think of those two. xD

Aerith's Knight
08-28-2009, 10:07 PM
The downside of that, of course, is that it then tastes of ass-bergines and courg-:bou::bou::bou::bou:s.

Took me a little while to think of those two. xD

Sad as it is, I have to agree to this.

Nobody would.. no should put those things in their food willingly.

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-28-2009, 10:23 PM

Some weird woman I lived with yesteryear told me rewarming frozen rice is dangerous to eat, then she threw it in the trash! I wouldn't know how true that actually is. xD But yeah, I'd love the recipe! Trying out new stuff is fun.It's something to do with rice having a rather large surface area for it's size. It is therefore a pretty good breeding ground for microbes. However, it is really like any other food stuff, if it's piping hot then it'll be fine!

But really, rice is the easiest thing to cook ever, I see no reason to cook it and freeze it. An awesome alternative to lasagne but on the same lines is moussaka, however minced lamb isn't cheap.

blackmage_nuke
08-29-2009, 12:58 AM
Make normal rice
eat rice
refridgerate leftover rice
make fried rice with the leftover rice the next day

All you need is oil, rice, egg, and salt. Anything else is optional.

Peegee
08-29-2009, 01:06 AM
If you have a microwave, why do you need to cook anything in the first place? :confused:

Heretic.

Araciel
08-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Replace microwave with phone.

Crimson
08-29-2009, 02:26 AM
Replace microwave with dish washer.

Fix'd.

Parker
08-29-2009, 02:34 AM
Basically go for big batches of curries and casseroles. There's a lot of different ways to experiment with those dishes so you shouldn't get bored. And yea and as blackmage_nude said whenever you boil up some rice make extra so you can fry it next day.

Also get lots of tortillas and freeze up big batches of fillings, so you can have a quick burrito lunch whenever you want.

blackmage_nuke
08-29-2009, 05:18 AM
blackmage_nude

How did he know!?:eek::shifty:

Big D
08-29-2009, 07:12 AM
I look making food for one person sometimes. I just had the awesomest giant wrap for dinner:
*Wholegrain Middle Eastern wrap
*Fresh lettuce
*Capsicum
*Red onion
*Tomato
*Roasted garlic hummus
*Hot roast pork
*A splash of barbecue sauce

Jiro
08-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Spaghetti is so much more awesome than Lasagna but I don't know how awesome it would be if you kept large quantities of spaghetti chilled for a while. :-\

Heat and add a lot of cheese and it's delicious. Same goes for pasta. Anything based around mince is probably your best bet. You can even whack leftovers on your sandwiches for the next day.

There's some sort of guide to staying alive while on a student's pittance in my uni diary. I'll try and find it.