PDA

View Full Version : Batman: Arkham Asylum

Depression Moon
05-22-2009, 12:01 AM
IGN Video: Batman: Arkham Asylum PlayStation 3 Commentary - Silent Knight Challenge Room Extended Walkthrough (http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14273490/batman-arkham-asylum/videos/batman_trl_walkthrough_040709.html)

This game looks quite interesting to me. I have high hopes for it since it has been in production for a while. A lot of people are iffy about licensed games and I can see why, but with the way this game is looking, I think we're safe here. I hear it's based from the graphic novel and so far for villains all we've seen or heard about are Joker, Harley, and Killer Croc. I played a demo of it featuring the combat and it found it pretty good, but just a little repetitive. The looks brilliant in graphics and knocking someone's head in slow motion with your X-ray vision on is always cool.

I like the stealth play in it, they 're going with the grittier dirtier Batman which almost everyone likes. I want to see more of it in the future, but f it does turn out good, I'll wait until the price drops a little.

Dreddz
05-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Looks very mediocre. Dunno why people are hyping this to be honest. Looks like it goes between very average stealth game to a poor brawler. 3D brawlers in general just don't work as well as they should (God Hand being an exception) so I hate to say this but a Batman game will never go beyond mediocrity.

I'm not completely against Arkam Asylum though. Looks like they are doing some interesting things with the story and setting. Hopefully that will make up for everything else in the game.

Bolivar
05-22-2009, 06:40 PM
I know its the standard to call a licensed game to suck, but from my experience it all depends on who's making it, and you really can't judge it until you play it. Alot of James Bond games have gotten a bad rap, but I honestly believe alot of them were fun to play: From Russia With Love was amazing for having Sean Connery and a decent cover & shooting system, and I believe Agent Under Fire was ahead of its time as a console shooter (once you change the controls...)

I honestly think this game looks and will probably be amazing. First of all I loved the Batman Animated Series back in the day, and for them to have Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamill as the joker in a game with a solid engine that can really make a story come to life, this is like a childhood dream come true.

I got a chance to play the fighting challenge room at Best Buy and I can definitely say this is a title I'll be picking up on day 1. The combat is so fluid, especially the way they make counters flow so perfectly with regular combat. I think this is going to be a really great game, and the way they employ stealth methods, like having the Evasion phase from MGS series, it looks like its going to be a real winner.

I'm excited, but that's just me.

Depression Moon
05-22-2009, 11:22 PM
never go beyond mediocrity.
Never, that's a big claim and I feel sorry that might not be able to enjoy it when it releases.

The game also has the same voice casters for Harley and Posion Ivy from the animated series. I'm also interested to seeing Oracle the first Batgirl in the story. I wouldnt'care if Robin never appeared.

Bolivar
05-24-2009, 02:58 AM
^ The thing is, though, that would be an interesting challenge for any film or video game director: if you could incorporate Robin into the story in a way that wouldn't ruin the entire experience.

That's something I'm really wondering if Christopher Nolan has any intention with.

JKTrix
08-30-2009, 01:43 AM
History made me skeptical of the potential quality of this game, so I didn't actually buy it until after it was out and I heard more people talking about it.

So I bought it and picked it up on Thursday evening. I just finished it.

I don't have a whole lot to say about it, except this will probably be my 'Game of the Year'. Highly recommended, particularly the PS3 version with all its extra stuff.

NeoCracker
08-30-2009, 01:57 AM
I love this game so much. :love:

The scarecrow battles had some amazing atmosphere to them.

Though I loved the stealth aspect when sneaking into a room with armed gaurds. Nothing is quite as satisfying as nabbing the guy in the back of a group and stringing him upside down from a gargoyle.

LunarWeaver
08-30-2009, 02:02 AM
This game is amazing as a video game and as a game utilizing the Batman universe. I really, really love it.

But I am stuck! I can't find a guide to help me. Gamespot's is the only guide that's covered this far and it didn't help.

I am in the batcave for the second time where he receives a new gadget. Ivy's vines are everywhere and blocking all my exits. I use the gadget on a breakable wall and jump over. But at the end is just this beautiful scenery of an ocean and bunch of rocks. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to glide or grapple to. I dunno want to do :/ Gamespot said "Glide to the southeast island". He never makes it anywhere, though! Can you help me Trix?

Crimson
08-30-2009, 03:07 AM
I would have tried it, but it had the unfotunate luck of being out at the same time as Dissidia.

And because i'm also complete biased, Dissidia > Batman, by a longshot.

Shoeberto
08-30-2009, 03:36 AM
I played the demo on PS3 and was really impressed by what was shown. I'd like to see more. It's nice to have someone actually do some justice to the license.

Jiro
08-30-2009, 04:50 AM
This is definitely on my list of games to look at. Buying is out of the question until I have a job. But definitely looks cool.

Madame Adequate
08-30-2009, 05:38 AM
I played the demo and was utterly astonished by how great it was. I'll be getting a hold of it sometime soon.

JKTrix
08-30-2009, 05:51 AM
I am in the batcave for the second time where he receives a new gadget. Ivy's vines are everywhere and blocking all my exits. I use the gadget on a breakable wall and jump over. But at the end is just this beautiful scenery of an ocean and bunch of rocks. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to glide or grapple to. I dunno want to do :/ Gamespot said "Glide to the southeast island". He never makes it anywhere, though! Can you help me Trix?

I think I know where you are. After that cutscene, you should be facing the direction you should go. You have to glide between two pillar-like rock structures to reach the small 'island' between/behind them. That little island has some grass on it (I think) as well as a Riddler trophy on its lowest level. Then from there, you can grapple across to the next side of the cave from the top level of that small island.

The cutscene shows you exactly where to go.

Masamunemaster
08-30-2009, 06:35 AM
I would have tried it, but it had the unfotunate luck of being out at the same time as Dissidia.

And because i'm also complete biased, Dissidia > Batman, by a longshot.

exactly

Dreddz
08-30-2009, 12:45 PM
I played the demo and wasn't really keen on the game to be honest. The gameplay was underwelming from what I played. It seemed as though I'd get to a group of enemies and mash square for half a minute and be done with them. Sorry, but pressing triangle every so often doesn't make the combat "deep" as some like to tell me. It also suffers from trying to do too much. The controls are cluttered because of it. I'd prefer the game more if it was more focused on certain aspects rather than trying to be the best at everything. Plus I feel as though Eidos has spoiled the entire game for me anyway. Why do I need to know every villain in the game before its release? Ruining the fun isn't it?

I am fond of the games tone and atmosphere though. If I catch the game in a few months from now going for cheap, then I may give it a go. In the mean time I'm more interested in getting a few other titles like Demon Souls and Blazblue.

Bolivar
08-30-2009, 07:53 PM
good choice on Demon's Souls.

I think the game's great. My gf has been playing through the story mode and it seems like it just gets better and better. I've been playing the challenges and I have to say I really love it.

The combat is amazing to me mostly for the animations, but also it does in fact take skill, timing, and a little bit of luck to string together the really big combos. I've been trying to string together 40 in the Joker Challenges for the next trophy, but it's tough.

Being a big fan of Metal Gear, i really love the "silent predator" aspect and challenge room, basically this game just has tons of replay value for me, not just due to trophies, unlockables, and how much I like the single player, but unlocking and trying to do my best in the challenge rooms really make this game a winner for me.

And for the record, there have been plenty of great Batman games. A bunch of bad ones, no doubt, but there's been good ones!

Meow
09-02-2009, 05:54 AM
this game is pretty much the bee's knees and I laughed every time harley popped up all bedecked like a chinatown badonkadonk floozy

Depression Moon
09-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Hey Dreddz what do you say about the game now that it's finally out and has received incredibly high scores?

Psychotic
09-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Don't go bumpin' up old threads, man, 'specially when there's a new one on the same topic. Threads merged.

Dreddz
09-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey Dreddz what do you say about the game now that it's finally out and has received incredibly high scores?

I'm not stubborn enough to overlook all the praise this game has gotten. And it has definitely edged me closer to purchising the game. It simply comes down to money. Money which I don't have. I would say I'd wait till early next year, when game releases slow down. But early 2010 looks insane, so I honestly have no idea when Ill play the game, if ever.

Shattered Dreamer
10-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I bought Arkham Asylum with my new PS3 & I have to say its easily one of the best games I've played. I'm not that far into it(I got MGS4 too:D) but I can see myself spending hours & hours with this one:D:D

Bolivar
10-07-2009, 12:28 AM
I bought Arkham Asylum with my new PS3 & I have to say its easily one of the best games I've played. I'm not that far into it(I got MGS4 too:D) but I can see myself spending hours & hours with this one:D:D

You're in for a real treat then, b/c it just keeps getting better and better after those first few play sessions.

(congrats on MGS4)

sephireland
10-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Highly enjoyable this and the Joker is genuinely funny too.

Shattered Dreamer
10-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Finished the story mode last night & now I intend to go solve the remaining Riddler challenges. Honestly this is one of the best games I've played in many years!