PDA

View Full Version : Have I been duped?

G13
08-30-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm sure this belongs in General Square Enix, but seeing as how Dragon Quest/Warrior is only Enix, I think I'll post it here. (I wouldn't be surprised if this gets moved though)

So, I found Dragon Warrior VII at a used game store earlier today, and being a hardcore RPG fan, I naturally squealed with delight and purchased it. This discs are immaculate, and the case is in alright shape, but one thing that I notice, and am rather annoyed with, is that the manual seems to be missing. I paid full price for this game, and there wasn't an "Incomplete" sticker on it like others I'd seen, so my question is this: Is there even a manual for this game? I realize it's a dumb question but I've never seen a store owner open the case, look directly at the innards, and not put two and two together. Full price for an incomplete game?

If yes, does anyone know where I can find the just the manual? Ebay has nothing, I've tried already.

Iceglow
08-30-2009, 11:17 AM
for lost manuals you can try contacting squenix customer support and see if they can mail it you. I wouldn't say you brought the game pre-owned just say you spilled coke on it or something like that. Games dev's do not like pre-owned games, they prefer you to have done something stupid.

G13
08-30-2009, 11:42 AM
That sounds like a good idea, I'll do that tomorrow. It is an older game though (2000) for the PS1. Are you sure they'll still send one seeing how it's for an "obsolete system"?

JKTrix
08-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Buying games used comes with its risks. Be happy you actually got an otherwise pristine copy!

PDF Manual:
Dragon_Warrior_7_(EN).pdf (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tjyyyjwvjdm)

Do go through with what Iceglow mentioned. I'd be interested to see how they respond.

Bonus - PDF Strategy Guide:
Part 1 - RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting (http://rapidshare.com/files/105233790/Dragon_Warrior_7.part1.rar)
Part 2 - RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting (http://rapidshare.com/files/105234078/Dragon_Warrior_7.part2.rar)

Iceglow
08-31-2009, 12:55 AM
Anything is worth trying once right guys? I know for new games they definitely can do it and I don't doubt somewhere that the manuals are stocked in back piles. The way it works is most likely: The disc is burnt and printed in 1 factory, the case prepared in another and the books/sleeves in a third. This means then that all 3 get shipped to an assembly area to put the games and sleeves/manuals in. I sincerely doubt that the number of copies made are EXACTLY matching sleeves - disks wise because they gotta allow for breakages, rips/tears and also the fact that far easier to damage is the booklets and sleeves. I think there would be more of them and obviously cases (standard ps1 case I'm assuming) than discs what do companies do with all the left over booklets ect, I mean throwing them away is a waste of cash and recycling is expensive too.

G13
08-31-2009, 12:58 AM
I am happy that I got a pristine copy, what I'm not happy about is paying $40 for an incomplete copy. Thanks for the links but I'd rather have the actual manual.

I called the customer support and was told that they no longer carry the owners manuals for Game Boy, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games. So I'm outta there on that one.

I guess I'll try some second-hand stores and maybe some websites. If anyone happens to find one in their internet travels, would you kindly point me in the right direction?

Iceglow
08-31-2009, 01:02 AM
sounds like thats crappy luck on that one then but it is nice to know that there is a slim possibility of other manufacturers still offering the manuals for past systems, though frankly I kinda expected the current gen console thing there. It's a shame but hey what can you do?

Bolivar
08-31-2009, 01:06 AM
sucks they still don't carry ps2 manuals, it's really not that long ago. I guess we're coming up on 3 years of FFXII.

G13
08-31-2009, 01:11 AM
I know right. I was pretty shocked to hear that.

JKTrix
08-31-2009, 02:28 AM
I understand that you would 'rather have a real copy', but I'm afraid a digital scan of the manual is as good as you're going to get. Unless you just buy another copy of Dragon Warrior 7 that specifies it includes the manual. Normal resellers don't exactly stock individual game manuals.

So, here are your options (however viable they may be).

- Return the game. It didn't have the manual and you don't want it without the manual. It was used anyway, so they can take it back again unless there is some policy against it. Since I'm assuming this is a retail store, they probably don't have another copy that has the manual (though you can have them check).

- After returning it, buy the game again online, though it may be tough to get a price better than $40 with 'everything'. But at least you will have 'everything'. If the seller doesn't specify in the description if it comes with the manual, ask them before you order it. There's an ebay sale going right now for a $21 copy of the game with 'everything', but that auction ends in two days and you can probably expect that price to at least triple by the end.

- If the store won't accept the return for some reason, you can still buy another game that comes with the manual, then try to sell off the extra copy you had.

- Game Trading. Somehow, somewhere, you may come across someone who wants to trade their copy of DQ7 for a game you have. If you think it's worth giving up that other game to get this manual, then score. Then you can go ahead and sell your extra copy.

In any case, 'get another copy of the game' is overall the easiest way to get your manual, although if you don't have the money to spend then you may still be stuck.

G13
08-31-2009, 03:41 AM
Returning the game and re-buying it online has crossed my mind, and it seems like one of the only logical choices I have. I guess I'll just do that whenever I get some extra cash.

Shattered Dreamer
08-31-2009, 12:51 PM
sucks they still don't carry ps2 manuals, it's really not that long ago. I guess we're coming up on 3 years of FFXII.

Yeah it would be 3 years of FFXII I got it back in freshman year of college. As for buying 2nd hand games with no manuals its the bane of my existence. I generally only buy 2nd hand these days because I don't have the money for new ones too often & about 6 of the 2nd games I've bought had no manual!

Loony BoB
08-31-2009, 01:13 PM
It's entirely possible that they keep their manuals etc. seperate from boxes and forgot to put it in. If this is the case, they should have it sitting around somewhere. Call and check.

BG-57
08-31-2009, 05:37 PM
I've checked my copy of DW VII and it does have a rather lengthy manual, although of course the strategy guide is much more extensive.

If worst comes to worst, PM me and I can send you my manual since I have the strategy guide anyways.

It's a good game and mildly challenging to win, but mastering all the classes and getting everything is very time-consuming. You need at least two playthroughs to unlock all the final forms of the SimVillage in a single save.

Bolivar
08-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Anyone mentioned buying it off of ebay yet?

edit: I actually got no results, but maybe other online auction sites would be good for this?

BG-57
08-31-2009, 08:59 PM
There has been talk of buying online, which includes ebay by implication.

I see 58 hits for 'Dragon Warrior VII', none for just the manual alone. It's interesting that the strategy guides are selling almost as much as the games are.

G13
09-01-2009, 01:00 AM
I found a copy for $40 on ebay. It says it's in mint condition but I'm skeptical. Should I go for it? I'm tempted to take BG-57 up on that offer, but I know how it is to have a manual-less DW VII, and it's awful.

BG-57
09-01-2009, 01:44 AM
The price sounds reasonable, but what about the copy you already have? Can you return it?

G13
09-01-2009, 01:58 AM
I don't think so. The proprietor is a snob. He'd just look at me and scoff if I asked for my money back.

'Sides, I promised Will this copy if I get a new one. I think he wants to trade for Shadow Hearts Covenant. Hopefully I can get the cash before it gets bought.