PDA

View Full Version : Invincible Team

CelestialStarDust
08-30-2009, 08:53 PM
I've been trying to decide who to put in my party in order to make super powerful! team,but i just don't know who to pick.I've heard good things about all of them.So...who did you guys pick?

Crimson
08-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Squall, Rinoa, Irvine.

CimminyCricket
08-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Squall, Rinoa, Irvine.

Zyphus
08-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Squall, Rinoa, Irvine.

rubah
08-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Rinoa and Irvine aren't quite as ideal for omnilevelling because they start at a higher level than the rest of the party, but I love them the best, sooo...

Squall, Rinoa, Irvine.

Crimson
08-31-2009, 12:20 AM
He/she asked for the strongest party, if your going by pure damage output, this is it.

Rinoa = Wishing Star

Irvine = AP + Pulse Ammo

Squall = Renzokuken.

leader of mortals
08-31-2009, 12:22 AM
Squall, Rinoa, Irvine.

Zell wouldn't be too bad either, I guess.

Elly
08-31-2009, 01:01 AM
Zell's a much better choice than Irvine as he's always a powerhouse when i play compared to all the other characters, Zell is insanely powerfull but can't draw for nothin...

Crimson
08-31-2009, 04:55 AM
Zell's a much better choice than Irvine as he's always a powerhouse when i play compared to all the other characters, Zell is insanely powerfull but can't draw for nothin...

No he isnt, a level 100 Zell with Ultima junctioned onto Strength using Duel still cant beat a level 100 Irvine using with the same junctions using AP/Pulse Ammo.

Even maxed out, Zell's main Duel spams Mach Punch and Drop Kick still cant hit 9999 on any enemy in the game.

And before anyone uses the time limit excuse, to get the most time out of Zell's Duel you need to have Crisis Level 4, while with Irvine, the same randomized time is generated regardless of Crisis level, so you can simply Aura him at max health.

So once again, Squall, Rinoa, Irvine.

CimminyCricket
08-31-2009, 06:45 AM
All this talk has me wanting to play again.

Karifean
08-31-2009, 07:46 AM

No he isnt, a level 100 Zell with Ultima junctioned onto Strength using Duel still cant beat a level 100 Irvine using with the same junctions using AP/Pulse Ammo.

Even maxed out, Zell's main Duel spams Mach Punch and Drop Kick still cant hit 9999 on any enemy in the game.

And before anyone uses the time limit excuse, to get the most time out of Zell's Duel you need to have Crisis Level 4, while with Irvine, the same randomized time is generated regardless of Crisis level, so you can simply Aura him at max health.

*cough* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXWB5jQ_nuY&feature=related)

Rantz
08-31-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah, definitely use Zell if you want to deal crazy damage. The Armageddon Fist (or the alternate version they use in the video with Heel Drop instead of Punch Rush) makes Zell's the most powerful limit break in the game, damage-wise. And he doesn't need any ammo either.

Marky Tee
08-31-2009, 04:21 PM
level up each character indivdualy with all the plus abilities junctioned as you do it (cactuar or tonberry learns these i think) and it wont matter which character you use, not a thing is standing up to you

Loony BoB
08-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Marky Tee is right. This game is so easy to walk through that I finished the final boss fight with barely a touch being made on me - the fact that you can simply make your characters literally invincible while you fight by using the Hero Potions (you can get 100 of these by trading in your Laguna card) means everything is very easy.

My preferred characters for fights were Squall, Zell, Rinoa. Of course, if you want to bring luck into it then Selphie is obviously the most powerful. If you're lucky, you can beat any enemy at all in one 'hit'.

Crimson
08-31-2009, 06:12 PM

*cough* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXWB5jQ_nuY&feature=related)

You just proved my point, did no one notice what I said about Crisis Level 4?

Yes, if that is the case, then go for Zell all the way, but as I said, with Irvine you DONT need to have Crisis Level 4 to achieve great effectiveness.

On a grand scale Irvine --> Zell

On special occasions Zell --> irvine

CelestialStarDust
08-31-2009, 07:46 PM
I heard a rumor that you can make Quistis the third best fighter if you apply her blue magic the right way,but it seems to me like you could go all over the place.

Breine
08-31-2009, 09:01 PM
It's really varied who I use to be honest. Rinoa is good for magic, though, so having her around is never a bad thing.

But honestly, I switch them around and play with everyone.

Elly
09-01-2009, 12:16 AM
when i play i hardly ever go into Limit Breaks, so honestly i have no idea who hits harder when in that status, but i do know when it comes to just plain old physical attacks Zell hits harder than anyone else in the team... it could be because i always junction Ifrit to him but other charcaters also get GF Junctions that add to their physical dammage and still no one compares to Zell for pure raw power, i was always of the opinion that compared to the others Zell was by far the strongest hitter...

Goldenboko
09-01-2009, 02:23 AM
"Special Occasions"? Armageddon Fist is easily OP all the time, with the majority of enemies there's never a reason to take him out of Crisis.

leader of mortals
09-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Also, if you are too lazy to get Pulse ammo, as I am, Zell easily beats Irvine.

Wolf Kanno
09-01-2009, 04:45 AM
You don't need Pulse Ammo, sadly AP ammo can do high damage as well and its not nearly as slow as people say it is plus its way more plentiful...

leader of mortals
09-01-2009, 05:39 AM
Well, maybe "easily" wasn't really correct, but I still think Zell would win.

Crimson
09-01-2009, 06:12 AM

Level 100 Irvine with Ultima junctioned to strength + Fast Ammo.

Irvine ---> Zell, this isnt even a competition.

CimminyCricket
09-01-2009, 06:26 AM
Irvine even has better hair.

Karifean
09-01-2009, 09:46 AM
When fighting Omega Weapon, Irvine can only use AP Ammo ~3 times. Let's say you have 100 AP ammo and each deals an average of 4000 damage. That's 400.000 damage for a battle. Not bad, but what about Zell?

He has four possible starting times:

4.66 seconds (Starting Attack: Punch Rush)
6.66 seconds (Starting Attack: Punch Rush)
9.33 seconds (Starting Attack: Booya)
12 seconds (Starting Attack: Booya)

A person with good reflexes can do an attack in ~0.15 seconds. Without 255 Luck, all hits should deal about 4500 damage at 255 Strength. How many times can you hit in one Limit?

4.66 / 0.15 = 31 hits = 139500 damage
6.66 / 0.15 = 44 hits = 198000 damage
9.33 / 0.15 = 62 hits = 279000 damage
12 / 0.15 = 80 hits = 360000 damage

Aura lowers the chance for 4.66 seconds. With 6.66 seconds we can hit for about the same damage as one Shot with AP Ammo. And the two others will deal greater damage than AP Ammo - without using any ammo. Using Heel Drop instead of Punch Rush all the time will give us about +500 damage each Heel Drop. We get even more damage...

4.66 seconds = ~ +7000 damage = 146500 damage
6.66 seconds = ~ +10500 damage = 208500 damage
9.33 seconds = ~ +15500 damage = 294500 damage
12 seconds = ~ +20000 damage = 380000 damage

If we're lucky (luck status helps too), we get 12 seconds and can do about as much damage as Irvine's whole AP ammo! The only time, with which we'd be worse than Irvine's Shot would be the 4.66. Of course, Irvine can also get critical hits. But he still couldn't match a Zell with 9.33 seconds. I didn't count Zell's crits because the player could also make a mistake sometimes and lose some time. Yes, we need a bit of luck to get a good time, but Irvine does too.

So Zell can easily deal more damage than Irvine.

Zell ---> Irvine, this isn't even a competition.

ReloadPsi
09-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Well I'm gonna go over each character in terms of usefulness in a boss fight here. Random encounters in this game are so pathetically easy that individual skills don't even come into it.

I like Zell best as a party member. Going by the odds of more random things such as Lionheart or Wishing Star ever actually happening (they're always been super rare for me) Zell can do more damage in a single turn than anybody else, but requires a lot of patience on the player's part to do it. Karifean's preceding post very objectively proves this; the so-called "Armageddon Fist" is the single most powerful move in the game.

Quistis is quite versatile for her ability to use White Wind, Mighty Guard, Degenerator (leave her HP low and she can end many encounters in a single turn... okay, I lied, I mentioned encounters) and Shockwave Pulsar (not particularly hard to obtain, just requires half an hour's farming).

Rinoa's best damage through my experience is to max out her Magic with 100 Meteors, load her down with curative spells for buffing her HP, Vitality and Spirit, then have someone else cast Aura on her. Then Angel Wing + Meteor = 60,000 damage total per turn guaranteed. Wishing Star can SMO, it doesn't come out often enough to be worth trying for.

Irvine's Shot ability is all right... I'm trying to think of something that makes it better than the others though, it ain't coming to me. Quick Shot is extremely powerful if you Meltdown the opponent first, but then it runs out of ammo too fast. Having Tonberry with Call Shop is essential, especially once you run out of items to refine (and if you're like me and you like to spam Quick Shot because it's so freakin' fun, you will)

Selphie, nobody cares. Sure she can cast spells for free but I know very few people who ever actually use any of the spells outside of Aura and Curaga.

I like to take Squall and Zell, then use either Quistis or Rinoa for support. Irvine's a novelty for me really (that's not a bad thing, I do like Irvine a lot, but if he's in my party he's also on support until there's an opening for him to attack), and Selphie's only ever Junctioned with a Cactuar that knows Str-J, Str+60% and Kamikaze.

Loony BoB
09-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Selphie, nobody cares. Sure she can cast spells for free but I know very few people who ever actually use any of the spells outside of Aura and Curaga.
I really don't understand how this is the only other mention of Selphie in this thread when she has a move which (quite literally) makes you win the battle without any effort. It's the most powerful atttack in the game! Too powerful, admittedly, but that's why it hardly ever shows up (unless you know the trick with the ol' PS1, that is...). I still don't use her because it's such a hassle to get that attack to come up and it just seems too easy when you use it. No satisfaction, you know?

ReloadPsi
09-01-2009, 10:25 AM
I really don't understand how this is the only other mention of Selphie in this thread when she has a move which (quite literally) makes you win the battle without any effort. It's the most powerful atttack in the game! Too powerful, admittedly, but that's why it hardly ever shows up (unless you know the trick with the ol' PS1, that is...). I still don't use her because it's such a hassle to get that attack to come up and it just seems too easy when you use it. No satisfaction, you know?

Yeah, you pretty much summed it up. Nearly every player feels that way. Besides, since I'm not the cheating type who likes to open the disc tray, The End has only ever come up when I didn't need it.

By the way, can somebody please tell me where they're getting this near-limitless supply of Pulse Ammo? Farming Energy Crystals takes too long in this game as the enemies that actually drop them are very rare (except at one point on disc 3), and farming Power Generators seems more like a childish fantasy.

Goldenboko
09-01-2009, 11:43 AM

Level 100 Irvine with Ultima junctioned to strength + Fast Ammo.

Irvine ---> Zell, this isnt even a competition.

Duel Armageddon Fist is better than Pulse Ammo, Fast Ammo, and every other type of Ammo. And if you're removing your party from Critical, you're doing it WRONG. xD

Ultima Shadow
09-01-2009, 08:06 PM
While this has been debated enough already, I'd just like to say...

Armageddon Fist has already been mentioned, but it all really comes down to how fast you can time and pull off the two button-presses needed to do the "Armageddon Fist". With irvine it may be more simple: all you need to do is to spam on a button. Everyone will do about the same amount with Irvine, since he got a "cooldown" time after each shot. Zell doesn't have anything like that, and the speed is only limited by the player. It's 100% possible to do more damage with Zell at the lowest time-limit (4.66 seconds) than Irvine has any possibility of ever doing. At the two higher time limits, Zell's Duel easily beats Squall's Lion Heart if you can pull off the button presses at even a decent speed and time them right.

Meltdown is the second best spell in the game. Use it. Sure, even then Zell will only hit for like... 8500-9000 and 9999 only on criticals... but it doesn't really matter much if it's 8769 or 9999 when you pull off 40+ blows. The damage will be crazy and far above Irvine's potential either way.

...now, putting that aside, I personally take Irvine over Zell anyday because of the simple fact that Irvine's limit break isn't like watching a turtle-race in slowmotion. Yes, Zell has the potential to do the most damage in the game by far. It's possible to fit 8 Lion hearts into a single Duel but... no one takes as much time between each hit as Zell does. If you want to pull off a 700,000 damage+ combo with Zell, prepare to be bored to death. It will take a freaking hour of just pressing those two button combinations over and over. Irvine may only have a fragment of Zell's damage potential, but at least he gets it over with fast. By the time Zell finally finishes his first "Armageddon Fist", Irvine could already have killed Omega four times over with repeated limit breaks.

ReloadPsi
09-01-2009, 10:47 PM
By the time Zell finally finishes his first "Armageddon Fist", Irvine could already have killed Omega four times over with repeated limit breaks.

Assuming he never runs out of ammo.

Goldenboko
09-01-2009, 10:50 PM
But, but OHKO's... :whimper:

rubah
09-01-2009, 11:10 PM
By the time Zell finally finishes his first "Armageddon Fist", Irvine could already have killed Omega four times over with repeated limit breaks.

I think US counted in refining time ;))))

Shattered Dreamer
09-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Level 99 Squall with Lionheart & proper junctions is all the destroying power you'll ever need everyone else is just supporting cast!

Ultima Shadow
09-05-2009, 10:10 PM
After meltdown, Irvine's AP Shot and Demolition Shot both do 9999, critical or not. 100 ammo x 9999 = almost exactly 1 million damage. Add the damage from the meltdown spell, and you'll have slightly over 1 million. Omega's HP = 1,161,000, which means about 161,000 remains after 100 x AP Shots. 17 x Demolition Shots after that and Omega's dead. 1 x Cactuar Needle (very easy to get lots of) refines into 30 AP ammos and, assuming it would be possible to fight Omega 4 times in a row, you'd only need to restock on the AP ammo inbetween the 4 fights.

Now, I'm not entierly sure Irvine would actually be able to pull exactly 4 off (most likely not, it was an overexaggeration), but just for the fun of it I'll try doing an average equation:

Now, using "Normal Shots" over Demolition is actually faster and works as well, so I'll use Normal + AP in the euation instead of AP + Demolition.

Irvine can pull off 2 Normal Shots in 1.5 seconds. Each Normal Shot will do around 4500 damage usually, and 9999 on critical. Assuming around 1/2 of the shots are criticals, let's say the average damage from normal shots are about 6700.

For AP Shots, each shot takes about 1 second. Slightly more, so let's say 1.2 seconds. Each Shot always does 9999.

Zell looping his two moves required for Armageddon Fists takes around 6 seconds each loop ( 6 seconds for 9999 x 2 ).

Let's say Irvine wastes all his Normal shots first. 100 x Normal Shots = 75 seconds. 100 x Normal = 670,000 damage. That's over half Omega's HP. Of course, you can't shot all 100 shots in one go, so it will take more than 75 seconds overall. But it's a starting point.

The required remaining damage = 491,000 = 50 x AP Ammo = around 60 seconds.

Total amount of seconds (if you could go on shoting without any pause inbetween) = 135 seconds.

Zell = an average of 3 seconds for each 9999 hit = 117 hits x 3 = 331 seconds.

Going by this alone, Irvine could kill Omega twice in 270 seconds and still have 61 seconds to spare.

Zell does, however, have the advantage of being able to keep punching all the way while Irvine must activate limit multiple times which takes some additional seconds. But with maxed speed and Auto-Haste, Irvine can pull off multiple limit breaks extremely fast and at a speed that should prevent Omega from getting to Terra Break. If Omega uses his random physical attacks a lot early on, that will buy Irvine lots of time as well since they only take like 2 seconds for Omega to pull off. Meteor is the only real time-waster Omega should have time to throw at Irvine.

...it MIGHT be possible for Irvine to kill Omega twice by the time Zell kills Omega once, if you have maxed luck or something and can make most of the Normal Shots hit for 9999. Also, I'm not sure... but Quick Shots might also speed things up for Irvine and maybe even scatter shots since those, too, trigger at the same speed as Normal Shots, which are the most effective ones if you can get frequent criticals in. Also, assuming you can refine the new ammo extremely fast. That Irvine can kill Omega faster than Zell once, at least, is a fact. And it's more entertaining to spam a button than pressing two 2-button combos 117 times. =P

Useless and utterly irrelevant information, I know, but it was fun doing the calculations. =D

Karifean
09-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Correction: AP Ammo does NOT deal 9999 damage each hit when you cast Meltdown - no! Not by far! Irvine deals ~4500 damage per Shot when using Quick Shot, and therefore he can only deal a maximum of 450.000 HP - that's less than Omega Weapon's half HP. When using Normal Shot, each shot takes about 3x times the amount of time, but deals, let's say 5000 damage. That's 500.000 HP gone. Some criticals (say you haven't got a high luck stat) can easily increase that up to 550.000 and beyond. So we've got a million. Assuming we get criticals often (example: 100 Ultima junctioned to Luck with Luck + 50%), we may just be able to defeat Omega Weapon.

So yes, Irvine can deal more damage in real time, but in "game-time", so each round, Zell can deal much more damage. And Irvine has a limit of doing so - unlike Zell.

Of course, you can take the liberty of maxing your Luck stat to 255 and make the critical hit chance 100%, (like the guy in the video i posted did), to get about 9000-9500 damage each Quick Shot. But I definitely won't spend weeks and weeks of bringing Siren to Lv 100, get 100 claws of curse (are they called this in english?), make them a dark matter and then a luck plus - no thanks.

Wolf Kanno
09-06-2009, 09:15 AM
I think the one thing everyone is missing here is that Zell requires the player to be slightly on the ball and in a society where we are all lazy gamers, Irvine wins cause it requires moving one finger and its a bit more leisurely. Besides, blowing :bou::bou::bou::bou: up looks cooler than watching Zell posture as he does the same two boring hits over and over. :p Seriously, I watched the Armageddon Fist video for a minute before I lost interest. Winning shouldn't count if it isn't glorious. :colbert:

Ultima Shadow
09-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Correction: AP Ammo does NOT deal 9999 damage each hit when you cast Meltdown - no! Not by far! Irvine deals ~4500 damage per Shot when using Quick Shot, and therefore he can only deal a maximum of 450.000 HP - that's less than Omega Weapon's half HP. When using Normal Shot, each shot takes about 3x times the amount of time, but deals, let's say 5000 damage. That's 500.000 HP gone. Some criticals (say you haven't got a high luck stat) can easily increase that up to 550.000 and beyond. So we've got a million. Assuming we get criticals often (example: 100 Ultima junctioned to Luck with Luck + 50%), we may just be able to defeat Omega Weapon.

So yes, Irvine can deal more damage in real time, but in "game-time", so each round, Zell can deal much more damage. And Irvine has a limit of doing so - unlike Zell.

Of course, you can take the liberty of maxing your Luck stat to 255 and make the critical hit chance 100%, (like the guy in the video i posted did), to get about 9000-9500 damage each Quick Shot. But I definitely won't spend weeks and weeks of bringing Siren to Lv 100, get 100 claws of curse (are they called this in english?), make them a dark matter and then a luck plus - no thanks.
Tell that to my Irvine, because he apparently doesn't understand that his AP Ammo is supposed to ever deal less than 9999 on a meltdowned foe. I tested it out just now on a Grendel and a T-Rexsaur. Every single hit did 9999, and no... each hit wasn't a critical. Since meltdown reduces defense to 0, it doesn't really matter if you attack Omega Weapon or a Bite Bug as long as it's melted down.

Secondly, 4500 is actually the critical damage for quick shots. Non-criticals do around 2000. But considering how fast it is, it might still be a good option for Irvine.

Even with average luck, the critical hit chances are very high for Irvine's limit break. I don't have any ridicolously high luck with him, yet at the very least 1/3 of his limit break hits are all criticals, and that's when I don't even have Luck + 50% junctioned. So 670,000 is more accurate than 500,000 for the Normal Shots.

Since we are assuming the best possibilities for Zell, making sure he gets what he needs to finish Omega in a single move, let's assume the best possibilities for Irvine as well.

Karifean
09-06-2009, 01:38 PM
To add it all up:

Zell is ridiculously strong IF you have the time and patience to wait an entire Armageddon Fist - an AF with 255 Luck, 255 Attack and ~.05 seconds interval can One-Hit (well... actually ~117-Hit... oh well One-Limit) Omega Weapon.

Irvine is very very strong, even without waiting minutes for one Armageddon Fist. Yet, he has a limit of 100 shots for each ammo.

Meltdown reduces the enemy's defense stat to 0, making each enemy equally vulnerable.

The chance for a critical hit is
(Luck + 1) / 256

Luck can only be leveled up by farming till you get 1 Dark Matter which can be converted into 1 Luck Plus.

The time you have in your limit break depends on your HP and on whether you're in Aura status or not.

Getting ~0.05 second-intervals in Armageddon Fist requires either extreme reflexes or simply a command-controller which lets you program commands. Using a command-controller, Armageddon Fist and Quick Shot are about equially hard, as you only have to constantly press one button at either limit break.

AP ammo is probably the best ammo for Irvine, as it is more than 5x faster than Pulse Ammo, and about 3x faster than Normal Ammo and can therefore deal some serious damage.

(Renzokuken + Lion Heart at 255 Strength can deals from 208.750 to 250.085 damage, but will only happen rarely. Deals about as much damage as one Quick Shot Limit Break without a limit, but happens, as already said, quite rarely.)

Ultima Shadow
09-06-2009, 02:08 PM
To add it all up:

Zell is ridiculously strong IF you have the time and patience to wait an entire Armageddon Fist - an AF with 255 Luck, 255 Attack and ~.05 seconds interval can One-Hit (well... actually ~117-Hit... oh well One-Limit) Omega Weapon.
Agree on everything here, except Zell doesn't actually need luck since each hit deals 9999 or very close to 9999 even if they aren't criticals.

Irvine is very very strong, even without waiting minutes for one Armageddon Fist. Yet, he has a limit of 100 shots for each ammo.

He got several kinds of ammo that are very effective though, each of which can be stocked up to 100. Irvine should only ever need to use, Quick, Normal and a few AP Shots to kill Omega, so the 100 limit isn't that much of a hindrance.

Meltdown reduces the enemy's defense stat to 0, making each enemy equally vulnerable.Exactly. And when I tried my 255 str, best weapon Irvine's AP shots on meltdowned foes, they all did 9999.

The chance for a critical hit is
(Luck + 1) / 256
That's for normal attacks though, right? I got no proof, but my Irvine certainly gets more criticals during his limitbreaks than during his normal attacks.

Luck can only be leveled up by farming till you get 1 Dark Matter which can be converted into 1 Luck Plus.Yeah, and no one sane does that so let's just say he gets the highest possible Luck trough simple junctioning. Still, considering how often I get criticals during Irvine's limitbreaks, I'd say he can get close to 50% criticals with the maximum possible luck trough junctioning.

The time you have in your limit break depends on your HP and on whether you're in Aura status or not.
Yup. And since any normal human being would need Zell's highest time limit to OHKO Omega, let's assume Irvine gets his highest time limits as well. Irvine can fire around 60 Quick Shots during the 12 second limit and 22 Normal Shots.

Getting ~0.05 second-intervals in Armageddon Fist requires either extreme reflexes or simply a command-controller which lets you program commands. Using a command-controller, Armageddon Fist and Quick Shot are about equially hard, as you only have to constantly press one button at either limit break.Nothing to add.

AP ammo is probably the best ammo for Irvine, as it is more than 5x faster than Pulse Ammo, and about 3x faster than Normal Ammo and can therefore deal some serious damage. You mean Quick. AP is more powerful, but much slower than Normal Ammo. Now, I certainly wouldn't have minded an AP ammo that's 3 x as fast as Pulse though. xD

(Renzokuken + Lion Heart at 255 Strength can deals from 208.750 to 250.085 damage, but will only happen rarely. Deals about as much damage as one Quick Shot Limit Break without a limit, but happens, as already said, quite rarely.)
And yes, if it was POSSIBLE to get Lion Heart each time, Squall would most certainly beat everyone else speed-wise.

Loony BoB
09-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Well, if you guys are going to get this anal about who is better, I'm just gonna bring up the Selphie card again and trump you both. She deals the equivalent of 9901209672346234625756723452346 damage with her lovely best limit break and if you know what you're doing then you should be able to get it... somehow. :shifty:

Who cares, though, really? You can walk through this game!

Karifean
09-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, if you guys are going to get this anal about who is better, I'm just gonna bring up the Selphie card again and trump you both. She deals the equivalent of 9901209672346234625756723452346 damage with her lovely best limit break and if you know what you're doing then you should be able to get it... somehow. :shifty:

uh, you do know that selphie's The End... limit break deals exactly 0 damage - it inflicts Death status with 100% probability and ignores Status Defense. But Zombie-Status ALWAYS negates Death, even when it ignores Stat Def, so it'll never work on Zombies.

@Ultima Shadow:

1. Look at the vid i posted. He's got 255 Luck, and STILL doesn't do 9999 damage each hit.

2./3. Oh darn, I'm SO stupid! I play the german version of the game - whenever I said AP, i actually meant quick^^

3. Is AP the ammo you can get by converting Tonberry Knifes? If so, it actually ignores the Def stat (Pulse Ammo does as well).

Ultima Shadow
09-07-2009, 06:26 PM

...anal? *cough*

Well, Selphie can't get The End 100% of the time unless you cheat though PLUS she can't kill undead monsters with it. =P

Oh, but it's fun to discuss stuff like this! Even if it can end up a bit anal at times. ;)

@Ultima Shadow:

1. Look at the vid i posted. He's got 255 Luck, and STILL doesn't do 9999 damage each hit.

2./3. Oh darn, I'm SO stupid! I play the german version of the game - whenever I said AP, i actually meant quick^^

3. Is AP the ammo you can get by converting Tonberry Knifes? If so, it actually ignores the Def stat (Pulse Ammo does as well).
1) Oh, interesting. Yeah, Zell only does 9999 on criticals. That's also what I was thinking at first, but then I checked out another video where he did 9999 like... 90% of the time. I'll see if I can find that video and link to it later.

2) Well, that certainly clears up a whole lot of the confusion around AP aka "Armor Piercing" and "Quick Shot". xD

3) Yes, that's the one. Oh, yeah that makes sense considering its name. So... meltdown isn't needed for those in other words.

CelestialStarDust
09-10-2009, 02:32 AM

screw it all.i'm just gonna use whoever happens to pop into my head :p

Loony BoB
09-10-2009, 01:11 PM
You'll be fine. :) FFVIII was, for me, the easiest of all of the FF's to complete.

Ultima Shadow
09-10-2009, 05:49 PM
That's completely true. Even the so-called "super bosses" in FFVIII are total pushovers.

Our little debate was just over a "principle". :p

CelestialStarDust
09-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Our little debate was just over a "principle". :p

But it was a very fun and informative debate.I think I now know anything worth knowing about the battle system of ffVIII now haha

Kyros
09-15-2009, 07:28 AM
squall, rinoa, zell

Zell can pull off a bajillion attacks in his limit time span on his limit break while ending with a big hit if you want him to. Rinoa gives invincibility. Squall is main chara dont really need to say much else about him b/c he has main character powers.

Junction so youre immune to all status effects, attack with pretty much all of them, and absorb all elements. You can also junction so youre as fast as having autohaste without actually having the status buff.

RoxasLeonhart
09-16-2009, 04:32 AM
Squall best limit break is with his loinheart gunblade 10 daMge

-kuri-
09-16-2009, 06:08 AM
My primary team consists of Squall, Rinoa, and Zell. I'm not a big magic oriented person. I literally like hacking things to death with a weapon because its fun. Of course, I also enjoy using a Squall-Irvine-Zell combo or a Squall-Rinoa-Irvine combo depending how gun-ho I feel at the moment.

I prefer using Zell over Irvine at times because I find that I get more hits with Zell since I'm used to Armegeddon Fist and how fast you have to be to press the buttons. but of course, Irvine has quick shot...which is extremely fun. Unloading 10+ shots on a boss. Just priceless.

Every character has their own advantages and disadvantages. It all depends on what you like. just build it to your liking. =D

Kyros
09-16-2009, 08:37 PM
I prefer using Zell over Irvine at times because I find that I get more hits with Zell since I'm used to Armegeddon Fist and how fast you have to be to press the buttons. but of course, Irvine has quick shot...which is extremely fun. Unloading 10+ shots on a boss. Just priceless.

Every character has their own advantages and disadvantages. It all depends on what you like. just build it to your liking. =D

I'm not trying to pick on you but I think this is why a lot of people choose Irvine. Instead to hitting people with several shots with Irvine though I prefer Zell b/c even though Irvine's limit is good I prefer Zell b/c of these reasons in particular:

-if it werent for Irvine's name I would have thought he was an annoying, flat chested, lesbian (no joke)
-Zell can hit 30+ times in 1 limit easy
-I don't like guns

-kuri-
09-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah...that's probably a reason why I would choose him in battle but like you also said, its possible to get 15+ hits on one Zell limit break, which is why I like his limit break better.

I guess its up to the person...if they are coordinated with buttons or if they are fast with the R1 trigger.

CelestialStarDust
09-18-2009, 06:22 AM
Yeah...that's probably a reason why I would choose him in battle but like you also said, its possible to get 15+ hits on one Zell limit break, which is why I like his limit break better.

I guess its up to the person...if they are coordinated with buttons or if they are fast with the R1 trigger.

but all you have to do is MASH the r1 trigger...

Kyros
09-18-2009, 07:39 AM

but all you have to do is MASH the r1 trigger...

and all you have to do is roll your finger across buttons for zell which takes only like .3 (probably less once you get the timing down) off his timer for each attack, and it gives you 15+ sec so yeah I'm pretty sure thats the reason Zells better :D