PDA

View Full Version : Disney buys Marvel

Vermachtnis
08-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Disney buys Marvel for $4-billion (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/disney-buys-marvel-for-4-billion/article1270467/)

So, what do y'all think of this? I just hope Disney just puts their name on it and leaves the thing alone.

Peegee
08-31-2009, 06:33 PM
I don't remember anything. Does Marvel follow the comic code authority (the fictional non existing regulation agency)?

Marvel by itself (IIRC) doesn't have obtuse violence, swearing, and 'adult situations' (teh prons). So I don't see any difference unless suddenly they start producing several lines of mickey mouse comics. And that's not that bad =)

Dante WolfWood
08-31-2009, 06:37 PM
sora, goofy, and wolverine in new KH? Yes, please.

Quindiana Jones
08-31-2009, 06:51 PM
I always thought the X-Men needed more racism. /hohohoDisneyjoke

My opinion is probably pretty common. I don't care. So long as they don't make everything :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Having said that, I don't follow anything Marvel anyway (other than the occasional game), so I don't really care anyway. xD

I would also enjoy seeing Cyclops rape everyone in a KH game.

Crimson
08-31-2009, 07:10 PM
I've lost all faith in you now Marvel.

Enjoy your Hannah Montana superhero accompanied by Jonas Brothers :bou::bou::bou::bou: fight music.

Breine
08-31-2009, 08:57 PM
As long as they don't mess around with Marvel and do strange stuff, it's fine by me.

LunarWeaver
08-31-2009, 10:33 PM
...and the upcoming X-Men Origins: Magneto and X-Men Origins: Wolverine 2...

Well this is what worries me, not Disney.

black orb
08-31-2009, 10:35 PM
>>> Money is evil..

TheAbominatrix
08-31-2009, 10:59 PM
Eh, I guess we'll see. I was pretty flipped when Disney acquired the Muppets, but their output with that name has yet to spawn anything completely awful (save for Kermit's Swamp years) and I do enjoy the Muppets 3-D attraction at Disneyland. They haven't seemed to have messed with it much and that sharp Muppet humor seems to still be there, but they have a nasty habit of putting CG into Muppet films which kind of defeats the purpose.

I haven't purchased a Marvel comic in ages, and I havent really been impressed with the latest Marvel movies, so I'll hold my flip out until I see what they do with it. The last X-Men film was garbage, as was the last Spider-man, so I dont think they can screw those up too badly. But we shall see, Disney really knows how to completely ruin stuff.

NeoCracker
08-31-2009, 11:22 PM
Eh, I guess we'll see. I was pretty flipped when Disney acquired the Muppets, but their output with that name has yet to spawn anything completely awful (save for Kermit's Swamp years) and I do enjoy the Muppets 3-D attraction at Disneyland. They haven't seemed to have messed with it much and that sharp Muppet humor seems to still be there, but they have a nasty habit of putting CG into Muppet films which kind of defeats the purpose.

I haven't purchased a Marvel comic in ages, and I havent really been impressed with the latest Marvel movies, so I'll hold my flip out until I see what they do with it. The last X-Men film was garbage, as was the last Spider-man, so I dont think they can screw those up too badly. But we shall see, Disney really knows how to completely ruin stuff.

If by last X-men movie you mean III, that wasnt Marvel, and neither was Spiderman. Now Wolverine Origins, that was marvel. As was Iron man and the newest Hulk movie.

But on topic, so long as they leave marvel alone, it's all good.

TheAbominatrix
08-31-2009, 11:31 PM
If by last X-men movie you mean III, that wasnt Marvel, and neither was Spiderman. Now Wolverine Origins, that was marvel. As was Iron man and the newest Hulk movie.

Really? I did not know that. That changes my opinion of Marvel a bit, even if Origins was still garbage xD. Thanks for the info <3

NeoCracker
08-31-2009, 11:33 PM

Really? I did not know that. That changes my opinion of Marvel a bit, even if Origins was still garbage xD. Thanks for the info <3

Aperently they got really pissed off at people ruining their characters and just bought back all their movie rights. And no problem. ;p

Madame Adequate
09-01-2009, 12:05 AM
After the debacles of Civil War and *shudder* One More Day I honestly don't see how Disney could do anything negative to Marvel.

NeoCracker
09-01-2009, 12:08 AM
After the debacles of Civil War and *shudder* One More Day I honestly don't see how Disney could do anything negative to Marvel.

But just imagine what the Marvel execs will do to Disney.

Nice
09-01-2009, 06:02 AM
Holy Sh/t they did it.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Teddy and Billy smexiness in KH? :P The only thing I have ever read from Marvel was Young Avengers cuz my friend lent them to me. I wonder if she knows about this. Must find out...

G13
09-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Disney has bought Marvel? Seriously, that sounds just awful.

Doesn't that mean that the comics will be affected too, not just the movies?

No good can come of this. I like Disney, but they don't do very well with things they didn't originally create.

charliepanayi
09-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Disney has bought Marvel? Seriously, that sounds just awful.

Doesn't that mean that the comics will be affected too, not just the movies?

Of course it doesn't necessarily mean that, people are going overboard over this, Disney have probably bought Marvel because they see it as a good source of revenue, not because they want to poke their nose in to everything that Marvel does and change it to suit their own clearly evil designs. Besides to take an example Pixar are part of Disney and it hasn't exactly affected their output adversely.

G13
09-01-2009, 09:11 AM
That's a good point, but Disney didn't buy Pixar, they just collaborated together. If Disney bought Marvel then chances are they're gonna put their name on it. I would think anything with their name on it that isn't kid friendly would ruin their image. I'm not saying they have an evil master plan to ruin Marvel, but most likely changes will be made.

Edit: I guess Disney did buy Pixar. I guess it still wouldn't matter though. I don't think I've ever seen anything bad come out of Pixar.

Timekeeper
09-01-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't really like the sound of this. It just doesn't seem right...

Shauna
09-01-2009, 12:28 PM
:roll:

I am amused at people thinking that Disney are going to force change upon Marvel. :p The Walt Disney Company own a ton of smaller companies, not all of them "family friendly". So just chill, guys. Your precious Marvel will be safe from the evil, super cute and magical clutches of Disney. :p

cloud_doll
09-01-2009, 12:53 PM
yeah, even though it does kinda suck, Disney buys crap all the time because they want moneyyyy.
ya never know though.

Unbreakable Will
09-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Anyone else half expecting a Mickey Mouse voiced super hero? Hoho thought we uh, had a problem here, hoho. SWOOSH

Slothy
09-01-2009, 01:13 PM
If Disney bought Marvel then chances are they're gonna put their name on it. I would think anything with their name on it that isn't kid friendly would ruin their image. I'm not saying they have an evil master plan to ruin Marvel, but most likely changes will be made.

Why would they put their name on anything Marvel? Slapping their name on the comics would put off fans because they'd think Disney was going to swoop in a meddle in Marvel business, and slapping their names on the movies would just make no sense given Disney's rep for more kid friendly stuff. It also wouldn't make sense considering Marvel already owns their own production company.

I'd be willing to bet money that not only will you not see "Disney presents Iron Man 2" anytime soon, you'll also never even notice that they have any connection to Marvel period.

It seriously amazes me when people automatically assume that once a company is purchased they'll see the parent meddling with a very successful formula. I find it telling of just how little the average person knows about business.

charliepanayi
09-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Let's take a simple case - the film studio Miramax. Owned by Disney. And they've made or distributed films like Pulp Fiction and Trainspotting. These are hardly kiddie friendly!

Shauna
09-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Anyone else half expecting a Mickey Mouse voiced super hero? Hoho thought we uh, had a problem here, hoho. SWOOSH

Not really. I mean the guy who voiced Mickey Mouse for a long time is dead... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8060619.stm) But really, that's ridiculous, the above two posts speak truth. :D

Unbreakable Will
09-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Not really. I mean the guy who voiced Mickey Mouse for a long time is dead... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8060619.stm) But really, that's ridiculous, the above two posts speak truth. :D
Heh im not really expecting it, twas a joke my dear Spongegar

Shauna
09-01-2009, 04:44 PM
I know. xD I was just destroying your joke with the truth! :(

VexNet
09-01-2009, 05:12 PM
as long as they keep their mits off of the upcoming Deadpool movie, I don't really have a problem with it.

Seeing Disney already owning Miramax [as mentioned before in this topic] which released some very not child friendly films, makes me feel a lot more at ease.

but because Marvel Entertainment are part of the comics industry which has a large market of children/teens, It's not particularly hard to see Disney stepping in to make Marvel head the direction that Disney wants it to move in.

Unbreakable Will
09-01-2009, 05:14 PM
^ OMG there's a Deadpool movie coming up? I love Deadpool, he's such a smartass

Raistlin
09-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Why would they put their name on anything Marvel? Slapping their name on the comics would put off fans because they'd think Disney was going to swoop in a meddle in Marvel business, and slapping their names on the movies would just make no sense given Disney's rep for more kid friendly stuff. It also wouldn't make sense considering Marvel already owns their own production company.

I'd be willing to bet money that not only will you not see "Disney presents Iron Man 2" anytime soon, you'll also never even notice that they have any connection to Marvel period.

It seriously amazes me when people automatically assume that once a company is purchased they'll see the parent meddling with a very successful formula. I find it telling of just how little the average person knows about business.

This post speaks the truth. Disney is a company and they bought Marvel in order to make money from it, not out of a desire to change it or destroy it.

scrumpleberry
09-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Ahahahahaha oh dear this ought to be fun.

Seeing as I don't really think either of them can do more "selling out" or w/e (not a bad thing but I do think both companies have exploited all of their franchises to the point where it can't get any worse) I'll probably just find any "messing around" - and consequent fan rants - quite funny.

Aydin
09-01-2009, 07:39 PM
I'd love to see Hannah Montana teamed up with the X Men...

That'd be tight yo... Hannah Montana would have the power of music!

G13
09-02-2009, 04:46 AM
If Disney bought Marvel then chances are they're gonna put their name on it. I would think anything with their name on it that isn't kid friendly would ruin their image. I'm not saying they have an evil master plan to ruin Marvel, but most likely changes will be made.

Uh... chill.

You may be right, Disney might not do anything, but it's my right to be wary.

Unbreakable Will
09-02-2009, 05:17 AM

Uh... chill.

You may be right, Disney might not do anything, but it's my right to be wary.
The Rage of the Guardian, do not invoke it o.O

Meow
09-02-2009, 05:38 AM
no guys get serious, disney obviously spent four billion dollars on marvel because they wanted to drop mickey mouse into x-men comics like he was the damned atom bomb

Rye
09-02-2009, 06:00 AM
no guys get serious, disney obviously spent four billion dollars on marvel because they wanted to drop mickey mouse into x-men comics like he was the damned atom bomb

That would probably actually rock.

http://tvgawker.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/southpark-micky-fire.jpg

G13
09-02-2009, 09:05 AM
^ Only if he had the Keyblade and Organization XIII robe.

The Rage of the Guardian, do not invoke it o.O

That's the name of my limit break. I'll use it if I have to. :colbert:

Unbreakable Will
09-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Hahaha, I freaking love it ^

Rodarian
09-02-2009, 01:44 PM

This post speaks the truth. Disney is a company and they bought Marvel in order to make money from it, not out of a desire to change it or destroy it.

I agree with the statement... Like Tata Motors(India) owns Range Rover and Jaguar ....The set up is the same...It only that company has now gained a foot hole in the European Markets...

Still I can't help but to imagine this...

Disney's Princesses VS. The Women of X-Men'

I'd pay good money to see this!!

charliepanayi
09-12-2009, 10:38 PM
YouTube - Marvel/DC: Disney Buys Marvel (Parody) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyYb_r4cZHE)

This should be the final word on it really.