PDA

View Full Version : Magitek Armor... kinda, maybe?

Ultimage
08-31-2009, 06:57 PM
So, in the newest interview done by Famitsu Wave, Tanaka says “There may, perhaps, be something similar to Magitek Armor possibly, to some extent.”

I read it at Eorzeapedia, so that's where I'm linking to. Eorzeapedia: Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV, FF14) News, Wiki, Forums, Community and more » Famitsu WaveDVD: Hiro and Hama’s Little Chat (http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2009/08/31/famitsu-wavedvd-hiro-and-hamas-little-chat/)

Mogi
08-31-2009, 09:23 PM
That would be pretty neat, actually. I had an idea for a Job, something like an Engineer, who would function as a restricted summoner and weapon crafter. They could use parts to build robots or fix and build weapons. Magitekesque armor would tie into that idea wonderfully.

Loony BoB
09-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I'll reserve judgement 'til I see how they're implemented/costed/etc and, of course, to see how balanced they are with everything else in the game. I'm kinda hoping that they aren't used in regular fields as I always enjoy the idea that it's yourselves, not some massive armour, that is doing the hard work on the battlefield.

Wolf Kanno
09-01-2009, 06:22 PM
I see it working two ways, either a vehicle with magic based systems that can be used on special occasions or something akin to real armor with the Magitech Armors story significance. Thus it's great gear that amplifies magical power.

Its an interesting idea. I'll wait to hear more.

Crimson
09-01-2009, 06:28 PM
inb4FinalfantasyXIIIGundam

Calarandir
09-27-2009, 01:12 AM
I think it's probably going to work as armour aimed at mages, though with a lot of story abd quests behind it's creation and how it ties in with the world. Hwever I would quite like it to be powerful armour for all classes made by crafting only. Basically some really hard to obtain armour that was either more powerful than other armour you'd be able to get at that point, or just looked really cool.

Skyblade
09-27-2009, 09:17 PM
As long as it's not just going to be a rip-off of WoW's vehicle system.

Rostum
09-27-2009, 10:53 PM
As long as it's not just going to be a rip-off of WoW's vehicle system.

There is this misconception that WoW did everything first in the MMO world - which is not the case. There were mounts in previous MMO's.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it is implemented. I think in an interview recently they did state that the world could easily compare to FFVI.

Mirage
09-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah, if FF introduced "flying mounts" in FF14 they'd also be accused of copying WoW, even though you had flying chocobos as far back as Final Fantasy 4.

Loony BoB
09-28-2009, 10:21 AM
You can play online? With other people? In a game?

Ripping off World of Warcraft.

Jiro
09-28-2009, 11:08 AM
There are a lot of little idiots who haven't known anything other than WoW who are going to complain at anything and everything. The idea sounds interesting, though I'm with BoB - you gotta see how it's implemented before you can pass judgement on it :)

VeloZer0
09-28-2009, 01:26 PM
It seems almost every major innovation in gaming first appeared in some less than blockbuster game that no one remembers. What people always remember is the first game that did it really well.

Loony BoB
09-28-2009, 01:38 PM
No - often the first games do the implementation well but don't have the marketing to gain a high profile. The first successful game that has a feature/innovation is the one that people always remember.

VeloZer0
09-29-2009, 02:11 AM
Yeah, I would say that is a better way to describe the concept I was trying to express.

Loony BoB
09-29-2009, 10:14 AM
:up:

Rostum
09-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Though, to be honest I was still hoping we'd get Chocobos as mounts that we could customise.

I remember seeing the Chocobo concept art for FFXI, where they had different armour on (plate, cloth, etc.). It would be cool if we could armour up our chocobos for battle and to increase certain stats (similar to breeding and racing in FFXI).

Calarandir
09-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Though, to be honest I was still hoping we'd get Chocobos as mounts that we could customise.

I remember seeing the Chocobo concept art for FFXI, where they had different armour on (plate, cloth, etc.). It would be cool if we could armour up our chocobos for battle and to increase certain stats (similar to breeding and racing in FFXI).

Well, IGN said that Chocobos will be used in a completely different way in FFXIV, using them as some form of combat pet does fit the bill and would be a fun feature to have.

Ouch!
09-30-2009, 04:09 AM

Well, IGN said that Chocobos will be used in a completely different way in FFXIV, using them as some form of combat pet does fit the bill and would be a fun feature to have.
The first trailer featured an adventurer leading a chocobo around who was carrying a large number of bags and other containers. Since I believe SE has said that there isn't going to be an equivalent of a moghouse, it wouldn't surprise me if you can call your chocobo to you in the field to access extra storage spaces or something.

Del Murder
10-09-2009, 12:11 AM
A class that got to use a giant robot suit like in FFVI would be pretty awesome, I will admit. I doubt that's what it means though.