PDA

View Full Version : Recommend ON! I'm getting a PS3.

Dignified Pauper
09-01-2009, 04:46 AM
So, tomorrow, I'm going to walk into Best Buy with $160 in giftcards and use them for a fat PS3 Slim.

My question. I'll be getting a second controller and 1 headset, please recommend me two game purchases.

What I have considered is MGS4 and GTA4. But I dunno, I kind of want an RPG. I do know I will be getting FAT PRINCESS off PSN day 1 because, well, shut up and play it with me!

Anyway, I kind of want a great RPG. I heard inFamous is good, but only offers about one replay. Any other great games anyone can recommend. I thought about Uncharted because of the hype, but I'm not a fan of Tomb Raider-esque games, even if they did improve the entire genre. Just no.

Recommend GO!

Fonzie
09-01-2009, 05:11 AM
Rent the new Batman game, get Bioshock and Fallout 3.

Shoeberto
09-01-2009, 05:15 AM
Get MGS4. It's goddamn fantastic. I love it.

Umm, I don't have any RPGs to recommend. I haven't played any yet. Little Big Planet is great fun though. Resistance 1 is a wonderful game too though I've heard the sequel is lackluster.

NeoCracker
09-01-2009, 05:22 AM
Valkeria Chronicles is easily one of the best SRPG's ever made. Definately a must buy if you are into the Genre. Same with Disgaea 3 if you like those games.

Infamous is an amazing title. Solid controls, fun powers, amazing story line, and beautiful graphics. Easily one of the top contenders for best ps3 titles, even if the fact Chainlink fences are your worst nightmare...

The new batman, while not having much replay value, and will only take a while to beat if you want to look for all the Riddler Side quests, is truly amazing despite it's somewhat short length. Smooth combat, awesome graphics, and amazing villains, even though I as dissapointed there was no Raz Alghoul(sp?).

And if you like the challange rooms, you will actually get a lot of replay value, but I wasnt' a big fan. I bought it day 1, and I felt I got my full 60$'s worth on it.

Wolf Kanno
09-01-2009, 05:37 AM
MGS4 and Demon's Soul

Crimson
09-01-2009, 06:15 AM
InFamous
Prototype
Soul Calibur 4
BlazBlue
Devil May Cry 4
Disgaea 3
Valkryie chronicles
Resistance 1 & 2
Oblivion elder Scrolls

This is what I would recommend.

Dignified Pauper
09-01-2009, 06:40 AM
I hear a lot of people recommend infamous. Some hesitation I have for VC is that, while I absolutely love SRPG's, they just get old really quick.

I've heard mixed things about Demons Souls.

NeoCracker
09-01-2009, 06:48 AM
I hear a lot of people recommend infamous. Some hesitation I have for VC is that, while I absolutely love SRPG's, they just get old really quick.

I've heard mixed things about Demons Souls.

Demon souls isn't even out yet, but apperently the biggest downside is insane difficulty.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-01-2009, 06:50 AM
I really love Prince of Persia. It might seem a bit repetitive and the plot a tad underwhelming, details tend to be more or less flesh out in optional dialogue, but it is simply gorgeous to look at. I heard the DLC dungeon fixes a lot of the complaints people have had, though I have yet to play it myself (the DLC not the main game).

CimminyCricket
09-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Disgaea 3

Moon Rabbits
09-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Well, considering the best RPG belongs to the X-Box 360 ...

Seriously. Mass Effect is sooooooo worth buying a 360 for. SOOOO GOOD. and I don't care how late I am to play this game!

But I'd get MGS4 and GTAIV for the PS3, really. They seem like they'd offer the most game time for the price, yoooooo.

Pete for President
09-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Definately MGS4. It will drop your jaw. And it's platinum, so very cheap.

Dreddz
09-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Ill have to give a nodd to MGS4 as well. Its one of the few games which doesn't feel like your playing a PS2 game with hi-res textures. Purely on a technical level, it'll blow you away.

And Uncharted is a lot better than you think. I dismissed the game for over a year, which I later found out was a big mistake. It isn't doing anything particulary new, but it sure is executed well. Considering its cheap, and its sequel is coming out very soon, I'd pick up Uncharted without any hesitation.

If its an RPG your after, Valkyria Chronicles will give you your fix. Wondeful game. Nothing else needs to be said really.

Slothy
09-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Seriously. Mass Effect is sooooooo worth buying a 360 for. SOOOO GOOD. and I don't care how late I am to play this game!

I would never recommend buying a console for one game, and certainly not Mass Effect. It's good, but outside of the good character dialogue trees, the characters are pretty stereotypical, and the story is rather bland and over almost as soon as it begins. Combat is also kind of hit and miss. It's an above average game, but not nearly as amazing as a lot of people seem to think.

Definitely get Valkyria Chronicles for your SRPG fix. The big ones like Little Big Planet, MGS4, Uncharted, Killzone 2, etc.

I don't recommend GTAIV, but that's because all of the little mini-game stuff was so prominently shoved down your throat in that game that it actually ruined the basic gameplay for me. Sure you didn't have to do any of it, but considering they went out of their way to try and get you to, and punished you if you didn't, it just got annoying. Nothing like getting a call from your cousin to go play a terrible mini-game when you're almost at a story mission, only to lose relationship points and the benefits maintaining those relationships offer you when you tell him you're busy. In my entire life, this is one of only two games I ever hated enough to trade in, which is saying a lot as I was a big fan of the series on the PS2.

Dignified Pauper
09-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Well, I think I'm getting MGS4 definitely, MAYBE Uncharted since I hear it is cheap, and then, possibly another game. I have heard some good things about inFamous too. OH such a quandary!

Dreddz
09-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Why not just go through the PSN store and start downloading demos. Nearly all the games mentioned in this thread have a demo on PSN store. Surely thats the best way to find out what game you want.

Old Manus
09-01-2009, 01:59 PM
GRENADE OF GRENADE 4: GRENADE GRENADE

Bolivar
09-01-2009, 02:22 PM
I have to wholeheartedly agree with your instincts on MGS4 and GTA4.

MGS4 is easily, far and away, the best game this generation. Its cinematics show just how poorly directed the cut scenes are in video games as a whole, and its game design and gameplay shows just how re-hashed the gameplay is in nearly every other game. Not to mention, it's $30 new, $28 on amazon.

GTA IV is good as well, there's a lot of value there and a lot of people actually still play the multiplayer, which I really loved when it first came out.

Valkyria Chronicles is a very special game I'd suggest you look into, especially because it's so cheap new now. I know you said SRPG's become repetitive, and it's for that reason I recommend it. The story continuously surprises you with the areas it covers, and the battle situations offer a ton of variety from chapter to chapter. There's a lot of replay value here as well, and it's simply one of the best RPG's this generation.

Demon's Souls is another great RPG that will quite possibly reinvigorate your love of the genre. Imagine those macabre, difficult dungeon crawlers from the NES days, only with HD graphics and modern physics. It's possibly one of the most important games out today. I imported it, but I'd suggest buying the US version when it comes out since it'll have a lot of extra goodies, plus it's a game you're going to want the strategy guide for. It offers literally thousands of hours in replayability, and a truly groundbreaking take on multiplayer.

inFAMOUS is great. You can't judge today's games by images or cutscenes, because the true ejoyment comes from seeing the environment respond to you. inFAMOUS took it once step further, as even gameplay videos can't tell you how good the game is, since you have to feel how smoothe the movement and animations are. I really loved it and it'll give a good amount of hours for your money. Download the demo, trust me.

Killzone 2 is not your traditional FPS game. You're not a gun hovering 4-feet above the ground, you're a soldier in an invasion, and you have to use your instincts and strategy in order to weed out, eliminate, and move on from enemy encounters. The game plays like a tech demo showing the PS3's full capability, but beyond that it has possibly the best and most detailed shooting mechanics and gameplay out there. Just when you think you've seen it all in the single player campaign, they'll give you a lightning gun, or put you in the driver's seat of a mech. The multiplayer follows this formula as well - it's simply one of the deepest experiences out. The game was in development for 4 years and it shows, all the way down to the reload animations. (Indeed, the animations are one of the best parts of the game).

FPS games - Resistance 2 and Far Cry 2 are great. Racing games - Wipeout HD and the Motorstorm games are all great entries in the genre. Adventure, Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank are great as well. All of these (except ratchet & wipeout) I could write pages and pages about why I like them so much, but I'll admit they're not for everybody (with the exception of Uncharted, check that out, it's only $30 now).

There's a lot of options on the PS3 right now, but those are the ones I'd recommend the most personally.

sephireland
09-01-2009, 03:26 PM
I thought MGS4 was a crushing disappointment. However if you want an RPG go with Valkyria Chronicles. Looks and plays beautifully. Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion is bloody essential too. I'm about to get into Eternal Sonata which should be fun.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is enormous fun.

Other games I enjoyed: Half Life 2, inFamous, Street Fighter 4, Bioshock but if I had to go back and play one game again it'd be ES4: Oblivion.

Breine
09-01-2009, 03:50 PM
I was gonna recommend Tomb Raider Underworld, but seeing that you don't like that genre I'm not going to :P It's the only PS3 game I've actually played extensively as of yet (just got my PS3, peepz!).

Anyway, I'm totally going to purchase Metal Gear Solid 4, since I'm a big fan of the MGS series, and this fourth game looks terrific.

Other than that I'm also going to buy Soul Calibur 4 and Tekken 6, once it arrives here.

Prince of Persia also looks interesting. I have all the other three games, and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Anyway.. yeah, those are the ones I'd recommend, based on my own preferences.

Dignified Pauper
09-01-2009, 06:00 PM
I got MGS4 and inFamous

ljkkjlcm9
09-01-2009, 06:27 PM
PSN: Pixel Junk Eden... honestly my favorite game on the PS3. Laugh all you want, but it's just pure fun.

There aren't many actual games I want for the PS3 right now, though there are a bunch this fall. Hence why I haven't bought my very own PS3 yet. But I will probably next month.

THE JACKEL

Moon Rabbits
09-01-2009, 08:23 PM

I would never recommend buying a console for one game, and certainly not Mass Effect. It's good, but outside of the good character dialogue trees, the characters are pretty stereotypical, and the story is rather bland and over almost as soon as it begins. Combat is also kind of hit and miss. It's an above average game, but not nearly as amazing as a lot of people seem to think.

Everything you say is false. Especially about the story - Mass Effect is one of the only science fiction stories that entertained me~ Plus the setting is just so perrrrrrfect~~ And I loved the combat. Biotics are fucking awesome.

Slothy
09-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Everything you say is false. Especially about the story - Mass Effect is one of the only science fiction stories that entertained me~ Plus the setting is just so perrrrrrfect~~ And I loved the combat. Biotics are smurfing awesome.

Yes, because opinions can be false. :confused:

My main response is that you must not watch, read, or play a lot of stuff with sci-fi stories. The story was a tiny bit of build up to a race of machines who wants to destroy all life in the galaxy. Why? Because it's there apparently. If you want to know more, wait for the sequel we obviously intended, because we wouldn't make as much money giving you some real answers in this game. Throw in some heavy handed handling of your typical sci-fi moral ponderings (largely racism in this case) and you have the whole story in a nut shell.

As for the character; you have Sheperd who can be either an paragon of virtue or a complete ass. There is no real in between in any given conversation or situation. Have him (or her) accompanied by a rag tag bunch that includes a conscience with legs (Kaidan), the tough as nails, will do anything it takes to defend the human race soldier (Ashley), the alien love interest who has no real reason for being there except to progress the plot and be the alien love interest ... I could go on, but maybe I think I've rambled enough. I'm sure you enjoyed it and if so great, but story-wise I found Mass Effect offered nothing that sci-fi fans haven't seen a hundred times over in various forms for years.

krissy
09-01-2009, 10:48 PM
if the new ace combat got ported to ps3 this wouldn't even be an argument imho

unfortunately it is not there :(

Pete for President
09-01-2009, 11:28 PM
I got MGS4 and inFamous

Good choice and enjoy! Hope we helped a lil'.

Mirage
09-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Well, considering the best RPG belongs to the X-Box 360 ...

But I'd get MGS4 and GTAIV for the PS3, really. They seem like they'd offer the most game time for the price, yoooooo.

I would agree with you, but i won't :p. This is because if you have a less than 5 year old computer, putting even a Geforce 8800 GT video card (you can probably get these for less than 90 dollars, and they are probably not even the best bang for the buck anymore but i'm using it as an example right now because it's what I've got) in it will get you better graphics in the PC version of Mass Effect than you can on the 360 :).

Moon Rabbits
09-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Everything you say is false. Especially about the story - Mass Effect is one of the only science fiction stories that entertained me~ Plus the setting is just so perrrrrrfect~~ And I loved the combat. Biotics are smurfing awesome.

Yes, because opinions can be false. :confused:

I'm sure you enjoyed it and if so great, but story-wise I found Mass Effect offered nothing that sci-fi fans haven't seen a hundred times over in various forms for years.

The Reapers' backstory was pretty weak, yeaaah, but I just chock their origins and motives up to technological singularity and I'm happy. As for the characters, I thought they were all pretty decent - I especially thought Garrus and Tali were rather unique, and Wrex. In fact, the human characters were rather meh, but whatever. And there is definitely a middle road option for the main character, I was pretty balanced between Paragon and Renegade.

ANYWAY, I'm /not/ a sci-fi fan (actually, I really kind of dislike sci-fi), and the fact that Mass Effect entertained me so much and immersed me so well I thought to be a good testament to how fuckin awesome it issss~

JKTrix
09-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Did we really have a 'been there, done that' debate on a Final Fantasy forum?

The new batman...even though I as dissapointed there was no Raz Alghoul(sp?)...

He makes a cameo, although unlike most other villain cameos, you can actually see his body. (Look around in the morgue...)

Congrats on your new PS3, DP! Add me on PSN, JKTrix, if we ever have the same game we can play together we can hook up now and then.

Dignified Pauper
09-02-2009, 06:17 AM
JKTrix, I sent you a friend add.

PSN: DignifiedPauper

I also added it to my profile in case someone else wants to add me randomly. The only person from EoFF I know who has a PS3 was Roogle.

xXsarahXx
09-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I am going to say this once and once only....

DISGAEA 3

That is all.

Dignified Pauper
09-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Disgaea is SUCH a level grind and I never finished the first one or even played the second. As far as that goes, that, and Disgaea 3 just looks like a waste of money since it could have been produced for the PS2.

Crimson
09-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Disgaea is SUCH a level grind and I never finished the first one or even played the second. As far as that goes, that, and Disgaea 3 just looks like a waste of money since it could have been produced for the PS2.

Get out.

Shoeberto
09-02-2009, 09:29 PM
JKTrix, I sent you a friend add.

PSN: DignifiedPauper

I also added it to my profile in case someone else wants to add me randomly. The only person from EoFF I know who has a PS3 was Roogle.
I HAS PS3

ShoebertoRamirez, if I don't get you first.

Dignified Pauper
09-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Awesome, you'll probably get to me first, Hsuberto!

xXsarahXx
09-03-2009, 09:02 AM

Get out.

This.

CimminyCricket
09-03-2009, 09:55 AM

Get out.

This.

x2

xXsarahXx
09-03-2009, 09:58 AM

Get out.

Get out.

This.

x2

Hell im gonna go for the x3.

Also Cim, cute Disgaea site youve got (in your sig) :D

Dignified Pauper
09-03-2009, 01:36 PM
whoops. Looks like I offended someone. Don't know if you know this, but I'm Marick D. Pauper. Log into FP and I'll kick your butts.

xXsarahXx
09-03-2009, 02:39 PM
lol youve not offended anyone :)
My psn name is Sarahcake add me if you wish too :D

ljkkjlcm9
09-03-2009, 05:36 PM
I hear Cross Edge is actually pretty good too...
And Etna and the Prinny are in that game!

THE JACKEL

Bunny
09-03-2009, 05:59 PM
whoops. Looks like I offended someone. Don't know if you know this, but I'm Marick D. Pauper. Log into FP and I'll kick your butts.

OPINIONS?! ARRGGGGH

Croyles
09-05-2009, 12:47 AM
In the order of what popped into my mind first.

Metal Gear Solid 4
InFamous
Killzone 2
Resistance 2
Uncharted / Uncharted 2 (I know you said you dont want to but just trust me at least rent it because the game is effin brilliant. However, the demo isnt very good.)
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time (I would of suggested Tools of Destruction but just wait till the new one comes out i say)
Demon's Souls (RPG - very tough in the beginning but gets better!!)
Valkyria Chronicles (Strategy RPG)
Disgaea: Absence of Justice (strategy RPG)
Prince of Persia
Bioshock
Batman Arkham Asylum
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Burnout Paradise
LittleBigPlanet
Folklore (action RPG)
Call of Duty 4 (not my type of game but most people love it)
Heavenly Sword

PSN games I REALLY recommend:
Wipeout HD
Warhawk (community is still very strong)
Fat Princess (of course! however, online play is still a little buggy, waiting for next patch)
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars - this is a true little gem, its basicly twisted metal type cars playing soccer on fields with various different shapes l0l.
Grrr, theres many more but ive forgotten...

Now, no one apart from me is ever going to love all of these games so I suggest just pick out of these and some others you want that you dont see here.

Also, I dont really recommend GTAIV. To me, this was the most overhyped and and overrated (by the reviews) game ever. I thought San Andreas was at least like 3x more enjoyable.

Crimson
09-05-2009, 02:56 AM
GTA IV sucked ass, they chose polished graphics over great gameplay.

Epic fail.

Moon Rabbits
09-05-2009, 06:54 AM
GTA IV sucked ass, they chose polished graphics over great gameplay.

Epic fail.

No, you're wrong.

CimminyCricket
09-05-2009, 07:15 AM
You go through the windshield, that's a game in itself.

Dignified Pauper
09-05-2009, 03:44 PM
I heard warhawk was good. Also Battle Tanks just game out which sounds awesome.

Shoeberto
09-05-2009, 07:28 PM
I recommend playing through the story of MGS4, relishing every moment of it and appreciating the attention to detail put into every single aspect of it, and then promptly joining me in Metal Gear Online because that :bou::bou::bou::bou: is fun. It's just hard to find people to do matchmaking with for anything other than standard DM.