PDA

View Full Version : Job Interviews

Breine
09-04-2009, 02:02 PM
So, I phoned a rather big school the other day to see if they needed a substitute teacher, and they did. We arranged for me to come down there and talk with them this Wednesday.. so basically I'm going there for a job interview.

I already have a lot of experience as a teacher, but not in schools, though. I've worked in some "skolefritidsordninger" (which directly means School Free-time Arrangement - basically a place where the kids go to hang out after school until their parents get off from work) for a long time now, and therefore have been working with kids from ages 5-11. If I get this new substitute job I'll actually be teaching in a school, probably for kids aged 14-16.. which is kinda weird since I'm only 21. But hey, it pays well!

So yeah, I have to convince them that I'll be able to teach and stuff. It'll be pretty interesting I think. Don't have any problems with job interviews at all, really.. but it's still gonna be kinda interesting to see how it works out.

Anyway, how are you when it comes to job interviews? Do you like them or not, and how do you usually handle them?

Rye
09-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Congrats, Breine! You can do it. :)

I generally enjoy job interviews. My interview for Gamestop was kind of nerve-wracking though, since the guy was like rapid-fire questioning me about my knowledge of video games. My interview for TJ Maxx went something like "Oh, lots of hours... oh, good GPA... no criminal record... want to start working now?"

My interview for my current job went even better. She asked me what hours I wanted, and then I just signed some forms, and I was gone. xD

Rodarian
09-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Well to be honest I dislike 'formal interviews'...Actually what I hate the most are those multi-choice questions that some have.... I wouldn't have the fainest of clue whether I was their man or hell raising racist....

In general though I come off as being pleasant, with a wry of humor but polite... I try not too act too cocky when comes to textile related things and I really don't lavish my bosses with any praises... In fact The designers I have worked never did hear me give praise to them... Yes I complimented them but nothing to do with the business or how much they are better than the other designers (they are a bit vain you see and bitchy behind ppls back)....

I had informal interview a week back...They're offering me the job..But I'm still undecided whether or not to take it as I'm in my thesis mode and can't really allow myself to commit to a full time job just yet.

Oh you'll get the job no sweat! You're Breine!! :breine: is :breine:

Loony BoB
09-04-2009, 02:30 PM
The only part I don't like is when they ask what you think you should get paid. I think that's a ridiculous question - you haven't experienced the job yet, so how should you know what you should get paid? They should tell you what they're offering, probably a lower band since they don't know you either, and then adjust accordingly later on. Everyone loves a workplace where you can get a raise, even if you started off on a lower wage than you'd have hoped. It's a reward and it'll always feel that way.

I'm fine overall though as I've never 'failed' an interview. But I imagine people looking for jobs right now must be up against a lot of opposition so I don't envy them.

Levian
09-04-2009, 02:46 PM
I've only ever been on three job interviews, but I was pretty much hired even before I got in the door, the requirements for the positions weren't very high. :p Pretty much anyone could've gotten the jobs. One of the interviews actually happened after I had started working and in another interview they asked me if I could start working right after the interview. I wonder what a real job interview is like!

Psychotic
09-04-2009, 03:20 PM
I once had a phone interview, followed by a three hour group interview, followed by a follow up solo interview. This was for a part-time job at god damn Ikea. There was 500 or so of us initially, and I got to the final 20. Didn't make the cut - glad I didn't, happier doing what I am now - but fuck me that was a pile of bollocks.

Breine
09-04-2009, 03:56 PM
I once had a phone interview, followed by a three hour group interview, followed by a follow up solo interview. This was for a part-time job at god damn Ikea. There was 500 or so of us initially, and I got to the final 20. Didn't make the cut - glad I didn't, happier doing what I am now - but smurf me that was a pile of bollocks.

Hahaha xD

"The one whose name I do not call out, will no longer be in the running towards becoming Ikea's Next Part-time Worker".

Seriously, that's insane.

Madame Adequate
09-04-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm too much of a failure to even get a job interview so :monster: I have no idea.

I presume I will be nervous as fuck and ruin my chances.

LunarWeaver
09-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I am so awkward and terrible at job interviews. Any jobs I've gotten are flukes or out of pity or something. I don't know. I get too nervous doing just about anything.

I wish I were Breine: He has his own smiley, he traveled the world, his hair is pretty, he doesn't choke children ages 5-11 like I do, and his cock is 23 inches long.

FML.

Bunny
09-04-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm too much of a failure to even get a job interview so :monster: I have no idea.

I presume I will be nervous as smurf and ruin my chances.

Great, now I'm my own MILF too.

black orb
09-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Anyway, how are you when it comes to job interviews? Do you like them or not, and how do you usually handle them?
>>> My last Job interview was like 5 years ago, is funny because I was about to punch everyone in the face there, and of course I didnt get the job..:monster:

Breine
09-04-2009, 11:00 PM
I wish I were Breine: He has his own smiley, he traveled the world, his hair is pretty, he doesn't choke children ages 5-11 like I do, and his cock is 23 inches long.

More like 30 inches :count:

Heath
09-05-2009, 12:42 PM
The part of the interview I hate is when they ask if you have any questions, because I never know what to ask that isn't typically boring or that I already know the answer to.

I do and I don't like them. I like that I get an opportunity to show off, to a certain extent, how well I've done in school and what I've done well at in previous roles. I've never felt I've interviewed badly, but I don't always get the job. Except this summer when I actually got the first job I applied for, which was extremely unexpected. I had an interview once for a low level position at an accountancy and the guy interviewing me began by asking "so why do you want this job?" So I gave the usual spiel and he replied "no, why do you want this job? Don't you think it's a bit below you? With your grades you'd be better off looking to become an accountant." And he spent the rest of the interview telling me how I could go about doing that. Good fun.

cloud_doll
09-05-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm good at bragging, but awfuul with fucking eye contact. Like, I can't just talk to someone and look them right in eye, I have to look away like every 5 seconds. And I probably look like a drug addict when I get freaked when they're just staring at me, and I get all fidgety.

It's like they're trying to look into your soul!!

Rodarian
09-05-2009, 02:28 PM

More like 30 inches :count:

Must be a real nuisance wearing pants, especially shorts for that matter...Your shaft peeking out like must frighten everyone Forget the awe-ing. It'll be more like screaming....:Eek::eek:

Plus you'll have a big question mark from your place of employment....It might influence them ( the kids) in a very wrong way...*cough pedophile cough*

rubah
09-05-2009, 04:51 PM
I boned my last two interviews, but I think I have a slightly better idea of what to do now :D

oddler
09-05-2009, 09:31 PM
I handle a job interview like I'm myself. I have the outlook that if they don't like me as me, then I'm fine not working with them. With less than a semester of college education and usually no idea for what position I'm actually interviewing, most of the time I go in with very little to work with. Good thing I have charisma! :Oo:

Breine
09-09-2009, 11:05 AM
So, I just finished the job interview half an hour ago. It was kinda strange - I felt like I was at an oral exam in High School. One guy kept asking me questions and writing things down, while another one just sat and listened and also wrote stuff down. It wasn't quite like the other job interviews I've been to. I got asked things like, "What would you do if a 9th grader acts up and causes trouble in the middle of the class?" and "Do you want to be a school teacher in the future?".

I think it went alright, though. If I get it I'll have to teach 5th graders math, 7th graders Danish and 9th graders social studies (the latter could possibly turn out kinda nerve-wrecking, since I don't remember too much of that social studies stuff). But yeah, it'll be 1.5 months of me having to sort of become like a full-fledged school teacher with all the responsibilities that come with it. - They'll call me next week to let me know how things are and such.

Depression Moon
09-09-2009, 01:39 PM
I've been on a few in the past two years and none of the got me a job. I'm usually nervous beforehand, but all that goes way when I'm there. The last one I had which was a year ago I got the impression that the interviewer was impressed with me. I called him a few times to make sure they didn't forgot about me and the guy said one time that I had it and he would call me in for training, but he never did and whenever I called back he just told me the same thing. I hate these employers out here, probably I haven't got a job over this time is because of lack of experience, but how can they expect me to have any if they don't give me the chance?

The Space Pope
09-14-2009, 06:39 AM
I don't like how most job interviews are done online nowadays period

So impersonal period