PDA

View Full Version : You Don't Push the Door Labeled "Pull"

Yar
09-04-2009, 07:25 PM
But I keep seeing people do it here. :p

How often do you like to just sit and watch/stare at people?

Topic 2: When is the last time you tried and failed opening a door?

theundeadhero
09-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Every time I go to get my haircut I try the open the freakin barber shop door the wrong way. Every time! :mad2:

I watch people fairly often but don't usually stare at them unless I happened to be looking their way while zoning out in imagination land.

Freya
09-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I use to, if I woke up early int he morning, get coffee and sit somewhere on my campus and watch people. PEOPLE WATCHING! You can learn simple things by how people carry themselves or interact with others.

I rarely open the door the wrong way :P

Zyphus
09-04-2009, 07:34 PM
I fail at going through the college door. ive bumped into it twice because it doesnt like me. its an automatic door as well... :(

rubah
09-04-2009, 07:56 PM
all summer, one of the front doors was locked to the ME building, and it was funny to see people trying to open it.

But this fall, it's unlocked, and I have no one to mock :( :'( :cry:

I people watch often!

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-04-2009, 08:26 PM
It is fun watching people, like Lekana said you can learn stuff about people by watching them.

Oh, I did that yesterday in the mall, tried to open the door the wrong way.

Breine
09-04-2009, 08:28 PM
I like to people watch. It can be really interesting, and just looking at how people look, how they carry themselves, how they act, how they move and all sorts of other stuff can be captivating.

Mogi
09-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm sure that I've tried to open a door the wrong way, but I can't think of any consistent doors that thwart my stride or any specific circumstance where one significant door has scarred my memory.

I often wonder why automatic doors say CAUTION on them. It seems to me more appropriate to put a CAUTION sign on a door that won't move out of your way before you run into it.

This thread reminded me of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwvrje8uySo). I love how he rushes out afterward.
XD

VexNet
09-04-2009, 09:43 PM
I've managed to push open a "pull" only door before.
It took a lot of effort, but mission was succesful.

I watch people all the time... that sounds kinda creepy.
I especially love Christmas time. you get such a mixture of frantic shopping, couples romancing, couples fighting, friends in the snow, festivals, laughing and crying.

Crimson
09-05-2009, 03:02 AM
I always get the short end of luck with doors, if i'm trying to pull it open, it'll somehow fall forward and i'll faceplant on the floor. In retrospect, if I try to push open a door, it'll somehow slam into my face.

Tama2
09-05-2009, 03:30 AM
YouTube - Door prank (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8N7xbTkD7I)

TheAbominatrix
09-05-2009, 05:21 AM
People watching is awesome. I do it whenever I'm out, especially if I have time to kill.

And I havent failed at door opening lately, however my customers LOVE to push the door that says pull, resulting in the door being stuck opening on the rug and a continuous long beeeeeeeep that no one else seems to hear but me. Oh, and it's 110 outside today, CLOSE THE DAMN DOOR.

Seraphic
09-05-2009, 05:35 AM
I LOVE people watching!
People do funny things when they think no one is looking.
It's also funny to walk by and pick up a few seconds of peoples conversations and try and guess what they were talking about.

Vermachtnis
09-05-2009, 06:20 AM
I've walked into push and pull doors thinking they're automatic. Needless to say, but I guess wrong all the time. I swear this gas station keeps changing their doors to mess with me.

I people watch every so often. But my town is kind of ugly so get bored and wonder off. Although at the mall there is some good looking people to watch.

blackmage_nuke
09-05-2009, 06:22 AM
If there is a label on the door I usually open it the right way. However the only doors I get wrong are pulling when I should be pushing. When I see a handle I naturally assume I should pull so I usually do both actions, a pull followed by a push.

I usually watch people and wander if theyre watching me to which I do some odd motions to enhance their people watching experience

Moon Rabbits
09-05-2009, 06:39 AM
This video made me stop using revolving doors. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeafsydZaV4)

Anyway, I door fail all the time. Even with doors in my house ... .___.

And I people watch whenever I'm doing something like waiting for the bus, or waiting to meet someone somewhere. I like people watching a lot better when I'm with someone else, because then you can throw around some unnecessary/usually mean commentary.

Jojee
09-05-2009, 09:31 AM
I fail at doors a lot. xD

My ex is Brazilian and apparently the words are different there, or are the same word, or something... so he <i>always</i> got push and pull mixed up.

I don't people watch much. I'm way too self-absorbed to pay attention to strangers! ;)

Rodarian
09-05-2009, 11:29 AM
:whoa: That revolving door was possessed!!

I'm a bit of flunky when comes to opening the library doors at my campus...Once I tried opening the doors for good ten minutes...Then this junior comes up and opens the door with ease!! I swear those doors hate me for some reason!!

Heath
09-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't really people watch as I always feel nosey and rude.

As for the door thing, the last time I did it was last week. I came across a door that had a handle that I pulled to no avail. I then saw it had a label saying 'push' which makes me wonder why they put a handle on it in the first place!

rubah
09-05-2009, 04:53 PM
I like to try to make eye contact with the hundreds of people I walk by everyday. Even past the point where it would be awkward. I reckon if someone else is willing to make it just as awkward as I am, they might be worth getting to know!

Timekeeper
09-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Wow, I've really got to do that sometime. I mean I do watch people when I'm bored, but I've never set out to go and watch people. I'll do it one day.

When approaching an unsigned door, to avoid the push/pull dilemma, I glance at the hinges on the door as I approach. If I see hinges it should be a pull and if I can't see the hinges, a push. This usually works and saves me the embarrassment of walking into the door, or being shown up by a child.

Rokk
09-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah - I still do this x_x

However in some cases I swear it isn't my fault, sometimes there are those doors which have the 'pull' bars on both sides... A purposeful design 'flaw'?

...who knows :jokey:

Leen-Leen
09-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I await for the day where I don't fail at opening doors~ Seriously, I've run into them a lot xD

And I love people watching! Especially at Starbucks. Like just sitting at Starbucks and watching people go by. Starbucks is like people-watching/frappuicino/procrastination heaven.

Blue Harvest
09-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Non-automatic doors are my worst enemies.

Moon Rabbits
09-08-2009, 06:14 PM
I like to try to make eye contact with the hundreds of people I walk by everyday. Even past the point where it would be awkward. I reckon if someone else is willing to make it just as awkward as I am, they might be worth getting to know!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. Usually I'm trying to conspicuously cruise random guys though > _ >