PDA

View Full Version : EoFF Game Review.

Quindiana Jones
09-05-2009, 01:10 PM
I got this idea from the movie review thread in The Lounge. The title says it all really. Review a game, or a few games, or a million games that you've played. It can be "Dude, Mothership Zeta is freaking awesome. Buy it." or it can be "The aforementioned pros of the game, however, do not outweigh it's significant flaws...". Y'know, do what you want.

Feel free to also ask for a review for a game that you want to try. Obviously, I can't guarantee someone will respond, but you might get something.

OK then. Go for it, EoFF.

Laddy
09-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Baldur's Gate II

It took away my innocence and gave it Satan.

And I loved it.

29/10

Crimson
09-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Final Fantasy IX.

It was awesome in every feasible way possible and anyone who disagrees clearly suffers from mental problems and should seek medical attention immediatly.

9001/10

Madame Adequate
09-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Hearts of Iron II let's you conquer the world as anyone who existed in 1936 - 1950. Or anyone who might have, like Texas. Greatest WW2 game? Could be! #/#

krissy
09-12-2009, 09:12 PM
playing thru star wars battlefront 2 story mode thing
wtf why does it suddenly start to get hard
compared to the other modes, the small amount of backup troops screws you over
especially when they're dumb and walk into the path of my shots

Markus. D
09-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Toisu! Gauntlet Dark Legacy is by no means respectable with it's Cruddy Ancestor Gen graphics, Simple Mash Buttons gameplay, terrible quality sound samples and music bitrate etc.

It's still one of the most epic experiences ever (Especially the Sky World and later realms)... I reccomend it to absolutely anyone who wants an amazing multiplayer game and a tolerable single player game.

7 Runestones out of 10! <3

JackNapier
09-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Well I doubt you all want to scroll through the following review to get to the next post (it's a long one) so I'll just link you to it instead.

Batman: Arkham Asylum: Batman: Arkham Asylum Review (http://www.thebitbag.com/2009/08/28/batman-arkham-asylum-review/)

I Don't Need A Name
09-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Valkyria Chronicles.
That is all that needs to be said

Markus. D
09-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Median XL 1.A9's patch presents a multitude of open-ended options, we are now able to use PlugY to shift around statistics (previously locked).

I myself have created a melee Sorc (SO far ;])... the new pre-Uberskill Melee Attack allows an already destructive force (almost *wink* up there with the Naginata Assassin) to be wretchedly pwnage through Sanctuary's masses of demonic spawn. Lorenado breaths (gorgeous visually, if I can add) much needed life into the previously somewhat complex/restrictive poison attribute.

El Chupacabra returns as more of an annoyance (For those who may pass Tristram more than once), fleeing whenever you attempt to approach him and, while he still goes down quite easilly... chasing him with a pokethingssword can become dull.

Lots to experiment with at least for awhile, expect at least two complete Tri-Ace style playthroughs by myself.

VIII Acts out of X.

ChaosWolf
09-20-2009, 05:03 AM
Let's tear into a game that is horrendously overrated. What other game receives more praise for nothing than the failed experiment Mirrors Edge? When ever I see someone praising this game, I want to slap them for being such an idiot. JUST BECAUSE YOU PAYED 60$ FOR IT DOESN'T MEAN ITS GOOD. The first and biggest issue I have with this game is THE CONTROLS ARE ABSOLUTE :bou::bou::bou::bou:. How are you supposed to play a game that is supposed to flow smoothly with god awful controls like these? Were the developers stoned when they decided to make all the buttons triggers? Other issues are the game is BORING, the graphics are the very definition of bland, and the game won't last you more than a couple of hours. I'd recommend you save your money and not buy this atrocity that they try to pass of as a game. You could get more enjoyment out of snorting glass shards.

Gameplay: 3/10
Sound: 6/10
Graphics 5/10
Lasting appeal:0/10

Don't buy this awful game.

Yar
09-20-2009, 05:54 AM
omgmygame | We're better than a news site! (http://www.omgmygame.com/) :)

Kyros
09-20-2009, 06:10 AM
since it just says game and not video game I'll put a nonvideo game :P

dnd 4.0 - go back to 3.5 and call it a day even though ranger sucks here believe me its worth it :)

2/10

Markus. D
09-20-2009, 09:37 AM
2/10 is very... very harsh imo (it's still very solid and fun to play making it at least an above average 5-6?).

But I totally agree, 3.5 is 100% superior.

Madame Adequate
09-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Oh hoh hoh hoh so that's how it is, is it.

Mirror's Edge.

My god. What a refreshing game. What a surprisingly brave experiment from EA. It's a first-person platformer, and it works. The controls do take a little getting used to, but that's because the genre doesn't exist so the control scheme is going to be a little weird at first as we have no reference points or genre conventions on which to base things.

There is some combat in the game and some of it is unavoidable, sadly. It's not too bad, and can feel pretty cool at times, but it's certainly not as strong as platforming is and does dilute things a little. That said it's nice to see that it is de-emphasized and even within combat, hand-to-hand takes precedence over gunplay.

Graphically the game is a work of art. There is no other way to say it. Nothing else looks like Mirror's Edge; the graphics are both solid and gorgeous. Whatever else might be said about the game the graphics are impossible to fault. Absolutely everything is vibrant, colorful. It's also an interesting juxtaposition with the setting and plot, if you care about the setting and plot (It's passable by videogame standards, nothing more). Aurally it's the same; the ambient soundtrack is perfect and the main theme is pretty great too.

It's also addictive. It's been a loooong time since I've cared one bit about time trials but I do in Mirror's Edge. Getting things just right is utterly exhilirating in a way few recent games have been and it offers some old-school desire to get on the fastest time charts (Completely impossible given what some people have managed, but hey you can still try!)

The game is desperately short though, and does lack levels even if you do the time trials. It's worth it now that it'll be lower in price/used, but getting it brand new may have felt like you got a bit ripped off. (It wouldn't have for me though, I adore it.)

Overall Mirror's Edge is a brilliant experiment that achieves a good measure of what it set out to do. It's still far from perfect and still needs a lot of work - hopefully the recently-announced sequel will do that - but it is absolutely worth your time as one of all-too-few genuinely original and innovative games in this generation. "Breath of fresh air" might be the best way to sum it up.

black orb
09-21-2009, 02:21 AM
>>> Game: Dr. Mario (Nintendo Entertainment System).
release date: October 1990

Gameplay: 9/10
Kind of hard to figure out at the beginning but dont worry you will get used to it..
Sound: 9/10
Awesome genius soundtrack, I cant wait to buy the OST..
Graphics 9/10
The graphics are just Mind-blowing, this game will push the Nintendo console to its limits...
Replay Value:10/10
This is the best part, you will keep beating this game over and over..

A must buy by all means, go and get it before is too late!..

Quindiana Jones
09-21-2009, 08:56 AM
My release date was October 1990 too!

Depression Moon
09-21-2009, 01:39 PM
The Orange Box

What an extraordinary game indeed first off I would just like to glorify the value for this game. You can find this game cheapest at probably $20 and that $20 will get you five games. There's Half-Life 2, HL2 Ep. 1 &2, the puzzle game Portal, and the online multiplayer game Team Fortress 2.

I'll start off by reviewing Half-Life 2. At first I had found Half-Life 2 to be a bit boring and frustrating in the beginning. At some points I couldn't exactly tell what to do for instance when the game introduced its first puzzle obstacle, I spent a good few days doing something irrelevant as the game gave no tutorials in solving other puzzles so it wouldn't be as clear when you came across the first one. After that however everything seemed clear and the game was quite enoyable. it is a very challenging shooter with some clever level designs. I didn't really get much of the story, but the gameplay made up for that. Ep. 1 was fun as well but incredibly short. I beat this one in only about 2 days while the original took me a month to beat. Ep.2 was far better it was long about half as long as Half-Life 2 and it provided some great moments. the game left a huge cliffhanger that has me wondering when the next episode will come out.

Portal is a unique puzzle game that I think i s one of a kind. This game frustrated me the most out of any others. I'm usually not that great ion solving puzzles and that remained true in this game, but whenever I found myself frustrated with a puzzle for too long I took a couple of days off and found that it wasn't that hard. The game has an excellent final boss that'll make you laugh and the credits song that follows is interesting.

Team Fortress 2 is another good FPS game giving characters 9 classes to choose from and a variety of three gameplay types to battle through. All in all this is a great deal for this cheap price. I highly reccomend it to anyone.

P.S. sorry for the sloppy review I was in a rush.

9.5/10

edczxcvbnm
09-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Mirrors Edge

This would have been an awesome $10-$20 downloadable game instead of a full blown $60 game. The game is too short and doesn't deliver enough to deserve that price. I downloaded Trials HD and it blows this game away and offers more.

Lots of levels? Check
Easy and INSANELY DIFFICULT? OH hells mother fuckin' yes
Different modes of play other than standard? Check
Can I make my own level? Yes and you can make it crazy as fuck and have your friends download them.

Mirrors Edge? No to all. It is a decent single player game with some speed run capability but the game is far from hard enough for a speed run through it to really impress me.

If they let you make your own levels then this game would dramatically increase in value. If it had different modes to play like something as stupid and simple as "Disarm as many guards as possible in 2 minutes or until your life runs out" and added more value.

Is it innovative? I don't know if I would go that far. It is creative though. But innovative and creative doesn't make it worth $60. An online mode of keep away could have been awesome. 4 players race towards one package and then the first there has to keep it as long as possible while the others chase after him.

Concept - 7/10
Value at $60 - 2/10
Value at $20 - 5/10

Even at $20 this game would still massively lack. I compared it to trials HD that lets me do everything I described above except for multiplayer but I don't know how you could even dream to pull that off in Trials. That game is $15 and not only does it get challenging as all hell but I think it is funny as hell to fuck around in. In comparison to Trials I could only justify Mirrors Edge as a $5 purchase.

The biggest problem with this game is that it is an idea and really nothing more than basic implementation of that idea.

Verdict - Wait 4 years to pick this up because then it will be price correctly...or wait for Mirrors Edge 2 which might actually give you more value.