PDA

View Full Version : Turns out the 360 really did compromise the PS3 version

Dreddz
09-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Check this out. (http://xbox360.qj.net/Contrary-to-what-Square-Enix-would-have-us-believe-FFXIII-PS3-IS-compromised/pg/49/aid/134299)

Yesterday, we covered an interview with Final Fantasy XIII (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3) producer, Yoshinori Kitase, which had him reassuring fans that FFXIII going multiplatform did not compromise design at all. Today, we have here Kitase talking to GameTrailers, and admitting that the PS3 version has been indeed compromised to "keep both versions of the game identical."

Specifically, the PS3 version will not have the Japanese voices with English subtitles because, well, it can't fit on the Xbox 360 and since they want to be "fair" to both platforms, then they won't put it on the PS3 as well - regardless if it can afford to have the Japanese audio track or not. Which it totally can.

Not only that, but the pacing of the PS3 version will also be affected because of the Xbox 360 version. Analyzed PS3 Center:

When Final Fantasy moved to PlayStation 2, it only ever appeared on 1 DVD. This meant that unlike previous iterations on the original PlayStation, every area within the game could technically be open at any time. In previous games, some areas appeared on some discs, and were closed off in others. The same can even be said for games such as Lost Odyssey on the Xbox 360, due to the space constraints of the DVD, the majority of side-quests appeared on the final disc. Final Fantasy XIII will be affected in the same way.

This is not a huge problem if an RPG is 360 exclusive or developed for Xbox 360 first, but if it is meant to be developed on the PS3 first and take advantage of ALL it's features, then it is a problem.

If the game was on a single Blu-Ray disc, it would allow the player to explore many areas, and many side-quests at any time throughout the game. However, due to the DVD limitations of the Xbox 360, the game will be cut up, and many areas you visit at the beginning of the game will most likely not be available towards the end of the game. This may be one of the main reasons that many PS3 fans are looking forward to Final Fantasy Vs XIII more than Final Fantasy XIII, because Versus represents an upgrade in scale whereas Final Fantasy XIII is actually a downgrade from earlier Final Fantasy games in that sense.

Sounds to me like that's quite a compromise right there, Mr. Kitase.

Now thats bull:bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Crimson
09-05-2009, 04:59 PM
On one hand, i'm raging because the 360's lack of space is making it worse for us.

On the otherhand, i'm ROFLing at the fact that the 360 cannot hold what the PS3 version was going to have.

I said it 2 years ago, i'm saying it now.

It should've stayed a PS3 exclusive.

Formalhaut
09-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Agreed, thats aload of absulute BS.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Well that blows, I liked the openness of Final Fantasy games on the PS2. :/

Wolf Kanno
09-05-2009, 07:16 PM
So its going to have X's pacing? That really blows, not surprising though. Well this is what happens when money becomes more important.

VeloZer0
09-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Not being able to revisit old locations isn't a huge draw for me, because if they write the story correctly half the places you visit end up getting demolished in the process anyways. :)

Shiny
09-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Just put it on PS2. Problem solved.

Formalhaut
09-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Ps2? Thats a step to far to change a annoying bit about the game.

Thats a Step BACK in my opinion.

God, Screw the damn 360, just because it can't keep up with the PS3, don't saw the PS3's leg off to balence the damn scales.

GRRR.

Zaskull
09-06-2009, 04:03 AM
Ps2? Thats a step to far to change a annoying bit about the game.

Thats a Step BACK in my opinion.

God, Screw the damn 360, just because it can't keep up with the PS3, don't saw the PS3's leg off to balence the damn scales.

GRRR.

/Agree. The Xbox 360 is holding this game back, and because of it's release on the system instead on the PS3 exclusively, FFXIII won't be as good as it could've been. Really sad, actually.

There's always FFvXIII, I suppose.

Shiny
09-06-2009, 05:16 AM
To be honest, I think the series itself has been a downgrade since X-2. I wouldn't have bothered using extra features like the Japanese voices with English subtitles because it would take away from the visual experience of the game. As a result, I'm probably going to go ahead and get the version for 360 and then sell it because I don't have much hope for it being good enough to keep. I would much rather have it on a console like PS2 because buying a PS3 is really pointless to me, but whatcha gonna do.

Wolf Kanno
09-06-2009, 05:28 AM
It is kinda sad, I think Agito is the only entry in the XIII project that actually intrigues me. I can't honestly say this info surprised me nor does it really bother me as I had little hope for XIII as it stands. I'm beginning to look even less forward to FFvXIII. :(

Moon Rabbits
09-06-2009, 06:05 AM
To be honest, I think the series itself has been a downgrade since X-2.

Uh, what??? (http://www.pwned.com/gamecovers/playstation2/c3032ae90b43f5ec4f371a0afe42e3ef-Final_Fantasy_XII.jpg)

As for the topic - I don't care! I have a 360 and lack a PS3, so everything's still hunky dorey.

edit
Well this is what happens when money becomes more important.

And if this was about money, they would make the games different so that there would be a reason to buy both. Personally, I think they should go ahead and make the PS3 version more expansive ... I don't see why it's that big of a deal.

Wolf Kanno
09-06-2009, 06:26 AM
They are trying to be fair. If you make one seem a little extra shiny (even if the other has its own unique shininess) both sides will call fowl. Fans are stupid and hardly know what they want. Just listening to people bitch about SolCal exclusive stuff and DLC content for newer games is more than enough for me to understand why marketing says they shouldn't go this route. Though to be honest they are in a "damn if you do, damn if you don't" situation, as we see now the results of trying to keep it fair. :roll2

The problem is just trying not to alienate one group from the other but I'm sure this news will have PS3 fans calling for a boycott of XIII.

Jiro
09-06-2009, 06:40 AM
That's one cruel joke. It should have stayed a PS3 exclusive if this was going to happen. I was happy when it was announced on the 360 because I couldn't/can't afford a PS3, but now I don't even want to play it because I know it should have been better.

This is stupid. People are going to be furious. If a boycott does happen, it's going to cause a bit of a dent to SE's back pocket.

VeloZer0
09-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Have boycotts actually ever successfully been pulled of for stupid stuff like this? I always hear people whining about them, but doesn't it always end with everyone just caving and buying it anyways?

If you look at what he said, it doesn't even look like that much of a change. 'Some areas will not be able to be accessed at all times' doesn't seem like a groundbreaking design constraint. I own a PS3 and no 360, so the situation is less than ideal for me, but when I read that the first thing I thought was 'oh, that kind of sucks but that's life'. The sense of entitlement amongst the gaming community is truly ludicrous.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
09-06-2009, 05:40 PM
So, you won't be able to play the Japanese voice track. That's to be expected; most games don't give you this option.

Other than that, there'll be disc-specific side-quests, and you might not have access to all locations at the end of the game. I didn't have a problem with the former limitation in the PS1 games (and even single-disc games manage to lock out certain side-quests before or after certain points, anyway); the latter was annoying in FFIX, but it didn't break the game or anything. And I doubt the situation will be as severe as FFVIII, where everything was locked out. So, it's probably forgivable.

I'm not sure I see the cause for outrage, here.

Wolf Kanno
09-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't see much of a problem here either but some people feel the game is now less that it could have been. The real problem is that since people are not privy to the extent of this modification you know damn well it will be the excuse people will make if the game doesn't blow your mind. For all we know, all that was changed was getting access to two simple quests that net you an elixer which now has to wait until the end of the game but people will suspect large parts of the side quests were moved around when in reality they may have been originally designed to only be accessed until the end of the game.

I won't be surprised if every little problem that arrives in XIII will have the multi-platform choice be used as the excuse of why its there when in reality it may have been planned like that from the beginning.

Shiny
09-06-2009, 11:39 PM
To be honest, I think the series itself has been a downgrade since X-2.

Uh, what??? (http://www.pwned.com/gamecovers/playstation2/c3032ae90b43f5ec4f371a0afe42e3ef-Final_Fantasy_XII.jpg)

Ew! *projectile vomits*

As for the topic - I don't care! I have a 360 and lack a PS3, so everything's still hunky dorey.

Yeah, that's basically sums up how I feel about this. :greenie:

Loony BoB
09-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Jumping on the Xbox 360 but no PS3 bandwagon. :D

As for bitching about these things, what do you expect? Square Enix is a company that is out there to make money, not to do fans a favour. Do you want them to have the money to continue to develop games after this or do you want them to go bankrupt? They could probably do a lot more if they didn't have to pay the wages demanded by the developers, composers etc. that you all love so much. Do you think those people should do it for less? For free? What are you wanting from Square Enix? Or will you instead blame Xbox 360 owners for not having the money for a PS3, or because the game selection might be poor for what they're after? I don't get it. Yes, it's arguably a lesser game. That's because they can't afford to buy everyone a PS3. You want it to be a better game, you stump up the millions that it'd cost to make it a profit while keeping it PS3 exclusive. :p

Croyles
09-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Im not too bothered at this point, and am not really sure if this is true anyway.
However, id just like to say to all the people who thought I was being a stupid fanboy when I said that the multiplatform move will affect the game; here it shows that it is certainly a possibility.

But whatever, it might be annoying having this in the back of your mind while playing, but if they managed to make a good game then they managed to make a good game regardless of console :)

But it is funny that now im told "what do you expect", when before i wase told "it wont make a difference".

Loony BoB
09-08-2009, 09:57 AM
To be fair, I don't think it was me who said that it won't make a difference. :p

Quindiana Jones
09-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Jumping on the Xbox 360 but no PS3 bandwagon. :D

As for bitching about these things, what do you expect? Square Enix is a company that is out there to make money, not to do fans a favour. Do you want them to have the money to continue to develop games after this or do you want them to go bankrupt? They could probably do a lot more if they didn't have to pay the wages demanded by the developers, composers etc. that you all love so much. Do you think those people should do it for less? For free? What are you wanting from Square Enix? Or will you instead blame Xbox 360 owners for not having the money for a PS3, or because the game selection might be poor for what they're after? I don't get it. Yes, it's arguably a lesser game. That's because they can't afford to buy everyone a PS3. You want it to be a better game, you stump up the millions that it'd cost to make it a profit while keeping it PS3 exclusive. :p

I think they should pay you millions for making that post.

Loony BoB
09-08-2009, 10:51 AM
I agree.

G13
09-08-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm not as good with words as Kawaii or BoB but by a show of hands who here liked the ps1 FF's? I can't see your hands if they're raised but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be on this site if you didn't like at least one of them. That's basically what we're going back to, the same thing we've known longer than the "one disc" deal. I personally don't see a problem (which may have something to do with me not expecting this game to be any good). Yeah it sucks cause it's the newest FF and all we have to look forward to is XIV after that, but this is how it is. Get over it. I'm sure no one will even notice or care when they start playing it.

Croyles
09-08-2009, 12:50 PM
To be fair, I don't think it was me who said that it won't make a difference. :p

I know :) My post is to all!! So...... it doesnt make much sense lol

Bolivar
09-09-2009, 01:32 AM
At the very least, you can't deny that arbitrary cuts and divisions are made in the content when you put your product to run on multiple units of a format. The id guys working on Rage absolutely loathed the prospect, and begged Microsoft to abandon their "no mandatory hard drive installs" for the 360 rule this one time. As a result, limits are placed around what they wish to create originally. Of course, games like the Metal Gear series have been forged out of hardware limitations - however that's entirely different from having an idea, then drastically changing it in the middle of development because one platform simply will not allow it.

Square has made a lot of comparisons of this game to FFVII, and that's sad. FFVII's platform choice (Playstation) was made due to creative decisions, wanting to produce a CG-based game that cartridges simply could not facilitate. Now, however, they're compromising game design in the name of platform choice (multiplatform release in US on 360).

Do you want them to have the money to continue to develop games after this or do you want them to go bankrupt?

This is a fallacious choice, one of the big ones I've been seeing lately around the web that has led gaming discussion into some pretty unnecessary areas. In the words of Tim Schafer himself, no one ever got their game idea canned because of market constraints. It's like the anti-environmentalists who say we need to choose between the earth or a (semi) functioning global economy.

^ This is completely regardless of the fact that Square's decision to make it multi-platform comes from a faulty forecast on the prospects of the PS3. In the months following 2007, when even mobile phone divisions were performing better than the ps3 for some companies, Square decided it would be best to not throw all their eggs in that one basket, at least not in North America. If they waited a couple months, they would have seen how Metal Gear Solid 4 proved you can have a PS3 exclusive and still sell millions of copies, even with a limited install base. In 2008, software sales skyrocketed nearly 800% for the platform, yielding more money for Ubisoft, EA, Namco, and (no surprise) Konami than the 360, and in some cases, the Wii as well (and in EA's case, the 360 and Wii combined). Consoles sales, even at $400, continued to out-pace the 360 on a month for month basis since launch time series. With the price drop to $299, the choice to go multiplatform seems more futile than ever.

Elpizo
09-09-2009, 10:52 AM
What bothers me is not that the game was changed, but that SE flat-out lied in our faces again. No changes? SE, what can we believe of what you say these days? Me thinks lying is doing them more harm than going multi and invoking fanboy wrath, but whatever. That they have to make money, I can accept, that's theway it works. That they have to lie to do it, now that's less aceptable from my point of view, but who cares? I'll probably end up buying it anyway. Jeez...

I'm personally looking more forward to Golden Sun 3 than to FF XIII, because of all the lies, fanboyism, fanwars, moneywars, companywars and mudslinging that accompanied XIII's development. And in the end, it's probably just going to be a average FF game anyway that'll make millions like all the others did, and SE will gleefully rub their hands and drool over their money pile. And we're left with our dissapointment. Yay!

Loony BoB
09-09-2009, 01:40 PM
^ This is completely regardless of the fact that Square's decision to make it multi-platform comes from a faulty forecast on the prospects of the PS3. In the months following 2007, when even mobile phone divisions were performing better than the ps3 for some companies, Square decided it would be best to not throw all their eggs in that one basket, at least not in North America. If they waited a couple months, they would have seen how Metal Gear Solid 4 proved you can have a PS3 exclusive and still sell millions of copies, even with a limited install base. In 2008, software sales skyrocketed nearly 800% for the platform, yielding more money for Ubisoft, EA, Namco, and (no surprise) Konami than the 360, and in some cases, the Wii as well (and in EA's case, the 360 and Wii combined). Consoles sales, even at $400, continued to out-pace the 360 on a month for month basis since launch time series. With the price drop to $299, the choice to go multiplatform seems more futile than ever.
You're right, Square-Enix should totally have predicted the future.

EDIT: And with all of that argument, you still can't deny that S-E will make much more money by selling on both platforms. If you want to compare the meerkat market, they'll be looking to sell in three major areas firstly and everywhere else as an afterthought. Japan (360 dominant), America (going by Amazon sales of the Beatles multiplatform release, it's Wii/360 dominant) and Europe (360 dominant last I checked). The only people I know personally over here that have a PS3 regret getting a PS3. :p That probably won't stop me buying one though... if I ever get the money. =/

Croyles
09-09-2009, 02:06 PM

EDIT: And with all of that argument, you still can't deny that S-E will make much more money by selling on both platforms. If you want to compare the meerkat market, they'll be looking to sell in three major areas firstly and everywhere else as an afterthought. Japan (360 dominant), America (going by Amazon sales of the Beatles multiplatform release, it's Wii/360 dominant) and Europe (360 dominant last I checked). The only people I know personally over here that have a PS3 regret getting a PS3. :p That probably won't stop me buying one though... if I ever get the money. =/

Lol at the meerkat bit :)

Wait sorry what? 360 is dominant in Japan? Where did you get that from? And its only on PS3 in japan anyway lol.
The 360 isnt that dominant, its actually pretty equal to the PS3 on a month to month basis, and especially not in europe.
Yeah its great that their making more money. But.... Lol since when does anyone defend a company about making money? All other times everyone is always moaning about companies milking people.

Again, im glad its on the 360 as long as this article isnt true (ive found a few places saying it isn't).

Loony BoB
09-09-2009, 03:12 PM
I had PS3 there but a couple of my work colleagues (who happened to be at my desk discussing similar things) insisted it was 360 dominant since the 360 came out first or something. I caved after nobody found a source in the rest of my short lunch hour. xD So apologies on that end of things and HA to my work colleagues, I was right all along.

EDIT: Month to month means little if you're referring to console sales - it's total working units that matter (or, more specifically, total working units which games are actually being bought for :p).

I defend companies for making money because it's what I'd do if I ran a company. What should they do if not make money? How could they develop future games without it? It's silly to say that we should accuse them of trying to make money. If anything, be proud that they're doing that. A successful company is, well, a successful company. Final Fantasy XIII wouldn't even be being worked on right now if Square Enix wasn't out to make dosh.

Croyles
09-09-2009, 05:29 PM
I had PS3 there but a couple of my work colleagues (who happened to be at my desk discussing similar things) insisted it was 360 dominant since the 360 came out first or something. I caved after nobody found a source in the rest of my short lunch hour. xD So apologies on that end of things and HA to my work colleagues, I was right all along.

EDIT: Month to month means little if you're referring to console sales - it's total working units that matter (or, more specifically, total working units which games are actually being bought for :p).

I defend companies for making money because it's what I'd do if I ran a company. What should they do if not make money? How could they develop future games without it? It's silly to say that we should accuse them of trying to make money. If anything, be proud that they're doing that. A successful company is, well, a successful company. Final Fantasy XIII wouldn't even be being worked on right now if Square Enix wasn't out to make dosh.

Of course. My only point was, usually fans dont give a crap about that and moan about every single little "rip off". For example, when a company releases DLC around a month after release everybody shouts foul play, even if the company started working on that DLC AFTER the game has 'gone gold'.
They deserve the money, but everybody gets in a big huff and puff about it.

And tell me, if SE wanted to make money, why didnt they release SO4, The last Remnant and all those RPGs on the PS3 at all? I think they just didnt really know what they were doing to be honest.
Maybe they got into that 'hey look the PS3 isnt far behind the 360 buts its definitely going to fail' mentality that the whole journalistic world was in until about a year ago (you seem to be a little bit in that mentality as well, thinking people dont buy games for it etc. EA and Ubisoft have made more money of software sales on the PS3 than the 360 and Wii combined lol)?
If SE were thinking along those lines then that's them predicting something where they shouldnt.

Loony BoB
09-09-2009, 06:45 PM
If they didn't release them on the PS3 at all then they either...
1. Were paid to do it exclusive
2. Didn't think the time/money spent developing a PS3 port would be worthwhile.
3. Didn't have the resources available to them.
4. Didn't think it would make a profit on that system.
5. Didn't want to commit to too many projects at once.
6. Didn't have the time available to the developers to port to multiple consoles.

Or some other business reason. There are always business reasons. Always.

Croyles
09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
If they didn't release them on the PS3 at all then they either...
1. Were paid to do it exclusive
2. Didn't think the time/money spent developing a PS3 port would be worthwhile.
3. Didn't have the resources available to them.
4. Didn't think it would make a profit on that system.
5. Didn't want to commit to too many projects at once.
6. Didn't have the time available to the developers to port to multiple consoles.

Or some other business reason. There are always business reasons. Always.

But BoB, your making an argument over 6 different possibilities. There are probably over a hundred different possibilities why they didnt bring them out on the PS3. Fact is that they didnt bring it out (even though they said they would with TLR).

Dude, why are you defending a company by 'guessing' the reasons for their business decisions?

Fact is, SE lied. Many times. First of all they said it would definitely be an exclusive game. Then it went multiplatform, but said that the 360 version will only be worked on after the PS3 version was done so as not to risk the PS3 version getting gimped, which also turned out to be a lie as when the PS3 version was 90% done the 360 was 70% done. Im not complaining cause it means we are getting the game quicker but fact is that they lied.

Usually these sorts of lies annoy people, but obviously we shouldnt be annoyed because its only the PS3 thats getting shafted and hey, as long as you get the game you dont care right? Nice. :roll2

I'll say it again, im happy 360 owners are getting to play the game, i am however annoyed (am now anyway, didnt care before) at all the lies SE has spurted out and people telling us to stop moaning about it. Obviously you dont see anything wrong with this cause it means you dont have to spend $299 to buy a PS3 :)

Oh my god I cant believe I just made such a long post over a bloody multiplatform discussion im feeling too nerdy I need to go do something manly :D

seiferalmasy2
09-09-2009, 07:22 PM
If they are placing the game on DVD then that is just ridiculous. The Enix merger has been a disaster for this series.

Cash in prequel and sequels all over the place (x-2 springs to mind immediately and FFVII spin offs) and now we have this....money before fans. It hasn't always been so 1 sided

=======
Speaking at GamesCom, Square Enix's Yoshinori Kitase commented: "This isn't the final count yet, but we're aiming for about three discs."

In other words it will be 4 or 5.

The team is working to compress as much as possible, while still keeping the quality high.

Limitations are in place for how much you can compress and there is a massive downside with the fact it takes more processor power ad time to uncompress it at realtime game play. The fact it is going on DVD will massively affect quality from what it would have been.

I am disgusted.

Croyles
09-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Speaking at GamesCom, Square Enix's Yoshinori Kitase commented: "This isn't the final count yet, but we're aiming for about three discs."

In other words it will be 4 or 5.

Yes, they said it will probably be 4 discs now. Not that that is new for PS1 FF fans, but im wondering if its a step back since FFX and XII

sdm42393
09-09-2009, 08:29 PM
I could care less that it's multiplatform. I do care that the PS3 version is getting gimped for the sake of "equality."

seiferalmasy2
09-09-2009, 08:30 PM
but im wondering if its a step back since FFX and XII

It is in terms of pushing a console to the limit. I didn't buy a ps3 to be downgraded to Xbox 360

Bolivar
09-09-2009, 09:06 PM

Of course, that's what financial/marketing analysts get paid for :p

"Much more" is debatable. I'm not sure how much interest the Halo/Madden crowd has in games like Final Fantasy XIII. In any case, that's irrelevant.

What's at issue here is what bringing FFXIII multiplatform has done. I'm sure everyone here, myself included, thinks that as many people having the ability to play the game is a good thing. The problem is, where does that begin to be offset by compromises made in the development process? FFXIII has already been compromised in graphics, game design, and content (voice-overs) by bringing it to the XBox 360. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

Croyles
09-09-2009, 10:03 PM

Of course, that's what financial/marketing analysts get paid for :p

"Much more" is debatable. I'm not sure how much interest the Halo/Madden crowd has in games like Final Fantasy XIII. In any case, that's irrelevant.

What's at issue here is what bringing FFXIII multiplatform has done. I'm sure everyone here, myself included, thinks that as many people having the ability to play the game is a good thing. The problem is, where does that begin to be offset by compromises made in the development process? FFXIII has already been compromised in graphics, game design, and content (voice-overs) by bringing it to the XBox 360. I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

The problem is, if the game ends up sucking, so many people are going to blame it on the move to multiplatform, when we really have no idea if thats what made it bad. Maybe it is, maybe isn't.

Im pretty sure its gonna be a good game though.

Loony BoB
09-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Graphics? Marginal, if at all. From what I've seen it looks incredible regardless.
Game design? We don't know to what extent that might be, and as shown in games such as FFVII, an enjoyable game shouldn't need to be on a single disc. I can't think of many things that were shut out on the later discs, actually.
Content (voice overs)? Eh, that's not a big deal.

Croyles
09-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Graphics? Marginal, if at all. From what I've seen it looks incredible regardless.
Game design? We don't know to what extent that might be, and as shown in games such as FFVII, an enjoyable game shouldn't need to be on a single disc. I can't think of many things that were shut out on the later discs, actually.
Content (voice overs)? Eh, that's not a big deal.

As shown by Final Fantasy I, an enjoyable game doesnt need to be on a disc, a cartridge is fine :laugh:

This could go on forever lmao. :p

VeloZer0
09-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Or maybe they aren't cutting these things for equality sake, but so they can then market a FFXIII 'complete' for the PS3 in a year or two's time.... Need something to fill the gap till FFXV.

I think I'm on to something here.

09-10-2009, 12:51 AM
I think any loss graphics wise will only be noticeable for the 360 owners and even then I doubt it would be significant to your average gamer unless you have some insane set-up.

I really liked the openness of FFXII though, so that's my biggest problem with the multiplatforming in North America. Sure, I put up with areas being inaccessible in the PSOne era, but that was a decade ago. I am used to openness that newer versions have given us.

EDIT: I don't think it will ruin the game, because as people said in the past it had work. I think it is a bit of a step back though. :/ I am still super excited for the game though! :D

EDIT2: If they come out with a Japanese version with English voice acting on it, I would totally get that. Assuming they release an "International" version which they tend to do with FF's a few years after they come out and it has English voice acting. :D

Madame Adequate
09-10-2009, 04:27 AM
So, you won't be able to play the Japanese voice track. That's to be expected; most games don't give you this option.

Other than that, there'll be disc-specific side-quests, and you might not have access to all locations at the end of the game. I didn't have a problem with the former limitation in the PS1 games (and even single-disc games manage to lock out certain side-quests before or after certain points, anyway); the latter was annoying in FFIX, but it didn't break the game or anything. And I doubt the situation will be as severe as FFVIII, where everything was locked out. So, it's probably forgivable.

I'm not sure I see the cause for outrage, here.

Pretty much this. I'm disappointed at the language stuff and I think they should have included it in the PS3 version but the disc stuff? I don't recall that ever being an issue with the PS1 era games.

Sword
09-10-2009, 11:06 AM
If they did make the PS3 version the way they originally intended then then they probably would make more money. I mean the 360 owners would still have to settle with their version regardless of how butthurt they are over it and there are some fanatics who would buy both versions specifically BECAUSE there are differences. Can we expect them, in a few years, to produce an updated version on the PS3? Like the way they always make an "international" version with more stuff.

Crop
09-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Well this is what happens when money becomes more important.

And if this was about money, they would make the games different so that there would be a reason to buy both. Personally, I think they should go ahead and make the PS3 version more expansive ... I don't see why it's that big of a deal.

It's always about money and it's always been about money....and it always will be about money.

I totally agree that it should have stayed PS exclusive.

Loony BoB
09-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Very few people in this world have enough money to buy the same video game for two different consoles - let alone to buy two different consoles in the first place! There are, apparently, 30 million 360 users in the world (Jan 2009) and 23 million PS3 users (June 2009). So, you can either market to 23 million or market to potentially over 50 million... which do you go for?

I can't understand how people can't see the business sense behind this. Let's take a look at a sample of RPG fans - in fact, FF fans - EoFF! In the gamertag thread in General Gaming, a total of nine PSN ID's have been submitted. There are 54 Xbox 360 gamertags... some of us (possibly myself) might buy a PS3 purely for FFXIII Vs. But I don't think too many will - it's expensive, even at the lower price. The PS3 isn't known for it's RPGs, and Square Enix will know what the market is like and cater to the people who are most likely to buy their game.

I don't know anyone offline with both consoles and I know very few people online with both.

Croyles
09-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Very few people in this world have enough money to buy the same video game for two different consoles - let alone to buy two different consoles in the first place! There are, apparently, 30 million 360 users in the world (Jan 2009) and 23 million PS3 users (June 2009). So, you can either market to 23 million or market to potentially over 50 million... which do you go for?

I can't understand how people can't see the business sense behind this. Let's take a look at a sample of RPG fans - in fact, FF fans - EoFF! In the gamertag thread in General Gaming, a total of nine PSN ID's have been submitted. There are 54 Xbox 360 gamertags... some of us (possibly myself) might buy a PS3 purely for FFXIII Vs. But I don't think too many will - it's expensive, even at the lower price. The PS3 isn't known for it's RPGs, and Square Enix will know what the market is like and cater to the people who are most likely to buy their game.

I don't know anyone offline with both consoles and I know very few people online with both.

I do, and I know hardly any people with 360s only... It doesnt prove anything my friend l0l.
I already told you the PS3 is not far behind the 360. But you'd rather measure it by amazon software sales and EoFF PSN ID threads :)
And who said they cant understand the business sense behind it? That really wasnt the point here.

I cant be bothered anymore, im gonna go do something fun.

Loony BoB
09-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I measured the sales of consoles being 23million and 30million, but yeah.

Well, nobody said "I can't understand the business sense behind it" in so many words - but many have said that it would be obvious for S-E to make two different games for PS3 & 360 as they'd make more money that way due to people wanting to buy both games. I disagreed. 'sall.

As for the continued debate, it's giving me time out from my reporting which takes hours on end so yeah. >_>;

Bolivar
09-10-2009, 07:27 PM

It's obviously a lot more complicated than that. As some of the Rockstar execs have said about their upcoming title "Agent", exclusivity makes sense in a lot of ways from a business standpoint.

I think the only thing I have left to say is that at the end of the day, any compromises in FFXIII will most likely be minimal. But what I've been trying to say all along is that you need to draw a line somewhere and it's important we have conversations about this to know where that line will be.

09-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't want two different games, just leave the PS3 version how (i.e. how it will be released in Japan) and do whatever they have to do for the 360 version. It will be the same game, for the most part. If Squeenix wants to make more money by releasing it on the 360 as well, more power to them. They are making slight modifications, which I don't think will ruin the game, in the name of "fairness". The thing is that there is nothing fair over someone choosing to buy a 360 over a PS3, or whatever. That was the consumer's choice, let them deal with it. Also, it is not "fair" that NA players on the PS3 version will get something slightly different from the original Japanese release.

Honestly, I don't see why they should modify the PS3 version. It is simply a consequence of whatever console you buy. Sure it might to be avoid the 360 users complaining about it being "unfair" or w/e but now it is just the PS3 users complaining. There may be less of us, but at the end of the day Squeenix is still pissing in someone's cornflakes. :/

VexNet
09-11-2009, 05:57 PM
keep all the extra stuff on the PS3 but make it a bit more expensive than the lacklustre 360 version (or do the opposite, make the 360 version a bit more cheaper than it's "normal" price).

It's annoying 360 is lacking in space, but it kind of makes it seem more like the old VII to IX game play, which is in no way a bad thing.

PS3 has gone down in price recently with the new slim line.. and it is awfully tempting..

NeoCracker
09-11-2009, 09:59 PM

As was mentioned earlier, that smaller number of PS3 owners have been making the third party developers more money then the 360 owners. That crowd of people is more focused on the Microsoft second party titles such as Gears of War and Halo, and other such stuff.

Now who should be the focus for a third party like square? The larger group of people who consistently pay little attention to third party games, or the smaller group of people who buy more third party games then the larger group of people?

Now I'm not saying you should just cut one or the other out, but Square went and pissed of the people more likely to purchase their game, in order to appease the people less likely to do it.

I can fully understand why they did it, I just think their reasoning was stupid, and their CEO's need to rethink their business strategy.

And in response to Kawaii, I do agree with you to an extent. It's not so much that It's going to do a lot to hurt the game, it's more developers may start to get the Idea it's okay to pull crap like this, and start pushing it farther and farther. Companies will start cutting corners on the PS3 for Multi-platform games simply because precident shows the can get away with doing it.

True, the company is out to make money, but we aren't out to make them money. We are out to get the games we want. And if companies are allowed to get away with cutting corners in their games for reasons like this, we risk cutting back on quality aspects of a game, so while the companies make the money they need to run, we the fans get shorted.

If, however, the fans make it clear they dont' want this to happen, the company will adjust to the desires,and make their money that way. It's not like all this fan protest is going to stop making square money, it's going to change the way they make money to better suite it's fans, assuming enough of them cry out at least. :p

Loony BoB
09-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Is that Beatles Guitar Hero thing third party software? 'cause 360 outsells PS3 for that. Just sayin'.

I don't think there is really going to be any real protest about this. The only gamers hardcore enough to even know about any of this are also the gamers that are hardcore enough to buy the game regardless. I can't think of anyone who would boycott the game for the reasons being given and if they do, I think they're the only ones losing out in this and that it's a pretty stupid, pointless thing to do.

I wonder if there are any non-PS3 owners that are disappointed about this news.

As for developers and third party software...

Xbox 360 third party sales (top 10 with 1m+ sales)
GTA IV - 4.074m
CoD 4 - 3.772m
CoD WaW - 3.35m
Assassin's Creed - 2.285m
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - 2.08m (US)
Guitar Hero II - 2m (US/Europe)
Saints Row - 2m
Madden NFL 09 - 1.87m
Oblivion - 1.762m
Madden NLF 07 - 1.72m

PS3 third party sales (top 10 with 1m+ sales)
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 3m
GTA IV - 2.659m
Resident Evil 5 - 1.21m
(that's it, just the three)

Rostum
09-12-2009, 12:05 AM

Me.

NeoCracker
09-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Is that Beatles Guitar Hero thing third party software? 'cause 360 outsells PS3 for that. Just sayin'.

I don't think there is really going to be any real protest about this. The only gamers hardcore enough to even know about any of this are also the gamers that are hardcore enough to buy the game regardless. I can't think of anyone who would boycott the game for the reasons being given and if they do, I think they're the only ones losing out in this and that it's a pretty stupid, pointless thing to do.

As for developers and third party software...

Xbox 360 third party sales (top 10 with 1m+ sales)
GTA IV - 4.074m
CoD 4 - 3.772m
CoD WaW - 3.35m
Assassin's Creed - 2.285m
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - 2.08m (US)
Guitar Hero II - 2m (US/Europe)
Saints Row - 2m
Madden NFL 09 - 1.87m
Oblivion - 1.762m
Madden NLF 07 - 1.72m

PS3 third party sales (top 10 with 1m+ sales)
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 3m
GTA IV - 2.659m
Resident Evil 5 - 1.21m
(that's it, just the three)

I'm not saying a protest, that would just be silly. We've seen how well video game protests work. :p

But that doesn't mean peopel should loudly voice their opinions on the matter. If no one does, nothing gets done, and the problem will never be solved. If enough people realize that they are starting to intentionally cut quality, there will be a loud enough voice to prevent it from happening further.

And as for third game sales, Video Games, Sales, Charts, News, Reviews, Videos, Forums, Game Cheats - Wii, Xbox, PS3, DS, PSP, PS2, PC, iPhone on VGChartz.com (http://www.vgchartz.com/?dg=1), it would seem PS3 is doing better this year in terms of both game sales and console to this point, beating out Arkum by close to 50K, and only falling behind about 42K for GH5. Mind you, they also have a third game in the top ten for that month.

I would re-link it if I could, but there was an article posted here a while back showing companies like EA and a couple other big ones making more profit on their PS3 sales then that of 360 sales, but I can't seem to find the article anywhere, if anyone still has it, the link would be appreciated. :p

Edit: There is one more thing to add, essentially another factor that greatly changes the number on consoles sold, people selling their systems to used game stores such as gamestop.

Mind you, I don't know where to find this info online, but my friends a manager at a local store, and from time to time we talk about some of the info he has most don't.

Far more XBox's get traded in then PS3's. People are complaining about all the hardware issues mostly, and a lot of people just stopped trusting Microsoft in teh console department for one, and various other reasons.

Regardless of why though, they've greatly lowered how much they pay for used 360's, simply because they get so many in, yet can't seem to sell the ones they get.

This is something that hasn't happened for the PS3. The only drops in how much they are willing to buy PS3's for are when the price of the actual system goes down. So in reality, the difference between how many people own a 360 and how many own a PS3 are a lot slimmer then the typical sales charts show.

Psychotic
09-12-2009, 04:51 AM
This sidequests thing. Has anyone from Square actually confirmed anything? 'cause from the way that article words it, it's just some PS3 site speculating. I agree with Kishi. Mountain out of a molehill. If it was confirmed that the 360 caused a couple of towns or whatnot to get cut I'd understand, but really now.

"But it's the principle of the thing!" Yes yes, console tribal warfare. I know.

09-12-2009, 05:45 AM
I think were the role reverses, 360 users might be issuing the same complaints.

I think anyone with a decent head on their shoulders, realizes that it won't ruin the game. I think the point of the matter is in the name of being "fair" in the multi-platform release, or whatever you want to call it, that you are ultimately offending one group.

Also, as for the whole "There's more 360's in NA than PS3", I think that will soon be negligible if this (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/10/ps3-sales-up-300-for-first-week-following-price-cut-in-us/) is any indication of the new trend in PS3 sales. I wouldn't be surprised that the Christmas season sees more PS3s sold than 360s in North America, especially given the big amounts of releases in the beginning of 2010 (though I suspect many will be available on both).

Loony BoB
09-12-2009, 08:35 AM
I would re-link it if I could, but there was an article posted here a while back showing companies like EA and a couple other big ones making more profit on their PS3 sales then that of 360 sales, but I can't seem to find the article anywhere, if anyone still has it, the link would be appreciated. :p
To make more profit than they do on the Xbox 360 would mean they would need to hike the price on PS3 games to the point that they can sell millions less and still make more money. So basically that's just them ripping you off for owning a different console and you should probably focus more on complaining about that than about multiplatform releases being adjusted to suit both consoles. That's something I would complain about! :p Is this true, though? Because that's pretty harsh on customers. :(

Formalhaut
09-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Jesus the way you lot go on you should be politicians!

seiferalmasy2
09-12-2009, 01:47 PM
The basic facts are:

1. We were lied to
2. FF13 will be downgraded so it can do both platforms.

sdm42393
09-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Or maybe they aren't cutting these things for equality sake, but so they can then market a FFXIII 'complete' for the PS3 in a year or two's time.... Need something to fill the gap till FFXV.

I think I'm on to something here.

Knowing Square-Enix... :rolleyes2

NeoCracker
09-13-2009, 01:16 AM
To make more profit than they do on the Xbox 360 would mean they would need to hike the price on PS3 games to the point that they can sell millions less and still make more money. So basically that's just them ripping you off for owning a different console and you should probably focus more on complaining about that than about multiplatform releases being adjusted to suit both consoles. That's something I would complain about! :p Is this true, though? Because that's pretty harsh on customers. :(

Thats why I need to find that article, cause I know both systems games cost the same. :p

Bolivar
09-14-2009, 03:11 PM

Analysis: PS3 selling more games than Xbox 360 with smaller install base - GAMER.BLORGE (http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/10/26/analysis-ps3-selling-more-games-than-xbox-360-with-smaller-install-base/)

PS3 turning the corner by becoming EA’s top seller? - GAMER.BLORGE (http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/07/30/ps3-turning-the-corner-by-becoming-eas-top-seller/)

PS3 did it again for EA this year so far as well:
PS3 outperforms Xbox 360 for EA | Gaming Industry | MCV (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35278/PS3-outperforms-Xbox-360-for-EA)

Of course Activision is an exception, with Call of Duty and Guitar Hero performing a little better on 360. But that's probably about to change w/ recent trends in the market (which is something us, as gamers, shouldn't have to worry ourselves about and discuss in forums, unfortunately we have to because in the console war, PS3-bashing always turns to the dead end of sales which are increasingly in the ps3's favor anyway.)

Markus. D
09-15-2009, 12:07 PM
*sticks a giant "BAWWWWW" sticker on a couple of members*

Did the previous FF games require Blu-Ray discs to allow us access to every location without disk switching and, optional language choices that really don't inflict a great amount of deal toward what the game truly is?

I think people are becoming gamer greedy.

Formalhaut
09-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah, in FFX at the end game you could visit every location (NEARLY, Bevelle You can't, but thats about it as far as I can rememeber)

Wolf Kanno
09-15-2009, 07:24 PM
The only problem I have with this is the idea that the game will have X's pacing where I'm stuck for forty hours playing a boring plot with dumb downed and completely un-fun gameplay and my only diversion is blitzball which also gets repetitive and boring after forty hours.

Having to wait until reaching the Calm Lands or waiting til you get the airship in the last ten minutes of the plot before you can do 90% of all the sidequests does strike a bit of a chord with me. Its one of my game design beefs with FFX. So the idea that SE might switch around quests and make the majority of them wait til the end of the game kinda has me a bit concerned cause it means the plot and basic combat system will have to carry it. I've seen this work (Xenosaga) and I've seen it fail (FFX). I might ease up if I see how the level system will work or how combat works on advanced levels.

Kyros
09-15-2009, 08:05 PM
I thought everyone knew it was going to be for both ps3 and xbox 360 ever since FFXIII promotions were made before FFXII was even out. Plus everyone should have also already known the maximum capacity for a ps3 is higher than xbox 360 so if one expected Square to put everything they could into it then they would either have to make differences in the title between the two systems or make it suit the xbox 360's capacity, sacrificing some of the features it could have had if it was made for ps3. I don't really care about this since between these two systems I only own a xbox 360, but if it was the other way around and I only had a ps3 I wouldnt have been particularly surprised at this news =/

VeloZer0
09-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Having all the side quests at the end of the game doesn't matter to me one bit. If the plot is interesting I should be constantly excited to see what comes next. Wanting to screw around as you move through the game is indicative of a weak story to me. (Not knocking games where you can do that, just saying in most environments like that plot isn't up super high on the list of selling points.)

Croyles
09-16-2009, 02:27 AM

Did the previous FF games require Blu-Ray discs to allow us access to every location without disk switching and, optional language choices that really don't inflict a great amount of deal toward what the game truly is?

Huh? The PS1 FFs had A LOT of things that could only be done on one disc. The things that COULD be done on multiple discs were included in each disc, meaning the same data is being used 3-4 times.

I havnt heard anyone whine as your post so kindly suggests. In fact everyone seemed a bit defensive and quick to write this without anyone actually really moaning.

Im looking forward to the game now that the release date has been announced in JP. Hopefully a spring release in the west is set.

Ouch!
09-16-2009, 04:47 AM
I thought everyone knew it was going to be for both ps3 and xbox 360 ever since FFXIII promotions were made before FFXII was even out.
There was wild speculation, but there was no evidence of it until a few years into FFXIII's development. It was very much a surprise.

RoxasLeonhart
09-16-2009, 05:12 AM
I saw it on gamestop this morning and it said it comes out 6-21-2010 i hope it loves up to the hype

Wolfen
09-16-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't mind the changes, as I already have a 360.

Formalhaut
09-16-2009, 09:37 PM
I like having a few small or medium sized side quests in the middle and sorta beginning of the main storyline. It keeps games varied and not always on the plot and gives some nice relief from the somtimes tense Story.

However, if the Beginning and Middle storyline gets to saturated with sidequests, then it can detract from the story, which is bad.

Of course, at the end game, you can put as many side quests as you want.

Markus. D
09-17-2009, 12:17 AM

Huh? The PS1 FFs had A LOT of things that could only be done on one disc. The things that COULD be done on multiple discs were included in each disc, meaning the same data is being used 3-4 times.

I havnt heard anyone whine as your post so kindly suggests. In fact everyone seemed a bit defensive and quick to write this without anyone actually really moaning.

Im looking forward to the game now that the release date has been announced in JP. Hopefully a spring release in the west is set.

But actual thoughts of boycotting the game? I mean honestly...

Wolf Kanno
09-17-2009, 12:36 AM
No one is actually boycotting it yet, I only suggested that it was a possibility cause we all know how bitter fanboys can be about this stuff. I know people who won't play the PS FFs cause of moving from Nintendo and I know PS fanboys who won't play any FF on a non-Sony system. Its ridiculous. :roll2

Croyles
09-17-2009, 10:16 PM

No one is boycotting anything, and if they did, I think most here would agree that would be stupid. Just goes to show that you were a little too quick off the mark.

Madame Adequate
09-18-2009, 01:36 PM
PS3 is a bit :bou::bou::bou::bou: really, there's more in the online store I want than actual games. I got a PS1 at launch and a PS2 a few months after, I played more PS1 games than I didn't and I played a huge number of PS2 games. Between 1995 and 2006 I played more PS stuff than anything else by a wide margin. I don't see why Squenix should for one minute have stuck to the PS3 when Sony couldn't even convince me to buy one over a 360. And whilst PS3 sales are improving now, back when Squenix had to actually make this decision the view was a bit different.

And whilst FFX was a bit extreme about it, it's not as if other FFs have been different in pacing. You have to go through 90% of the game before the majority of the sidequests actually open up.

RoxasLeonhart
09-18-2009, 08:04 PM
thats totally bull

Bolivar
09-18-2009, 08:09 PM
PS3 is a bit :bou::bou::bou::bou: really, there's more in the online store I want than actual games. I got a PS1 at launch and a PS2 a few months after, I played more PS1 games than I didn't and I played a huge number of PS2 games. Between 1995 and 2006 I played more PS stuff than anything else by a wide margin. I don't see why Squenix should for one minute have stuck to the PS3 when Sony couldn't even convince me to buy one over a 360. And whilst PS3 sales are improving now, back when Squenix had to actually make this decision the view was a bit different.

Hillary Clinton is a beautiful woman.

Seriously though, PS3 outsold the 360 worldwide its first year (2007) and continued to do so until the 360 dropped to $199, yet continues to outsell them on a month-for-month time series since launch, and that time series is just coming up now to the 3 year mark when the 360 dropped to $199, at a time when analysts are predicting shortages for the PS3 slim (http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ps3-seeing-stronger-pent-up-demand-shortages-possible-says-analyst/).

While I agree with you that Sony did not convince me either to buy a ps3 in the first year, our unawareness does not change the fact that Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, Ratchet & Clank Future, Warhawk, and Resistance: Fall of Man was actually an amazing Year One Lineup.

Croyles
09-18-2009, 09:49 PM

Hillary Clinton is a beautiful woman.

Seriously though, PS3 outsold the 360 worldwide its first year (2007) and continued to do so until the 360 dropped to $199, yet continues to outsell them on a month-for-month time series since launch, and that time series is just coming up now to the 3 year mark when the 360 dropped to $199, at a time when analysts are predicting shortages for the PS3 slim (http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ps3-seeing-stronger-pent-up-demand-shortages-possible-says-analyst/).

While I agree with you that Sony did not convince me either to buy a ps3 in the first year, our unawareness does not change the fact that Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, Ratchet & Clank Future, Warhawk, and Resistance: Fall of Man was actually an amazing Year One Lineup.

I dont want to completely change the topic here, but, the media and press had a lot to do with that. For some reason all the journalists kept flinging poo at the PS3 and A LOT of misinformation about it came through and is still prevalent somewhat (though i think thats nearly gone now and its pretty equal for systems).
It was the same with the psp "oh it has no games".
Right.... :)

black orb
09-20-2009, 06:39 PM

Me.
>>> Me too..

I blame Bill Gates for everything..:D

Dreddz
09-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Christ. What the hell happened here? I forget about this thread and come back to find anarchy. You lot do realise that the article I linked was merely a comment made by some random on a Playstation website. I doubt any of what he said will affect the game in any dramatic way. I kind of regret making this thread to be honest.

PS3 is a bit :bou::bou::bou::bou: really, there's more in the online store I want than actual games.
So the PS3 is :bou::bou::bou::bou: because of a lack of games? I seriously expected more from you. Seriously.

Croyles
09-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Christ. What the hell happened here? I forget about this thread and come back to find anarchy. You lot do realise that the article I linked was merely a comment made by some random on a Playstation website. I doubt any of what he said will affect the game in any dramatic way. I kind of regret making this thread to be honest.

PS3 is a bit :bou::bou::bou::bou: really, there's more in the online store I want than actual games.
So the PS3 is :bou::bou::bou::bou: because of a lack of games? I seriously expected more from you. Seriously.

:lol: Yes I remember saying that I doubt the article is true, but then I got caught up in it l0l.

Its all pretty stupid to be honest.

arcanedude34
09-22-2009, 02:53 AM
As for bitching about these things, what do you expect? Square Enix is a company that is out there to make money, not to do fans a favour. Do you want them to have the money to continue to develop games after this or do you want them to go bankrupt?

Ugh, don't pull this. You know as well as I do that if they made FFXIII the way they were going to on the PS3 and made a dumbed down one for the 360, they would make AT LEAST as much money as they are dumbing both of them down. Hell, some people may even buy both versions if they're big enough fanboys. Square isn't going to go bankrupt if they don't dumb down the PS3 version, that's not how it works.

If anything, a lot of people are going to not buy the game now that it's been dumbed down from what it could have been, especially since there was outrage about it being multiplatform back when there was no reason for said outrage.

Madame Adequate
09-22-2009, 05:17 AM
As for bitching about these things, what do you expect? Square Enix is a company that is out there to make money, not to do fans a favour. Do you want them to have the money to continue to develop games after this or do you want them to go bankrupt?

Ugh, don't pull this. You know as well as I do that if they made FFXIII the way they were going to on the PS3 and made a dumbed down one for the 360, they would make AT LEAST as much money as they are dumbing both of them down. Hell, some people may even buy both versions if they're big enough fanboys. Square isn't going to go bankrupt if they don't dumb down the PS3 version, that's not how it works.

Yeah no they're not going to make two different games and call them the same thing. Not happening with a major corporation's flagship series.

Edit: And yeah my friend Hagan has a PS3 and he hasn't played a PS3 game on in for several months, just PSN stuff. FFVII has seen moer play than anything else. Whatever anyone else might feel about the console it simply has not convinced me that it is worth my money and considering I was a release price purchaser for both PSX and PS2 and was loyal to Sony throughout I'd say it's a pretty dire state of affairs

Kyros
09-22-2009, 05:48 AM
I'm more surprised that anyone else is surprised. I still dont see how nobody saw this coming. Plus, not like the game's expected to suck hard just b/c its going to be on 360 too.

Markus. D
09-22-2009, 06:38 AM

No one is boycotting anything, and if they did, I think most here would agree that would be stupid. Just goes to show that you were a little too quick off the mark.

I would agree I indeed have, half-reading comments on a thread yields things like that ,_,; apologies.

Bolivar
09-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Edit: And yeah my friend Hagan has a PS3 and he hasn't played a PS3 game on in for several months, just PSN stuff. FFVII has seen moer play than anything else. Whatever anyone else might feel about the console it simply has not convinced me that it is worth my money and considering I was a release price purchaser for both PSX and PS2 and was loyal to Sony throughout I'd say it's a pretty dire state of affairs

I'm sorry man, I'd really hate to derail this thread, but I'd find it pretty hard to believe that you could be excited for any current console at all if your statements are to be believed.

Katamari Forever just came out this week, next week is Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, the week after that is Demon's Souls, and the week after that is Uncharted 2. 2 weeks later is Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, and the God of War Blu-Ray collection as well as Gran Turismo 5 are both slated to come out at the end of the year, not to mention the Uncharted 2 and MAG betas are going on right now. I don't even need to get into the exclusives Sony has coming out at the beginning of next year

Reinforcing this is the fact that Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, Little Big Planet and Valkyria Chronicles surpass anything I've played or seen on other current consoles this generation.

The final point is that Heavenly Sword, the Motorstorm games, inFAMOUS, the Resistance games, SOCOM (since being patched), the Ratchet & Clank Future games, Warhawk and Disgaea 3 can go toe-to-toe with the best on any platform.

I understand the downloadable games appeal to you, but these are all retail discs I've just mentioned, and that's quite a lot for your interest not to be piqued by any of them, current or upcoming. I'm really not trying to start a flame war, I just thought I'd put this list out here so maybe we can clarify some of the things we're talking about.

Depression Moon
09-23-2009, 01:50 AM
You had to break my damn heart Dreddz. I had always a little incling in my heart that this game was going to suck, but I secretly told myself that I was being silly and hotdamn to those American Xbox owners. It's one thing when yáll get a game that's exclusive for a little while and then we get it later with some additions to it, but it's another thing when you jeapordize the quality of my favorite video game franchise of all time.

I totally agree don't regret my old opinion about it staying PS3 exclusive. I was passionate about it then and definitely now. Oh my poor damn heart! Wasn't it enough that we had to wait this long? This might be the last entry for me if I even decide to get it.

Madame Adequate
09-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Words

Maybe Sony need a new marketing department then because I am absolutely not interested in one despite the presence of giant enemy crabs.

Wolf Kanno
09-23-2009, 04:42 AM
To be fair Bolivar, only three titles you mentioned there I am actually interested in. :p

To put this thread back onto topic...

I feel that this information may have sunk some expectations from XIII. Even if it is amazing, its going to be like FFXII where people will always wonder about "what could have been".

arcanedude34: Actually that's a lose/lose situation, if SE forsakes the 360 fans then they can kiss their sales goodbye for the system. Nothing tarnishes a company's rep faster than releasing bad ports and lord know Microsoft isn't going to settle for a AA version of a AAA title. Playing obvious favorites isn't going to help them in this situation.

Personally I'm not too disturbed by the prospect of "FF not pushing the PS3 to its limits" cause my favorite titles tend to be ones that were built on a creative level rather than pushing technology specs. FFXII was a technological marvel of the last generation but I felt P3, which obviously didn't have half the power going into it was a superior game on all fronts(despite that, I still love FFXII :love: ). Even Ico showed off incredible depth and beauty and only used a bit of the PS2 power. SE has been pulling some odd creativity in some of their off handheld titles and I'm curious to see if XIII might use them too since XII was such a wonderful surprise for me from a design perspective.

NeoCracker
09-23-2009, 05:25 AM
To be fair Bolivar, only three titles you mentioned there I am actually interested in. :p

To put this thread back onto topic...

I feel that this information may have sunk some expectations from XIII. Even if it is amazing, its going to be like FFXII where people will always wonder about "what could have been".

arcanedude34: Actually that's a lose/lose situation, if SE forsakes the 360 fans then they can kiss their sales goodbye for the system. Nothing tarnishes a company's rep faster than releasing bad ports and lord know Microsoft isn't going to settle for a AA version of a AAA title. Playing obvious favorites isn't going to help them in this situation.

Personally I'm not too disturbed by the prospect of "FF not pushing the PS3 to its limits" cause my favorite titles tend to be ones that were built on a creative level rather than pushing technology specs. FFXII was a technological marvel of the last generation but I felt P3, which obviously didn't have half the power going into it was a superior game on all fronts(despite that, I still love FFXII :love: ). Even Ico showed off incredible depth and beauty and only used a bit of the PS2 power. SE has been pulling some odd creativity in some of their off handheld titles and I'm curious to see if XIII might use them too since XII was such a wonderful surprise for me from a design perspective.

I'd actually argue the P3 did use a lot of what the PS2's power, at least the FES version.

First, look at the insane library of Persona's available, and everyone of them were very detailed, and the system space things like the fusion system likely took.

Then all the different maps in game and battle mechanics, random treasure generation, the varied AI of characters, as well as the different tactics settings.

Then, in addition to all that, you have the social aspects outside of combat as well. You are basically given not only a full fledged RPG, but you are also given basically a second full fledged game within the social aspects of the game as well.

Then you look into The Answer, which added even more to the game itself. Graphically it may not have been FF XII, but it definately took advantage of a lot of what the PS2 was capable of doing. :p

Wolf Kanno
09-23-2009, 05:53 AM
Actually, a random number generator used to create dungeons and treasure is not as difficult to implement as you think. Port Island City is probably only a third of the size of Rabanastre and due to the stylized graphics, its hardly taxing on the system. Most of the Personas are actually reused and slightly tweaked models from SMT3 and they use less animation than the ones in their original game since they only use two animations as opposed to SMT3 where they stand on your side and occasionally move a bit to make them not appear static as well as various other minor animations.

I'm not saying P3 isn't huge it easily clocks in as an 80+ hour game but the engine needed to produce that game wouldn't need to be as strong or as sophisticated as XII's. XII also has a randomizer for treasure, needs to generate several models on the map at once and do it as seemlessly as possible. Not mention random spawns and multiple effects since spells and attack animation happen simultaneously. It has to utilize multiple A.I. like P3, and do it all with a world created in painstaking detail. P3 has less to worry about than XII.

Both are truly amazing titles that helped define the PS2 for me but I wouldn't be surprised if XII used the PS2 to its limits.

Bolivar
09-23-2009, 06:37 PM

Well, that's fine, my point was just that it's hard to imagine that one could be excited for any current console if the ps3 doesn't interest them (unless of course you're a housemom :p).

Personally I'm not too disturbed by the prospect of "FF not pushing the PS3 to its limits" cause my favorite titles tend to be ones that were built on a creative level rather than pushing technology specs. Even Ico showed off incredible depth and beauty and only used a bit of the PS2 power.

Actually, Ico was in fact a technological marvel, even compared to the final generation of PS2 games. I remember when the game was coming out, that was the first time I heard articles talking about Dynamic Lighting and other graphical techniques that developers in the current High-Definition generation have just started to talk about and using. My gf just beat it 2 weeks ago and it's one of those games that makes me feel we haven't really come that far since then on the graphical level, which is actually pretty sad.

Dreddz
09-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Well, that's fine, my point was just that it's hard to imagine that one could be excited for any current console if the ps3 doesn't interest them (unless of course you're a housemom :p).

While I agree I think theres two things you need to remember. One is that the PS3 and 360 are almost identical with their game libraries. If someone already owns one of the systems, there isn't much incentive to buy the other. If your already satisfied with your system then why drop a load of cash on the other for a few exclusive games. It just isn't a very practical way to spend your money.

Secondly, is that everyone is biased. No matter how much you try not to be, you are. If someone doesn't have any means to play certain games on a platform, they'll lose interest. So don't take offense if someone overlooks the PS3 library. It may seem absurd to you but thats the way things go.

NeoCracker
09-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Actually, a random number generator used to create dungeons and treasure is not as difficult to implement as you think. Port Island City is probably only a third of the size of Rabanastre and due to the stylized graphics, its hardly taxing on the system. Most of the Personas are actually reused and slightly tweaked models from SMT3 and they use less animation than the ones in their original game since they only use two animations as opposed to SMT3 where they stand on your side and occasionally move a bit to make them not appear static as well as various other minor animations.

I'm not saying P3 isn't huge it easily clocks in as an 80+ hour game but the engine needed to produce that game wouldn't need to be as strong or as sophisticated as XII's. XII also has a randomizer for treasure, needs to generate several models on the map at once and do it as seemlessly as possible. Not mention random spawns and multiple effects since spells and attack animation happen simultaneously. It has to utilize multiple A.I. like P3, and do it all with a world created in painstaking detail. P3 has less to worry about than XII.

Both are truly amazing titles that helped define the PS2 for me but I wouldn't be surprised if XII used the PS2 to its limits.

The thing with P3 is shear volume of everything. As well as 3 sperate AI settings, as well as both RPG and an advanced dating simulator aspects.

True, it probably doesn't take what FF XII did, but my point is P3 was a really poor example for what you were getting at, cause it definately took a lot for that game to run. :p

arcanedude34
09-23-2009, 11:25 PM
All I was saying was it would not bankrupt them. Would it be a bad move? Probably, but they seem to be handling this multi-platform thing very sloppily anyway.

Wolf Kanno
09-24-2009, 03:46 AM

See Dreddz's response but to be honest, most housemom's I know are more interested in capping people in Halo 3 or driving around Liberty City in GTA rather than playing Wii Resort or a new Cooking Mama game. I know strange people :eep:

Personally I'm not too disturbed by the prospect of "FF not pushing the PS3 to its limits" cause my favorite titles tend to be ones that were built on a creative level rather than pushing technology specs. Even Ico showed off incredible depth and beauty and only used a bit of the PS2 power.

Actually, Ico was in fact a technological marvel, even compared to the final generation of PS2 games. I remember when the game was coming out, that was the first time I heard articles talking about Dynamic Lighting and other graphical techniques that developers in the current High-Definition generation have just started to talk about and using. My gf just beat it 2 weeks ago and it's one of those games that makes me feel we haven't really come that far since then on the graphical level, which is actually pretty sad.

Ico utilized some pretty wonderful theatre techniques in terms of lighting and also had some excellent use of film camera techniques but from what I've read and heard from my programming buddies, these are once again not elements that are terribly taxing on the console. They just utilized advanced techniques from film and theater set design. I wholly agree that I feel the industry hasn't really stepped up to what Ico brought back in the day. I think Shadow of the Colossus is about the only game that may surpass Ico but its from the same team and its why The Last Guardian is one of the few titles I'm incredibly interested in.

The thing with P3 is shear volume of everything. As well as 3 sperate AI settings, as well as both RPG and an advanced dating simulator aspects.

True, it probably doesn't take what FF XII did, but my point is P3 was a really poor example for what you were getting at, cause it definately took a lot for that game to run. :p

P3 is a triple A title that doesn't push the system as hard as other games but is still fantastic. FFXIII is also a triple A title that may not push the PS3 to its limits but may still be an incredible game nonetheless. How is this not a good analogy?

All I was saying was it would not bankrupt them. Would it be a bad move? Probably, but they seem to be handling this multi-platform thing very sloppily anyway.

It won't and yes they are doing the whole business pretty poorly but to be fair to SE they sorta put themselves into a "damn if you do, damn if you don't" situation. Right now, they are probably just trying to keep their heads above water. If they are smart, they won't repeat this mistake with Versus XIII. Though I can see them wanting to go mulit-platform with XIV in order to take advantage of X-Box Live and because FFXI seems to be doing rather well on the system. It may or may not happen but it won't be as big of a PR scandal as people made XIII to be.

NeoCracker
09-24-2009, 04:10 AM
[QUOTE=NeoCracker;2729740]

P3 is a triple A title that doesn't push the system as hard as other games but is still fantastic. FFXIII is also a triple A title that may not push the PS3 to its limits but may still be an incredible game nonetheless. How is this not a good analogy?

It's mostly the Idea that 'P3 didn't use half of what the system could do' or whatever the exact wording you put in in was. :p

If the only thing needed to draw an analogy is 'a Triple A title that doesn't use all the system has to offer'

And in this case there is a massive difference between the two. FF XIII was initially intended to push the system, but in the end that didn't happen, where as P3 was never intended to do that, it simply used a good chunk of the system, definately more then just half if you ask me, to create a massive library of personas as well as run m a lot of different in battle mechanics and out of battle mechanics smoothly, it wasn't trying to be any kind of technical marvel where as XIII was. :p

Wolf Kanno
09-24-2009, 04:25 AM
When has a first or even second gen game in a console generation ever push the system to its limits? I can bet you money Kojima Production could probably do things with the PS3 now they thought were impossible back when they worked on MGS4 and I feel Kojima has always had more success in pushing a system than SE.

I find it pretty funny people were gullible enough to believe a company could work on a system for the first time and program something that takes the system to its limits. I know several companies made boastful claims but lets be realistic here. No one has ever released a game of that caliber that early in the life cycle of a console.

While FFX and MGS2 were technological milestones for their time, they both look like ass now, compared to MGS3 and FFXII. Both games were released later and used the same hardware but the level of complexity and scope compared to the early installments is staggering. This has always been the case with new (relatively) console systems and I don't see how this generation would be any different. XIII would probably have to be in development for another five years to push the PS3 to its limits.

As for P3, perhaps less than half is an exaggeration but if you just looked at screenshots and not play most would believe me. The point was that P3 utilized clever game design and stylized art to create an amazing experience while XII went the technological route (though to be fair it also used clever game design and stylized art for the in-game models) to achieve its goal. I am just saying that technology doesn't necessarily make a good game. :p

Bolivar
09-25-2009, 04:47 PM
^ I think the argument was that it would be the first game to show what the system was truly capable of. While many media commentators have regarded it as a joke, game designers like Amy Hennig have stated that you can in fact measure the amount of the system's power you're tapping into with regard to the SPU's. Even today developers are still talking about the untapped potential of the PS3, although it would seem Killzone 2 has and Uncharted 2 will beat Square to the punch.

genesizz257
11-19-2009, 02:35 PM
IMO i think they should make the Jap voices as a Downloadable addon for ps3 as some of the game will be installed on the hdd

nirojan
01-08-2010, 05:54 PM
VISUAL DOWNGRADE ANYONE??

http://blog-imgs-18-origin.fc2.com/h/a/t/hatimaki/hatima_ff13_risou1s.jpg
http://blog-imgs-18-origin.fc2.com/h/a/t/hatimaki/hatima_ff13_rekka1s.jpg

http://blog-imgs-18-origin.fc2.com/h/a/t/hatimaki/hatima_ff13_risou2.jpg
http://blog-imgs-18-origin.fc2.com/h/a/t/hatimaki/hatima_ff13_rekka2.jpg

http://blog-imgs-18-origin.fc2.com/h/a/t/hatimaki/hatima_ff13_hikaku1.jpg
look @ how smooth the characters were before the downgrade.

THIS IS REALLY GETS ME!!
http://blog-imgs-18-origin.fc2.com/h/a/t/hatimaki/hatima_ff13_risou3s.jpg
http://blog-imgs-18-origin.fc2.com/h/a/t/hatimaki/hatima_ff13_rekka03s.jpg
look @ how blank her expressions are now! The textures were soo vibrant, but now its soo simplistic!

Here's the site i got it from:
µì¤Ï¤Á¤Þµ¯¹Æ - ¡Ö¥Õ¥¡¥¤¥Ê¥ë¥Õ¥¡¥ó¥¿¥¸¡¼13¡×¤Ï½çÄ´¤ËÎô²½¤·¤Æ¤¤¤ë¤è¤¦¤Ç¤¹ (http://hatimaki.blog110.fc2.com/blog-entry-1280.html)

SO remember to flip the finger @ the 360 for ruining this game!

01-08-2010, 07:28 PM
The blog is about comparing the images from early screenshots to later development shots. Furthermore, the second set is comparing a screenshot from Square Enix to a capture off a TV from the FFXIII trailer that came with the overseas version of Advent Children.

The last image, they don't say what the two sources are, just "Early" and "Recent" production.

The overall article is about the decline in quality from the earlier days of production or what appears to be so.

It says nothing about the 360 version and there's a lot about those images we don't know, like if they are on the same system/have the same hook up. For all we know, one could be on a SD TV and the other on a HDTV. :/

What I am saying is don't count your chicks before they hatch.

Goldenboko
01-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Fans really love to bitch.

The first thing I'm going to throw out is, I don't understand what possible drives a person to want something to be exclusive just so XBOX, Wii, PS3 or whatever owners cannot play it, don't tell me, "I was afraid it was going to get compromised." People where cheering while it was exclusive, just because XBOX owners couldn't get it.

Second, the changes seem very minute. The availability of quests at different times will actually be fun to me, taking me back to the FFV, VII, VIII, and IX days. And Japanese voices? Realistically I wasn't going to use that anyway, and fans that complain 'Well I was.' it isn't a terribly important part of gameplay.

Unless there's a quest, or element of gameplay that is truly removed, I support Enix's decision as it will make them more money and make the game more available to me and my friends.

EDIT: I'd like to note that this is posted from someone with both an XBOX and a PS3 (due to my brother's overspending).

Wolf Kanno
01-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Throw in the fact that the Japanese Voice track wasn't even a planned option to begin with and simply fan speculation you've got people complaining about features being removed that never existed. :roll2

nirojan
01-08-2010, 08:41 PM
The blog is about comparing the images from early screenshots to later development shots. Furthermore, the second set is comparing a screenshot from Square Enix to a capture off a TV from the FFXIII trailer that came with the overseas version of Advent Children.

The last image, they don't say what the two sources are, just "Early" and "Recent" production.

The overall article is about the decline in quality from the earlier days of production or what appears to be so.

It says nothing about the 360 version and there's a lot about those images we don't know, like if they are on the same system/have the same hook up. For all we know, one could be on a SD TV and the other on a HDTV. :/

well i have the overseas edition of FF&:AC complete and can guarantee you that this is not a difference of SD to HD. There has been a dramtic decrease of quality and the only real adjuster that came in the said timeline was the announcing that there'd be a 360 version.

Im bettin that you got a 360 so thats why your not taking it to heart like we PS3-owners are! The fact is that the PS3 is a superior machine, can run superior graphics, sound and has better all around quality. So when they announced there'd be port to 360 it only makes sense that they had to decrease some of the aspect of the game to fit microsoft's CrapBOX.

PS. i hate it how 360 owners never admit that whenever there's amultiplatform game, their system is the one that drags it down.....with the odd exception of Bayonnetta

charliepanayi
01-08-2010, 08:58 PM
People really will find any reason to bitch when a title goes multiformat. 'Oh no, being on that evil XBOX360 as well is wrecking this game!' Come off it, what you really mean is 'I don't like said console and I need to find a reason to have a go at it'.

Goldenboko
01-08-2010, 09:13 PM

well i have the overseas edition of FF&:AC complete and can guarantee you that this is not a difference of SD to HD. There has been a dramtic decrease of quality and the only real adjuster that came in the said timeline was the announcing that there'd be a 360 version.

Im bettin that you got a 360 so thats why your not taking it to heart like we PS3-owners are! The fact is that the PS3 is a superior machine, can run superior graphics, sound and has better all around quality. So when they announced there'd be port to 360 it only makes sense that they had to decrease some of the aspect of the game to fit microsoft's CrapBOX.

PS. i hate it how 360 owners never admit that whenever there's amultiplatform game, their system is the one that drags it down.....with the odd exception of Bayonnetta

For the most part, absolutely not. Have you looked at the difference between the Wii or PS2 version of Call of Duty and any of the others? Being multiplatformed does not require a game to downgrade it's graphics.

VeloZer0
01-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm not going to lie, it when I have exclusive access to something others don't it makes me feel a little superior. It shouldn't, but does to a small extent.

01-09-2010, 04:56 AM

Umm, right you should not gamble. I have a PS3 and have little interest in getting a 360 outside a handful of games. I'm just level headed enough not to jump to conclusions. What I hate are fanboys of either 360 or PS3 that whine and bemoan each other.

I was merely pointing out that your correlation between the decrease in quality and it being release on the 360 is false. The blog post does not prove that. It merely points out the surprising (to the author) fact that the quality of the graphics have decreased throughout production.

It doesn't give enough information to make any accurate assumptions as to why. Given that the blog was made long before the release of FFXIII in Japan, for all I know (unless I go ask my friend who imported the game) the Japanese version could be suffering from the same decrease in graphic qualities. A decrease in quality in the Japanese version would have nothing to do with it being released on the 360 since it is not being released on said console in Japan.

While there are some drawbacks that I feel has happened because of the multi-platform released, I don't see it as a big deal.

Oh and the biggest issues with multi-platform games that PS3 fanboys seem to forget is that often games are made for the 360 cuz it is easier and then just ported to the PS3, thus not utilizing the full potential of the console. It is more of a laziness on the part of the companies than anything inherent to the 360 or PS3. :P

Shadowdust
01-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Umm, right you should not gamble. I have a PS3 and have little interest in getting a 360 outside a handful of games. I'm just level headed enough not to jump to conclusions. What I hate are fanboys of either 360 or PS3 that whine and bemoan each other.

I was merely pointing out that your correlation between the decrease in quality and it being release on the 360 is false. The blog post does not prove that. It merely points out the surprising (to the author) fact that the quality of the graphics have decreased throughout production.

It doesn't give enough information to make any accurate assumptions as to why. Given that the blog was made long before the release of FFXIII in Japan, for all I know (unless I go ask my friend who imported the game) the Japanese version could be suffering from the same decrease in graphic qualities. A decrease in quality in the Japanese version would have nothing to do with it being released on the 360 since it is not being released on said console in Japan.

While there are some drawbacks that I feel has happened because of the multi-platform released, I don't see it as a big deal.

Oh and the biggest issues with multi-platform games that PS3 fanboys seem to forget is that often games are made for the 360 cuz it is easier and then just ported to the PS3, thus not utilizing the full potential of the console. It is more of a laziness on the part of the companies than anything inherent to the 360 or PS3. :P

I completely agree.

It's been over three years since my last numbered Final Fantasy release. At this point, I could really care less how one console brings down the visuals of the game. In the end, the gameplay and the story are what matter and the pretty eye candy effect will wear off within hours of beginning gameplay.

And the delays due to the 360 version have been minimal if you think about it. We have to wait a mere quarter year compared to previous releases that took half a year or longer to make it overseas. To me, that sounds like no delay at all!

Anyway, just be happy the game is coming out. It's just been too long waiting for one of my favorite series of games to get moving again. I would gladly sacrifice visual quality if that would get these games pumped out a little faster.

VeloZer0
01-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Anyway, just be happy the game is coming out. ... I would gladly sacrifice visual quality if that would get these games pumped out a little faster.

I couldn't agree with that sentiment more.

Wolf Kanno
01-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Anyway, just be happy the game is coming out. ... I would gladly sacrifice visual quality if that would get these games pumped out a little faster.

I couldn't agree with that sentiment more.

Amen!

Bolivar
01-13-2010, 01:47 AM

The first thing I'm going to throw out is, I don't understand what possible drives a person to want something to be exclusive

There's a simple answer to that, really. When you work on a single platform you can dedicate all your resources to that system and optimize your game for it. This isn't speculation, many developers have commented on it. That's why games like Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavenly Sword, and Little Big Planet can only be done on the PS3, just like Gears of War and...

uhhhhh.... I'll get back to you on that.

Anyway, I think it's reasonable to say that people can point out that something has been compromised and at the same time not run around like the sky is falling. The two aren't mutually dependent. I'm sure I can speak for most that have talked about it, that while I may be slightly disappointed, more than anything I'm happy to be able to play the next installment in one of my favorite franchises in a few months now, just like shadowdust pointed out..

edit: oh yeah I forgot, turns out the 360 version really didn't compromise the ps3 version (maybe)
N4G.com : FF XIII on Xbox 360 Losing 15GB of Data? (http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-447138.aspx)

VeloZer0
01-13-2010, 02:51 AM
The article says that the game is 38GB, and the three DVDs it is being released on will only have 25 GB of space. I just looked it up and a HD-DVD has 15 GB of space, and last time I checked 3GB x 15GB = 45GB for single-layered disks, and grand total of 90 GB if three dual-layer HD-DVDs are used.

Either I'm missing something or these concerns don't make sense at all.

(Context for those of you like me who don't have such specs memorized, a Blu-Ray has 25-33 GB and a dual-layer has 50 GB. How a single layer can vary as much as +30% size, I know not.)

RedPouch
01-13-2010, 03:27 AM
They do. Sometimes it's with merit, but usually it's not.

The first thing I'm going to throw out is, I don't understand what possible drives a person to want something to be exclusive just so XBOX, Wii, PS3 or whatever owners cannot play it, don't tell me, "I was afraid it was going to get compromised." People where cheering while it was exclusive, just because XBOX owners couldn't get it.
Haha, it's more of that "my gaming-console company can beat up your gaming-console company" thing we briefly discussed in that other topic. I can understand some slight disappointment for this supposed compromise though to me it really isn't a big deal at all, and we all know that the player is likely not even going to think about it while playing through the game. Admittedly, I'm going to prefer to get the PS3 version for the purposes of it being on one disc only, but it's getting really annoying seeing all the 13 year-olds and the anti-360/microsoft attitudes.

Second, the changes seem very minute.
^ This.

And Japanese voices? Realistically I wasn't going to use that anyway, and fans that complain 'Well I was.' it isn't a terribly important part of gameplay.
I do have to admit that I'm slightly disappointed with this aspect because I always prefer Japanese voice with subtitles, but it's only because JRPG's are notorious for having horrendously terrible English voice acting, but it still isn't even a big deal.

Unless there's a quest, or element of gameplay that is truly removed, I support Enix's decision as it will make them more money and make the game more available to me and my friends.
^ THIS

EDIT: I'd like to note that this is posted from someone with both an XBOX and a PS3 (due to my brother's overspending).
Now what another fancy coincidence. I too, have access to both consoles, only because of my own brother's overspending.

Slothy
01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
The article says that the game is 38GB, and the three DVDs it is being released on will only have 25 GB of space. I just looked it up and a HD-DVD has 15 GB of space, and last time I checked 3GB x 15GB = 45GB for single-layered disks, and grand total of 90 GB if three dual-layer HD-DVDs are used.

I'm not sure if your confused by them fitting 38GB's on 3 DVD's (which they can't) or the complaints that the PS3 version may have been compromised.

If it's the former that's confusing you, the 38GB's is likely uncompressed HD content. So textures, CG scenes, and even sound all being totally uncompressed on the PS3 and therefore the highest possible quality. They'd undoubtedly have to compress that stuff to fit on DVD's for the 360 if it's actually 38GB's and they're really putting it on 3 DVD's. That'd mean some drop in visual and audio quality, though to be perfectly honest you'd probably never notice without scrutinizing them side by side.

As for the complaints that the 360 version crippled the PS3 version, I really doubt it had that much effect. Most of the design choices they made would have had to have been locked down long before the 360 version was announced.

I don't get wanting an exclusive simply so owners of another console can't play it either. I do believe exclusives are an important part of the industry (without them we'd have no reason for multiple consoles and having an industry with absolutely no competition would be bad for consumers), but the whole us vs. them mentality among some console owners is absurd. The only thing that separates you and another console owner is taste in exclusives and about $300.

Bolivar
01-13-2010, 01:16 PM

(Context for those of you like me who don't have such specs memorized, a Blu-Ray has 25-33 GB and a dual-layer has 50 GB. How a single layer can vary as much as +30% size, I know not.)

Actually the 360 isn't compatible with HD-DVD's. They once had an add-on that could play movies on HD-DVD's but it's been discontinued. The standard for the system is DVD9, dual-layered DVD's holding about 9GB's each.

Like Vivi22 said, the data on the Blu-Ray is all uncompressed while it's pretty much a given that it will be compressed for the 360, and that doesn't even seem like a problem since the system's demonstrated it's really good at uncompressing and processing data very quickly. So between video and audio that'll definitely knock off a couple gigs (I think).

Someone also brought up that the videos on ps3 will be 1080p native and 720p native on 360; that's not a big deal either because the difference doesn't become noticeable until you start getting into larger HDTV's.

Only the comparison vids will tell for sure, but I'm sure most of us will be too busy playing the game to actually care.

Serapy
01-13-2010, 02:21 PM
It`s normal for developers to not add some created pieces into the final stage.

But according to that article, the amount of deleted content seems pretty large. The 360 is obviously to blame. Here comes the question: would SquareEnix choose money over loyalty?

We all can hope that the deleted content can be part of DLC or the international version. True, they said that the international version may never happen, but it`s possible that they`ll change mind.

VeloZer0
01-13-2010, 03:01 PM
My mistake, I recalled the 360 supporting HD-DVDs, but I guess I was just hearing about the discontinued add-on. The whole FMV compression thing makes perfect sense to me, the sizes just didn't add up.

Now I'm down to not giving a dam if the cinematics are rendered in slightly lower detail.

Mirage
02-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Sorry about necrobump, but totally relevant:

FFXIII Slightly Worse on Xbox 360 | NowGamer (http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2526/ffxiii-significantly-poorer-on-xbox)

Now all those PS3 fanboys can feel at least a bit superior in their miserable little lives.

RedPouch
02-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Finally, an sensible article on this. I'm thinking about getting both versions of the game once it's released officially in the US to get a good look for myself.

Jessweeee♪
02-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Here comes the question: would SquareEnix choose money over loyalty?

They're a business, loyalty is money o.o

hitman1984
02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
tbh i onyl play on a ps3 never had an xbox an in all likely hood never will own a 360 or the next gen microsoft console. It's a bit of bad news for 360 fans but tbh XIII should've remained exclusive to the PS franchise if the 360 version was going to be less superior.

Mirage
02-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Why?

Chaos Mage
02-24-2010, 12:49 PM
I own both systems and enjoy both for different things. When it comes to online MP I use the 360, however when it comes to split screen or single player I'm mainly a PS3 fan. I've been a fan of Sony's entertainment systems for a long time and Squaresoft/Square-Enix fan for even longer. But this here really makes me re-evaluate all of that. I'm pretty annoyed that they would downgrade the quality of a game to be "Fair" to both consoles. Fair nothing. They chose to purchase a system that doesn't support blu-ray so they get a sub-standard edition of the game. That's just the way it is. If you're system can't handle it just like if your computer doesn't have the minimum specs to play a game, you either don't get the game or upgrade your system. (i.e. get PS3) I'm by no means a PS3 fan boy, but if the system you purchased can't handle the software then it shouldn't get it. I'm disappointed to see Square-Enix go so hardcore to the side of capitalist greed.

Jiro
02-24-2010, 01:30 PM
I don't really care how pretty the game is; if it's good then I'll like it, if it sucks then I'll hate it. I can still get enjoyment out of earlier FF titles and that look like my breakfast after I've thrown it up twice compared to the graphics we've got now.

I don't honestly believe they cut content out of the game either. Or, if they did, why the hell would they tell people. I mean, that's an idiotic idea.

jammi567
02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Square-Enix Defends Linear Design In Final Fantasy XIII - PlayStation 3 News at IGN (http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1070753p1.html)

I have no idea where to put this, so I'll put it here for now, at least.

Anyways, the game's director basically defends the linity of the game, by saying that it nchanges once the player reaches Pulse.

Mirage
02-24-2010, 02:53 PM
It's bad that they feel insecure enough about their game to go out and defend it like that.

Mercen-X
02-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Now all those PS3 fanboys can feel at least a bit superior in their miserable little lives.

Yes! Awesome! And I don't even own a PS3!

aolujumu
02-24-2010, 04:22 PM
I prefer the one on xbox 360...

hitman1984
02-24-2010, 05:39 PM
lol i defo don't feel superior playing a Ps3 but to be honest i've never felt the need to go out there and own all three consoles tbh i dont have enough time to play three consoles, i dont really have loads of time to play one now lol so i guess owning a Ps3 for me is just a choice i stuck with since day one the PS came out.

Bolivar
02-24-2010, 08:51 PM
lol i defo don't feel superior playing a Ps3 but to be honest i've never felt the need to go out there and own all three consoles tbh i dont have enough time to play three consoles, i dont really have loads of time to play one now lol so i guess owning a Ps3 for me is just a choice i stuck with since day one the PS came out.

I think people who own 3 consoles are either living very comfortably, or feel some kind of insecure need to prove to others they have a valid opinion. In a lot of forums people throw it out constantly in their posts and signatures as some kind of defense badge.

Regardless of which system you own there's enough worthwhile exclusives and multiplatform games to take up your time. The Wii may have slowed down a bit, but that's probably going to change this year with that new Metroid game coming out in June and all.

RedPouch
02-24-2010, 09:05 PM
I prefer the one on xbox 360...
Why? That doesn't even make sense [I'm assuming you're talking about FF XIII? If not, then ignore this post]. I get irritated to no end by all the Sony fanboys that exaggerate and create "facts" so they can try and rant about the PS3's superiority over the 360 when they haven't even done actual research and tech comparisons aside from blah-blah-blah Sony fanboy input found on Google, but the PS3's version of FF XIII is still slightly better than the 360 version. At least according to the article that Mirage posted.

Flying Arrow
02-28-2010, 03:12 PM
It's bad that they feel insecure enough about their game to go out and defend it like that.

I don't really get insecurity from SE on FF13, but more an attempt to quell the furious negative word-of-mouth about "linearity" raging on in the non-linear nerd kingdom of virgins.

On another note, being a Final Fantasy fan for more years than I like to admit, I find it interesting that with each new numbered release an almost entirely new set of 'criticisms' pops up among fans. Sometimes I find it charming, but other times I weep at knowing that most of these detractors have been fans longer than I have and have probably circled their mid-20s coming on 30.