PDA

View Full Version : Nerd Power >;3

Jojee
09-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Yesterday, I played D&D for five hours. 8-] And we woulda gone on longer but I had to leave, so we're continuing next week! I'm an elf cleric named Skye~ :ffvising:

I have reached the ultimate pinnacle of nerdiness. I'm so nerdy that I'm in awe of myself. ^_^ Bow before me~~!

I think all my IRL friends (aside from the D&D ones xDD) will stop talking to me forever now.

Discuss D&D, or my awesomeness, or try to one up me on nerdiness. :mog:

(。◕‿‿◕。)

P.S. nerds are hot.

Caraliz
09-08-2009, 05:40 PM
magic the gathering!

Jojee
09-08-2009, 05:41 PM
I played that too! xD With Steve and Wesley, back in the day. I had awesome green decks <3

Freya
09-08-2009, 05:41 PM
I think D&D is above magic :/

Jojee
09-08-2009, 05:42 PM
xDD krissy said I should run an online D&D game and we can do it through MSN chat! ;)

Aerith's Knight
09-08-2009, 05:46 PM
No...

..just no.

CimminyCricket
09-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Never tried D&D, but I do love me some Magic.

Shoeberto
09-08-2009, 07:05 PM
D&D is pretty entry-level nerd tbh. Keep a campaign going for more than three sessions and I might start to be impressed. Run GURPS and make it last for as many and I'll call you a nerd.

NeoCracker
09-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Forget GURPS, you need to get into Anima yo. Also, what edition of D&D? That will greatly effect the level of nerdiness.

Psychotic
09-08-2009, 07:19 PM
If I ever played D&D I'd just be an annoying prick who did wacky :bou::bou::bou::bou: and betray all my party members in comical ways. And I'd be protected and indeed justified because of Chaotic Neutral.

Mirage
09-08-2009, 07:23 PM
World of darkness is where it's at, guys.

Too bad I don't know too many who play that, so i usually settle for dungeons and dragons. And it's still just like once every half year.

Freya
09-08-2009, 07:56 PM
D&D is pretty entry-level nerd tbh. Keep a campaign going for more than three sessions and I might start to be impressed. Run GURPS and make it last for as many and I'll call you a nerd.

You are such a nerd.

Markus. D
09-08-2009, 07:57 PM
The nerds I know or have met are usually the hottest people ever.

hothothot.

I want to adopt them.
edit: 3.5 <3

scrumpleberry
09-08-2009, 08:03 PM
I have magic cards!

And noone to play with :'( I've totally forgotten how to play!

I don't think I could be arsed with D&D tbh, it seems like you'd spend more time calculating than exploring or beating up monsters or whatever - not much fun.

Oh a few years back I wrote some ~HILARIOUS~ fanfictions, does that count? Also I'm always fanarting. I find it easier to use other people's concepts for practise. I don't have to work much on the design so I'm normally happy to finish them.

rubah
09-08-2009, 08:08 PM
I bought stu some magic cards in France in French ;)

my nerdiness isn't gamer nerdy; my life is nerdom, though

Peegee
09-08-2009, 08:08 PM
D&D is just a tedious form of any fantasy video game such as RO WoW or what-have-you.

Try being a pokemon master.

Aerith's Knight
09-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm the coolest of all the nerds. :cool:

Rodarian
09-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Hey I'm a self professed Nerd.. A stylish nerd but nerd none the less...

Yet I'm still not Jojee;s type.... T_T

j/ks!

Mirage
09-08-2009, 08:38 PM
D&D is just a tedious form of any fantasy video game such as RO WoW or what-have-you.

I think it would be hard for you to be even more wrong.

Pen and paper RPGs aren't like RO or WoW at all. The closest you'd get in the "computer world" is probably games like Morrowind or Oblivion, but even that's still quite different.

Hope I'm not being trolled now.

Madame Adequate
09-08-2009, 08:55 PM

Well if you've got a :bou::bou::bou::bou: GM who can't tell a story, or a :bou::bou::bou::bou: bunch of people playing who only want to dungeon crawl, then yes. If you're playing with competent people who understand that the "role playing" part of "RPG" doesn't mean "XP grinding & loot whoring" then it's another matter entirely.

Also: Go play some Shadowrun or Changeling or something.

Bunny
09-08-2009, 09:12 PM

Well if you've got a :bou::bou::bou::bou: GM who can't tell a story, or a :bou::bou::bou::bou: bunch of people playing who only want to dungeon crawl, then yes. If you're playing with competent people who understand that the "role playing" part of "RPG" doesn't mean "XP grinding & loot whoring" then it's another matter entirely..

This, basically. Think of D&D as more of an interactive group-written novel rather than a bunch of people sitting in a circle crawling through a dungeon and you've basically got a good atmosphere for D&D. Personally, never played, but I kept abreast of the rules pre-4th edition and read a lot of the books for enjoyment. Never could find a group of people interested in playing though.

I also played M:TG during my high school lunch period and bought the XBox 360 game to enjoy the nostalgia. I would buy several decks (the one I have in mind is based loosely on one of the decks I played on the 360) and even calculated the price of each individual card.

I play WoW and plan on writing an observation essay on the social atmosphere surrounding the game. I have three level 80 characters and plan on rolling another one as soon as I transfer to Draka.

Beat that, bitches.

Aerith's Knight
09-08-2009, 09:20 PM
The only thing I would want to play D&D for is game master. He gets to make up stories right? With all the power? :D

black orb
09-08-2009, 09:20 PM
>>> Never played D&D and Magic, I guess im not nerd enough..

Jojee
09-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I was playing 4th Edition. Are the other ones really different? o_O

@Peeg: I am a pokemon master!

@Rodarian: Actually, you're pretty cute~ I just said that because I was annoyed that you kept posting your pictures everywhere in unrelated threads. xD But I'm over that now.

Crimson
09-08-2009, 09:45 PM
HELL YEAH NERDISM. *drool*

Gonna go dust off my Yu-Gi-Oh dragon deck.

krissy
09-08-2009, 10:00 PM
i used to be in tga

/thread

NeoCracker
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I was playing 4th Edition. Are the other ones really different? o_O

@Peeg: I am a pokemon master!

@Rodarian: Actually, you're pretty cute~ I just said that because I was annoyed that you kept posting your pictures everywhere in unrelated threads. xD But I'm over that now.

Yeah, 3.5 is far superior to 4E. The systems they used are like, entirely different games. Though that can be said for each addition to the next.

Madonna
09-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Just so you know, Jiaoberry: Skye d'Zarnagon - tgaWiki (http://www.thegamersalliance.net/w/Skye_d%27Zarnagon)

Breine
09-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Me and three of my friends actually played D&D for maybe two years. We used to meet like every third weekend and play an entire afternoon.

It was actually a lot of fun, and I kinda wish I had my D&D notebooks lying around, so that I could look in them and become all nostalgic. In fact, we played maybe two different games, and so I've had two different characters. Don't even remember what they were called or what class they had, but I remember I acquired a red dragon at one point, that we used to fly around on and other awesome stuff... I think one of my characters might've been a mage?

...I now realize how big of a nerd I actually am xD

rubah
09-09-2009, 12:18 AM
I actually hate roleplaying and only want to abuse the mechanics of games. Just ask Roogle.

Psychotic
09-09-2009, 01:03 AM
Pen and paper RPGs aren't like RO or WoW at all. The closest you'd get in the "computer world" is probably games like Morrowind or Oblivion, but even that's still quite different.Wrong, suckah! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_the_Beholder_%28video_game%29) I had the original EotB on my Amiga back when I was a little kid. Game used to scare the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of me.

VexNet
09-09-2009, 04:25 AM
I'm not a nerd at all.

I do enjoy the RP games, MMORPG, Animé, Video games and all..

Jojee
09-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Boy, this D&D stuff is a lot of work. :|

I'm supposed to figure out what my character looks like and a backstory. (PS haha Lynx, I remember that! This char is different though, same name. xD)

Anyway, here's my character yay for finding random pictures online and re-coloring them ^_^

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/sukifruit/skye-1.png

Freya
09-09-2009, 04:57 AM
She's hot, I'd tap that ;)

Mirage
09-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Pen and paper RPGs aren't like RO or WoW at all. The closest you'd get in the "computer world" is probably games like Morrowind or Oblivion, but even that's still quite different.Wrong, suckah! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_the_Beholder_%28video_game%29) I had the original EotB on my Amiga back when I was a little kid. Game used to scare the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of me.

Does the game let me attempt on doing practically *anything* one could possible come up with, and have a story that would change according to all these things?

Rodarian
09-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Boy, this D&D stuff is a lot of work. :|

I'm supposed to figure out what my character looks like and a backstory. (PS haha Lynx, I remember that! This char is different though, same name. xD)

Anyway, here's my character yay for finding random pictures online and re-coloring them ^_^

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/sukifruit/skye-1.png

:drool:..... I'm such a pig!

Værn
09-09-2009, 08:58 AM
My group started a game in 2006 and continued the same campaign for a little over two years, until a few months ago. I believe that roughly one session a week adds up to more than 3, so how's that?
The DM's brother wanted to try out 4E, so we've been playing that for the past couple months. The 3.5 game is on hold for a while.

My 3.5 character is a level 6 Bard/4 Lyric Thaumaturge/2 Sublime Chord. His name was originally Ling, but acquired the name Doortalker after casting Glibness on himself and bluffing a door into unlocking itself and opening for him. (Someone on the other side heard me talking to the door, opened it, and asked what the heck I was doing. I told them I could open the door by talking to it, but they didn't believe me :D)

My 4E character was a chaotic neutral sorcerer (Wild Magic). Everybody insisted that chaotic neutral doesn't exist any more, but I showed them! Anyways, he got took a mace to the back of the face. Now I have a cleric that heals the party like there's no tomorrow.
Our old cleric decided that his character "didn't do enough for the party in combat," so he made a druid as a replacement. Then BAM! I died next session when there was nobody capable of healing me. He insisted that our paladin can heal, but he can only use Lay On Hands a few times per day. And he needs to be close enough to lay his hands on somebody to use Lay On Hands. So my cleric is specifically built for healing, just so I can be more useful than his cleric was~

After playing through a few encounters in D&D, we always play some Magic. I built all of my decks on a relatively low budget so they barely ever win, but it's still fun to play.

The only thing I would want to play D&D for is game master. He gets to make up stories right? With all the power?
Yes. All the power. If he says your character contracts an incurable deadly virus and dies, then your character contracts an incurable deadly virus and dies. That is why I prefer the title 'Game Operations Director' rather than 'Game Master' or 'Dungeon Master'.

Aerith's Knight
09-09-2009, 10:34 AM
She's hot, I'd tap that ;)

Agreed.

Jiro
09-09-2009, 03:29 PM
I guess I'm not as nerdy as I once thought. It's not my fault it's like D&D doesn't exist in my little section of the world. I should've moved near Markus, then I would've met these hot nerds and everything would be wonderful :D

Værn
09-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I guess I'm not as nerdy as I once thought. It's not my fault it's like D&D doesn't exist in my little section of the world. I should've moved near Markus, then I would've met these hot nerds and everything would be wonderful :D
Where do you live? o.o
I live in an obscure enough location, and for our 4E game we have to go out of our way to *not* tell people when we're playing to keep the party small so it doesn't take an hour to finish a single round of combat.

Jojee
09-09-2009, 05:24 PM
It took us an hour to finish a single battle at least xD And there were only 4 of us playing, with 1 DM-person.

The first battle took us like two hours. xD But that's because I had no clue what I was doing and one of the other people playing had some clue but not a lot.

Mogi
09-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Jesswee has the hottest ever nerdy glasses.
:3

I can't one-up you, Jojee, but I definitely downloaded the soundtracks to Mercenaries and Fable, on top of like fifty other of my favourite games, a few days ago. X3
I got over 700 videah game songs. :</>D

Legally, of course.

theundeadhero
09-10-2009, 06:25 AM
I played for the year I was in Korea, but honestly it was less hardcore playing and more something to socialize over while we drank after the mandatory curfew.

Other nerdy things I do:
Read fantasy books
Make web pages
Play RPGs
Consider being a moderater at an FF message board an accomplishment :p

But, you're right. I'll never be as nerdy as you :hyper:

The Space Pope
09-14-2009, 06:21 AM
I want to be a non conformist just like everyone else

Rye
09-14-2009, 06:28 AM
Um. I'm not sure how nerdy I am.

I don't know anything near enough about computers to be any kind of linux nerd girl, but I'm nerdy enough to be one of the only people I know outside of the internet who uses torrents.

I don't play video games much anymore.

As for media, I'd say I'm a giant geek there. I'm a massive book worm and I love movies and TV shows.

I guess you would have to categorize me as a compulsive internet using fandom girl with we*aboo tendencies? Sounds pretty unoriginal to me. :greenie:

Araciel
09-14-2009, 09:33 AM
If I ever played D&D I'd just be an annoying prick who did wacky :bou::bou::bou::bou: and betray all my party members in comical ways. And I'd be protected and indeed justified because of Chaotic Neutral.

AKA you'd be you.

Aussi I play D&D regularly and tried multiple times to recruit eoffers for an online game to no avail.

Blue Harvest
09-14-2009, 11:51 AM
My new music phone is filled with nothing but videogame music, mostly Sonic the Hedgehog. How's that for nerdy? :tongue:

Laddy
09-14-2009, 12:31 PM
I love me some DnD.

KentaRawr!
09-15-2009, 03:00 PM
I've never played D&D, personally. I'd really like to, though. :p

When it comes to nerdiness, well, I'm a video game nerd.

Araciel
09-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Once again, if anyone is interested and nerdy enough to double their nerdiness, I would run a #dnd or MSN/skype game. You don't need to know rules you just have to want to raid some dungeons and have good times at taverns with your fellow eoffers.

Raistlin
09-17-2009, 02:07 AM
I've never really done D&D, unfortunately - largely because the people around me were not interested. But other nerdy things I've done (outside of the obvious video games and message board stuff):

-Magic: the Gathering (not really at the moment, but the last two years of college pretty heavily, including going to a couple of large tournaments)

-Tons of fantasy books (I'm pretty sure I own over 50 DragonLance novels)

-Fantasy MMOs (Ultima Online and Everquest)

-Fantasy Online RPing (Years of tGA, Magestar, and even Britt's old RP)

Blue Harvest
09-17-2009, 11:20 AM
I've never played D&D but I want to.

The Space Pope
09-18-2009, 01:29 PM
YouTube - D&D by Stephen Lynch, Live at El Rey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyxnEKTjhj0)

The main riff sounds like Nirvana's About A Girl