PDA

View Full Version : Dvorak

Necronopticous
09-09-2009, 12:06 AM
I am learning to type on the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkMB5Q27nQI">Dvorak Simplified Keyboard</a>. After just one day of practice I have already hit a modest 15 WPM. I am excited to catch up to, or possibly surpass, my current QWERTY typing speed.

Why aren't you learning the Dvorak layout?

<center>http://www.aarontoponce.org/presents/dvorak/images/dvorak.png</center>

Bunny
09-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Because I'm used to, and like, the QWERTY style.

LunarWeaver
09-09-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm too lazy for that whole learning thing.

Shlup
09-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Your nerdery has reached new heights. :|

Meat Puppet
09-09-2009, 12:14 AM
What’s the point?

rubah
09-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Because if I took the time to learn an alternate layout, I would use Colemak. Similar to dvorak but includes certain key changes so that coders won't be looking everywhere for the <

Necronopticous
09-09-2009, 12:18 AM
What’s the point?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkMB5Q27nQI">Dvorak Simplified Keyboard</a>

Del Murder
09-09-2009, 12:21 AM
I had a new coworker who insisted on using a dvorak keyboard. They ended up getting it for him but he quit after about a month. We left it on the guy who replaced him's keyboard to mess with him. It's still around here somewhere.

I type using only my two index fingers so it doesn't really matter which keyboard I use.

Necronopticous
09-09-2009, 12:29 AM
I had a new coworker who insisted on using a dvorak keyboard. They ended up getting it for him but he quit after about a month. We left it on the guy who replaced him's keyboard to mess with him. It's still around here somewhere.
He didn't need to be insisting on any keyboard if he had to look at what letters were physically written on it in order to type.

Rye
09-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Is this more or less highly recommend than Mr. Wand?

Del Murder
09-09-2009, 12:33 AM
He didn't need to be insisting on any keyboard if he had to look at what letters were physically written on it in order to type.
I don't really know what that means.

It took me 47 seconds to type this.

Madame Adequate
09-09-2009, 12:35 AM
I cba. Though I know it'd be better in the long run, I am complacent.

Old Manus
09-09-2009, 12:36 AM
I hoped this would be about Antonin Dvorak :(

Necronopticous
09-09-2009, 12:38 AM
I don't really know what that means.
You don't need a special keyboard to use the Dvorak layout. It's a simple setting on almost every operating system in existence. That guy was either an idiot, or just being a douchebag with his request for a special keyboard.

Yar
09-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Why aren't you learning the Dvorak layout?I am left-handed. Qwerty uses the left hand more anyway.

Del Murder
09-09-2009, 12:48 AM
You don't need a special keyboard to use the Dvorak layout. It's a simple setting on almost every operating system in existence. That guy was either an idiot, or just being a douchebag with his request for a special keyboard.
Oh wow, I didn't even think of that. It's only the labels on the keys that are different. Well, he didn't last long here so there you go. :monster:

Psychotic
09-09-2009, 12:55 AM
I hoped this would be about Antonin Dvorak :(As did I.

I don't need Dvorak because I am already ridiculously fast with Qwerty anyway.

scrumpleberry
09-09-2009, 01:07 AM
I never really thought about it before. I'm happy with qwerty, I'm not in a position where I have to TYPE SUPER FAST YEAHHHHH and I still need to glance down quite often so it's probably not a good idea for me.

If I get to the point where I can use qwerty without making mistakes or having to look down at all, I guess I'll give it a go.

Levian
09-09-2009, 01:09 AM
What’s the point?

Because I'm used to, and like, the QWERTY style.

These two and:

I don't need to type faster than this.

Every computer in the world besides yours is already set on qwerty

rubah
09-09-2009, 01:43 AM
every computer in the world is trivial to change the layout for :)

Momiji
09-09-2009, 02:30 AM
I'm already fast enough with a QWERTY keyboard that I really don't feel like learning a new layout.

However, it would be kind of cool to mess with people if they ever have to use my computer.

Necronopticous
09-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Typing speed is not the only perk of the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard.

Momiji
09-09-2009, 02:44 AM
Well, what else is there?

rubah
09-09-2009, 02:51 AM
Lower incidence of RSI because your fingers don't have to move as much.

seriously though, if you code html, you'll probably want colemak xD

Incidentally:
http://www.snowy-day.net/stuff/others/colemak.png

Rodarian
09-09-2009, 08:46 AM
I just use the keyboard that I'm typing on...Wooo mE

Levian
09-09-2009, 12:06 PM

I'm aware, but let's say I use a computer at school or a library. LET'S SAY I use 30 seconds to switch to Dvorak, and another 30 seconds to switch back to qwerty (in order to not piss off the next user) when I'm done. I type around 50 words per minute, that's 50 words lost rubah! 50 words I could've typed with the qwerty style. Now imagine a semi trailer outside the school, filled with sludge from sixty thousand snails. This truck will malfunction and roll over at exactly 13:16, which is 9 minutes from now. Imagine 8 minutes is the time I spend logging on a computer, typing a mail using qwerty and getting out. IMAGINE what will have happened if I had used Dvorak instead.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Værn
09-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Here. Try this keyboard map.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/Vaern/pwnebi2.png

It's specifically designed for gaming. A large number of games, most notable first-person shooters, require that you keep one hand on your mouse and use the other for WASD controls. Using this keyboard map, you will never again have to take your hand off of your mouse to chat.

Slothy
09-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Lower incidence of RSI because your fingers don't have to move as much.

True, but regardless of how much most of us use computers, I doubt most of us really type enough to have to worry tremendously about the stress injuries from the small amount of extra movement required.

Also, I'm used to QWERTY so damned if I'm going to motivate my lazy ass to change.

Captain Maxx Power
09-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Why aren't you learning the Dvorak layout?

http://www.bartonchristmas.com/images06/garth.jpg

We fear change...

rubah
09-09-2009, 02:55 PM

I'm aware, but let's say I use a computer at school or a library. LET'S SAY I use 30 seconds to switch to Dvorak, and another 30 seconds to switch back to qwerty (in order to not piss off the next user) when I'm done. I type around 50 words per minute, that's 50 words lost rubah! 50 words I could've typed with the qwerty style. Now imagine a semi trailer outside the school, filled with sludge from sixty thousand snails. This truck will malfunction and roll over at exactly 13:16, which is 9 minutes from now. Imagine 8 minutes is the time I spend logging on a computer, typing a mail using qwerty and getting out. IMAGINE what will have happened if I had used Dvorak instead.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

our computers let you have personal settings ;) when you log into your name, you change it once, then every time you use that computer, it'll be like that, and no other user the wiser.

anyways, besides all that other stuff, it's fun to learn things for learning's sake. It's kinda like learning esperanto; maybe not too useful and not a lot of people will appreciate it, but it's kinda fun and it makes sense in logical ways

Learn - Colemak (http://colemak.com/Learn)

Necronopticous
09-09-2009, 04:27 PM
anyways, besides all that other stuff, it's fun to learn things for learning's sake.
Yes. Also, I'd like to point out that learning a new keyboard layout doesn't interfere with your previously learned QWERTY skills. If you have to use QWERTY after learning Dvorak, then use it! Have more faith in your brain.

It's specifically designed for gaming. A large number of games, most notable first-person shooters, require that you keep one hand on your mouse and use the other for WASD controls. Using this keyboard map, you will never again have to take your hand off of your mouse to chat.
You're right! 'Pwn' and 'LOL' are right at my fingertips, even with my right hand on the mouse! Why have I been wasting my time with the Dvorak layout?

aquatius
09-09-2009, 05:15 PM
I used to learn touch typing and then stopped. I've now forcefully retaught myself and you know what, I think I'll start learning Dvorak right now.

Kirobaito
09-09-2009, 05:44 PM
anyways, besides all that other stuff, it's fun to learn things for learning's sake.
Yes. Also, I'd like to point out that learning a new keyboard layout doesn't interfere with your previously learned QWERTY skills. If you have to use QWERTY after learning Dvorak, then use it! Have more faith in your brain.

You're right! 'Pwn' and 'LOL' are right at my fingertips, even with my right hand on the mouse! Why have I been wasting my time with the Dvorak layout?
Don't forget 'newb.'

Jess
09-09-2009, 05:53 PM
I like the qwerty keyboard. I'm used to it, and I touchtype really fast using it anyway, so I see no reason to change. :jess:

rubah
09-09-2009, 07:43 PM

Don't forget 'newb.'
asl

Madame Adequate
09-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Desu, not so much :(

Del Murder
09-09-2009, 08:02 PM
stfu would be pretty difficult though.

aquatius
09-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I used to learn touch typing and then stopped. I've now forcefully retaught myself and you know what, I think I'll start learning Dvorak right now.
Ach I give up already =/

nik0tine
09-09-2009, 10:19 PM
I was super excited about this thread but then I realized I had been mislead. :(

Quindiana Jones
09-09-2009, 11:22 PM

Not if you're Rachmaninoff.

Værn
09-10-2009, 01:36 AM
There's only so much space that I can use that's been officially declared the left-hand typing zone thingamajig D:
I thought that "stfu" and "jk" were more likely to be used in chat rooms than while gaming, so I strategically placed a few keys where they would hopefully at least minimize the movement required with your right hand.
Seriously, if you would just RTFM you would find that tidbit right in the first chapter. *Sigh*

Heath
09-11-2009, 10:51 AM
I hoped this would be about Antonin Dvorak :(As did I.

And me.

To be honest, I type fast enough with QWERTY anyway and feel no need to change my method of typing as a result. If I were struggling to type, then I'd consider it but as I'm always typing at around 80-90 WPM anyway, QWERTY suits me just fine. If it ain't broke, etc, etc.

The Space Pope
09-14-2009, 07:21 AM
I don't know how to type

Blue Harvest
09-14-2009, 11:56 AM
I fail to see any benefits from switching to a different layout when I'm perfectly comfortable with QWERTY and can type reletively fast with little to no typos.