PDA

View Full Version : Getting patches to actually work

Karl_Bonner_1982
09-09-2009, 07:17 AM
I have SNES9x and ZSNES (not sure which version) and I acquired several ROM patches for FF6, including "Darkstar," "Hardtype," and "Omnispoof." Unfortunately none of the ROMs seem to work after the patch is applied. Is there something simple I am missing here?

I'd also like to know if it's possible to apply multiple patches to a single ROM so I can enjoy all the modifications without having to play through separate games.

blackmage_nuke
09-09-2009, 11:45 AM
If youve followed the instructions to the letter i dont see why it shouldnt work, did the roms work before the patching?

Karl_Bonner_1982
09-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Worked fine before patch. What "special instructions" must I follow, and where can I find the instructions?

blackmage_nuke
09-09-2009, 01:30 PM
The instructions should usually come with the patch, sometimes its a readme file or inside the application

NeoCracker
09-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Also, theres next to no chance of a patch working with another patch. They typically change similar parts to the ROM in order to patch it, so the programming differences are incompatable, if that makes much sense. Best way I can describe it really.

Karl_Bonner_1982
09-10-2009, 03:41 AM
Instructions were simple. I used the correct version of the ROM as well, and for whatever reason the patching process makes the checksum go bad and the ROM becomes corrupted.

There are three possibilities I can think of:

The ROM is bad or somehow incompatible with the patch. It would have to be something that allows the initial ROM to function normally and only screws up when patched.

The patch is bad (or incompatible).

The patching program is not working properly or isn't meant to work with this specific kind of patching.

I was using Lunar IPS. I wonder what the next step would be? I already tried a couple different ROM files and neither patches correctly, and none of the patches I tried worked (Lunar IPS said they were successful but then my emulator wouldn't run the patched ROM). I'm thinking this might have something to do with the patching program...?

Jowy
09-10-2009, 04:00 AM
With ZSNES I used to just make sure the .ips file and .smc file had the exact same names. It would auto-patch upon loading the roms.