PDA

View Full Version : Sega Dreamcast 10th anniversary

Dreddz
09-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Today marks the 10th anniversary of one of the greatest systems of all time. So lets all spare a minute and reminisce over the Dreamcast and the glory days of gaming. I'm planning to get some Shenmue and Jet Set Radio going before the days end. Not just because they are awesome games, but out of respect. I suggest you all do the same.

Seems like Sega are celebrating somewhat as well by announcing a new 2D Sonic game (http://kotaku.com/5355153/sonic-returns-in-new-2d-hd-game?skyline=true&s=i) in glorious HD. We can talk about that here unless someone wants to make another thread. I think it has the potential to be awesome, but Ill wait till I see some footage before passing judgement.

Madame Adequate
09-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Definitely going to set her up and play some JSR today :aimkiss:

The Dreamcast was the most criminally underrated system ever. It was SEGA's own fool fault after the debacles of the 32x and Saturn releases, but the DC really was pretty outstanding and had some truly quality games. At least they went out in style!

We'll discount their post-hardware efforts. :colbert:

krissy
09-09-2009, 09:44 PM
happy birthday dreamcast ^.^V

Rocket Edge
09-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Can't say I ever played it, but from what I gather the console was well ahead of it's time. :happybday:

JackNapier
09-09-2009, 09:53 PM
I recently bought a Dreamcast this year and I love it. It's kind of a shame that I never picked one up during it's tenure, very underrated indeed.

Regarding the Sonic game, maybe since it's 2D it will actually be decent, but I'm still skeptical. If BioWare couldn't save the series, is there really any hope at all?

Caraliz
09-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I remember playing tons of Shenmue. Ah, the good old days.

krissy
09-09-2009, 10:24 PM
let's list off the best dreamcast games

JET SET RADIOOO

Shenmue

Virtua Tennis

Ikaruga

Skies of Arcadia

Project Justice

Pysvariar 2

Caraliz
09-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Oh my GOD I used to play virtua tennis all the fucking time! That game is priceless.

Madame Adequate
09-10-2009, 01:29 AM

JET SET RADIOOO

Shenmue

Virtua Tennis

Ikaruga

Skies of Arcadia

Project Justice

Pysvariar 2

:cool:

Rase
09-10-2009, 08:19 AM
I've only played one at family/friends houses way back when it first came out. Someday I'll purchase one, probably not until I'm outta college though. Gotta respect it for being ridiculously great ten years ago.

Breine
09-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I've never actually played it, but I'd like to.

Here's a link of ScrewAttack's Top 10 Dreamcast games (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/top-10-screwattack/55604), just for the sake of nostalgia I guess.

Slothy
09-10-2009, 11:30 AM

JET SET RADIOOO

Shenmue

Virtua Tennis

Ikaruga

Skies of Arcadia

Project Justice

Pysvariar 2

Why exactly are Soul Calibur and the Power Stone games not on that list?

G13
09-10-2009, 01:07 PM

Or Sonic Adventure?

Don't judge me.

LunarWeaver
09-10-2009, 01:58 PM
I still have my Dreamcast :kaoclove: I bought it very soon after it came out pretty much just to play Resident Evil: Code Veronica. But there are other good ones in there too. I miss playing Phantasy Star Whatever with my brother.

Bolivar
09-10-2009, 07:33 PM
My favorite memory of my dreamcast was emulation on it. I played through every level of Super Mario Bros. 3 on it and it was amazing. Console emulation is always best on other consoles or a TV with a controller. That's how the games were meant to be played.

Sorry I don't have anything to say about the actual games on the system...

krissy
09-10-2009, 08:24 PM

JET SET RADIOOO

Shenmue

Virtua Tennis

Ikaruga

Skies of Arcadia

Project Justice

Pysvariar 2

let us list off the best dreamcast games

HELP ME
YOU
ALL OF YOU

Dreddz
09-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Phantasy Star Online
Street Fighter 3rd Strike
Sonic Adventure
Hydro Thunder
Seaman
House of the Dead 2
Typing of the Dead (!)
Rez

I think most of the big ones have been covered. I could go on forever if I really wanted to.

VexNet
09-10-2009, 10:02 PM
I tried to set my Dreamcast up yesterday coincidently.. unfortunately I'm missing video cables to connect to my tv D=
If I can't find them, I may actually buy another Dreamcast.

I want to replay some old favorites.

Jet Set Radio
Sonic Adventure 2
Shenmue 1 & 2
Sega Rally
Virtua Tennis

Glory days those were.
my friend traded me a copy of Phantasy Star Online, but it only works on the one dreamcast you set it up with, Cheated I was >o

Old Manus
09-10-2009, 10:03 PM
HELP ME
YOU
ALL OF YOUOh I thought the joke was that those were the only decent games

Madame Adequate
09-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Y'all got no love for Toy Commander?

krissy
09-11-2009, 01:00 AM
i like the music
and i like the setting
but why can't i crash my plane into my cereal bowl in a fiery tempest
without it gently stopping off as if i was playing bumper cars

Heath
09-30-2009, 12:47 PM
One of my biggest computer gaming regrets is that I never played Shenmue II. I know it wasn't supposed to be as good as the original, but even still it would've been nice to play it given how much I loved the original. I also know it was released for the Xbox, but I'm not even going to consider playing it on a console that isn't a Dreamcast!

It was a great console and it, along with the Mega Drive, makes me nostalgic for the days when Sega still made hardware. I was brought up on Sega consoles and games and Nintendo most definitely played second fiddle when I was growing up.