PDA

View Full Version : Project Needlemouse

sdm42393
09-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Mentioned in Dreddz's Dreamcast Anniversary thread and I thought it deserved its own topic.

YouTube - NEW SONIC GAME - Project Needlemouse (2010) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxwdVwtbnHM)

So, what are your thoughts, expectations (etc.)?

Bolivar
09-09-2009, 08:56 PM
From the looks of it, it seems to be a new character. Other than that, I'm personally psyched and I think every Sega fan should be too. Of course we need more information than the concept.

On second thought, I'm not quite sure that we do. 2D HD Sonic 2010!!!

Dreddz
09-09-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm excited but I don't want to get my hopes too high. I've played almost every 2D Sonic game to date and I'm not sure if the same old Sonic is going to cut it anymore. You get the feeling that they may just be reliving past glories and aren't really trying to do anything interesting with the franchise. 2D Sonic has been established at this point, there is nothing much you can do with it anymore. Sure, you can have the game running in 720p and going at 60fps, but it'll still just be you holding right and pressing jump every once and awhile.

Evastio
09-09-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm kind of wondering what they'll do regarding the characters.

Obviously the classic characters like Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman are shoo-ins. As for the newer ones like Shadow, Silver, and Jet, it'll be hard deciding whether or not the old-school Sonic fans will prefer them being in or not. Especially in Shadow's case since there's a lot of mixed opinions about him.

sdm42393
09-10-2009, 02:54 AM
I'm hoping that all characters other than Sonic will be optional. I don't want to be forced to play as the whole Sonic cast (most of which I despise).

Madame Adequate
09-10-2009, 10:39 PM
If anyone's not in the know, Mr. Needlemouse was the internal name Sonic had before he was called Sonic, way back in the day. The only playable characters I want are Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.

I'm encouraged by the trailer and the 2D HD bit but after years of Sonic games which have varied between "average" and "atrocious" I'm not getting my hopes up. The way the day parts of Unleashed were pretty widely praised whilst the night parts derided will, if they've got any sense, finally teach them what we want.

I'm filing this under "Has a chance, but don't get excited". If the reviews come out and there's no werehog or equivalent bollocks I will be all over it.

Bolivar
09-11-2009, 09:51 PM
If anyone's not in the know, Mr. Needlemouse was the internal name Sonic had before he was called Sonic, way back in the day. The only playable characters I want are Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.

1. I didn't know that, interesting.
2. Yes, it should be just those 3 but it looks like a new character from the appearance of the silhouette of the classic-style logo.

Madame Adequate
09-11-2009, 10:03 PM
It looks like the original Sonic the Hedgehog logo to me, just redrawn. This article (http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/f/whats-the-story-with-sonic-the-hedgehog-2010/a-20090909122325271069) demonstrates as much.

scrumpleberry
09-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm not a sonic fan but hasn't he been a bit dead for years and years? I doubt this will manage to be a big comeback because I think they've tried that a lot. I'm not meaning to be a h8r or whatever, it's just what I've gathered. It could just be one really fun gimmick, and that's fine and it could still be a decent game.

Markus. D
09-12-2009, 12:16 AM
... The only thing holding Sonic Unleashed back was the night phase.

The should keep to the 3D sonics, but make them focus around those beautiful running levels, none of this guns and werehoggyswordweapongoplaywithanothercharacterwholikestofishorperhapsa*rambles*

Shiny
09-12-2009, 02:36 AM
I hope this will be a million times better than that werehog crap. As an old school Sonic fan like many people in here, I'm a bit skeptical about having more new characters than classic ones like Knuckles.

Bolivar
09-12-2009, 02:40 AM
I'm not a sonic fan but hasn't he been a bit dead for years and years? I doubt this will manage to be a big comeback because I think they've tried that a lot. I'm not meaning to be a h8r or whatever, it's just what I've gathered. It could just be one really fun gimmick, and that's fine and it could still be a decent game.

That's the thing - they've tried many "comebacks" but they've all been a part of a different game design that they've tried each time, and the formula just isn't as great as the one which established the series.

Looking at Sonic Unleashed (which the day levels do indeed seem phenomenal) they've really only focused in on the speed aspect of Sonic as if that's all the series was ever about, and have completely forgotten the rest of what you did in the games, or just heard about them and assume they just have to make a game w/ a really fast hedgehog.

Having re-beat Sonic 2 and re-played 3 and Sonic & Knuckles very recently on the Ultimate Genesis Collection, I can say personally that there was also a vertical element which was very important to the game. Indeed, the trampolines were one of the trademarks of the series. The bonus levels also always represented a form of skill and timing. When you look at the first four, you realize that there's only maybe 3-4 times within a level where you charge up and speed across a long section, going through the loops and etc. This is what they need to realize/remember when they make a good game.

As a real Sonic and Sega fan, there's a series of 4's that we've all been wanting. Streets of Rage IV, Shining Force IV, and hopefully this will be the Sonic 4 (although probably not that name) that we've all been waiting for.

DK
09-12-2009, 03:19 AM
If this is just a straight throwback to the Sonic 2 days then I will be in heaven. If they try to make it 2D but all failhaggish like the newer games I'll give up all faith in Sega. The DS sonic games were pretty good but nothing yet has managed to come close to those megadrive/genesis games. (Well actually I loved the first Sonic Adventure on the dreamcast but that's about it.)