PDA

View Full Version : Grades

Laddy
09-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I received my school progress report for my first term and earned all A's!

What was/is your academic level of acheivement?

Madame Adequate
09-11-2009, 09:13 PM
First Class Honours in International Relations and Politics. B.A. Baracus Honours.

:cool:

Aerith's Knight
09-11-2009, 09:21 PM
It is a well known fact that every nation in this world has a different education system and that level of education differs everywhere. Sorry to say, but because of the no-child-left-behind stuff, the amount of people in the US getting straight A's is so disconcerningly high that universities can't even admit people on grades alone. A sad fact, and, I'm afraid, makes this thread totally pointless.

[/rant]

Anywho, I usually get 80% or up. I'm actually going to graduate Cum Laude. S'pretty cool, I guess. I don't want to give a speech though. :(

Madame Adequate
09-11-2009, 09:35 PM
It is a well known fact that every nation in this world has a different education system and that level of education differs everywhere. Sorry to say, but because of the no-child-left-behind stuff, the amount of people in the US getting straight A's is so disconcerningly high that universities can't even admit people on grades alone. A sad fact, and, I'm afraid, makes this thread totally pointless.

[/rant]

Anywho, I usually get 80% or up. I'm actually going to graduate Cum Laude. S'pretty cool, I guess. I don't want to give a speech though. :(

I agree with essentially anything that lets me be even more elitist about my academic aptitude than I already am. In short, everyone who doesn't have my grades is an inferior wretch and I don't understand how they can live with themselves.

Flying Mullet
09-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Still carrying a 4.0 half way through my Master's degree.

Tavrobel
09-11-2009, 09:40 PM
I agree with essentially anything that lets me be even more elitist about my academic aptitude than I already am. In short, everyone who doesn't have my grades is an inferior wretch and I don't understand how they can live with themselves.

Well, we can't all be smarter than everyone else.

I'm afraid that I'm at the top of the tiers, gentlemen. All of your continued existences simply confuse me.

Medi
09-11-2009, 10:13 PM
My senior year (in high school) has only just begun, but I received a 4.0 at the end of my last school year.

[/rant]

For real? You have to work like hell to get a 4.0 at my school... unless you take all phys ed and art classes, but most universities I've checked prefer those with rigorous courses anyway.

demondude
09-11-2009, 10:18 PM

[/rant]

I'm not even American and I disagree.

Aerith's Knight
09-11-2009, 11:19 PM
For real? You have to work like hell to get a 4.0 at my school... unless you take all phys ed and art classes, but most universities I've checked prefer those with rigorous courses anyway.

I'm not even American and I disagree.

In the netherlands it isn't even possible to have a perfect score on every test. Because that is what a 4.0 average says. That you literally got a perfect score on every test you've ever gotten. That means either you are a genius or the test is too easy. I think that if someone actually got 100% on every test of the mandatory 16 courses in high school only on the highest level of education.. probably be national news.

But how do I know for sure? Well, the biggest example I can think of is this: In my country, people are split up from middle school into certain classes. I don't mean classes where there are chairs and such, but classes of people. These classes are divided up by intelligence. After high school you can go three different ways: medium professional education, higher professional education and University level.

Here comes the difference. A Higher professional education graduate, which is a level below University level, can join a masters program in a university in the US, I know this for a fact. However, if the same person wanted to do a University level masters program here, he has to do a 1 or 2 year transition where he receives a large number of courses you need to be able to do and if you fail one you get kicked out.

Those 1 or 2 years show the difference between actual level of education(70% that start it fails) and also shows you guys, if you actually have been getting 4.0 averages, are working way way waaaay below your level.

Rye
09-11-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm not outwardly geeky. Most people don't even understand why they call myself a geek, until they see that I'm a huge closet geek when it comes to academic achievement. I hide my neat binder and my highlighters. Last semester, I worked for hours most days on my school work. I kind of enjoyed it too. When I work in groups, I enjoy doing the majority of the work... :aimblush:

3.9 GPA for my first two years of college, being that my upcoming study abroad year won't count into my GPA whatsoever (this is my party year before I have to work hard again and do student teacher, w00t w00t). I'm loving it.

Now when I get back from England, I get to transfer to a school in New York, and I pretty much get the pick of the lot, except for probably the SUPER ELITE colleges, like Columbia and Vassar, which are just too expensive anyway. I'm really proud of my hard work! :)

EDIT: Also, I have to disagree with that, AK, when it comes to university. Now, if you were talking about High Schools, I'd agree. In the US, the level of difficulty between schools of different regions vary greatly being that states themselves are able to set the bar (lol no child left behind), which is why you'll get really some really dumb kids from some states that have these insane 4.0 grades somehow, when in another state that holds the bar really high and do much more testing and have higher standards for passing, like Connecticut, Vermont or NY, that person would have a lower grade. That, unfortunately, is why the horrible SATs were put into fruitation.

But colleges are much more structured. In actuality, a lot of the schools in the US scale down grades, such as Boston University, so that if most students get a low A, the grade is really a B, and only perfect grades get A's, etc, etc.

Sources: All the professors from the teacher education classes I've taken, textbooks from said classes, and reading the news.

Old Manus
09-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Grade inflation is mostly due to an increase in incredibly simple non-subjects like Critical Thinking, imo. That, and the ability to resit exams as much as you want, and redrafting coursework.

I heard they split up Science GCSEs into two exams over the two years (similar to AS/A Levels) or something recently. I had a look at a 'first year' GCSE Biology past paper and it was just...pathetically easy. It wasn't so much science as using common logic to read charts and tables.

Madame Adequate
09-12-2009, 12:23 AM
The problem isn't making things easier, it's testing itself. When such a rigid system is applied it's not a struggle for teachers to get pretty darned good at teaching their students how to take tests. It's not about thinking for yourself or anything like that, just about learning the right material.

But then that's the case with all schooling until you hit university. It's not a matter of intelligence, it's a matter of bothering to learn the material and, whilst some of us may have an easier time with that than others, ultimately an average intelligence person who works hard is going to outstrip any lazy smart person but a bona fide, no hyperbole, Ph.D-at-age-20 genius.

VexNet
09-12-2009, 12:44 AM
I failed my GCSEs in secondary school and took course afterwards in retail, then I went on to college to do a multimedia course, dropped out of that course and transferred over to an Art & Design course. after two years of that I'm now at Uni doing a Sequential lllustration course in my second year, while in my first year at the same time I retook my GCSEs I failed to get my grades back up.

So in short, in a College doing a University course called Sequential Illustration.
(basically like comic books, graphic novels and story telling).

Meat Puppet
09-12-2009, 12:47 AM
I’m so fucking stupid I can’t even begin to explain.

Shiny
09-12-2009, 02:17 AM
I found it much more rewarding to get A's in AP and college courses than any other course.

Laddy
09-12-2009, 03:55 AM

[/rant]

I beg to differ. It's probably just my school, and I know America's education, while not terrible, is uncomfortably crappy compared to many other countries with similair economic and political conditions, yet the amount of people with straight A's at my grade (sophmore) is less than 30, and that's out of almost 1000 kids. And my school is one of the Top 100 in the nation.

Granted, I'm younger than just about everyone here and less learned about such topics, but I am a high school student in the United States, so I supposed I could possibly be the best source of information. Who knows?

I'm not sure about the actual numbers, but my state, Tennessee, has an organization called the Hope Foundation(?) through the Tennessee Lottery that builds college scholarships for students with a B average.

So I got the ACT coming up next year and if I make less than a 32, I plan to retake it. I'm predicted to make it in the 30-34 range, (out of 36) so I want to perform as capitally on it as possible because I really, really, really want a scholarship to Berkley.

Yar
09-12-2009, 04:47 AM
Your first term is already over?

Anyway I think I had a 3.6 GPA but I'm not sure. It was good enough for my scholarship though.

Rodarian
09-12-2009, 06:00 AM
3.63 last semester.... And on that report letter, the letter head said Murtaza Ali Bukhari, daughter of Shahid Ali Bukhari..... 0_o

I'm actually the only guy in my batch studying Textile Design. So go figure that someone in administration failed there :bou::bou::bou::bou: job in not noticing a guy was enrolled in the program too :mad2:

Laddy
09-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Your first term is already over?

Anyway I think I had a 3.6 GPA but I'm not sure. It was good enough for my scholarship though.
I have 6 terms. =D

Captain Maxx Power
09-12-2009, 04:48 PM
1st in Computer Games Design and Programming.

rubah
09-12-2009, 05:16 PM
I think I'm at about a 3.6 right now, which I am terribly pleased with 8)

Jojee
09-13-2009, 08:01 AM
I have a 3.61 and am still in the top 20% of my class, but I'm not terribly thrilled with it. Would be a lot higher but there were some personal issues that negatively affected my grades last semester. :p Oh wells.

rubah
09-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Oh, right. Wanted to address this:

Because that is what a 4.0 average says. That you literally got a perfect score on every test you've ever gotten

nah, it means you got 90% or higher on average. Or you took AP classes and got straight Bs

Kirobaito
09-13-2009, 06:16 PM
In high school I had a 4.0 and graduated valedictorian. I was a National Merit Scholar and it was great fun getting a full scholarship.

In college, now through 6 semesters, I have a 3.97 GPA. I've made two B+s, one in an introductory business course that I no longer need to graduate, and one last fall.

College isn't that much harder than high school.

rubah
09-13-2009, 06:20 PM
easy for you to say :p

Necronopticous
09-13-2009, 06:41 PM
I graduated with my B.S. in Computer Science with a 3.227 GPA.

The Space Pope
09-14-2009, 06:18 AM
I flunked the sandbox in preschool

I Took the Red Pill
09-14-2009, 06:31 AM
I'm double majoring in math and physics; I think my GPA is currently a 3.73 or some :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Rye
09-14-2009, 06:36 AM
I'm double majoring in math and physics; I think my GPA is currently a 3.73 or some :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Only someone as much of a badman as Keith manages to pull off epic partying and frat life and double majoring while getting a 3.7. xD

Jenz
09-14-2009, 12:57 PM
I suck, I hadd two DD's in my ALevels for Double Award ICT. :roll2