PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy male characters: facial stubble

SuperMillionaire
09-14-2009, 07:20 PM
I happen to notice that all of the male FF characters are clean-shaven all the time. I never see any facial hair on them, except for perhaps Auron from FFX, who had a fully-grown beard. After you shave, after several hours, you're supposed to have stubble: regrown hair that is too short to be shaved again. How come all the guys are clean-shaven all the time and never have stubble?

scrumpleberry
09-14-2009, 07:35 PM
They've had laser treatments.

theundeadhero
09-14-2009, 07:51 PM
they're all about 14 and only have to shave once a week. Then the events in the game only happen over a few days.

TheSpoonyBard
09-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Cid Haze
Cid Pollendina
Cid Del Norte Marquez
Cid Highwind
Cid Fabool
Cid (X)
Cidolfus Demen Bunansa
Yang
Cyan
Strago
Banon
Barret
Heidegger
President Shinra
Reeve
Bugenhagen
Zangan
Amarant
Cinna
Garland
Baku
Artania
Kimahri
Auron
Basch
Vossler
Reddas
Snow
Sazh

There's just a few characters off the top of my head who have facial hair. Couldn't think of any from VIII though.

SuperMillionaire
09-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Are their beards fully grown or just stubble?

Fynn
09-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Not to mention that almost every guy in XII (except maybe Vaan - Baltheir counts as he has sideburns) has facial hair. Though every main character has top be clean-shaven... It would be interesting to have an unshaven hero every once in a while...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-15-2009, 10:43 PM
There's just a few characters off the top of my head who have facial hair. Couldn't think of any from VIII though.

Raijin (http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/1411/nomurafujinraijincolor.jpg) and Ward (http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/efuefu/nomuraward.jpg). Even Cid Kramer (http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/efuefu/nomuracidkramer.jpg) has a little.

Kyros
09-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Not to mention that almost every guy in XII (except maybe Vaan - Baltheir counts as he has sideburns) has facial hair. Though every main character has top be clean-shaven... It would be interesting to have an unshaven hero every once in a while...

Well wasnt Basch originally going to be the main character but they changed this before finalizing the game? In that case we would have had a main chara that wasnt clean shaven.

black orb
09-16-2009, 02:14 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/rodv/fusoya.jpg

>>> There you are, the ultimate FF beard..

Fynn
09-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Oh yeah - as far as facial stubble goes - Wakka! I can't believe no one noticed that yet... And since when did Auron have a full-grown beard? He always looked just a bit scruffy to me...

auronlu
09-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Very few of the characters in FFVIII were old enough to shave, so no surprise there.

Nonetheless, despite the fact that it's hard to get details of stubble, there are stubbly or bearded characters in every game.

Moreso than if you walk the streets of Japan, where the games were made! :)

One can easily assume that even in these worlds, the guys knew how to use a straight razor or knife to shave.

Auron's stubble is often hidden by his collar, but he's definitely got a bit of stubble-mustache and stubble-beard.

Fynn
09-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Well, yeah, I know, but I wouldn't consider that a fully-grown beard, which is what the OP called it.

FFIX Choco Boy
09-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Every Cid has facial stubble or a beard.

blackmage_nuke
09-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Theyre Asian.

Cyan had a nice moustache

Kyros
09-17-2009, 06:40 PM
*looks at blackmage_nuke's sig* dont forget about strago (wasnt that the old guys name?), and I wonder if shadow had a santa clause beard hiding under that mask :o

Slothy
09-17-2009, 07:23 PM
I think his face may be the only place Umaro doesn't have hair.

Breine
09-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Theyre Asian.

xD

Personally, I'm more intruiged by the fact that no one ever needs to go to the bathroom x)

scrumpleberry
09-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Would you play a game where your characters needed pee breaks every couple of hours?

Kyros
09-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Theyre Asian.

xD

Personally, I'm more intruiged by the fact that no one ever needs to go to the bathroom x)

Tell that to Watts (I think thats who it was) in FFVIII on the train before the Timber mission :P

Elly
09-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Watts wa having stomach cramps from bad nerves, or an ulcer (he may have been faking it)... but, there was this one guy in the bar at Wal Market in FFVII, he had to go really bad, so bad he was doing the dance...

Breine
09-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Would you play a game where your characters needed pee breaks every couple of hours?

..uhm..yar!

Wolf Kanno
09-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Going to the bathroom in Persona 3 makes you stronger... :shifty:

Fynn
09-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Going to the bathroom in Persona 3 makes you stronger... :shifty:

This has always seemed strange to me... Unless the term "tired" is a substitute for "needs to go"... Yeah, that would explain why they got tired so quickly in Tartarus :rolleyes2

JackNapier
09-21-2009, 02:59 AM
Tetsuya Nomura probably had some terrible incident involving facial hair in his childhood that did permanent psychological damage, and now he refuses to put facial hair on any of his male characters.

SuperMillionaire
09-21-2009, 04:20 AM

ROTFLOL; That is so hilarious!

Anyway, this is a picture of a man with facial stubble.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/93/Stewart_Butterfield_2.jpg/711px-Stewart_Butterfield_2.jpg

A man who shaved in the morning will likely have short regrowth later in the day, which is known as a 5:00 shadow. The term comes from the traditional 9-to-5 workday hours.

Perhaps, to draw facial stubble, I would guess that you would need to cover the areas around the bottom of the face and above the lip with short hair that is the same color as the hair on the head. Then perhaps draw short lines to represent the hairs... but what's your interpretation of drawing facial stubble?

Fynn
09-21-2009, 09:08 AM
The hair on my chin is either a lot darker or a lot lighter than that on my head. And it takes me a lot longer to grow it. So yeah, I guess I'm basically an oddball mutant something...

SuperMillionaire
09-23-2009, 09:14 PM
That's not very common; most men's facial hair is the same color as their cranial hair. What color hair do you have?

Fynn
09-23-2009, 10:02 PM
I have dark blonde hair. And that is probably the reason. It's like it can't decide whether it wants to be blonde or brown.

Shiny
09-23-2009, 10:24 PM
I happen to notice that all of the male FF characters are clean-shaven all the time. I never see any facial hair on them, except for perhaps Auron from FFX, who had a fully-grown beard.
You also never see them take a shower or pee except for that one instance where Vivi and Zidane *tinkle* *tinkle, but you don't even really see that either. Most games and cartoons exclude mundane tasks like showering, urinating, changing clothes, and shaving facial stubble. Mostly because it's easier that way to just have characters look the same the entire duration of the game and also because who really wants to see a pixelated character shave in a game?

Wolf Kanno
09-24-2009, 03:57 AM
because who really wants to see a pixelated character shave in a game?

Someone begs to differ... (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/RamenJunkie/Game%20Review%20Screenshots/mgs2_01.jpg) ;)

SuperMillionaire
09-24-2009, 02:13 PM
I happen to notice that all of the male FF characters are clean-shaven all the time. I never see any facial hair on them, except for perhaps Auron from FFX, who had a fully-grown beard.
You also never see them take a shower or pee except for that one instance where Vivi and Zidane *tinkle* *tinkle, but you don't even really see that either. Most games and cartoons exclude mundane tasks like showering, urinating, changing clothes, and shaving facial stubble. Mostly because it's easier that way to just have characters look the same the entire duration of the game and also because who really wants to see a pixelated character shave in a game?

I know! I've brought up some of those topics too earlier! It's quite interesting in a rather peculiar way...