PDA

View Full Version : 3D Dot Game Heroes

Dreddz
09-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/japanese-debut-3-d-dot-game/55868)

I was going to make a thread on this game when it was announced but it slipped my mind. But now that a trailer for the game has been released, Ill make one.

I try not to get suckered into buying games for their visuals but I reckon Ill be buying this game regardless of its quality in the gameplay department. Every time I look at this game I'm stunned. And now that I've seen it in action, buying this game is a no brainer. I'm not quite sure where they are going with the gameplay with this one though. I thought it was going to be classic turn based combat but it seems to be leaning towards an action RPG similer to Zelda. Ill like to see more gameplay before labeling it a Zelda clone though. Oh, and the music is completely awesome.

Strangely this game is being made by From Software who recently made Demon Souls. Quite the contrast in visuals between the two games. As of now this game is a PS3 exclusive. Depending on whos publishing the game it could go multiplat. We'll have to wait and see.

krissy
09-14-2009, 11:04 PM
they need to change the name for the american release
maybe pixel heroes
or cube heroes
cause i did not see one dot

also yeah looks like zelda with an interesting palette

JKTrix
09-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Dot=Pixel

FROM has made one of my favourite games (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/trailer-4-otogi-myth/2679), but they also have more than their fair share of flops. Maybe people will be able to play it at the Tokyo Games Show and we'll have a better idea how it feels.

Gilghamut
09-15-2009, 01:10 AM
I believe Silicon Studios is doing the developing, From Software is doing the publishing in Japan.

List of PlayStation 3 games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games) 5th game down on the list

Bolivar
09-15-2009, 02:34 AM
Yeah I simply could not believe this game was being made when the first batch of screenshots came out. Some people are concerned from the Zelda-esque features in the video (boomerang puzzle-solving, boulders falling down a mountain area), but even so I still feel it promises to be incredible. May have to be my 2nd imported game after Demon's Souls if it comes w/ an english track like that game did, or simply if it has no chance of being localized.

JKTrix
11-17-2009, 01:19 PM
OFFICIAL 3D DOT GAME HEROES WEBSITE (http://www.3ddotgameheroes.com/)

May 10th for $40 in the US. That price is right.

Go Atlus!

Yeargdribble
11-17-2009, 04:08 PM
I've been eying this for quite some time and was really concerned it wouldn't get a US publisher. Then it started looking like it would. Now, if the sources are correct this morning, it's Atlus and it's $40. I'm very happy about this. This is also one of those games that my wife has been drooling over. She literally saw about 5 seconds of video from the game and said, "WANT!"

Bolivar
11-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Wow I really can't believe $40... it's like... joy.

the music is really what's blowing me away.

And you guys gotta check out the loading screens. (http://kotaku.com/5385422/3d-dot-heroes-has-the-bestest-load-screens/gallery/) Old, but holy crap.

Dreddz
11-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Annnnnnnnnnd no news on the EU release date. I really dig what Atlus are doing at the moment but I seriously hate how treat the EU.

Vyk
11-18-2009, 01:16 AM
LEGO RPG LawL :]

Nifleheim7
11-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Annnnnnnnnnd no news on the EU release date. I really dig what Atlus are doing at the moment but I seriously hate how treat the EU.

Does Atlus have a European branch?Is it possible for their NA branch to publish the game here?

I can't wait for this game,so i'm definitely importing it when it comes out.Demon's Souls has become one of my favourite games of all time so i place lots of trust in From Software.
I really hope Sony invests more in this collaboration with FS.

JKTrix
11-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Atlus is a Japanese company. Atlus USA is a branch of the Japanese company focused on localizing the games for North America. Demon's Souls and this game are both from a different Japanese company. Atlus has nothing to do with games that are not developed by Atlus Japan (i.e. Shin Megami Tensei/Persona) going to Europe.

Nifleheim7
11-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Atlus is a Japanese company. Atlus USA is a branch of the Japanese company focused on localizing the games for North America. Demon's Souls and this game are both from a different Japanese company.

I knew that.:tongue:

Atlus has nothing to do with games that are not developed by Atlus Japan (i.e. Shin Megami Tensei/Persona) going to Europe.

This is what i asked but maybe i worded it poorly.
I was wondering if Atlus U.S. could publish a game that it's not their own IP (provided they have the ok from the owner company of course) in Europe.
For example Atlus U.S. got the rights to publish 3D Dot Game Heroes in the U.S.,so could they publish the game also in Europe without having European offices?

JKTrix
11-23-2009, 12:07 AM
A company called Ghostlight published Shin Megami Tensei 3 and both SMT Digital Devil Saga games in the UK. Persona 3 FES was published by Koei. Persona 4 was published by Square Enix.

All those are games developed by Atlus. That's not to say they couldn't do it for 3D Dot Game Heroes if they really, *really* wanted to (international licensing is messy), but if Atlus (US or otherwise) can't even publish their own games in the UK, there's little hope they'll have a hand here.

I'm not too familiar with the 'quirky imports' scene in Europe, so I don't know how many companies there are like Atlus or XSeed or Ignition over there. I know that From Software has worked with large international companies like Sega and Ubisoft before, so the potential is still there.

I wasn't really intending for this to sound like Europe won't get the game, I just wanted to point out that Atlus has nothin' to do with it.

In any case, PS3 games are region free. As long as your TV can handle it, you'll be able to find a way to play them.

KentaRawr!
11-23-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm just going to post in here for the sake of pointing out that Zelda isn't an Action RPG. It's an Action Adventure.

Oh, and that I'll be getting this. :3

Nifleheim7
11-24-2009, 02:52 AM
A company called Ghostlight published Shin Megami Tensei 3 and both SMT Digital Devil Saga games in the UK. Persona 3 FES was published by Koei. Persona 4 was published by Square Enix.

All those are games developed by Atlus. That's not to say they couldn't do it for 3D Dot Game Heroes if they really, *really* wanted to (international licensing is messy), but if Atlus (US or otherwise) can't even publish their own games in the UK, there's little hope they'll have a hand here.

That's a very good point.

I wasn't really intending for this to sound like Europe won't get the game, I just wanted to point out that Atlus has nothin' to do with it.

In any case, PS3 games are region free. As long as your TV can handle it, you'll be able to find a way to play them.

Yeah i know.Personally i don't have a problem with importing games (i'm currently playing my Asian copy of Demon's Souls which i bought before the NA release was announced) but i know many people who are really interested in those games but for some reason they are afraid to import.And i can't blame them especially since imports usually cost much more than domestic versions.:/
I think the PS3 needs games like these to be available in all regions.

Bolivar
11-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Personally i don't have a problem with importing games (i'm currently playing my Asian copy of Demon's Souls which i bought before the NA release was announced)

Me too! Although I probably wouldn't have done it if it wasn't completely in English.

but i know many people who are really interested in those games but for some reason they are afraid to import.And i can't blame them especially since imports usually cost much more than domestic versions.:/
I think the PS3 needs games like these to be available in all regions.

Which is why I really hope this happens:

Leaked Documents Discuss PSN Imports, Date PS3 Motion Control - PS3 - Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5364892/leaked-documents-discuss-psn-imports-date-ps3-motion-control)

I've been talking about it for a while now so I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon but it would be an incredible solution to the cost of localization, and the cost of importing.

Nifleheim7
01-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Europe gets 3D Dot Game Heroes (http://www.siliconera.com/2010/01/14/3d-dot-game-heroes-releasing-simultaneously-in-north-america-and-europe/)

And simultaneously with the NA release!:D

Depression Moon
01-14-2010, 08:15 PM
This game come sout in May right? i need anothe rone of those old classic Zelda like games. My gosh are those the best!

JKTrix
01-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Darksiders is apparently a pretty good Zelda game.

Dignified Pauper
01-15-2010, 01:10 PM
I think this game looks absolutely amazing.

NeoCracker
01-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Yeah, for all the people sayign it's going to be a lot like the old Zelda games, yes. It is. Atlus said so themselves. It's very specifically being built as a HOmage to Zelda (Mind you, it's very odd that a homage to a Nintendo title is PS3 only, but I digress). For the most part it's suppose to play like the old Zelda games, though they added in things like being able to custumize your blade more, by changing the length. That was one example listed in Game Informer anyway.

I image the pure Homage nature of the game to be the reason it's not coming out full price, or at least part of the reason. :P

shilpaworld
01-22-2010, 08:07 AM
It's a nice game to play and it's interesting. i really enjoyed it

JKTrix
04-07-2010, 12:56 AM
1up.com is doing a 'GameNight' livestream of this game tonight. Starts in like 3 minutes.

Game Night with 3D Dot Game Heroes Coming Soon (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178654)

Skyblade
04-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Ok, after watching the first bit, I know I'm going to get this. It looks like just pure, ridiculous, fun.

I can't believe they had that much trouble getting to the first boss though. I thought it was fairly obvious what they had to do.

Bastian
04-07-2010, 06:18 AM
I've been following this game since the first screenshots appeared for it and I've been DROLLING ever since. (Yet somehow missed this thread all together.)

This is the sort of gutsy move that Nintendo would be way too afraid to make. In a lot of ways this game is more Zelda than some of the other more recent Zelda games. Which is sad. And I love that you can build your own hero . . . so of course I'll be building the original Legend of Zelda Link. :P

The only problem: I don't have a PS3. I've only got a PS2. I guess I'm really going to have to trade it in and pay an absurd amount for the PS3 JUST for this game. Argh. I wish it was for the Wii. :(

Dignified Pauper
04-07-2010, 01:42 PM
The PS3 is not an absurd amount of money now, nor was it ever. It was precisely the right price each time the price was changed to reflect the demand. Each system, at one point, cost 900 to make. It was ridiculous the amount of money that Sony was bleeding. NOW they are finally becoming profitable with the PS3 again.

Skyblade
04-07-2010, 02:58 PM
I've been following this game since the first screenshots appeared for it and I've been DROLLING ever since. (Yet somehow missed this thread all together.)

This is the sort of gutsy move that Nintendo would be way too afraid to make. In a lot of ways this game is more Zelda than some of the other more recent Zelda games. Which is sad. And I love that you can build your own hero . . . so of course I'll be building the original Legend of Zelda Link. :P

The only problem: I don't have a PS3. I've only got a PS2. I guess I'm really going to have to trade it in and pay an absurd amount for the PS3 JUST for this game. Argh. I wish it was for the Wii. :(

Don't trade it in. One of the things they did to make the PS3 more affordable was drop backwards compatability with PS2 games.

Yeargdribble
04-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm looking forward to this so much, but I've got a chip on my shoulder still about consistency within the game criticism world.

"3D Dot Game Heroes absolutely blatantly rips off Zelda, a beloved franchise, but that's okay!!"

"Dante's Inferno absolutely blatantly rips off GoW, a beloved franchise. What s steaming pile of sh*t that game is."

Depression Moon
04-07-2010, 07:55 PM
2010 the Year of video games.

Bastian
04-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Don't trade it in. One of the things they did to make the PS3 more affordable was drop backwards compatability with PS2 games.
WTF?! I'm NOT buying a PS3 then. That's smurfing idiotic. I'll have to wait until the inevitable port to Wii. Or until the PS4 is out so I can buy a PS3 for $100 or something (like I did with my PS2, which I bought for Dawn of Mana, which, thankfully, came out after the PS3).

I'm looking forward to this so much, but I've got a chip on my shoulder still about consistency within the game criticism world.

"3D Dot Game Heroes absolutely blatantly rips off Zelda, a beloved franchise, but that's okay!!"

"Dante's Inferno absolutely blatantly rips off GoW, a beloved franchise. What s steaming pile of sh*t that game is."
I think the difference is that 3D Dot Game Heroes is ripping off very, very early Zelda (basically just TLoZ and TLoZ:ALttP) and specifically the aspects that Nintendo seems to have abandoned. I know little about Dante's Inferno or GoW but I suspect the case is different.

Skyblade
04-07-2010, 09:18 PM
If you can find one of the original $600 ones, it still has the PS2 capability. But the later models dropped that functionality along with $200 of the price.

Bolivar
04-08-2010, 03:17 AM
WTF?! I'm NOT buying a PS3 then. That's smurfing idiotic. I'll have to wait until the inevitable port to Wii. Or until the PS4 is out so I can buy a PS3 for $100 or something (like I did with my PS2, which I bought for Dawn of Mana, which, thankfully, came out after the PS3).

Why would this game inevitably come to the Wii?

I would also recommend getting a refurbished 60GB PS3 or a 80GB (4USB slot) PS3, they both have backwards compatibility and you might end up saving money.

I think the difference is that 3D Dot Game Heroes is ripping off very, very early Zelda (basically just TLoZ and TLoZ:ALttP) and specifically the aspects that Nintendo seems to have abandoned. I know little about Dante's Inferno or GoW but I suspect the case is different.

While some gameplay is obviously similar, 3D Dot Game Heroes is more a tribute to the NES days itself, as opposed to any one game. There's obvious elements of Dragon Quest in here as well, and probably other games that I just don't remember.

Yeargdribble
04-08-2010, 03:28 AM
ana[/I], which, thankfully, came out after the PS3).

I guess in the end I don't care who ripped off what of whom. If the game is good I don't care about its pedigree. Meanwhile let's pass out dozens of GOTY trophies to MW2 for all of its brilliant originality and innovation.

On the flip side, I don't want a reviewer saying any game of a beloved franchise is awesome just because we're not supposed to speak ill of that franchise.

Then you end up with the, "It's tremendously popular but perhaps long in the tooth, we should hate it and judge it far more harshly as a result," phenomena. This is very similar to the, "it has a huge following so we should make an anti-following," phenomena (see FFVII).

I'm not saying games need to be judged in a vacuum. Context matters, but feel like it played too large a roll int he ratings of both DI and GoW. DI wasn't super great, but it was solid and good. It was far better than the general it was given credit for by the growing machine of vitriol toward it.

Then there's GOWIII, which I'm still in the middle of, but it's good though not super mind-bendingly awesome. I think Yahtzee pointed out some good points about how silly it all is when all is said and done. It has flaws, many the same as DI. However, DI was cited for these flaws and told it sucked terribly because of them. GoW is said to be awesome in spite of them.

It's all because people got butt hurt about a little copypasta.

It's largely arbitrary in the end. DI is terrible because it's a rip off. 3D DGH, if the internet machine is behind, will be considered an homage.

Bolivar
04-08-2010, 03:53 PM
I feel you Yeargrdribble, I think we should definitely rate games about context, hell I feel they don't get rated on that enough, but all that is small potatoes compared to the feelings you get when that controller's in your hand and there's stuff going on in that screen with music coming out of your speakers. (btw GOD OF WAR III IS FLAWLESSS!!!!!!!211!~~~`!)

But 3D DGH has been planned as an homage since the start. That's why the loading screens have pictures of Mega Man, Chrono Trigger, and Street Fighter game covers/box art but in 3D dot style. It's going to be a wonderful game, I can't wait to play it!!!

Depression Moon
04-09-2010, 12:10 AM
^^ hold up now SF CT references too? Man this is going to be truly something

Skyblade
04-09-2010, 12:27 AM
The loading screens also reference Tetris, FFV, FFII, and who knows how many other nostalgiac classics.

As for the homage-vs-ripoff, I would like to point out that another thing. This game brought something new to the scene, a wacky and inventive art style. From what I have heard, Dante's Inferno has nothing unique to put together with everything it is copying (I repeat, this is hearsay, as I have never played either GoW or DI).

Croyles
04-09-2010, 01:33 AM
I so want to play this! :D

Some newish videos:

3D Dot Game Heroes Video Game, Mini-Game Walkthrough HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/mini-game-walkthrough-3d-dot-game/63984)
3D Dot Game Heroes Video Game, Preview HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-hd-3d-dot-game/63821)

Bastian
04-09-2010, 04:10 AM
It's driving me crazy that I don't have to have a PS3 and that I will have to own a PS3 AND a PS2 (unless I can find one that's backwards compatible but that sounds hard). :(

AAAARGH!

I nEEEEED to play this game.

NeoCracker
04-09-2010, 05:54 AM
The loading screens also reference Tetris, FFV, FFII, and who knows how many other nostalgiac classics.

As for the homage-vs-ripoff, I would like to point out that another thing. This game brought something new to the scene, a wacky and inventive art style. From what I have heard, Dante's Inferno has nothing unique to put together with everything it is copying (I repeat, this is hearsay, as I have never played either GoW or DI).

Don't forget about Natural Sword Enhancement. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKTThEUweoU)

Croyles
04-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Well at least its natural

Skyblade
04-10-2010, 03:13 AM
Something I found on YouTube that seems to fit the mood: Pixels! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vZJIO6AP2Q&feature=related)