PDA

View Full Version : Star Ocean 4 coming to PS3

Zeromus_X
09-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Star Ocean: The Last Hope coming to Playstation 3 (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-6894-SF-Console-Game-Examiner~y2009m9d14-Star-Ocean-4-coming-to-Playstation-3)

Star Ocean 4 will be coming to the PS3 with extra features:

-New Characters (playable Crowe? Or maybe they'll just throw in Welch again)
-Better interface, menus
-English/Japanese language options and multiple language subtitles

Installing the game would mean no more annoying disc-swapping at least; probably my only real complaint about the game other than the balance issues. Multiple languages and being region-free would make it a true "International" version as well.

Hopefully they'll fix the game balance and not make mages suck so badly, and maybe tone down/buff some character's skills, but this is tri-Ace we're talking about.

ljkkjlcm9
09-15-2009, 06:55 PM
well I hope it comes out in the US. I recently bought myself a PS3, and I've held off playing games like Tales of Vesperia on my roommates 360, because I want to wait for the PS3 version with more stuff. Incidently, my roommate plans to purchase this game for his 360 this week lol

THE JACKEL

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I hope that it does come out on the PS3, though if it doesn't I suppose between the English voice acting and my Japanese skills, I could figure things out, maybe with the help of a dictionary on occasion.

JKTrix
09-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Wait, mages suck in Star Ocean? That's weird, because mages are super broken in the Tales games. And I heard they were pretty similar.

Anyway, good for PS3 owners.

Markus. D
09-15-2009, 11:20 PM
That's great news! The more people that are able to become Tri-Ace infectees the more satisfied planet earth will be in general.

Dreddz
09-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Great news for PS3 owners. I was never that interested in Star Ocean 4 but I believe it should have been released on the PS3 ages ago whether or not it appeared on the 360 as well.

Wonder when people will realise that the 360 isn't exactly dominating the RPG genre anymore. At least when it comes to JRPG's.

NeoCracker
09-16-2009, 10:03 PM
It never dominated. Of course, neither did the other two consoles. RPGs were much bigger on Handhelds. :p

I mean look at how poorly recieve all the 360 RPG's have been. The most liked one, Lost Odyssy, dropped in price extremely fast, so not many people picked that one up, or lots were traded back in.

And a lot of people thought very poorly of Star Ocean 4.

Probably the only RPGs to do well are Disgaea 3, and Cross Edge, which seems to be doing well, even if they didn't make that many copies, and in their typical fashion already discontinued production.

Bolivar
09-17-2009, 02:03 AM
It never dominated. Of course, neither did the other two consoles. RPGs were much bigger on Handhelds. :p

I mean look at how poorly recieve all the 360 RPG's have been. The most liked one, Lost Odyssy, dropped in price extremely fast, so not many people picked that one up, or lots were traded back in.

Probably the only RPGs to do well are Disgaea 3, and Cross Edge, which seems to be doing well, even if they didn't make that many copies, and in their typical fashion already discontinued production.

Valkyria Chronicles was well received and it was popular enough to warrant a sequel (although on PSP). I think White Knight Chronicles did good as well, although I know some people had complaints about the communication system. Demon's Souls is a personal favorite of mine, but it depends on how you define "success".

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-17-2009, 02:48 AM
It's official, coming to North America Feb. 9th, 2010 (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/16/star-ocean-the-last-hope-international-lives-up-to-its-name/).

Iceglow
09-17-2009, 03:14 AM
The thing of note in this topic is not what platform is dominating in JRPGs these days because frankly thats the DS or the PSP it'd be a tough call it's merely why aren't JRPGs as popular as they were on the PS1/2 era. I think it's just the release of so many good console western rpgs nailing their eastern counterparts in many ways. Western RPGs tend to be real time based, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Oblivion for 3 examples of this, you can attack, run and everything in real time, JRPGs especially those manufactured by SE lately are trying to emulate this setup and the setup of MMORPGs such as WoW a lot and frankly it's not working well for them. Those who like JRPGs come to expect and love the turn based combat systems ect found in them they don't want to be running through with their party trying just keep awake as the AI does the work for them. If JRPGs went back to their roots and took up things like ATB, Turn based, Random Battles ect again perhaps we could see a revival of interest in them however until the time they stop trying to release games in the same vein as Mass Effect a game designed to play like a movie they'll constantly lag behind their western counterparts who often have people who have worked in the hollywood industry to help write, direct and coordinate their efforts. Ironic isn't it that in the handhelds where JRPGs have maintained their roots they do a lot better than on the main consoles where they've become westernized?

NeoCracker
09-17-2009, 07:14 AM

Valkyria Chronicles was well received and it was popular enough to warrant a sequel (although on PSP). I think White Knight Chronicles did good as well, although I know some people had complaints about the communication system. Demon's Souls is a personal favorite of mine, but it depends on how you define "success".

Valtyria Chronicles is well recieved by those who have played it, yes. But its another one that you can look at the rapid drop in price to see it didn't sell very well at all.

The others aren't even out here yet though, so one can't really gauge their popularity here. I don't imagine a game you have to drop in price so soon can really be called successful.

Bolivar
09-17-2009, 09:03 PM
The thing of note in this topic is not what platform is dominating in JRPGs these days because frankly thats the DS or the PSP it'd be a tough call it's merely why aren't JRPGs as popular as they were on the PS1/2 era. I think it's just the release of so many good console western rpgs nailing their eastern counterparts in many ways. Western RPGs tend to be real time based, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Oblivion for 3 examples of this, you can attack, run and everything in real time, JRPGs especially those manufactured by SE lately are trying to emulate this setup and the setup of MMORPGs such as WoW a lot and frankly it's not working well for them. Those who like JRPGs come to expect and love the turn based combat systems ect found in them they don't want to be running through with their party trying just keep awake as the AI does the work for them. If JRPGs went back to their roots and took up things like ATB, Turn based, Random Battles ect again perhaps we could see a revival of interest in them however until the time they stop trying to release games in the same vein as Mass Effect a game designed to play like a movie they'll constantly lag behind their western counterparts who often have people who have worked in the hollywood industry to help write, direct and coordinate their efforts. Ironic isn't it that in the handhelds where JRPGs have maintained their roots they do a lot better than on the main consoles where they've become westernized?

I think every generation, you get one or a few genres that dominate due to the popular way of utilizing technology. Right now it's the First-Person-Shooter, even successful "western" RPG's this gen like Mass Effect and Fallout 3 have been branded as part shooter. In the SNES/Sega days it was platformers and beat 'em ups.

And in the PSOne era it was the RPG. The disc based format just worked really well with storing the art files necessary to bring those kinds of games to life, not to mention the pre-rendered cutscene taking the place of limited animation cutscenes from the 16-bit era.

You also have to factor in that Japan hasn't really moved on to this generation yet. The FF guys have spent the last 4 years of their lives figuring out how to do it, while Square itself largely failed with their one attempt (Last Remnant). Tri-Ace has released bombs nearly every time, and Hironobu Sakaguchi signed an arbitrary agreement to try to become relevant again which has also produced mostly mediocre titles.

None of this has managed to get the gaming population at large excited about the genre again.

I think once one studio does a really slam-dunk job we'll see, but until then it'll take Final fantasy XIII to make a bajillion dollars and fool short-sighted businessmen to getting on the money train for us to see a bigger push on current-gen consoles.

Mirage
09-17-2009, 09:09 PM
These news are very good. I'm looking forwards to getting the real version of SO4.

black orb
09-21-2009, 07:57 PM
>>> Star Ocean is getting old, tri-ace should focus more on Valkyrie Profile..

Zeromus_X
09-21-2009, 09:49 PM

I hope they make a Valkyrie Profile: Hrist soon.

Markus. D
09-21-2009, 10:40 PM

I hope they make a Valkyrie Profile: Hrist soon.

Your words are pure and full of zeal, Mr. Zem'

Croyles
09-21-2009, 11:11 PM
I would be glad that it's coming to the PS3 if I hadn't heard from my mates that its pretty bad.
Just what I heard though.

Madame Adequate
09-22-2009, 12:06 AM
I would be glad that it's coming to the PS3 if I hadn't heard from my mates that its pretty bad.

Not the best in the series at all but still fairly good tbf

Croyles
09-22-2009, 12:20 AM

Not the best in the series at all but still fairly good tbf

I played one of them but cant remember which one. I just remember it being quite good.