PDA

View Full Version : Different methods of talking, or additional words.

MJN SEIFER
09-16-2009, 11:42 PM
I notice that a few Final Fantasys have at least one character who either speaks differently, or has a particular phrase that shows up in his or her sentance. For instance, in FFVI Cyan spoke in a ye olde type dialect and called everyone "Thou" in FFVIII there was Ultimecia with her strong accent (shown by replacing all hard "Cs" with a "K") Fujin would only shout one or two words at a time (this is not an inpediment, as she speaks normal in one scene) Rajin often added "Ya Know? after each sentance, and Wakka in FFX did a similar thing with "Ya!" Also I hear Reno in FFVII also had one but it was taken out, but he said "Zo" or something (anyone know what that means).

Is there a particluar reason Square does this but I wondered.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-16-2009, 11:59 PM
A character's personality can extend to his or her speech patterns. It's just way of making them more endearing or unique.

Despite the use of caps lock, Fujin's not supposed to be shouting, though; note that she says, for example, "LIES"—not "LIES!" In Japan, she just speaks in sentences consisting of a single kanji.

Breine
09-18-2009, 04:01 PM
A character's personality can extend to his or her speech patterns. It's just way of making them more endearing or unique.

What he said.

It just adds to the characters, bringing some diversity and such.

blackmage_nuke
09-21-2009, 02:23 PM
A character's personality can extend to his or her speech patterns. It's just way of making them more endearing or unique. their archetypes more obvious.

Except for the really weird ones like Ultimekia and FUJIN, but anything in that game can be explained by time travel

MJN SEIFER
10-03-2009, 09:58 PM

Despite the use of caps lock, Fujin's not supposed to be shouting, though; note that she says, for example, "LIES"—not "LIES!" In Japan, she just speaks in sentences consisting of a single kanji.

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for answering me, what you say makes a lot of sense.